Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

what's with moving and money??

i've never seen anyone complain about the moving feature in this game, which is interesting, considering that it's confusing and frustrating. the part that's the most confusing and frustrating has to be the way funds are handled. i just don't understand it

when a sim moves out they get some extra money, right? seems logical enough, but i can't wrap my head around the system they use for this

anecdote time: i wanted my sims to move into a house i made in Willow Creek. it was a young adult and her father. they had roughly 10,000 simoleons. the house was 24,000 simoleons. i figured they'd get enough extra simoleons (another 20,000 to be exact) so that they could afford their house. NOPE. they got another 1,000, which makes NO sense. what kind of house is 11,000 simoleons besides a dinky little one-sim cottage? confused, i lowered their money with cheats to see if they'd end up with an extra 20,000 at some point (because i've seen that happen before and was convinced that that was how all moving out worked in the game) and still no. i depleted their funds from 10,000 to 4,000 but they still only received 1,000 extra. 5,000 simoleons! that's how much money my sims were expected to buy a house with. makes no sense. isn't the game supposed to give more money than that?

why on earth would they only give this much? what's the system supposed to be? how does the game decide how much money to give to a household when they move?

of course later i realised i could use the "sell furniture" option to get my sims to afford the house, but that's not the point. the point is that the way funds are handled during the process of moving is extremely unclear and confusing

thoughts? does anyone else struggle with moving too?
when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye

Comments

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    You only get 20k if you move a sim out of a household into a “new” household in manage households in the world map. IIRC you only get 1k extra per sim if their fresh out of CAS. If their moving homes you keep your household funds and can choose to sell furniture or keep them. I have never gotten extra money just for moving.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2019
    Dont forget that plants are ridiculously expensive in this game, so there could easily be 5 or 6 grands worth of landscaping

EDIT: got confused about question, wrong answer. But without landscaping a simple 1 bedroom house could only be worth 11k especially without furniture and appliances. And even with them, taking depreciation of furniture appliances into account. I have a fully furnished, unlandscaped but very small 2 bedroom starter in my gallery that costs 11,5k with furniture.

And its one of my bugbears that it's so difficult to a starter under 20k if you do landscaping
    Post edited by WaytoomanyUIDs on
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    yeah, it is silly, how you get assigned §2,000 per head after the first person you create in CAS gets §20,000. Then when you move invidividual sims out to their own households they get §20,000 as well. so if you got two parents and 6 teenage kids, moved them out to their own households and then put them back together you can end up with about §174,000 when you are done in combined total if i worked out the math right. 20 x 8 = 160, 2 x 7 = 14.

I also wonder about when you make drinks at a bar, when you create one it costs §50, but when it is finished and you go into build mode and delete the drink, sometimes you can get §368, meaning a net §318 profit each time.

there are a number of things that don't make a lot of sense and i've only kept them to myself because EA seems more interested in listening to people on youtube than they are on their own official forums.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    There seems to be an immediate and drastic depreciation value on homes.

I was currently setting up a new world and using freerealestate cheat to move sims in, then going in to their home and adjusting the money downwards. So...

I moved a family into a 55K home, then adjusted their cash-in-hand to 500. But then I changed my mind and wanted to move them into a different home, so I evicted them, thinking they would now have 55,500. But no! They ended up with some random figure of around 48K so could no longer even afford to move back into the home they just vacated. I hadn't even played them!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I don't rely on the game giving me 'extra' funds just for moving. I use freerealestate on to get them into the house of choice. IRL most take out a mortgage. But since our Sims aren't charged monthly for said mortgage payment (which would be cool) and only are charged 'rent' for apartments, I do the cheat method. Then I don't have to worry about offspring getting into a house.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    I don't rely on the game giving me 'extra' funds just for moving. I use freerealestate on to get them into the house of choice. IRL most take out a mortgage. But since our Sims aren't charged monthly for said mortgage payment (which would be cool) and only are charged 'rent' for apartments, I do the cheat method. Then I don't have to worry about offspring getting into a house.

LittleMsSam has a mod that allows you to purchase bank cards if you want to split the household funds as well as apply for credit, although it is a daily repayment amount, if you are interested.

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175407172343/atm-cards-and-now-with-real-credit-function
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Moving and money is a total mess in The sims 4. How can you act like our sims have warm and caring family gameplay options and then they just get kicked out of the household from a world map without even saying proper goodbye to their family or at least walk off the lot. It is so SOULLESS!
    In previous games, sims would actually get on a computer or make a call to move out, then they would get in a cab that would pick them up a little later where they just had enough time to say goodbye to everyone. And then in TS2 we even had this little cute short intro when they arrived at their new home which truly made it feel like they did something. In TS4 everything is just made easy, without a meaning and it is all about clicking, clicking and clicking instead of playing and experiencing. I am talking about the sims AND the player.

And then the money.. ughh
    How does a sim suddenly get 20.000 simoleons in their pocket? Why did we spend all that effort for them to grow up decently to get a nice job, save up and money and then.. it cuts right into the life simulation. What is this game even? I ask myself this all the time. How can you call this a life simulation? We are supposed to simulate life and life like experiences and actually feel like we are living this game. I hear you, so much to fix in this game and it has been dragged along 5 years..

Sorry I am angry today...
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Moving and money is a total mess in The sims 4. How can you act like our sims have warm and caring family gameplay options and then they just get kicked out of the household from a world map without even saying proper goodbye to their family or at least walk off the lot. It is so SOULLESS!
    In previous games, sims would actually get on a computer or make a call to move out, then they would get in a cab that would pick them up a little later where they just had enough time to say goodbye to everyone. And then in TS2 we even had this little cute short intro when they arrived at their new home which truly made it feel like they did something. In TS4 everything is just made easy, without a meaning and it is all about clicking, clicking and clicking instead of playing and experiencing. I am talking about the sims AND the player.

And then the money.. ughh
    How does a sim suddenly get 20.000 simoleons in their pocket? Why did we spend all that effort for them to grow up decently to get a nice job, save up and money and then.. it cuts right into the life simulation. What is this game even? I ask myself this all the time. How can you call this a life simulation? We are supposed to simulate life and life like experiences and actually feel like we are living this game. I hear you, so much to fix in this game and it has been dragged along 5 years..

Sorry I am angry today...

I know how you feel, i really do. i've only been at it for 3 months now and 1,000 hours into it, and i've found out how simple the gameplay is. i would really like to see more difficulty and being more involved in the aspects of a relationship all the way to money concerns and beyond. When yoou play TS4 way, there is no consequence unless you try to design one by yourself. it seems so pointless and empty at times.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I usually use freerealestate because I don’t have time for them to make money to move into that special house.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie