Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tuition Rates

So I was wondering if there are going to be different tuition rates depending on the school like in the Sims 2. Britechester looks like it would be more expensive than Foxbury.

Comments

• mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    That would be a nice detail!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I think tuition fees will be the same for both of them. I’ve heard that the new world is based off England (and University of Britechester certainly gives me Oxbridge vibes). I live in England and all Unis here are £9,250 a year (including Oxford and Cambridge).
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Wow Uni is real cheap in England. You'd be in a big shock to go to Uni here. A fairly good Private school for little kids is more than that here in the USA. Private school for high school is 2- 3 times that a year and a fairly good Uni is 2-5 times that. You don't even want to know what the Ivy League Unis are here in the USA. Oxford is an excellent School too - and that is amazing that is all it costs in England.

One of my best friends kids just started High School which is a private school, not a boarding school and my friend had to pay almost 25,000 dollars for her daughters first year. It is a good private school but far from the best.

My granddaughter just changed Universities as she had a two year scholarship where she was going, but could not afford to pay full tuition there without a scholarship for the next two years, she is studying Nursing, and it is an okay Uni but not a highly accredited one, and it is still costing her almost 30,000 a year. The one she was at and wanted to stay at she could not afford was nearly 50,000 a year.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Wow Uni is real cheap in England. You'd be in a big shock to go to Uni here. Private school for little kids is more than that here in the USA. Private school for high school is 3 times that a year and a fairly good Uni is 3-5 times that. You don't even want to know what the Ivy League Unis are here in the USA. Oxford is an excellent School too - and that is amazing that is all it costs in England.

This is 💯 true.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think there might be a difference but it's not going to be big.

And also, as much as I'd love some sort of better money management system, I really hope the costs aren't based on inflated US ones along with loans to be paid off after.
    Wow Uni is real cheap in England. You'd be in a big shock to go to Uni here. A fairly good Private school for little kids is more than that here in the USA. Private school for high school is 3 times that a year and a fairly good Uni is 3-5 times that. You don't even want to know what the Ivy League Unis are here in the USA. Oxford is an excellent School too - and that is amazing that is all it costs in England.

One of my best friends kids just started High School which is a private school, not a boarding school and my friend had to pay almost 35,000 dollars for her daughters first year. It is a good private school but far from the best.

My granddaughter just changed Universities as she had a two year scholarship where she was going, but could not afford to pay full tuition there without a scholarship for the next two years, she is studying Nursing, and it is an okay Uni but not a highly accredited one, and it is still costing her 30,000 a year. The one she was at and wanted to stay at she could not afford was 50,000 a year.

Yeah it is cheaper in the UK but I wouldn’t call it cheap. Most of us students have to get student loans to cover it.
    edited October 2019
    Wow Uni is real cheap in England. You'd be in a big shock to go to Uni here. A fairly good Private school for little kids is more than that here in the USA. Private school for high school is 3 times that a year and a fairly good Uni is 3-5 times that. You don't even want to know what the Ivy League Unis are here in the USA. Oxford is an excellent School too - and that is amazing that is all it costs in England.

One of my best friends kids just started High School which is a private school, not a boarding school and my friend had to pay almost 35,000 dollars for her daughters first year. It is a good private school but far from the best.

My granddaughter just changed Universities as she had a two year scholarship where she was going, but could not afford to pay full tuition there without a scholarship for the next two years, she is studying Nursing, and it is an okay Uni but not a highly accredited one, and it is still costing her 30,000 a year. The one she was at and wanted to stay at she could not afford was 50,000 a year.

Yeah it is cheaper in the UK but I wouldn’t call it cheap. Most of us students have to get student loans to cover it.

Here you could not even consider going to college now a days without many student loans. It is rather awful that going to college now a days gives young people a life of just paying off their student loans.

