Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we talk about the sims 4 rebrand vidio ?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    ceyric wrote: »
    Besides being cringey.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKVaEM0VfXU
    I feel like this video is manipulating.It feels like they took a bunch of people with self-esteem issues than put them on the center. The thing is this game is not meant to be a safe space, and you shouldn't be using this game as the main comfort. I have issues as well, and this does not sit well with me.

I do not like this ad at all. It's irresponsible. A video game should never ever be suggested as an alternative for counseling. I'm surprised that they didn't get much backlash for this ad.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I just think video games should be fun to play.

Unfortunately, the reality is that when people are depressed or their lives aren't good for whatever reason, some turn to drugs, others turn to gambling, some turn to video games, etc. Anything to distract one from the fact that their actual life isn't the best. I do wish that wasn't the case.

Yes, I understand that people use escapism as a way to deal with depression and other issues. And that is what makes this advertisement even more reprehensible. Instead of a video game, what if an alcohol company used this theme for advertising? As I said before, this ad is exploitative.

Edit: It's not a group of people hanging out and sharing their experiences. It's an advertisement. That is why it is gross.
    Though I agree with you basically, I’m not sure this comparison is entirely accurate, because there is of course more to a Sims game than just being a game that allows you to escape reality (and I guess that’s what they’re mainly focusing on here). It’s a life simulation game that allows you in the most free, sandbox kind of way to play out a life every way you want to. I stand by my opinion about this video and how it crosses a line it shouldn’t cross, but there is more to it than just advertising addiction.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Besides being cringey.
    I feel like this video is manipulating.It feels like they took a bunch of people with self-esteem issues than put them on the center. The thing is this game is not meant to be a safe space, and you shouldn't be using this game as the main comfort. I have issues as well, and this does not sit well with me.

I do not like this ad at all. It's irresponsible. A video game should never ever be suggested as an alternative for counseling. I'm surprised that they didn't get much backlash for this ad.

Unfortunately, the reality is that when people are depressed or their lives aren't good for whatever reason, some turn to drugs, others turn to gambling, some turn to video games, etc. Anything to distract one from the fact that their actual life isn't the best. I do wish that wasn't the case.

Yes, I understand that people use escapism as a way to deal with depression and other issues. And that is what makes this advertisement even more reprehensible. Instead of a video game, what if an alcohol company used this theme for advertising? As I said before, this ad is exploitative.

Edit: It's not a group of people hanging out and sharing their experiences. It's an advertisement. That is why it is gross.
    Yeah it does feel like exploiting someone's life. I rather have people share their experiences than have it as a marketing ploy.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    I feel like this is really unethical shady ground here. I hate this ad. They had to do something though, they couldn't advertise how in depth and awesome these "new" sims were anymore because that simply wasn't true. However, this is equally untrue. We all need to escape sometime, but preying on the weak or insecure or depressed is a garbage tactic. They could/should have chosen a different route to take people and their stories to advertise this game.

I felt sick when I saw this ad and felt bad that I'd spent money and supported a product that would exploit mental health.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Besides being cringey.

Though I agree with you basically, I’m not sure this comparison is entirely accurate, because there is of course more to a Sims game than just being a game that allows you to escape reality (and I guess that’s what they’re mainly focusing on here). It’s a life simulation game that allows you in the most free, sandbox kind of way to play out a life every way you want to. I stand by my opinion about this video and how it crosses a line it shouldn’t cross, but there is more to it than just advertising addiction.

Joanne, I'm speaking as someone who both has struggled with clinical depression my entire life and someone who has dealt with MMO addiction. There is really a difference in an ad that talks about "playing with life" and this. I would not find this bothersome if a bunch of people were sharing on reddit (or wherever) these stories. I would be a bit concerned for some of them, but escape and fantasies can be sanity saving. The issue comes in when it's an advertisement. They're not talking about playing with life -- they're talking about dealing with life. I understand why someone would play under those circumstances -- it just should not be a selling point.
    Oh we absolutely agree there. It shouldn’t.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited October 2019
    Oh, this is just...bad. Not only are they using the overly-sappy faux music box style music, but they also stooped to out-of-focus Christmas Lights for the background too? Really? And then the heartfelt testimonials from young, decently good-looking players...and did they actually get people who played TS4 first and have never touched any of the other games, or are most of these people players who started with TS2 or TS3 when they were younger and just kind of play TS4 because it has the best build mode and CAS out of all of them, but go back to the older games when the cruddy AI and weak gameplay start getting on their nerves? How many hours of footage where these players talk about the parts of the game that bug them are on the proverbial cutting room floor (and, yes, even people who love the game have complaints about it, because a game can't have as many bugs, weak gameplay elements, and missed gameplay opportunities without even the people who enjoy it having some criticisms for it)? Gag me with a spoon.

