Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adding custom familiars (Realm of Magic) without overriding tuning files [SOLVED]

Mic95Mic95 Posts: 21 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Hi! I have been looking to add new familiars without adding the possibility of them being overwritten by another mod that aims to add their own. Here is my progress thus far:

There are 2 things that need to be changed in order to add a familiar in the game using Python:

1. familiars.familar_enums
with FamiliarType.make_mutable():
FamiliarType._add_new_enum_value("nameofthesummon", IDofthesummon)

This enum is easily modifiable and poses no problem.

2. familiars.familiar_tracker

Within this one is contained the FAMILIAR_DATA TunableMapping. The structure of which is found within the familiars-familiar_tracker.tdesc.
The problem that I have encountered, however, is that I find myself unable to inject additional data within that FAMILIAR_DATA as it is immutable.

So my problem is that I cannot add familiars without editing the familiar_tracker tuning itself which is undesirable and increases the chances of conflicts immensely. Is there a possible workaround to this or a change that Maxis could make in order to allow us to add new familiars through scripting?

EDIT: I have solved this problem.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• VieraRedMageVieraRedMage Posts: 42 Member
    Out of curiosity, how did you solve this?

I'd love to be able to add custom familiars too, but everything I've found searching either concluded it wasn't currently possible or the threads asking just die without answers. :(
  • Mic95Mic95 Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2019
    @VieraRedMage You can use my Familiar Injector if you want to add custom familiars. https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims4/mods/196/

The procedure and requirements are clearly explained and the script handles all the Python stuff for you.
  • sweetliljasweetlilja Posts: 39 Member
    Hi, do you think you have any knowledge that could help me trying to add a custom collection but without luck as nothing shows up. Does the custom familiars show up as collectibles? I wanted to add some custom made cards to collect, looking like the VoidCritters but others... I am not sure this is possible without using scripts. Or do you believe it could be possible to create a collectible-injector somehow? That adds a new collection and even the contents, and an option if you would like to inject new objects like new frogs or whatever into any existing collection.
  • sweetliljasweetlilja Posts: 39 Member
    sweetlilja wrote: »
    Hi, do you think you have any knowledge that could help me trying to add a custom collection but without luck as nothing shows up. Does the custom familiars show up as collectibles? I wanted to add some custom made cards to collect, looking like the VoidCritters but others... I am not sure this is possible without using scripts. Or do you believe it could be possible to create a collectible-injector somehow? That adds a new collection and even the contents, and an option if you would like to inject new objects like new frogs or whatever into any existing collection.

I will post this to the nexusmods page as well, not sure where you mostly reads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top