Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Buy Mode in TS4... my little review

Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
Hi :D
Build Buy was presented by Aaron Houts: http://aahouts.com/
On Twitter

*Correction!

The Sims 4 has combined build/buy mode.
*Sorry about the long read without many pictures... we weren't allowed to take any til the end.

As we all know, TS3 introduced blueprints. The ability to plop down premade rooms. TS4 has combined blueprints and the standard build and buy tools and twisted them into one. Not only to make it easier for beginners but still functional for the experienced builder. Hopefully... I'm sure we'd all love to actually try it out to see!

Okay... the first thing that gives many some hesitation- The square walls to plop down, right? Well, yes- that's been added to make it easier for beginners but there's still our much beloved regular wall tool to make our own rooms (made me feel better, too). :)
With the regular wall tool, once a room shape is made it works the same way as the box room that can be placed- the room can be rotated, moved, lifted to another level, and dragged into another room or only partially into another room. It's a freestyle builders dream (imo)... which I am, most of the time.

And that's for empty rooms, you ask? Well, yes- and no. It's also possible with fully built rooms- Yay (I know!).

In TS3, trying to expand a fully furnished room can be a pain- cabinets can interfere with expanding- but not anymore- cabinets will be added (and can be removed) if they're against the wall when the room is expanded (pulling them just like TS3)! Nice- right?

I did see objects moving in as the rooms were made smaller but I forget at what point or if objects will be deleted as the room shrinks... (I blame my bad note taking and my attention on the screen for this missing information :XD: )

But back to building a room... dragging a room is nice and kinda convenient but some would think not always necessary... until you want to move the whole house. Which will be possible- Gasp!.
No more dragging one wall at a time or? .... wait- the stairs. Oh, how the stairs can get in the way, right?- Got to delete them and then move the walls and foundation in TS3- but not in TS4. Stairs will now be moveable... That's right- grab the foundation stairs and move them out of the way or to a new area. (Stairs will just sit there and not sink into the ground- they'll also be unusable while there)
No more deleting and replacing stairs to expand the houses... Sweet! :D
-bad news: Still no Diagonal stairs. :(

So, move the stairs out of the way and move the Whole House- one, two... or wherever around the lot. Can we say Awesome- well, I might have at that point. O.O :mrgreen:

I did say the rooms can be lifted to the next level- which so far is only 3 floor levels high* and a roof. I guess it's good that a roof doesn't take up one level but so far, houses are limited to 3 levels. Sadness- :(
**The foundation is not considered a level- it's part of the ground floor- if my notes are reliable. :mrgreen:

Okay, I was saying; moving a room to another level- we now don't need to have support to build another level. The second floor can hang over another level however far we want or who needs the lower level?... which actually does make building easier. I can't count how many times I've had to stop adding a wall to put in some support for the second story, and once it's done I'd remove the support. :XD:

Walls and rooms and the whole house can be rearranged around the lot... Okay. But what else you ask?

Windows... windows can now be placed by room with just a click. Evenly spaced windows placed with a click- if you're a new builder it means no more trying to make sure the windows are facing out, no more counting squares or not knowing if they're spaced right- click and windows are placed evenly (as long as there isn't something blocking that space such as a picture on the inside wall).

Window can still be placed one at a time for the more diehard builders, too... like me. ;)

Foundations have been made simple... uh, oh! Changed your mind on having a foundation? With a click they can be added to the whole house. click- foundation added or removed and given heights- different foundation heights? Yes... iirc. ;)
Now, that sounds great and it is, really-

[color=darkred no basement tool or ability to dig a basement.[/color]
This has to be corrected- The No in my notes meant No comment at this time. I do apologize for the wrong information.

So far it's nice... it's got some Fabulous tools but it doesn't give a wow factor? What, easy room placement, moving the whole house, expanding rooms without removing cabinets and wall things, moving stairs around; not yet...

