Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

Comments

• OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The trailer was cute and made me laugh a few times. Loved the reactions at the end with her two friends. Love that there are loans and you can lose scholarships if you miss too many lectures/classes, or are failing(?), and while I'm not sure .. if you can "bring" your toddlers to college with you.. maybe you *can* get pregnant and have the baby there while going to college (?), or maybe it is that you can bring them. So, that's interesting and *new*.

However, :( I'm not gonna lie.. I'm a little bummed. This is definitely looking like we're not getting Sorority Houses and Frats. Not sure how I feel about "dorms". I don't really like apartments and haven't had any of my Sims live in one, yet.. so hopefully Sims can live at home and go to college.. I know we can move off campus, but was hoping for a sorority and frat system/experience. As I would have loved more group activities (aside from studying, etc).

I'm not fussed about the lack of Greek houses. They're mostly an American thing, and not even all American schools have them (my daughter's doesn't, and it's a large state university in a very large city.) Clubs may not be an ideal solution to substitute in, but it should be a workable one.

Didn't learn a lot new from the trailer, but did get a fair amount of confirmation. It is nice to know you can transfer schools between the two, and it was kinda fun seeing the toddler there.

Hopefully the livestream expands a bit more on what we saw. I've shifted from "Maybe, if it doesn't mess up my gameplay otherwise" to "Eventually... when the pack is on sale" so that's something.

I understand completely that others may not want them. It's not a deal breaker that we don't have them. I'm just a little sad about it, because I really want more activities for Sims to do together, some activities that could shape their personalities more. I definitely liked the off campus house we saw in the trailer, so I'll be okay with that, as long as the game-play is filling and we get a lot of stuff that can add some personality to our young adults into adulthood. If that makes sense. :/
    Really hoping the next expansion pack adds a system for "wants/fears" or hobbies, (likes/dislikes) type of systems doesn't have to be the full focus of the pack.. but something to give them some more depth.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    One thing I didn't like about the trailer -- the suggestion that teaching is a career where you have lots of time to party. Not true. I've taught at the college level and have friends and family who teach high school and middle school. Teaching is a very rewarding career with many benefits, but lots of free time isn't one of them. I spent my weekends and evenings grading papers, as did most of my colleagues.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    One thing I didn't like about the trailer -- the suggestion that teaching is a career where you have lots of time to party. Not true. I've taught at the college level and have friends and family who teach high school and middle school. Teaching is a very rewarding career with many benefits, but lots of free time isn't one of them. I spent my weekends and evenings grading papers, as did most of my colleagues.

Can confirm. Though I took the trailer portrayal of it as one of someone who has ideals about said career while not knowing much about the reality of it. Which people do if they've not been around teachers in their families. If I had a Euro for every time I heard "but teachers get so much time off"... (several friends and family members were/are teachers. time off for them is a distant dream)
    edited November 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Wow! I'm glad everyone else has pretty much expressed my thoughts because I have no words. But I am impressed that they made a gameplay trailer with no gameplay in it. Congrats devs. Did anyone notice what was missing from the trailer? No one was riding a bicycle, anywhere. I saw one leaning against the house, but that's it.

I hope everyone realizes that they have gotten better at making nothing look like something. There are no sports but you can join a sports club and everyone can kick a soccer ball by themselves together.

And while the secret society looks good in their robes and masks, why are they in another hidden world (and they told us that not enough players use the two hidden ones we already have) or is it one of the ones we already have? Doesn't matter because a secret society should meet in a hidden room in the basement or attic plotting how to take over the world. So what's with the magic stuff and being "Blessed"?

And someone (young apparently) please tell me what "Julia is a whole mood" means. Is that another silly phrase like "It made me feel a certain way"? Of course you felt a certain way, you're alive and thinking and breathing. You feel all day long, every day. Great, now I'm a whole mood.

It's good to see the cafeteria but unless it can be used outside of the pack in the real world, it might as well be a bicycle.

I do give the devs credit for one thing. Anyone remember a teacher telling a kid (or you :D ) that if you put as much effort into actually studying as you do into trying to get out of studying, you'd be class valedictorian? Devs, you could be class valedictorian.

I didnt even realize that the cafeteria was there at the end :o

I'm glad that's there. I was hoping there would be or have that guy who cooks for you like in sims 2 university.

Also "Julia is a whole mood" in this context meant that they found her character to be very relatable. It's kinda hard to explain. Youth slang doesn't always make sense.

I know I'm old and there's things the youth of today say and do that I just don't get but, it seems at odds to create a trailer for a university EP for our sims to seek higher learning and have Julia talk as if she too cool to talk like the adult she is trying to be. I highly doubt that a lawyer speaks like she did and if my kids teacher did, I'd find a way to home school them. :D

Did you use the slang of your day when working in official capacities at your place of employment?

I still use slang now but only around my friends who know I'm more educated than that. I never had a job where I dealt with the public on a daily basis, but if I did, I wouldn't use slang of any type. It's unprofessional. And I certainly wouldn't use it when trying to sell something to a group of possible buyers around the world.