My granddaughter was in tears yesterday that she never has time to see any of the family and College just started again a few weeks ago - between going to college and having to work at the Nursing home - she has no time or money to do anything else. She hardly ever sees her mom, her boyfriend, and she has no time to visit me. I am very ill so it upsets her terrible. She the sweetest thing too. Breaks my heart.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    It is sad to see so many students with crippling student loans. I am thankful that my state allows students to get an associate degree for free through community colleges as long as long as they keep up their grades. My youngest daughter has been able to take advantage of this program, and, if she stays with her current employer, they will cover the cost of her bachelor's degree. Unfortunately, this program started too late for my oldest who does have student loans and is currently working on her master's. Because she teaches in an area that is economically depressed, she can get some loan forgiveness after three years. That will not cover the entire cost, however. These costs are definitely inflated because I was able to pay my entire tuition at this same university with my summer farm employment plus work/study and have pocket money left over.

I am hopeful that Discover University will not have this high of a tuition! It would be nice to have on campus jobs though, so some students could work while attending school.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I hope there will be tuitions. Making money is so ridiculously easy in The Sims 4. I need some challenge.

Also, I‘ve wanted a loan system for the longest time. Not only for university tuitions but also for buying houses. I don’t know anyone who paid all cash for real estate.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    The difference in the UK is that it is standardised and subsidised by the government so that there is equal opportunity for both affluent and low-income learners to have access to the same tuition. All also have access to interest-free loans.

Scottish natives do not pay for their tuition at all which explains why so many of my Scottish friends have Masters degrees or PHDs. :lol:

It's then primarily based on academic ability although the other selection criteria based on your worldliness/cultural appreciation I imagine is also a factor with certain high-level universities.

I can imagine that the colleges in the states are a law unto themselves which is why you end up with such high fees. Is there federal control over higher education?
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    The difference in the UK is that it is standardised and subsidised by the government so that there is equal opportunity for both affluent and low-income learners to have access to the same tuition. All also have access to interest-free loans.

Scottish natives do not pay for their tuition at all which explains why so many of my Scottish friends have Masters degrees or PHDs. :lol:

It's then primarily based on academic ability although the other selection criteria based on your worldliness/cultural appreciation I imagine is also a factor with certain high-level universities.

I can imagine that the colleges in the states are a law unto themselves which is why you end up with such high fees. Is there federal control over higher education?

Nope. We have to pay interest on our student loans in England.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Not always, in every case. I had to pay for tuition for my last course as my Husband’s income was too high. There are exceptions.

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    raybigbear wrote: »
    So I was wondering if there are going to be different tuition rates depending on the school like in the Sims 2. Britechester looks like it would be more expensive than Foxbury.

Like in The Sims 2? Please explain as I remember that going to college doesn't cost anything to the household teen leaves.
    I do know that in The Sims 3 going to university costs some money depending on how much classes is your sim going to take and how many terms they're going to be in there.
  • raybigbearraybigbear Posts: 369 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Like in The Sims 2? Please explain as I remember that going to college doesn't cost anything to the household teen leaves.
    I do know that in The Sims 3 going to university costs some money depending on how much classes is your sim going to take and how many terms they're going to be in there.

O yes your right I was confusing the tuition and the scholarship system in Sims 2.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited October 2019

There is government regulation. Not all of it is federal, however. It often depends on the subsidies and grants the college accepts. In the USA, there is also the state level of government. State government has more control over higher education issues than the federal government.

Most private colleges have a lot of leeway. They are dependent on the students they are able to attract. They tend to have higher tuition fees, but students still are able to apply for scholarships, grants, and loans. Most have work/study programs as well. A few operate businesses where students can work in return for tuition. These are rare and not located in most communities.

State institutions are different. Usually they have lower tuition for state residents. Often they do not carry the prestige of private schools, but there are exceptions. Some state schools can be just as difficult to get into as a private college. Community colleges are also available. Some of these provide free education if you meet certain requirements. This varies greatly from state to state.

