Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Great Supernatural Debate

Supernaturals- Yay or Nay?
What is your opinion on supernaturals- Do you like em or no?
funny-gifs20.gif

The Great Supernatural Debate 262 votes

Supernaturals are my favorite sims to play!
28%
CK213windweaverIdontrcalloveronCamkatMjstsmPPlayerSinger2010VibseWritin_Regdruttilursimm621BloosmooStrangerthanphantom121294AnmirlarobyngravesAjaGiodetermigNoTalentFroil 74 votes
Supernaturals are fun.
42%
Akl500PKita5399LaBlue0314IceyJOolonglongstoryyHowGreatThouArtColorist40AlrynnmcruddIsb917PhloxKartaiMariefoxprice83Konan_NorrisIObellealejandro15039luthienrisingSlayeurTownzagboorules 112 votes
I don't care.
7%
auroraael14IrdiwenTiipiimock68sekojranaAquariusMomspice3elelunicyThenyoukissmefiercephoenix91WaytoomanyUIDsAngelEb95Evaliynlittledismal06ThePinkBookGirlTeslachick2PeculiarPlumboblogionalyssa123bella_goth 20 votes
Supernaturals aren't fun for me.
11%
aprilroseAngel_mixCorkysPetalsjoelygirlsims2keekee53MeteoraStormfriendlysimmersagent_bevTrashDeBlunckellzacatitude5DoloresGreymlhewettSo_MoneyjooxisCatTwoEmmpDeeTsimsZiafargrallonsphere 31 votes
Supernaturals are awful and shouldn't even be included.
2%
Nh6650goodcakebaker62ChadSims2sunblonddoublenoodlespopstarsley 6 votes
Other
7%
Frn0731GoldmoldarGalacticGalBlkBarbiegalelanorbretonsimgirl1010Bagoas77LustianiciaCalebFillionSimplyTorifallenangel66SweetieWright_84MaggieMarleyOldeseadoggeEvie0602Marduc_PlaysM_Valentine22netney52Ellupelluellu 19 votes

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I spent a few moments debating between "Fun" and "favorite" but then realized I was kinda bummed when I created a clean save to test Spellcaster Spawning and had to stay out of the magic realm for a whole week on purpose.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to play a non-spellcaster for very long ever again. :)
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    Cant and wont say no to them if they're interesting enough! Its gets so boring playing as normal sims all the time. Occults help break that monotony.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    I enjoy playing supernaturals but I also sometimes enjoy playing more realistically. I like being able to choose.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    I really like the vampires and now spellcasters, but don’t care for the other occults too much (would like to see fairies though). I do play my more realistic legacy save the most, so I’d say that style is my preferred.. really just depends on my mood.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    Meant to pick the top one
    Occults to me are the spice of life in this game, they allow more crazy things to happen. They tend to break the monotony and add more diversity on how to play and that's always welcomed to me.

I don't get it when people say the Sims series is supposed to be realistic and not have anything unnatural, it's supposed to be a parody of life with crazy things happening in it. If this game was realistic it would probably be alot darker and probably annoying. I can understand not liking occults cause everyone got their own opinions, but to say they flat out shouldn't exist is a little selfish.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited September 2019
    Vampris wrote: »
    Occults to me are the spice of life in this game, they allow more crazy things to happen. They tend to break the monotony and add more diversity on how to play and that's always welcomed to me.

I don't get it when people say the Sims series is supposed to be realistic and not have anything unnatural, it's supposed to be a parody of life with crazy things happening in it. If this game was realistic it would probably be alot darker and probably annoying. I can understand not liking occults cause everyone got their own opinions, but to say they flat out shouldn't exist is a little selfish.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I have seen people say that Supernaturals are a waste of resources, etc. Not like occult players are saying there shouldn't be realism (from what I've seen).
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I adore them and hybrids. They represent underdogs like me who are hated for just being themselves and different. Such cool powers with some of them too. I admit I never cared for temp state. For me it is to go big or go home with lifestates.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2019
    Other
    Depends on the supernatural life state. This is my preference in order of life state:

