Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to The Sims?

Comments

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

@MidnightAura and me, we’re still playing Sims 3 and we’ve forgotten nothing. Sims 3’s bugs have nothing to do with world size, Sims 4 is riddled with bugs as well. The game hardly ever crashes for us and it doesn’t lag. There is freezing sometimes, but that comes down to bad routing (you can actually improve it because of that, make adjustments to certain worlds after which they run fine, even IP). Lag has just one reason: too much CC. As long as you don’t stuff your game, there is no lag (I’ve never ever had lag in Sims 3).

If it’s true they created Sims 4 this limited and poor because of people complaining about Sims 3’s performance, that would be an absolute joke and nothing less than a sad shame. Because then they did it for the wrong reasons. They messed up Sims 3 worlds themselves - sloppy routing - and they listened to people who were bragging about their thousands of downloaded CC items. Then complaining about their game crashing.

I’ve played Sims 3 on 3 computers, starting in 2009, I still play Sims 3. I hardly ever have crashes (even with mods and CC now), I never had Error whatsitsnumber, I never had lag and my game runs as smoothly as Sims 4 for me. With all packs installed + Store stuff + mods and CC. On top of that the experience is way more fluent because I don’t get any loading screens. This is how it is, on a good PC (granted) but nothing spectacular.

Thank you for this post, this can't be said enough. If 32-bit TS3 is properly maintained and not overstuffed with cc, it will run well with:
    • Open worlds
    • Story progression
    • CASt
    • Real traffic, with real cars, with real Sims inside, all purposefully going somewhere
    • Custom apartments
    • Working elevators
    • Custom festivals
    • Extended family members who recognize each other as such
    • Graveyards with generations of tombstones
    • Venues in which Sims will autonomously use all objects
    • Entire populations of Sims who carryout individual schedules -- work, school, visiting community lots and other Sims

Plus, so many other things which TS4 doesn't have

Meanwhile, TS4 is 64-bit and it is still a buggy mess, including simulation lag on closed lots. (Someone, please explain to me why there is simulation lag when neighborhoods float alone in the ether and each lot is a closed microcosm.) TS3 wasn't the problem.

Having said that, the original poster had some good points. EA is the ultimate arbiter of the quality of the games released under its banner. It gets most of my ire due to that. If there is a producer/developer who is making ridiculous decisions due to personal preference (doghouses, anyone?) instead of what is good for the game, EA should step in. As in the recent push to turn TS4 into a safe space simulator -- because the game will singlehandedly make it all better -- EA should step in to remind everyone that TS4 is meant to be a game, not therapy.

Where is the oversight?

Ultimately, this is all on EA. If EA can take credit for success while crowing to stockholders, EA should be prepared to take the flack.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,647 Member
    I was not happy with 4 from the beginning really, but I was really fed up with the poor quality and lack of content after playing 4 for over a year or so. I decided to go back to 3. The game was so laggy for me that I couldn't even play it. I use a satellite internet connection and my video card at the time barely met specs. I didn't use any CC or mods, but 3 was still unplayable for me due to the lag. That was my experience back then.

I got a gaming computer last December. I tried to play 3 again. My new computer didn't have a CD Rom so I had to download all the packs. A real pita, but well worth the time and effort imo. Anyway, 3 runs great. I don't use a lot of cc or mods, but I do use a few and my game runs fine. Life is once again great. :)

I will say that I got the Island Paradise EP and was hoping it was improved by now. I quit playing IP due to the lag. I love the ability to dive, etc, but haven't taken the time to figure out what I have to do to get it to run smoothly for me. Other than IP, the rest of the game runs smoothly for me.

Back on topic, I have been disappointed beyond words with the poor quality and lack of content in 4. They used the excuse of not having an open world to improve performance. Then they use the excuse of limiting the number of lots in an EP due to performance. The reality of the entire situation to me is that the base game was poorly done for what they wanted it to do in the first place. But instead of starting over to create a more stable base game, they went with what they had to save time and money. Rushing things out the door with less content has sadly been the theme with 4 from the beginning.

To make matters worse, they leave many things unfixed. Their attitude seems to be: Thanks for spending your money on our packs, but don't expect us to fix them. We're too busy working on rushing something else out the door.

All I can say is that I haven't played 4 in almost a year now. I don't miss it a bit. I enjoy playing 3 and have no desire to spend any more money on a game that isn't giving me the quality and content I expect.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    I'm glad more people are finally speaking up about it, even if some feel the Game Changers should basically lie and pretend all is fine, but there have been these little careless to big careless mistakes for a while now extending beyond this game and nothing really gets done because some people will buy anyway, because it's such a small issue it's only noticed when you play a way that incorporates it, because it's not that big a deal the player can fix it, or because a modder will fix it. They don't have any incentive to fix things because others will do it for them or players will give them a pass.

I was reading the comments in one of those videos shared before and someone said that during a live stream one guru apparently said they leave builds the way they do for the lilsimsie's of the world? Really? I hope that isn't true but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it is. By that logic they don't fix things in the game for the twallan's of the world either. Lilsimsie made a point, all of them did actually, but it really stuck with me when she said that she can fix all the careless mistakes and it's fine but why should she have to? This has been something that's been pondered about beyond The Sims 4 as well. Yeah, we can download this mod to fix X or use this workaround to fix Y, fix Z ourselves, but why should we have to when we paid for the product from EA and Maxis? Why aren't they concerned with the quality of the content they release?

