Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions about University play

(That probably won't be answered until after the pack drops)

I love seeing how excited everyone is for this pack. But it's an excitement I can't share, because I just have too many questions about how this is going to impact things. (That and the party life was, as far as I'm concerned, covered with Get Together.)

How do terms work? Is it based on what setting you have in seasons? Life length? Just a straight default number of days? They just nebulously blend together?

How does sending a kid to University impact my ability to play the rest of the family? Dorm life appears to be an option, not a requirement, so does living on campus move them out of the household (which, to be fair, I'd be okay with) or is it kinda like being on vacation? What about visits home for the weekend or holidays? How does commuting to school work? Is it effectively an "active career" where I get to choose if I follow my Uni Student for the day? Or do I more or less have to go with them, as nothing gets done when they're there alone (like nothing gets done at home when you follow an active career)?

How are holidays going to impact class? I mean, I play with two week seasons and have the bulk of summer marked as "Summer holidays" with no school or work. I'm guessing that any summer terms will be on hold, but it could basically make summer term an auto fail if there aren't enough days left to get stuff done.

How are High School and even Elementary School grades going to impact University?

How is going to university going to impact (if at all) careers we already have? There are some where University really should be required if you have the pack installed.

Is there going to be decent cross-pack impact, beyond new options for clubs? Some more formal way of using Clubs as Greek houses, maybe?

Sorry, I just felt I had to get these questions out there, as everyone else seems to be obsessing over build/buy, CAS, and bicycles, which while all cool and interesting, doesn't do anything to help me figure out if I actually want the pack or not.

Comments

• Options
    LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    It'll likely be answered a few days before because EA/the Sims team will drip-feed us info. The gamechangers will also get the pack a few days before and will release videos whenever their embargo lifts as well, so we will get some insight into the game before it unlocks for us.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I think many people are asking these questions - and many of them are good questions I & surely many others are wondering about too. It's just, like you said, almost impossible to answer them right now, so I guess people just try to analyze what they can see :) Not sure I'd call that obsessing over CAS though. Similar questions have already been asked in other threads.

I do hope (and think) that school grades should affect university somehow (either by not letting you get in, or by having you take more credits or something? I don't know). I'm guessing uni will affect careers similarly to how it did in TS3 though, as in: completing a degree will affect where you start in the career. It'd be even better though if some people could never reach the top of their careers without a degree (at least for those that have uni installed).

Agreed on asking how exactly living there will work, and I didn't even think about the holiday part. Good question, really, if that will also affect active classes? Hope we'll know more about that soon! :)
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    I hope that IF you choose to live in university, the time at home just stops until you play there. kinda like how it was in TS2.
    however, it is only wishful thinking at this point.:)

-Yarden.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'd imagine, there would be two factors, When your sim ages up from Teen to Young Adult, and their Grades in High School Factor into going College.

I'd imagine Discover University is much like Get To Work.

Britechester and Foxbury Campuses are much like the Hospital/Science Labs Hidden Worlds or Destination Worlds, the sim can't get to get to unless you Apply for College and get accepted.

Get to Work and Seasons works well together so I'd Only imagine Seasonal Holidays will also effect class times, and when they meet if the Holiday says "No School/Work."

Which is why I play with aging off, I like to play on my own pace, and have time tell my story, and play with life on a longer lifespan. Once I'm satisfied with how the chapter of my story has reached it's peak like my sim has achieved everything I wanted to achieve at the given stage, then I'm ready to progress.

In terms of College, I'd imagine Your sim could be in college till they're an elder, if you haven't met Graduation Requirements then you won't graduate. So it could be at your own pace, but you will have to do assignments on time. I'd imagine a Grading System, Complete goals, assignments, papers, for class, fail and your grade lowers.

But how semesters are set up could go either way, upon getting into either Universities, and choosing your sim's classes, You could have the Two weeks to do a Semester, and your sims work load could be different than Mine Because my seasons are 4 Weeks. But I would think graduation doesn't hinge on the age of the life state but if you achieved most of the goals, and you have a decent grade determines the sim's graduation.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I also want to know more about the gameplay.
    How's the class/lab system work?
    Do they have a proper lecture or just a rabbit hole?
    How's the grading system look like?
    Will the Uni life opening up the application to all life stages?
    When or how they can start applying?
    How the secret societies work?
    Can the students work part time?
    Can the parents' visits their children?
    Will Britechester have 4 seasons or it will always bright & sunny?
    How will the degree affect their future careers or salary scales?
    How the roommate system looks like?

I hope that the next trailer could show us how discover Uni works prior leaving to the Uni & perhaps more info from the developers.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yardenro wrote: »
    I hope that IF you choose to live in university, the time at home just stops until you play there. kinda like how it was in TS2.
    however, it is only wishful thinking at this point.:)

Hmm.... turn aging off in settings when your sim comes to university?

Personally I would be very irritated if they would taper with when my sims age or not since I am used to being in charge of that myself.
  • Options
    ZzMANzZZzMANzZ Posts: 72 Member
    I wonder how the new careers will be like. I would them to be more than just rabbit holes.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Well they did say there would be a deep dive livestream into the pack on the eight of November so...