Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should Sims have More Free will as an option?

I miss when sims made some decisions on their own. Especially with social interactions. I feel like their free will is broken. Especially with the latest update. I miss in past iterations when they had more of a mind of their own. I feel like this can be fixed. Especially if enough players feel this way. Im wondering how many do or don't. I just want their to be more of a balance between the interactions they do on their own and the things we decide for them. For me part of the fun is the things that are unexpected that happen in the game. I know with every thing they fix in the game im sure they could add more free will as an option.

Should Sims have More Free will as an option? 82 votes

I like controlling every aspect of my sims life including all their social interactions I don't want more free will to be an option in the game.
14%
AyradyssfriendlysimmersAquariusMomBabykittyjadeAngelEb95EnkiSchmidtbirdonawireEvie0602alyssa123PatricenerdfashionEnnael 12 votes
I want my sims to have more free will and do more things on their own including their interactions with other sims. More free will should be an option in the game.
85%
Akl500PGoldmoldarNh6650SamadamsPlayerstoryyColorist40Mi9shaoscarrhaliusStrangerthanIrdiwenetoshafruitsbasket101LizzychicagoxXPandoraXxRamblineRosespice3phantasmkissstehlampeelelunicyJultan3 70 votes

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I would like if they improved the AI and dropped the idle chatting because that gets really annoying. I miss when NPC's were allowed to be mean or flirt with others. Married NPC's rarely flirt with each other because the game forces them to idle chat, it's really strange sometimes. I have seen cases where NPC's hit on other sims or will flirt but it's super rare. I just wish they could improve that in some way.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    I want my sims to have more free will and do more things on their own including their interactions with other sims. More free will should be an option in the game.
    More free will can be great for the game show type sim challenges like bachelor game show. Maybe it can include more variety in free will actions so they don’t drink too much or wash hands too much. Your idea sounds like it can lessen the risk of getting the bored from conversation moodlet.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Worramot wrote: »
    More free will can be great for the game show type sim challenges like bachelor game show. Maybe it can include more variety in free will actions so they don’t drink too much or wash hands too much. Your idea sounds like it can lessen the risk of getting the bored from conversation moodlet.

This is a bug.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would like more smart interactions available with free will. The trolling forums and random push ups and playing with the phone as the main default interactions gets boring and repetitive and shallow.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Bren91Bren91 Posts: 297 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I would like more smart interactions available with free will. The trolling forums and random push ups and playing with the phone as the main default interactions gets boring and repetitive and shallow.

Agreed
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Yes, I want the option (if this game lacks anything it's gameplay options) - but would I use it? Probably very little.
    Whenever I play with autonomy on, I usually switch it back off after a simday.
    But I would be totally fine with an option for more free will for the players that do use it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    yes, optional.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sims need to stop being a random robot with the tourist clothing, drinking water every minute & randomly turned into spellcasters.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Can't answer the poll because I'm missing my option: I like micromanaging to the extent that it's possible now when you play with autonomy on, but I think stronger free will should be an option (though I would be unlikely to use it myself).
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I like controlling every aspect of my sims life including all their social interactions I don't want more free will to be an option in the game.
    It's not that I don't want them to act on their own but they are just too dumb to do so. I love better freewill if they were smarter. I had 3 sims die yesterday leaving them on their own. I went back to micromanaging.
    My kids go to school in night clothes, my enemies become friends, they get addicted to the pc. Too many things they do drive me crazy.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 455 Member
    Sims should do more yes, why the heck do we give them traits otherwise if it won't determine their actions?
    My vegetarian sim ate meat various times, sometimes it was food he made himself even.

But sims really should do mean things and flirt with other sims. In previous games, I ALWAYS let sims pick their own partner. I don't like forcing that, I want to see who they pick and if that works. At most I very rarely get to see that they want to talk or hug someone, and they only get desires to flirt or kiss someone once together with them but still won't do it on their own.

If sims 3 graphics and performance weren't so bad I'd be tempted to stick with that one because it's sims are actual people. Here we just have boring robots who all like the same things and do the same things even if it goes against their traits.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I do want more free will and unpredictability, but not the way the base game personalities run now because it would just be nonsensical. I'd like some tuning done first to make Sims behave more strongly to the traits that we give them rather than to "one-size-fits-all" reaction, object and emotional triggers. Honestly, if they could just just do that in the first place, I think the free will would sort itself out because each Sim would be different and therefore, more unpredictable.
    #Team Occult
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The more free will they have the better. It's what keeps the game fun and interesting. I don't want my sims to be mindless robots that can't do anything useful without me telling them to do it.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I'm happy with the amount of free will they currently have. It's perfect for me. But it's fine with me if other options are added, as long as there is an option to keep things the way they are. It's nice when other people can have the choices they like too. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • MetalHeadSixMetalHeadSix Posts: 11 New Member
    I think it would be nice more free will options.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    The only thing I don't want is my Sims who are married with good relationships cheating, but my single Sims need to give me a clue who they are interested in. So, more autonomous flirting, please.
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i'm kind of a micro-manager, i don't want my sims doing things unless i told them to do so, but i completely understand why people like autonomy/free will and the devs should definitely give that feature an update
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    More accurately, I'm fine with the amount of free will my sims have (which seems to be more than in OP's game) but more would not be unwelcome, especially if it was optional.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited October 2019
    This raises an interesting question. Do any of us really have free will?