Do you think people would trust a teacher or lawyer that spoke like that? What about a bank teller or a waitress or a doctor? I think the choice of slang was a bad one to promote a pack about higher education. [Comment removed by EA_Mai]

The trailer doesn't show a teacher in a class environment with students, especially not students on the lower education levels. She's talking to her friends.
    The pack is about students, not working professionals. I think the slang is perfectly fitting the theme.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The trailer doesn't show a teacher in a class environment with students, especially not students on the lower education levels. She's talking to her friends.
    The pack is about students, not working professionals. I think the slang is perfectly fitting the theme.
    There’s a part towards the end where Julia is dressed more like a teacher and is dancing near some sims who are rolling their eyes at her. I think that is what is being referenced.
    babajayne wrote: »
    There’s a part towards the end where Julia is dressed more like a teacher and is dancing near some sims who are rolling their eyes at her. I think that is what is being referenced.

And that's a) here imagining her as a teacher and more importantly b) still not in a class environment but with other students. If it's her as a college professor, I'm reasonably sure slang use wouldn't be as horrifying to the students and the parents would have very little say in their offspring's impression of their teachers.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    No need for this to become a young vs old thing. I am young (I don't think we are allowed to state ages) and I found it kind of offensive the way we are referred to in here. Although I am young I grew up in an isolated environment so I don't always "get" social media, slang terms or a lot of things people my age are into. And neither do I "get" a lot of what people of older ages might be into.

However,I remain respectful to both sides equally. It's okay if we don't always understand eachother or agree but we can atleast be respectful because you people of older age were young once. And us young people will become older one day and wonder what the heck these young people are talking about 🙈🙈
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited November 2019
    If you want to enjoy your youth, don't do it in college where you'll have more adult responsibilities than you can handle. And don't take out loans that you won't pay back. [Comment removed by EA_Mai]

Well, it's still a game. We can do worse things in Sims than being irresponsible and taking out huge loans — drown sim in a pool, for example.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    welp, the only thing about the trailer that weirded me out was that she is not talking simlish :D
    but seriously, nothing really new infowise, good to know there will be schoolarships/loans, so maybe if you are a good student as a teen you'll get a schoolarship? That would finally make it more rewarding to keep up those grades.
    Still hyped about the robots and curious about the secret society, hopfully it will be for the villiany majors >:)

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I'm hoping scholarships/etc. are more than just about the money - scholarship students should be able to have some benefit like maybe a scholarship-only study group or special events they can go to. Hope there are some networking events too, as those are often a big part of university. Really hoping for just lots of stuff on campus - careers fairs, student groups fairs, markets, random gatherings. Wonder if you can protest as well, I know it came in City Living but it would fit here. I'm just hoping for lots of activity - campus should be full of it, otherwise what is the point in living there.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2019
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Wow! I'm glad everyone else has pretty much expressed my thoughts because I have no words. But I am impressed that they made a gameplay trailer with no gameplay in it. Congrats devs. Did anyone notice what was missing from the trailer? No one was riding a bicycle, anywhere. I saw one leaning against the house, but that's it.

I hope everyone realizes that they have gotten better at making nothing look like something. There are no sports but you can join a sports club and everyone can kick a soccer ball by themselves together.

And while the secret society looks good in their robes and masks, why are they in another hidden world (and they told us that not enough players use the two hidden ones we already have) or is it one of the ones we already have? Doesn't matter because a secret society should meet in a hidden room in the basement or attic plotting how to take over the world. So what's with the magic stuff and being "Blessed"?

And someone (young apparently) please tell me what "Julia is a whole mood" means. Is that another silly phrase like "It made me feel a certain way"? Of course you felt a certain way, you're alive and thinking and breathing. You feel all day long, every day. Great, now I'm a whole mood.

It's good to see the cafeteria but unless it can be used outside of the pack in the real world, it might as well be a bicycle.

I do give the devs credit for one thing. Anyone remember a teacher telling a kid (or you :D ) that if you put as much effort into actually studying as you do into trying to get out of studying, you'd be class valedictorian? Devs, you could be class valedictorian.

I didnt even realize that the cafeteria was there at the end :o

I'm glad that's there. I was hoping there would be or have that guy who cooks for you like in sims 2 university.

Also "Julia is a whole mood" in this context meant that they found her character to be very relatable. It's kinda hard to explain. Youth slang doesn't always make sense.

I know I'm old and there's things the youth of today say and do that I just don't get but, it seems at odds to create a trailer for a university EP for our sims to seek higher learning and have Julia talk as if she too cool to talk like the adult she is trying to be. I highly doubt that a lawyer speaks like she did and if my kids teacher did, I'd find a way to home school them. :D

Did you use the slang of your day when working in official capacities at your place of employment?

I still use slang now but only around my friends who know I'm more educated than that. I never had a job where I dealt with the public on a daily basis, but if I did, I wouldn't use slang of any type. It's unprofessional. And I certainly wouldn't use it when trying to sell something to a group of possible buyers around the world.