Okay- We've all seen the curved fences. They're like the curved pool edges in TS3 in placement- choose the curved fence and plop it down.... They're cute, they're fun looking- but they're not walls. Nope, no curved walls- Yet. They did say yet. The Maxis team is still working on curved walls. *fingers crossed*

They have added the ability to place posts into fence rails.. .no more moveobjects to add posts, no more trying to slide the posts as close as they can go so we don't use the MOO code... they will place right inside the rails. (simulated picture here :D )

screenshot_original.jpg"width=300"

Cute, okay... what else? Hm...Aaron wouldn't say the lots sizes or how they'd be placed in the neighborhoods. That was Not On Topic and they wouldn't talk about the neighborhood- sigh. Fine- back house building 101 in TS4.

I guess we'll jump to paint- yes, there isn't a CASt. No CASt was shown at all. There were filters for finding the wall pattern- useful but we're used to some filters.

Painting walls- I always got a little ticked at painting walls and think I was done but, Oops- the fence stopped the paint from going all the way around. Well, the paint will go all the way around now- fences won't stop if you want to paint the whole outside wall area with one click- or just paint room by room or the whole section of the wall- It's handy. :)

Wall heights... No more placefriezes on code (pretty much Maxis is trying to get rid of build codes; no constrainfloorelevation code either)- there will be a click option for wall height. 3 different wall height per floor options! (I'm trying to think if there were windows and door sizes to fit the different wall heights... I think so.

My mind seems to say yes, even if there aren't any notes on it. :lol: - don't laugh. I think I was in concentrating very hard at this time ;) )

Back to wall height- Aaron showed us a few times. Each level can have different heights- but it's per level, iirc. Not one room one height but by levels. The tools seem to be set up by levels- like the whole bottom level can have a foundation added but not added to only one area of the house.

Roofs- well, there are roof choices. The open, closed, flat roofs but the best is the roof tool. It's like CAS with the ability to grab and move. Looking at the pictures (which we wish we had or could use) there are arrow points on the roof-

crude illustration here
. :XD:
1044506_1400390700188874_72701770_n.jpg"width=450"

Extent the roof, pull up to raise, push down to shorten and curve, pull edges down to lengthen. It's intuitive and looks fun. Better than having to choose which to use or if it doesn't look right.

But that's not all- roofs can now have individual color and style and pitch... yes, now we can have different colored roofs with different patterns- that's what my notes say. lol

...with Eaves! Roofs with eaves and no need for CC. I don't know why but I had to give a little- Yay! :D

i5.jpg"width=250"

... and Spandrels. Spandrels, you think? What are they... well, they give that Gingerbread look to houses.
spandrel1.jpg?w=595"width=300"

Now, without pictures I'm not sure if they're with the roofs or with the porch rails- Pretty sure it's with the rails... Gaw, I might have been staring too much to write down more then- "Awesome- Spandrel (?)!" but I'm learning. They looked lovely, I do remember that. :XD:

Lighting has been improved- no more lines on the upper levels where the light stops. Sad to still have in TS3 though. :(
Okay... I'm trying to remember if there was anything else that made me smile or frown before I move on to the buy section of build buy mode, but nothing else is forcing itself out. So, on to buy mode.

I can honestly say I did frown at this. The Catalog... No more buying sections but full room catalog buy mode. It's there to make decorating easier which really should have made me ecstatic but it didn't. Don't ask me why...

The ability to plop a fully furnished room into a box left me a little cold. Yet it's Awesome for beginners, I get that.

I had to make myself listen to Aaron and see that we still had the ability to click on the sink in the catalog picture and choose the style and to place that one sink instead of the whole pre-done room. The buy tools are still there but redone and refocused for a new builder, the next Simmer generation. (I don't feel old at all! :XD: )

So, clicking and dragging (? I might have had a mental freeze at the catalog and didn't get it all) will decorate the whole room. It can be changed with filters for each piece of furnishings so it's got the design function.