We do have lots of choice. I live in a rural community and there are three small private colleges in commuting distance, plus a state university (actually a regional one), a Bible college and seminary, as well as local community college. There are a few other options just across the state line.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited October 2019

Here you could not even consider going to college now a days without many student loans. It is rather awful that going to college now a days gives young people a life of just paying off their student loans.

My granddaughter was in tears yesterday that she never has time to see any of the family and College just started again a few weeks ago - between going to college and having to work at the Nursing home - she has no time or money to do anything else. She hardly ever sees her mom, her boyfriend, and she has no time to visit me. I am very ill so it upsets her terrible. She the sweetest thing too. Breaks my heart.

Does your granddaughter apply for scholarships? There are quite a few different ones out there. My son is in his fourth year of college, and so far his total debt is well under $2,000 that he doesn't have to even start paying back till six months after graduation. Yes, I am in the U.S.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2019
    I hope there will be tuitions. Making money is so ridiculously easy in The Sims 4. I need some challenge.

Also, I‘ve wanted a loan system for the longest time. Not only for university tuitions but also for buying houses. I don’t know anyone who paid all cash for real estate.

Same here! The game is so devoid of any real challenge. Its more of a struggle to keep a sim poor than it is to make them rich. Im grateful part time jobs is a thing, so I have sims that just have low-income jobs for careers. But I still want more to do with the huge amounts of money in the game. As for tuition, I dont want a mere couple hundreds of simoleons. I'd like to see a 1k a semester minimum, with options for tuition scaling. Id be happy if I saw 5k-10k a semester. And yes to loans. I know loans suck in the real world, but I want them for my sims. A percentage of a loan can be taken out with the household bills.
    edited October 2019

Not Universities, private schools, or boarding schools. Community colleges depend on the community in question. Federal only gives kids kindergarten through 12 grade a free education and only in what is called public schools here in the USA. Anything else the parents pay for or qualify for a grant or some other means of earning the fees for tuition schools.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2019
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »

Does your granddaughter apply for scholarships? There are quite a few different ones out there. My son is in his fourth year of college, and so far his total debt is well under $2,000 that he doesn't have to even start paying back till six months after graduation. Yes, I am in the U.S.

She had a two year scholarship at the first Uni but needed almost 50,000 to stay there for her Junior year. The two years she had she earned in High school between her excellent grades and 8 years of Softball. She couldn't qualify for any grants at this time - but if she keeps a 4.0 average this year at Uni she can earn another scholarship for her Senior year. The trouble is paying for this year - the only way she can do it is work full time and save every penny.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I think tuition fees will be the same for both of them. I’ve heard that the new world is based off England (and University of Britechester certainly gives me Oxbridge vibes). I live in England and all Unis here are £9,250 a year (including Oxford and Cambridge).

Wow, really? That is cheap compared to Universities in the U.S. as they cost a fortune. Need close to half a million if you want to be a doctor (if you get loans, be prepared to be in debt. Hey, they should do that for the sims. People wanted realism and what is more realistic than crippling debt?). The cheapest is the local colleges and they tend to be so-so.
    edited November 2019
    EgonVM wrote: »

In Sims 2 they had monthly costs that was deducted from your sims just like bills and rent was. It came to the mailbox in front of the dorm your sims lived in. I believe if your student didn't have enough money the money came out of his/her families income, but I am not positive of that. I know my sims played in bands to earn tips to cover his/her costs at Uni so they always had enough money for their monthly costs at college. It became more expensive though when my sims moved to a Greek house I built or a frat or sorority as bills at those places were always higher.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    This would be a very awesome feature, I do hope it'll be included in the pack! But I think they'll be the same rate for both universities.
    edited November 2019
    This would be a very awesome feature, I do hope it'll be included in the pack! But I think they'll be the same rate for both universities.

The rates varied in Sims 2 depending on where the sims lived. Some of the dorms were real cheap until my sim dressed up their room - then it got much more expensive - but it was still cheaper to be in a dorm than a frat, sorority, or Greek house or private house or apartment - even with roommates.

In dreams - I LIVE!