Now, I'm not going to deny that this series has helped me through some tough times in the past. Wish fulfillment, storytelling, the fun of building all kinds of interesting buildings, that time-losing zen mode you get into when you're working toward something in the game...all of those experiences have helped me through the loneliness, depression, frustration, rejection, and anxiety I've been dealing with in my ongoing transition into full adulthood. However, I'm also not afraid to point out where these games are lacking, even the more beloved ones. TS2's intolerance for single parent households and the inability to take a Teen with a good relationship with a parent and have things go downhill by having the kid argue with the parent (because the option isn't even there if the relationship is good) both irk me. TS3's story progression and the way they handled werewolves both grind my gears. TS4's weak gameplay and complete lack of challenge outside of the poor AI frustrate me to no end. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate TS2's high level of customization and challenge, or TS3's open world, or TS4's amazingly improved CAS and Build Mode...it just means that, in spite of the games' high points and how much they've helped me emotionally over the years, I also see the lows and missed opportunities quite clearly.

Using testimonials from young people with real struggles as an advertising tool, a cliched P.R. stunt, and a meatshield against criticism of a game that they've been phoning it in on for the majority of its now 5-year lifespan is just low. EA, everybody. They have no couth.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    What it is saying is give us your money and we will cure your life. Snake oil ad.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    What it is saying is give us your money and we will cure your life. Snake oil ad.

OMG, Snake oil salemen... Never have I ever seen EA's mentality and behaviour summed up quote so perfectly or succinctly.
    raw
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited November 2019
    We sort of discussed this thing right when it came out. I myself would describe it cringey and a bit disgusting to the sims community. It's blatantly had offered minorities to addition in it, to share the most stereotypical cliche sobbing stories of intolerance they're kind could face.

Your black? Great, you must been in circumstances where you were an outcast in white school.
    Asian? Probably why white blonde babes get all the boys, because they meet the society standard of beauty/attractive.
    Transgender? I bet you had an 🐸🐸🐸🐸 dad that bullied you as the confused son over his gender you are.

And I guess that's the common thing they have. They been guilty for not being a white straight person? Or did I miss such person that spoke out being oppressed in reverse situation? Oh silly me. Whites have privilege. Feels like a direction instructed minorities to "feel free to share situation where you been guilty of not being privilege in a dominant race".

And speaking as an homosexual person I am, I wouldn't even addition there if I had the opportunity, just for the sake to tell everybody "Please look at me and hear me! Homophobes online are hurting me! btw, the sims are awesome games!". And freak, if anybody really think this video is genuinely to embrace diversity, can you name any person from the video (even a straight one), that expressed their struggles/tragedies, that doesn't involve inequality/race card to their ethnicity/sexuality" I guess everybody in the video only encountered bullying over being a minority, but not things everybody could relate like grief over deceased relative or a relationship breakup. Nope! Just know, you're not alone in this fandom community (And by alone, I mean you're also apart of the minority in the circle. Straight white people, shhush! It's not your time to shine.)

Aside the above problem, it's not that even good of an ad. Would been really interesting to hear what actually examples they played out, instead of throwing hints they're scripted to say and with some inaccuracy. And really, none of them, including others, even share their experiences/stories from the game in great detail, aside from one person sharing something about "cheating on sister husband". Other than that, many seem to be told what to say: the gist I got that sims is about playing for the drama, there are no boundaries, and play with life. Oh and the fact you can play as your Simself, which contrary to that statement many players had expressed it "creepy" and thus don't it. Yeah, half through the video I thought "what the hell is that have to do with the same", and at the end of it - "is that all?". I don't think this promotional material would convince anyone, other than (as some users pointed here) those who are looking for therapy. There's really no descriptive info given, other than unironically summing TS4 as CAS game.

Again, while my insight doesn't benefit to TS4 credit, there ways the video could have done better. Example? The Sims 3 Confessions Trailer. Other than the games, the two ads differ by day and night. One uses people's person trama to market the game, the other in-game stories of the auditioned people. Wanna guess which is one is effective? Or which one comes in good taste?
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    For the most part, I agree with @DragonCat159

I think it's awesome that The Sims offers an outlet for many people to feel safe in their own zone, but I think to design the game entirely around this mindset and capitalize all around this belief in advertising is boring to me.

I think The Sims 3's Confessions trailer achieves the same message, and it's both very fun and exciting to watch. I don't feel like I'm entering some over-the-top safe territory with sunshines and rainbows, but rather, I simply have a game in my hands that I can play in a way that reflects who I am, what I like, etc.