1. Vampire
    2. Human
    3. Spellcaster
    3. Alien
    4. Mermaid

I probably should have chosen ‘supernaturals are fun to play’ rather than ‘other’ actually. I saw ‘supernaturals are my favourite sims to play’, thought ‘well that depends’ then voted ‘other’
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Vampris wrote: »

Agreed. Unfortunately, I have seen people say that Supernaturals are a waste of resources, etc. Not like occult players are saying there shouldn't be realism (from what I've seen).
    Depends on the version of realism I guess. Many occult origins actually were inspired by real medical conditions:
    https://www.mdlinx.com/family-medicine/article/1194

Anyone who doesn't want something they don't or can't relate to says content is a waste of time. It is a trend I don't understand with the Sims 4. Honestly I rather waste time talking about the Sims 4 with Gurus and Simmers than belittling my fellow Simmers, but that is just me. But pfft, I've been a Simmer long enough and having an accounting background to understand the EA financial statements to know that these so-called "waste of time" projects are actually profitable for EA and have helped sales over the years. There was a huge player increase after the toddler update and even spoke to some of the game changers that said that and other things brought them to the Sims 4. Any real Simmer would tell you the Sims origins aren't just in realism, but fantasy as well, so occults are apart of the Sims history and shouldn't be whitewashed from it. Occults were always a fun secret way to get disabilities represented in the game too. I identify as a mermaid although I don't have the mermaid condition, but being in a wheelchair sometimes I am faster in water than on land. I also have friends that are witches and a friend that likes drinking blood like a vampire and a friend who is a furry so make me think of werewolves, so who am I to judge their reality of who they want to be? If someone wants to fly like a fairy by being a pilot, let their dreams become reality. If they want to wear shoes shaped like a satyr hooves, then they will. I know how much Sims community likes roleplaying in the game anyways, so it is like why prevent that with the Sims stories too? Sims had always been more than just humans but are a dark comedy of life and fantasy. I am sadden whenever I read comments contrary to the Sims 4 no longer being like a Sims game anymore. I want to bring the Sims back to the Sims 4 otherwise the game is just the number 4 to me.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2019
    I just don’t “get it” with “supernaturals”. But I’m fine with them existing for those who are into that sort of thing - as long as they don’t impose upon my game.

The trouble is they do, and they have since launch. When one of my sims is at a community lot and it fills up with ghosts it breaks my immersion completely.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I really like that I can pick which to include, without having all in one pack. Mermaids? Some day, when I want to send a Sim to Sulani anyway. Spellcasters? Hell yeah! My 2nd Gen heir is helping the Goth family restore its magical bloodline, as an adjunct to - not a replacement of - my ongoing family story. I don't especially miss or want vampires or aliens, or the wackitude of Strangerville, but I am glad those pack exist for those who do particularly enjoy those.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    I never thought I'd say this, but I play almost exclusively with Supernaturals and I have the most fun with them! And this, although I used to play all the old Sim-parts realistic and avoided everything supernatural :) .
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Supernaturals are awful and shouldn't even be included.
    Supernaturals just are not fun for me I really have no desire to play them and the only aspect of making them fun for me is never implemented in Sims games. What's the point of vampires without a vampire hunter for me there is none give me Van Helsing or Buffy slaying vampires. Vampire enters community lot the lot becomes locked unable to leave it and I cant have a Sim do a thing about it such as a splash of holy water fight them or put a stake through the heart you know actual vampire content. Studying vampire lore should have been separated one for vampires to gain knowledge another for regular Sims who could learn to defeat them at this point they get garlic braids so fun, where's the gameplay?
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    They are my favorite right now... and I'm enjoying them but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy my normal sims again :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited September 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Supernaturals just are not fun for me I really have no desire to play them and the only aspect of making them fun for me is never implemented in Sims games. What's the point of vampires without a vampire hunter for me there is none give me Van Helsing or Buffy slaying vampires. Vampire enters community lot the lot becomes locked unable to leave it and I cant have a Sim do a thing about it such as a splash of holy water fight them or put a stake through the heart you know actual vampire content. Studying vampire lore should have been separated one for vampires to gain knowledge another for regular Sims who could learn to defeat them at this point they get garlic braids so fun, where's the gameplay?

