Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really Pixelade???

TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
y'all know pixelade a'ight? well a few days ago on a now deleted tweet, he announced paid content promotion for our CC/Mod creators, then someone has said that this really saddens the community cos this person has a huge platform and should be using his voice to promote smaller creators, not charging them money for it. and we all started from the same place.

edit: PLT let's be civil here encourage ourselves to try and make what we say less mean and more constructive.

752wh30ud3x31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=df6e8bd08a719719fbc971ce5147113e3f744131
y'all got bread?

Comments

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    When on earth did a hobby like the Sims turn into a money-making machine for modders? I love creating for the games but the thought of charging money like that makes my skin crawl :'( Promoting lesser-known content creators would have been a much better use of the platforms.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I have heard of them, but never watched a video by them. While I think it's silly, I'm not mad at them for trying to sell their reach/popularity/influence. After all, if it succeeds it means there is demand for the product and if nobody buys it, the shop will close down.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    He needs the money after spending so much in giveaways 😂
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with it. He put a lot of work into building his channel, so if he wants to use it for profit, good for him for being ambitious and hardworking.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with it. He put a lot of work into building his channel, so if he wants to use it for profit, good for him for being ambitious and hardworking.

I guess...

I am pretty sure other sim tubers are doing fine without the side hustle. Hey if people want to get robbed even more on top of buying these lackluster sim games, who am I to judge. I just find it sad and the epitome of what is wrong with America in general. No one raises each other up, everyone just out for themselves. If you are doing quality work, people will be inclined to support you financially. I know I have.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't really like it but it's not really any of my business. That's how I see it. It's not a channel I watch. If creators are crazy enough to pay for having their stuff publicized by a youTube personality then that's really up to them. Personally though I think good quality creations will not need the publicity plus I see other youTube personalities recommend sim creations in their videos all the time and all they ask in return is a view and a like, maybe a subscription to their channel at most.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    That's what happens when you get famous sometimes... 💁‍♀️
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Not a wise move. Says a lot about him as a person.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Lol I haven’t watched his videos since TS3 days. I remember his Lucky Palms Let’s Play in which he complained about his family only having 5 Simoleons left, and right after that he proceeded to spend 3 of the 5 Simoleons on ice cream or something on the way back home. It made me laugh so hard seeing how he only had 2 Simoleons left afterwards. I guess he’s just as bad at managing money in real life which is why he needs more :D
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Forgive me for being dumb or blind...but what's really going on? He's offering to be paid to promote your CC and stuff?
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    @KaeChan2089 exactly...how entitled.
    y'all got bread?
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    @KaeChan2089 exactly...how entitled.

Oh wow.........that's.....LOW.....;-;
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    It's always gonna look iffy when it's presented without the background that he's since offered (people asked him for something like this, apparently).
    Regardless of the iffiness though, wow some people have gone way too far with their reactions to the whole thing. But I guess it falls under "disappointed but not surprised" on various fronts.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    @darrenfroggy he should've put a disclaimer of some sort before telling that he'll be taking fifty bucks for a single shout-out.
    y'all got bread?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @TheIntrovertSimmer oh definitely. Without something like "okay since people asked me to do something like this", it just looks like he's looking to cash in.
    But well, hindsight and all that.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    I think that boy shouldve had a nap first before posting that.

I watch his stuff sometimes, so I dont consider myself a follower of his. He always seemed to have a new video up with "news" that really wasnt news. Like do we really need a new video every 5 seconds about some vague inconsequential tweet from a dev and claim its "news"?

Actually, I am glad he talks about the guru’s tweets because I am not on Twitter, but like knowing what the guru’s say. Also, I don't see anything wrong with him making money from sponsoring modders. Some of his video’s are informative, others are so so. Iron seagull makes really good video’s.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Oh wow. Oh yikes yikes yikes. iirc, the Sims team doesn't like this sort of thing, right? Like, people should NOT be making money off mods.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Honestly kinda disgusting.

I hope no one pays him. Its just mods/CC. I understand wanting people to use your custom content but you dont get anything from it so wasting money is pointless
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    This doesn't sound like the best of business models, if we're to see it as such. There are plenty of other Youtubers who play Sims that can give mentions to your cc for free; it helps if they also like it as well and use it very much in their games too. But if he wants to play it like James Charles where you're charged $500-600 for a lame photo shoot and bad singing, he's more than welcome to. I stopped following his antics only a few weeks ago anyway.

Also I don't expect this thread to stay open for long bc we're not allowed to create threads openly bashing people...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2019
    Can't expect much from a click bait youtube channel unfortunately. (Iron Seagull is right behind him. Take whatever little visual information people saw in a trailer and go buck wild, "TODDLERS IN UNIVERSITY,ROBOT INVASION, SIMSTAGRAM, STUDENT LOANS AND MORE")

Worse part is this is pretty much a thing with people with some bigger channels and people paying them just to promote and shout them out. Seen it with instagram and twitter for sure. Just to get their name out there.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    He's a click bait channel most of the time anyway. What did people expect?

Him and iron are the most clickbait ever😒😒 saw a thumbnail of his video(pixel) suggesting a color wheel was possibly coming because it was in the trailer yesterday.
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Oh wow. Oh yikes yikes yikes. iirc, the Sims team doesn't like this sort of thing, right? Like, people should NOT be making money off mods.

No, the Sims team does not do this. Can say a lot of things about EA's practices, but they do not do this stuff as the likes of Bethesda encourages. Ever since that foorah about modders actually selling their content through Steam came up and Bethesda endorsing it, I started losing respect for Bethesda then. Valve did listen to people then and cancelled it, but Bethesda has still encouraged it, and it is only a minority of modders who have wanted to do that in the first place. I don't mind supporting a good modder and content creator through Patreon or such, but outright profiting on content that isn't even entirely their creation is just wrong, and can potentially lead to lawsuits that could end up causing government interference to the point that any modded and custom content ends up stifled to the point of obsolescence.
    All gamers will end up getting hurt by this, even those who do prefer to stay with base game content, because there is a lot of content created and imagined by modders that inspires developers to put into the main game, including Sims 4.
    For example, Kerbal Space Program started as a simple model rocketry simulator, but through that a lot of modders were inspired to also create aeronautic content for it, when the engine at the time wasn't even coded for such physics. But because of their success in creating that, and how many gamers adopted that content into their game, the developers(Squad) were inspired to challenge themselves to add that feature to the game, and it only improved it 200%. I think it even created pressure on the engine developer, Unity, to improve the game engine as well, so a lot of other games benefited from that.
    This is the real concern I have, and with everything that has happened so far, it feels a real tangible concern. So, yes, what Pixelade is doing is wrong and it should be avoided. This is nothing more than a cashgrab, and at its simplest will only encourage stolen modded content to end up on the menu. That is a real thing that occurs, where people take someone else's work and sell it as if it were their own, and I highly doubt Pixelade has the resources or the willingness to do their due diligence to verify any modded content they push through their service. Because for one thing there is no copyright to such content. There can't be when it rides so closely on the work of others.

Good modders do give a lot, and they deserve appreciation for what they do, but this is not how to do it.