Sorry, just bored and the thread title made me think of my philosophy classes :p

To answer the question a little differently; yes, I'd like smarter AI. I like the AI to control my sims as much as I can stand. There are only a few times I actually get involved (well, maybe more than a few) in sim actions. "Introduce yourself", "Use bathroom", "eat" and sometimes when conversations die out (which happens a lot more than I'd like), I usually try to get it going again with conversation starters like "Discuss Interests".

Other than that I like (I'd like) the AI to run the sim 100% of the time. However the game is just too buggy for that to actually happen. I think I'm being a bit generous actually. Usually when a sim visits my sim is when the sim ADD kicks in. suddenly they have to read a book, or run around in the rain or run a mile down the street to make a snow angel. They act like crazy people most the time. I just do what I can to keep them on track. Which, sometimes is a lot.
    Post edited by Arzekial on
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Would love a stronger autonomy aspect, though it seems to me Sims must have some hidden aspects to them that cause otherwise-inexplicable individuality I have noticed. For instance, some just seem to be witless to the point of deserving the Darwin Award and seem incapable or unwilling to respond to their own needs. I usually delete ones like that as they are too stupid to survive and too much work to babysit. Some also seem unusually stubborn and more resistant to direct orders. Some seem to have needs that decay faster than others without anything I have done to explain it.

Is this real or just perception?

It is frustrating and disappointing that most of the time, most Sims will not give me a clue as to who they would like to flirt with, by initiating themselves. And I have discovered that relationships aren't all made equal. Some are just a lot of work, because the Sims involved will not do one thing beyond what I force them to, whereas with others, they are obviously mutually interested and keep the conversation and interest level high even if I just sit and watch.

And some Sims just seem unlucky in love. Not sure if the Love Guru is random in predictions or whether it actually gives a real reflection of that Sim's love tendencies or destiny, but so far, it has been deadly accurate in foretelling complications in love ("doom" as they put it when the Sim gets all depressed after hearing not so good news) because that's what has happened each time I have had a Sim who was especially unlucky in attempts at romance, as the Romance Guru. So is the Guru actually useful for insight, or more like a random 8-ball?

All things to wonder about.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I actually prefer watching sims doing stuff themselves
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I like to control my sims for the most part, but I’m not going to say they shouldn’t make something because I personally don’t want it.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited October 2019
    Well, I went with the 'no' option because to me, saying "more free will" means more of the same, which would be terrible, IMO. Now BETTER AI/free will would be awesome. Making more intelligent decisions, based more on their actual needs and their traits -- sure, that would fine. But these same Sims who keep going to get drinks of water when their hunger bars are full and playing games on the computer when their fun bars are full all while other needs maybe aren't dire but are still somewhat lacking? More of that? No thank you.

And while the 'no' option is stated in a very biased, hyperbolic way (IMO), I do prefer in general to have more control over my Sims than less. I don't really want a lot of autonomous romance or the like. I have my own ideas of what stories I want to tell. That said, an interesting autonomous action now and then can liven things up, but there are definitely limits, IMO.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Bren91Bren91 Posts: 297 Member
    Would love a stronger autonomy aspect, though it seems to me Sims must have some hidden aspects to them that cause otherwise-inexplicable individuality I have noticed. For instance, some just seem to be witless to the point of deserving the Darwin Award and seem incapable or unwilling to respond to their own needs. I usually delete ones like that as they are too stupid to survive and too much work to babysit. Some also seem unusually stubborn and more resistant to direct orders. Some seem to have needs that decay faster than others without anything I have done to explain it.

Is this real or just perception?

It is frustrating and disappointing that most of the time, most Sims will not give me a clue as to who they would like to flirt with, by initiating themselves. And I have discovered that relationships aren't all made equal. Some are just a lot of work, because the Sims involved will not do one thing beyond what I force them to, whereas with others, they are obviously mutually interested and keep the conversation and interest level high even if I just sit and watch.

And some Sims just seem unlucky in love. Not sure if the Love Guru is random in predictions or whether it actually gives a real reflection of that Sim's love tendencies or destiny, but so far, it has been deadly accurate in foretelling complications in love ("doom" as they put it when the Sim gets all depressed after hearing not so good news) because that's what has happened each time I have had a Sim who was especially unlucky in attempts at romance, as the Romance Guru. So is the Guru actually useful for insight, or more like a random 8-ball?

All things to wonder about.

I love this. Its very insightful and I have wondered a lot about the same things at times.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't really care. Autonomy would need to be better for me to even think about turning it on in the first place though, and by better I don't just mean "more"
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)