Do you think people would trust a teacher or lawyer that spoke like that? What about a bank teller or a waitress or a doctor? I think the choice of slang was a bad one to promote a pack about higher education. [Comment removed by EA_Mai]

So, if you wouldn't do it, why do you assume that they would? Certainly with the volume of work required to become a teacher, let alone a legal professional, they would have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to communicate in a professional manner. I think you underestimate them.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Ancaryvan wrote: »
    Professor: Definitely Interactive.

I'm not sure how you got interactive from "adult sim dressed in vaguely professorial clothes dancing with students"
    It's 100% not an active career.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    If it's any consolation, any college-related media has always shown college life in the same way it always turns out to be, just a little different each time depending on the current generation. Animal House is a classic, but it isn't completely relateable to modern college life now.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    If it's any consolation, any college-related media has always shown college life in the same way it always turns out to be, just a little different each time depending on the current generation. Animal House is a classic, but it isn't completely relateable to modern college life now.

It actually is, and we certainly don't have to play that way. It is the sims after all and we can play whatever way we want. :) I just wish they'd shown some actual game play. Not this machinima with the * about it not all being as appearing so I don't know what I saw or what to believe other than they wrote a cute story? They told us we were getting a "game play" trailer so whatever this was, wasn't what I was expecting.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • EA_SpectreEA_Spectre Posts: 263 EA Administrator
    Hey everyone, just jumping in to remind you to stay on topic in threads. We are discussing primarily the trailer here and not who does or doesn't play the Sims 4.

And please always remember to be kind to each other and treat each other with respect.

/Spectre
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »

Oh, I laughed of that part of the trailer, as I thought it was ironic all the way. Wasn't this just how the main character was thinking? She wasn't really on top of everything, and my laughing was mostly when imagining her reaction when becoming a teacher just to find there is no time for partying at all :)

(Besides, younger simmers might find the thought of partying teachers hilarious in the first place, like if those old teachers even know how to party? Ha! :) )
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • EA_SpectreEA_Spectre Posts: 263 EA Administrator
    @Simmerville @MVWdeZT He, her friends at least are clearly aware that the reality of a teacher's life is quite a bit different. Look at their "what are you even talking about?" faces:

i22d8e7jfyez.jpg
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I'm personally excited for this pack 😊, looks good and love that sim, reminds me of my friend from school, that's when she actually turned up to school that is 😂, All them years ago lol, I think what's wrong here, is that because theirs soo much to compare it too and let be honest us simmers are quite a demanding bunch, we want everything from sims 2 university and everything from the sims 3 university and more because it's a new game lol, But being realistic here there is a budget, would you rather get something different, like what it looks here its different from the others, which I personally like, the size of world doesn't bother me, I'm really looking forward to the gameplay
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

Lots of unpopular opinions, but we all have the right to have an opinion :)

What... Person wants Rabbitholes?!
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

It may be an "unpopular opinion" but there are simmers who prefer rabbithole careers over active ones. Or classes in this case. Including me.
  • butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I think it would be cool if at least one of the new careers is active, but I’ll also be happy with semi active. Do you think we’ll find out during the livestream? I love that they showed a variety of dorms and that you can transfer schools if you want. I wonder how that will work?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

I think that if they're not able to make any actual improvements to how classes worked in TS3 (lectures at least), I can understand why some people would rather they just make them rabbit holes instead. Now, I would've enjoyed seeing them tweak that system - maybe take some inspiration from GF - but alas. I sincerely hope this pack delivers on gameplay as much as they try to make us believe. I just really can't tell.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    I think it would be cool if at least one of the new careers is active, but I’ll also be happy with semi active. Do you think we’ll find out during the livestream? I love that they showed a variety of dorms and that you can transfer schools if you want. I wonder how that will work?

I don't mind semi active either. I just dislike the timed goals in active careers. Rabbitholes and semi active careers are easier when playing rotational and with 2+ households.

I'm sure the livestream will clarify all those questions. :)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member

In the case of classes I think it works fine. Lectures and other electives I like to be active, but the premise of watchinf my sim just write, read and doze off in class isnt what I would call immersive rather than boring. Lookin at the lectures in s3 is a yawnfest for sure. I find the activites you can do in college a lot more interesting than going to class.

Just my opinion.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    mika wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Lmao video games will never cater to older folks, especially in the social media era. I am sorry to say but some of y'all are delusional. This is like expecting the hip hop industry to suddenly make a place for Christian suburban soccer moms. I'm sure some enjoy it, but...

source.gif

Forgot to add: there's no middle ground. Love it or leave it.

Well I am a Grandmother of several college students and my favorite movies that I never miss are all the Step Up movies - so sometimes music and dance doesn't have an age limit - especially tons of really talented people taking challenges to the street. I find those movies - in particular the second one the so enjoyable. Taking to the street to compete in serious dance battles and music is music to my ears and much better than taking to the streets for other battles.

Now if we could ever get the Sims to move like that I would be ecstatic.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....