I'm just thinking I'll have to get used to the interface of decorating with a catalog layout instead of room icons. It's the same yet more modern in setup. :D

An nice feature... wall hangings. (alt key) They're not set to the grid squares or half square placement but can be slide all over the wall. Yes- up, down, in a circle- it looked just like the pictures were being slide around on the wall to find the perfect placement. Cool! :D

With mirrors- they can be placed anywhere too but for them to be used they do have to be at the standard height. :D

I wrote- Ceilings!... but what else I meant by that, well, I'm guessing someone else wrote it down.

That's pretty much it- decoration has a new catalog interface for placing a room or choosing each piece.
No CASt. . . color fan options.
There were plants and they did have animations... not many to see at that time but trees and bushes and flowers are there. :D
-He wouldn't talk about pools or ponds. The neighborhood, and lot sizes or placement...
-Didn't show any cars or garage stuff, now that I think about it. :XD:

Overall there are the same tools most of us are used to but in a different place. There are newer tools and things we've wanted for ages , like being able to move the whole house, eaves, ; and stuff left out, like basements... I'm really liking the New Build buy mode!

• Room movement
• House movement
• Easy window placement
• Better painting options
• awesome roof tool
• individual roof colors and styles
• posts right into rails
• spandrels
• curved corner fence
• condensed decorating
• foundation by one click
• picture placements
• ... I know there's more but I'm running out of time :XD:

Bad points- imo
No Comment on basements at this time.
• No CASt
• No info on lot size, placements style, neighborhood, ponds, pools...
• didn't get to actually use Build buy
• not sure about the catalog but it's just another UI for decorating and I can get used to it...

Still checking to see if I missed much- cause I'm sporadic in my righting here... :mrgreen:

Pictures provided by Bartek Ufnal -Thank you! :D
https://www.facebook.com/b.ufnal

*(These are pictures of the screen and not screenshots of the game- quality is not represented by these)
screenshot_original.jpg"width=650"

I will try to answer any questions. :D

Hope it's readable- I've not written more than a few paragraphs in ages! :XD:

*There is a Day/Night toggle for the lots.
***The Sims 4 game engine is new, it's not a SimCity nor Icebox engine.

**If there are things I missed or have incorrect, I have no problem being corrected. I know my note taking skills are atrocious and I haven't read anyone elses reports. So, Correct me if and when you see something! :XD:

Comments

• juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thankyou very very very much for telling us all this!!!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    edited September 2013

Oh! You're welcome. :mrgreen:

SimsVIP has a list of all the posts and interview videos (My speakers aren't working so I can't hear them! Which they might have helped with my post information) :(

http://simsvip.com/2013/08/26/sims-gamescom-fansite-preview-list/#more-28558
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thankyou very much again, I didn´t know it
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hi Rflong! Thanks so much for all the info, loved how you typed it up...made me laugh in a few spots. :lol:

Very excited with the new info but no CASt still has me worried. I love my patterns in sims 3 and would really, really hate giving them for sims 4. No CASt wouldn't color my decision to buy sims 4 but would make me really, really sad. :(

Great report honey!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2013
    Very interesting and informative. I am really liking the curved fences, the ability to finally put the rail post in the fences without moo, and most of all the curved counters and the versatile styling ability of the roofs and all that sweet trim. Maybe even I can make more acceptable houses without having a stroke. hehehe

Stairs sound fabulous as do windows - but best is the ability to move the whole house. How many times I have built a house and discovered I did not start in the right spot in the lot - so either had to move the whole thing to a bigger lot which it really didn't need when it would have been better just able to push the house a few squares over a bit. Now that is a beautiful thing.

I sort of like the fact a whole room of matching stuff gets placed seeing we can still remove or add a few pieces if we want - which is a lot better than going through page after page of chairs until I found a matching one.