I don't know if the true reason we still don't have robberies and thieves in Sims 4 is to prevent players from being "triggered," as the rumors go, but if that's truly case, I'd absolutely hate what the franchise has become.
  • Najah177Najah177 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Horrorgirl6 said:
    > Besides being cringey.
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKVaEM0VfXU
    > I feel like this video is manipulating.It feels like they took a bunch of people with self-esteem issues than put them on the center. The thing is this game is not meant to be a safe space, and you shouldn't be using this game as the main comfort. I have issues as well, and this does not sit well with me.

When the black girl said, "I asked my mom why was I black?" I had to click off. I found the video very disturbing, because it's touching on real-life issues and even some controversial ones, and insinuating that The Sims can "solve all these problems." Yeah, go buy The Sims and all it's downloadable content and let us show you the cure to racism, discrimination, and bullying. If I wasn't already a Sims fan, this definitely wouldn't make me one.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I asked my mom why was I black?
    Mom: beats me. Hey, have you tried The Sims? Stop pestering me, and go play it!

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Actually think both are in poor taste, but the TS4 one is disgustingly so. The TS3 one should have linked the 'interviews' to the game sooner than it did.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited November 2019
    Najah177 wrote: »

When the black girl said, "I asked my mom why was I black?" I had to click off. I found the video very disturbing, because it's touching on real-life issues and even some controversial ones, and insinuating that The Sims can "solve all these problems." Yeah, go buy The Sims and all it's downloadable content and let us show you the cure to racism, discrimination, and bullying. If I wasn't already a Sims fan, this definitely wouldn't make me one.
    I asked my mom why was I black?
    Mom: beats me. Hey, have you tried The Sims? Stop pestering me, and go play it!

Yep. As a Black woman myself, that part was a big face-palm. You know what Black moms say when their kids ask that? It basically boils down to, "Because melanin. You don't need a tan, and you don't sunburn as easy. Now, stop worrying about the 'why' and behave yourself in public so you don't embarrass your family and your people." And as a kid you go, "Oh...O.K. then. No pressure..."
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    edited November 2019
    Najah177 wrote: »
    > @Horrorgirl6 said:
    > Besides being cringey.
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKVaEM0VfXU
    > I feel like this video is manipulating.It feels like they took a bunch of people with self-esteem issues than put them on the center. The thing is this game is not meant to be a safe space, and you shouldn't be using this game as the main comfort. I have issues as well, and this does not sit well with me.

To be honest they lost me there, because apart from creating sims with any colour you like, what exactly does the game have to offer to deal with that? Nothing as far as I know.
    Actually think both are in poor taste, but the TS4 one is disgustingly so. The TS3 one should have linked the 'interviews' to the game sooner than it did.
    There’s a video like this for Sims 3 as well? Must have missed it, do you have a link to that one?
    *oh, oops, sorry, the one on page 1 :grimace: , watching it now

That second one is rather a documentary than an ad and indeed, it constantly shows what the girl means, the link to the game and how it relates to real life and her faith. It’s about the playing God part of the game and that indeed, say what you want, is exactly what this game is about. It’s also not sugar coated, Sims for all your problems, on the contrary, it explains why playing a deviant God can be so much fun.
    The other stories highlight a different part of the game, again with - indeed - examples. That is crucial. It’s also not so focused on this “oh poor little old me, I suffer and this game saves me” atmosphere. It’s ordinary kids with ordinary stories and how they play that out in The Sims. Entirely a different thing. I have one complaint: they’re all young and they’re all American ;)
    (this video refers to Sims 2 by the way but I haven’t seen the first one yet)
    (first one is about Sims 2 as well so maybe I missed the video you are referring to after all?)

What I like about those two videos - haven’t watched the first one but I presume it’s the same set up - is that the stories are personal, in depth, real, fleshed out. One would almost say: a direct link to the games they reflect on.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    This ad makes me embarrassed to be a Simmer. Ads like this are why people ridicule the sims. It made sim guru Frost cry apparently, but I can’t say it gave me the same reaction.
    I don’t know where to begin. How about the “No boundaries” statement?

No boundaries - in a closed world with no CASt with very little customisation options.

It is true you can do stuff and not get punished- that’s because the game has no consequences and AI are badly coded.