Except that a regular sim CAN study vampire lore, level up and learn how to defeat vampires with garlic and even make the cure and then splash it on them and use it.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    I do enjoy the usual semi-realistic (well, as realistic as The Sims get) play but I've fallen in love with the Spellcasters. Still not sold on vampires but I'm looking forward to adding mermaids soon and crossing my fingers for a werewolf pack :D
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Other
    I like some but not others. I've never been a fan of vampires or werewolves. I love witches, fairies and genies. Mermaids I'm not fussed either way. Aliens can sometimes be fun, depending on the story.

I wouldn't be upset though if they never got included in the game at all.
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    Love me some occults. I wouldn't say 'favourite' because I also love playing as a completely normal human who lives in this very weird world, where alien abductions happen every second Tuesday and your next door neighbours are a nice old vampire couple with a bunch of cats, but I love having the supernatural elements in-game and probably wouldn't want to play if it didn't have those wonderfully off-the-wall concepts.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I have always been a big supernatural fan, especially vampires, so of course I love them in the Sims too! Werewolves are right at the top of my wishlist and I really hope they return soon - my game feels incomplete without them and my vampires need a pet worthy rival! I would also like to see fairies return and improved ghosts and mermaids. I just wish supernatural packs didn't leave out supernatural family players or hybrids. I do enjoy 'realistic' gameplay as well and I would like to see TS4 offer a good balance for all play styles.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Tried and just never find playing an occult any fun.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm enjoying RoM, but I don't see my spellcasters as a separate life state - to me, they're only Sims with an interest in magic. I would like to see Tolkien-style Elves, but that's about the only additional 'supernatural' I'd want. Vampires and aliens are too intrusive (I hate alien abductions); I simply ignore the mermaids (I've never seen one, as far as I know), and ghosts are more annoying in S4 than in all the previous games. (No, my Sim does not want to catch a show in the city. Die, already!)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    I don't think of the Sims as a realistic game anyway. There are fantastical elements tucked away everywhere, even at the wellness center or in the mixology career. It's a game filled with quirks and I love it!

I enjoy being able to play a (relatively) normal family one day and switch to the Magic Realm the next. I do like to imagine there are different levels of awareness among my Sims. Some are aware of nothing, others are discovering that their neighbor's child is an alien, others are training to balance a normal life with the pursuit of magic, one or two are just all in on the craziness.

I only have aliens and spellcasters right now, but I hope to add vampires and mermaids eventually. I also hope that werewolves are added soon.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    Occults are what got me hooked to the sims ever since making magic (even if they technically weren't a lifestate in sims 1) I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy in books and films and I like the option to include these themes in my game. Supernaturals stuff is what makes my sims feel really unique and specia. I like the escapism it offers. I am still patiently waiting for werewolves and robots.

I understand not every one is into them. While I like most of supernaturals, vampires and zombies are not my thing. It is personal preference. As long as players respect that different people have different interests when playing the sims, we should be able to all get along.

As for realism, the Sims was never completely realistic. The base game has space rockets, ghosts, cowplants,... And I have yet to meet a person who can excel at every skill he wants to learn and get immediately hired in every job he wants to pursue. To me the gameplay feels just as cartoony as the visual style of sims 4. And I like the fun and quirky aspect of the game.
    So_Money wrote: »
    When one of my sims is at a community lot and it fills up with ghosts it breaks my immersion completely.

Even I as an occult fan don't like the ghost nights. I have disabled them because these special bar nights don't add much to my story. I send my sims, normal and supernatural alike, to a bar to hang out with friends and have a good time, not to be surrounded by dozens of freshly generated ghosts.

While I like most supernatural aspects of the game, I am also a fan of options for gameplay. I am very happy I can switch off the celebrities in the game. Too bad we need mods to be able to customise the game to our preferences.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited September 2019
    Other
    I like aliens, but nothing else. But, I'm very glad that EA is introducing the supernaturals in GPs, so that I have a choice and those who love them aren't deprived. It's a Win-Win. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Supernaturals are fun.
    I enjoy playing some occults for a change from the normal sometimes. It keeps the game interesting.