But as many people I am disappointed if there is no CASt - as that was the most annoying thing in Sims 1 and 2. Had it not been for Simpe allowing us to make more styles and colors I would have gotten pretty bored with a lot of rooms. The downfall of that was having catalogues filled with 200 colors of the same chair or fences or the like - and pretty soon you had a badly bloated game. So that may be a sore point, as that means we need to depend on modders again to have a house decorated like we enjoy and bloated catalogues if we are even able to go that route. We need to know if we can even add something like simpe recolor or even if a Simpe like tool is even useable in sims 4.

Of course there will be plenty of simmers who will say - well we can depend on the modders - but of course we don't even know if the game would allow things like that or even more importantly, if modders will be going to sims 4. I know of at least 3 well known modders who have been saying they are not getting involved in Sims 4 - it's too time consuming. So for now we need to just concentrate on what EA is offering.

So for me I do see enough I really do like that makes it no question that I will try the base game when it comes out, as it has things I have wanted a long time in sims as far as building goes that can be done without the sometimes troubling cheats - as I don't like cheats. So no question about it - I love what I am seeing in that respect - which is pretty much just about everything you have covered in your presentation. (Did I say good job on the presentation yet? Well - excellent job. Very understandable, great point, and good info for even a less than capable builder like I am.)

So I do hope they at EA heed the words of wisdom from all you wonderful builders regarding giving CASt a second thought. It is a tool I think everyone has grown to adore, and going backwards back to Sims 2 style is going to be extremely disappointing to many - MANY simmers.

Thank you so much for sharing - you did great!!!!!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• RukayaRukaya Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited September 2013
    thank you Rflong for all the info and sites. Not happy about lack of CASt. :cry: Still in wait and see mode, however.
    edited September 2013
    Thanks! I was so nervous writing it up... My notes aren't the best cause I was trying to see it all and listen that I made little squiggly notes that even I had to decipher. :lol:

I'm not good at technical writing and listing so I just wrote it as if I was talking to everyone. :blush:

While I don't mind not having CASt right away and I do feel I can have fun without it, I know how it's gonna limit long term play plus how it will get to be necessary for later in the game. When we have more expansions and really want to expand our games, to really push what they have already.

I'm still worried about the sharing part... :D

The pictures do show some more of the neighborhood. Not that we know anything. :(

.... Doesn't the background land and shapes- painting and sculpting- remind people of CAW? Just like in TS3?
    edited September 2013
    Well it is obviously a map made hood because it is not flat and it has a variety of textures like CAW. But in sims 2 we could have that if we built our own hood by building a world in Sim City 4. Then adapting that to a template so it was useable in the game. So not having tried the new Sim City to see the land capabilities - it is really impossible to tell if they used that program and made a the world then transferred it to a template or if they used a CAW.

If I was guessing and going by the limitations of Sims City 4 - well what I recall of it as it has been since Sims 2 AL since I used Sims City 4 - I would guess it was a CAW tool. Reminds me a lot of World Builder 3.4 - seeing it also has animations in the trees and flora and stuff - and Sims City 4 did not. So did you try the new sim city and if you did - does it have breeze animations for trees and such? If it doesn't like sims City 4 - then that would be definitely a World Builder tool which means yes to a CAW like tool.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited September 2013
    I haven't played the new SimCity game. I did have SimCity4 and I built many maps for TS2... still have it. ;)

But, TS4 is on a new Game engine- it's not SimCity or Icebox (this is in my Build buy notes so I'm hoping I can say :shock: ).
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited September 2013
    O.K. The question I am still asking is why I should be paying $1000 to $2000 over the next five years for a game I already own and have paid for? So far, I am seeing incremental changes. But it seems that all of this could have been included in a Sims 3 patch, or a new E.P.

I have not seen anything which strikes me as being a real paradigm shift. The Sims 4 is looking like a warmed over Sims 3, with a few more features. But it comes at the cost of giving up a well developed and mature game which has many more features and much more play value.