Then when you consider the manipulation, the message that you can play the sims 4 and your real life troubles will go away which is nonsense. As someone suffering with real life Illness, I can safely say making my sim self live her best life and watch her doing all the things I can’t and probably won’t ever be able to do doesn't make me feel better about myself as person or my life. And it shouldn’t- it’s a game. Playing that scenario actually makes me feel worse about myself, not better. I think it’s dangerous to insinuate that your problems can be fixed by playing The Sims 4. Don’t get me wrong, I can see the appeal of video games as escapism. That’s one reason I play many video games is because for a few hours I can go into a world and do things I could never do in real life like steal a car, hogtie someone and throw them off a cliff, climb a mountain and explore the caves deep within etc, maintain a farm, maintain a town whilst talking and befriending villagers. All games are safe spaces and it 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off the sims 4 is pretending it’s the only one. The difference is all the games I mention above are all safe spaces but they don’t need to monopolise it to sell their games.

Many of the topics covered in the ad are nothing to do with the game. It’s just the sims jumping on the “We are SOOOOO inclusive” bandwagon they love to ride for pats on the back. Never mind that game play is lacking, dlc is nickel and dimed in awful ways. I think this is the worst, most manipulative, ageist ad for any entertainment product ever. It’s also a nice slap in the face to any simmer over twenty five because our experiences are irrelevant.

Frost has said many a time now the game is a safe space to help us learn and grow. 🤢 I remember the good ol days when the Sims was just a game, not a political and social justice platform. This is the future of the sims. It’s not more in depth game play and realistic play, it’s pandering to the PC crowd.

• PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited November 2019
    Why.png
    SimGuruDuke, "The Joyful Representation of The Sims", August 2019
    I hate this for so many reasons.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    This ad makes me embarrassed to be a Simmer. Ads like this are why people ridicule the sims. It made sim guru Frost cry apparently, but I can’t say it gave me the same reaction.

No boundaries - in a closed world with no CASt with very little customisation options.

It is true you can do stuff and not get punished- that’s because the game has no consequences and AI are badly coded.

Then when you consider the manipulation, the message that you can play the sims 4 and your real life troubles will go away which is nonsense. As someone suffering with real life Illness, I can safely say making my sim self live her best life and watch her doing all the things I can’t and probably won’t ever be able to do doesn't make me feel better about myself as person or my life. And it shouldn’t- it’s a game. Playing that scenario actually makes me feel worse about myself, not better. I think it’s dangerous to insinuate that your problems can be fixed by playing The Sims 4. Don’t get me wrong, I can see the appeal of video games as escapism. That’s one reason I play many video games is because for a few hours I can go into a world and do things I could never do in real life like steal a car, hogtie someone and throw them off a cliff, climb a mountain and explore the caves deep within etc, maintain a farm, maintain a town whilst talking and befriending villagers. All games are safe spaces and it plum me off the sims 4 is pretending it’s the only one. The difference is all the games I mention above are all safe spaces but they don’t need to monopolise it to sell their games.

Many of the topics covered in the ad are nothing to do with the game. It’s just the sims jumping on the “We are SOOOOO inclusive” bandwagon they love to ride for pats on the back. Never mind that game play is lacking, dlc is nickel and dimed in awful ways. I think this is the worst, most manipulative, ageist ad for any entertainment product ever. It’s also a nice slap in the face to any simmer over twenty five because our experiences are irrelevant.

Frost has said many a time now the game is a safe space to help us learn and grow. 🤢 I remember the good ol days when the Sims was just a game, not a political and social justice platform. This is the future of the sims. It’s not more in depth game play and realistic play, it’s pandering to the PC crowd.
    LOL, saw a comment recently on here in an openly critical topic: "I just need a safe space from the safe space." Must confess I sometimes feel that way too.
    (completely agree with you)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Why.png

"The way it influences people's lives" ... Gross... Propaganda?

A video game shouldn't be influencing anything! So should GTA influence people to go steal cars? Of course not! Everyone uses games as a means of escape or entertainment. That much is a given. It shouldn't have to say that. It shouldn't be promoted as a way to help heal yourself either, running away from your problems and escaping into a video game is fine for a small diversion but as a way to actually deal with your life? It's extremely unhealthy, a crutch and could possibly stop someone from learning a HEALTHY way to cope with life. Then after TS4 stops, and it will eventually, they all do... then how does said person get their "therapy"? Their attitude is disgusting. Are they going to take responsibility for all of these player's mental health now and provide support after the game ends? Of course not, it's not their job but they really shouldn't be using it as a marketing tactic as if it is... This is actually making me think I should stop supporting them as a whole and stop purchasing packs! (As if they weren't already giving me enough reasons...)