CAST was a major selling point for the Sims 3. That, plus the open neighbourhood were the two features which induced me to move from the Sims 2 to the Sims 3. Leaving CAST out is. A major step backwards. I really don't want to pay for a game which leaves out important features and cuts corners.

The absence of modders and uncertainty as to the availability of modding tools also raises red flags. We all know that EA's implementation of key features, like the story progression were half baked, and the modding community ultimately fixed them. If this is being done on a tight budget, as has been the case with the Sims 3, we can only look forward to a very buggy piece of software. That it only in an early alpha at this stage gives cold comfort. If modders do not step in to fix things, we could be left with an unplayable coaster.
    edited September 2013
    Hi! I do have a correction to make. Good or bad- well,...

The No on basements in my notes refers to No Comment at this time! So, we don't know if there are basements yet or not.

Sorry about that. :blush:

Thanks, Crinrict, for catching and correcting me. And Thanks so much for clarifying it, SimGuruHouts. :mrgreen:
    edited September 2013
    TJ - then I suggest you sit back and observe - but all the sims series have always been related and if they drastically changed it a lot of us would no longer see the game we so much love - even as imperfect as it has tended to be. I am not made of money for sure - but I have no doubt I will be buying Sims 4 base game and judge for myself - that is the kind of person I am. EA is not telling anyone to jump onto the next series - they respect their older versions and the simmers that play them enough to include them in their new all in ONE "The Sims" forum - so I see they "get it" and understand that a new series makes some people leary while others will go blindly just because it is new.

As far as cost - I do not resent a dime I have spent on sims - not even the Sims 1 and 2 that I no longer play, because they went to other people in my family so to me the money was well spent and still giving somebody enjoyment. As my only form of recreation besides television now a days I can easily justify buying sims 4. I realize not every one is confined to their house and can go anywhere they want any time they can afford it - and have a lot more interests than gaming - so they can't really justify the expense - especially if there is nothing about the new series that sparks their interest. That is the beauty of people - we are all different - our lives are different as much as our reasons for things we can do or want to do. If you see all you want to see in Sims 3 - then I fully understand your point and respect the fact you want to stay with what you have.

We do need to respect others who see things they want in the game with new technology not possible on a 10 year old game engine which by the way I know is a 3 D game engine specifically. So saying everything in the sims 4 could be made possible for Sims 3 - well I don't agree or really disagree - as fact is we do not know that for a fact and I actually doubt some of these ideas would work at all in Sims 3. But to each their own. You have the right to believe what ever you want to and stay with Sims 3. I would rather have the best of both worlds - keep playing Sims 3 and exploring Sims 4. I have a lot of time - God willing - and can't do much else.

Rflong that is good to know it is not the Ice box or glassbox engine. That I was concerned about. So it does sound like a new CAW for sure then. As Sims City 4 and Sims 2 were built on the same engine according to what is listed in the core game engine lists. There is no entry yet in there for Sims 4 but there is one for the new Sims City. So that alone relieves my mind of any doubts I had at all.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited September 2013
    I just read an interview that SimGuruGraham did where he states that they built their own engine for the Sims 4. That was a pretty clear answer to me. :wink:

Nice review, Rflong! Very well organized and explained. And I actually loved your little drawings. :mrgreen:

ETA: Article is here: http://www.nowgamer.com/features/2076960/the_sims_4_offline_single_player_new_features_meteors_at_weddings.html

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited September 2013
    HI Rflong,

Thanks for all the new info and links. I checked out a few of the other write-ups posted on sims VIP too. You did a great job writing this all up. Thank you!

I too will mist the CAST tools if they are not added in before game release, but I will learn to adapt if it is now included. I am excited to hear about the new roof tools. They sound awesome!
  • aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited September 2013
    Rflong, your write up is my favorite I've seen so far... :) Thanks for putting in all the details of your thoughts. You clarified some things I didn't get elsewhere.