edited November 2019
    Camkat wrote: »
    Why.png

A video game shouldn't be influencing anything! So should GTA influence people to go steal cars? Of course not! Everyone uses games as a means of escape or entertainment. That much is a given. It shouldn't have to say that. It shouldn't be promoted as a way to help heal yourself either, running away from your problems and escaping into a video game is fine for a small diversion but as a way to actually deal with your life? It's extremely unhealthy, a crutch and could possibly stop someone from learning a HEALTHY way to cope with life. Then after TS4 stops, and it will eventually, they all do... then how does said person get their "therapy"? Their attitude is disgusting. Are they going to take responsibility for all of these player's mental health now and provide support after the game ends? Of course not, it's not their job but they really shouldn't be using it as a marketing tactic as if it is... This is actually making me think I should stop supporting them as a whole and stop purchasing packs! (As if they weren't already giving me enough reasons...)
    It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited November 2019
    Why.png

It's actually an eye opener for me how in the second video on page 1 here, a religious girl explains how playing a deviant and mean God makes her more aware of the positive values of her religion.

I missed that... but that is also disturbing. I'll have to give that one a re-watch too.

Oh! But aren't those videos done by MTV? I think that might be a bit of a difference, unless of course Maxis/EA paid them to make them. It's not right necessarily, but it's a bit different coming from a third party (if they're not controlling it) vs paid employees/spokesperson or ads produced and put out by them on their official youtube channels and such.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited November 2019
    Why.png

I think it's enjoyable.Being a Christi

Then when you consider the manipulation, the message that you can play the sims 4 and your real life troubles will go away which is nonsense. As someone suffering with real life Illness, I can safely say making my sim self live her best life and watch her doing all the things I can’t and probably won’t ever be able to do doesn't make me feel better about myself as person or my life. And it shouldn’t- it’s a game. Playing that scenario actually makes me feel worse about myself, not better. I think it’s dangerous to insinuate that your problems can be fixed by playing The Sims 4. Don’t get me wrong, I can see the appeal of video games as escapism. That’s one reason I play many video games is because for a few hours I can go into a world and do things I could never do in real life like steal a car, hogtie someone and throw them off a cliff, climb a mountain and explore the caves deep within etc, maintain a farm, maintain a town whilst talking and befriending villagers. All games are safe spaces and it plum me off the sims 4 is pretending it’s the only one. The difference is all the games I mention above are all safe spaces but they don’t need to monopolise it to sell their games.

I'm going to say this once.I think sims 3 was more inclusive than four.If you look at the store they had sets for all over the world.African sets, Indian sets, Asian sets, and European sets.What inclusiveness they did in four .They partner with a political group called the it's gets better project,and then gave pride shirts.The whole the sims is safe space to experiment your sexuality". No it should be a game that is fun.

Actually, I have a bit more to say.I feel like they use the minority angle to do shields themselves from any criticism.They care more about social points than making a good game.
    Why.png

I'm going to say this once.I think sims 3 was more inclusive than four.If you look at the store they had sets for all over the world.African sets, Indian sets, Asian sets, and European sets.What inclusiveness they did in four .They partner with a political group called the it's gets better project,and then gave pride shirts.The whole the sims is safe space to experiment your sexuality". No it should be a game that is fun.

Actually, I have a bit more to say.I feel like they use the minority angle to do shields themselves from any criticism.They care more about social points than making a good game.

You're absolutely right. The whole series have always been inclusive if you look back it. It was there if you wanted to play the game that way. They might not have done so great with different cultures, but as you pointed out, TS3 was better with that anyways.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Why.png

You're absolutely right. The whole series have always been inclusive if you look back it. It was there if you wanted to play the game that way. They might not have done so great with different cultures, but as you pointed out, TS3 was better with that anyways.

What also the thing is there never announced it in a big way.It just was there .Here when they do this they announce it as hey look at me.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Why.png

What also the thing is there never announced it in a big way.It just was there .Here when they do this they announce it as hey look at me.

They do that because it makes them look good. Well they think it does, it’s kind of obvious their agenda. Look how many debated over Morgan’s gender identity in the RoM trailer as opposed to talking about the game play itself?

Now, I’m not saying representation isn’t a good thing and I have no issues with it, but the sims is taking it too far in the sense that’s the usp for trailers now. The sims has always been inclusive. Except now it’s inclusive as a box ticking exercise. If EA did the trailer for The Last of us part 2 , Ellie would have been rocking a pride shirt. But she isn’t in the trailer because Naughty dog aren’t reliant on being inclusive to sell their games. The sims 4 rides the inclusivity bandwagon because it’s lacking in so many areas like game play. But with ads like the one being discussed they can pretend they are doing something totally new to the franchise. Because the sims 1-3 never allowed you to play with other cultural items, never allowed you to create sims of all colours and never allowed same sex marriage.