It looks really cool but I won't want to give up the functionality we have with CASt and all our expansion packs... I'm sure I'll wait until they've released a few EPs, unless I really am impressed by what they do with neighborhoods/worlds. Hmm...
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the review RFlong. =)
    I enjoyed it, I like the sound of most the features. Love the way the roof works. Just very nervous about the ability (or lack thereof) to decorate builds. Excited for the Spandrels.
  • Verbaltee99Verbaltee99 Posts: 403 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Well it is obviously a map made hood because it is not flat and it has a variety of textures like CAW. But in sims 2 we could have that if we built our own hood by building a world in Sim City 4. Then adapting that to a template so it was useable in the game. So not having tried the new Sim City to see the land capabilities - it is really impossible to tell if they used that program and made a the world then transferred it to a template or if they used a CAW.

If I was guessing and going by the limitations of Sims City 4 - well what I recall of it as it has been since Sims 2 AL since I used Sims City 4 - I would guess it was a CAW tool. Reminds me a lot of World Builder 3.4 - seeing it also has animations in the trees and flora and stuff - and Sims City 4 did not. So did you try the new sim city and if you did - does it have breeze animations for trees and such? If it doesn't like sims City 4 - then that would be definitely a World Builder tool which means yes to a CAW like tool.

Looking at the shots shown so far, map is definitely not made from SimCity. I don't even think their are files like the .sc4 terrain files, I haven't found 'em at least. There is an image released of a Victorian style house with a park in the background and two Sims communicating on the bottom left. This image to me proves that The Sims 4 isn't using a CAW. A lot of the contents of the image seem to look like the were put together in a game designing software like Maya. You've even said yourself that the team use a plugin for a design program. They've made a new engine so CAW is instantly thrown out the window which means the plugin is gone too. Since they've been using a plugin for another piece of software, it would be more efficient to continue using it with a new plugin rather then develop a new program. They could ultimately release that plugin, but I doubt many people would go for it because game designing software can be quite daunting for beginners, which there are a lot of in this community.

I'm not too fussed on no CASt yet, it would be nice to have but I can wait. I mean Sims 1 and 2 never had it and I still enjoy it. Only downside is a lot of creations are going to look a little bit too similar because of the restrictive pallet to choose from.

The one thing I'm loving so far from TS4 is how much the world so far seen remind's me of The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Pets on console. I really enjoyed the world, it was a shame it wasn't open but it was nice to look at. A lot of the build/buy objects were pretty cool. Irrelevant but I feel like worth mentioning, they also had the best cooking system, pick 4 ingredients from a fridge and you could make them into anything depending on the selection and process used. Should maybe bring that back for TS4 :wink:
    edited September 2013

Glad it was okay to read. :mrgreen:

SC4 reference was for TS2- I did enjoy that back then. :D
    I was thinking the background neighborhood reminds me of TS3. If not then that's fine. I hope there's something to expand our worlds- in game or out, it maters not to me but the fun of playing. :D
    edited September 2013
    Verbatee - the plug in was for Maya and was world builder. Caw was built off the Maya plug in world builder - that is not from me but from Sim Guru's who posted that info in a thread last year. I just repeated it. That is why I believe it is the new Maya World builder plug in as Rflong as has already more or less made it clear that Sims 4 and Sims City have two different game engines - and the world building program would need the same game engine - so that meant to me Sims City was out.

What ever they do I just hope for Rflong and all the others who get the most joy building they have a good tool for the game for these folks who love that. That's all.

Yes Rflong I do love your review and the changes - very understandable and fun to read. Some reviews make my eyes cross because they don't always hold my interest - where yours is very interesting from start to finish. Love it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• lanoartlanoart Posts: 4 New Member
    Enjoyed Reading all your comments. Since I am new to Sims4, after a few years since using Sims1, I am at a loss as to how to use this new roof tool. Any help would be appreciated. Can't even delete my mistakes. Thanks
  • lanoartlanoart Posts: 4 New Member
    Never mind. I finally got it. :)