It's one thing to expect off the bat we're not going to like premade sims or homes because certain things just aren't our taste but we expect problems with every new patch or pack released. It's one thing for a CC maker or modder or someone just posting stuff in the gallery to release things with bugs or mistakes but for the offical creators of the game, who are supposed to be held to a higher standard to do it repeatedly with occasional fixes that may break something else if they ever try to fix something? And to have continuously, throughout multiple iterations done it to the point where some players rely on and have more faith in modders and CC makers than EA? That's a problem and they need to do better.
    I indeed hope that isn’t true because that would be very dismissive and disdainful. Towards lilsimsie and her very justified complaints and towards simmers in general, who pay for what they deliver and may expect something in return.

I believe that was said. They made a point of saying “Oh we included toilets this time” in a reference to the fact they forgot in Del Sol Valley. Let’s give them a pat on the back!

How on Earth they made sims 3 worlds which had 50-80 lots, I have no idea.

But then again, they can afford to be arrogant about their mistakes. They have a community that will accept it and make excuses.
    “It’s done on purpose” (the stairs to nowhere)
    “It’s to encourage us to be better builders” (mismatched roofs and all round ugly building designs)
    “Just download something else off the gallery” (When EA just use the same builds over and over in different worlds)

I'm the one who has said this and I do still believe it's a possibility because it's something that I myself would have done for a pack that represents the magical world and contains teleporters. I don't think in terms of "realistic" simming because I'm not that kind of player. I'm not in any way "making excuses" and I really don't appreciate that accusation. I have, in fact, offered my own heavy share of constructive criticism through many posts over the last four and a half years, even creating my own threads for it. Also, in the same thread that I made this statement regarding the stairway, I also said that I think the houses are more bare now because the devs are struggling to stay within the limits of the minimum specs for the game and the 32-bit users, and that they should move forward because the packs are struggling for it. But by all means, lump me into your "problematic player" category and have at it.

This blanket statement of yours (and others) is only contributing to dividing the community by blaming other players for your own malcontent over the game. We are not all a hive mind, and some people seem to have a real problem with that, no matter what side of the fence you stand on. And that's one of the major problems around here...this "fence" dividing a single yard, split into two, that some people are trying to sort others into.
    #Team Occult
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited September 2019
    what happened to the sims?? EA, the most greedy corporation of them all whom favors shareholders and quantity far over quality or their customers! that's what happened. enough said

uhuh, and have you forgotten how extremely many bugs TS 3 had? how many times it crashed and lagged even on the best gaming PC's?
    they just oversimplified TS 4 to end this huge backlash TS 3 got over it's p!ss poor performance as fast, easy and cheap as possible.

i could write whole pages about the extreme customer-unfriendly attitude of EA and how they destroyed entire franchises just for the sake of huge profit but that's a bit off-topic i guess? safe to say tho: EA ruined the Sims just like they destroyed many other once great games just because of their insatiable greed.

and for those who believe EA cares about their products: name one EA game that isn't full of bugs... one por two bugs ok, but for a simple game like TS 4 to have so freaking many flaws and bugs?? it's like they don't even test the final product and just launch at full price without regards to product quality (truth: that's EXACTLY what they do!) . basically we are paying full price for an unfinished BETA game and we just have to suck it up and let modders deal with the bugs so they won't have to >.< saves them money since they don't even pay the modders foir their work.

just for extra measure: the Sims isn't the only game suffering from EA's poor management catered towards investors and CEO's instead of their paying customers.

sure i saw people blame Maxis but i will keep pointing my arrows at the ones pulling the strings, and the winners are EA's corporate executives whom only care about lining their own pockets. if people are too blind to see this and instead blame Maxis (whom also made TS 1 and 2 be4 EA took over and forced them to ignore quality so they can put out games faster for faster $$$) or even go as far to point at the players even tho they are right to demand quality for their hard-earned money...well what can i do?? the writing is overly obviously on the wall regarding the huge (deserved!) negative publicity EA is receiving atm.

ohh if only EA would just sod of and let Maxis do their thing once again on their own terms...that would solve all problems./… not that it will happen as long as the series rakes in profit but a guy can Always dream...
    @MidnightAura and me, we’re still playing Sims 3 and we’ve forgotten nothing. Sims 3’s bugs have nothing to do with world size, Sims 4 is riddled with bugs as well. The game hardly ever crashes for us and it doesn’t lag. There is freezing sometimes, but that comes down to bad routing (you can actually improve it because of that, make adjustments to certain worlds after which they run fine, even IP). Lag has just one reason: too much CC. As long as you don’t stuff your game, there is no lag (I’ve never ever had lag in Sims 3).

If it’s true they created Sims 4 this limited and poor because of people complaining about Sims 3’s performance, that would be an absolute joke and nothing less than a sad shame. Because then they did it for the wrong reasons. They messed up Sims 3 worlds themselves - sloppy routing - and they listened to people who were bragging about their thousands of downloaded CC items. Then complaining about their game crashing.

I’ve played Sims 3 on 3 computers, starting in 2009, I still play Sims 3. I hardly ever have crashes (even with mods and CC now), I never had Error whatsitsnumber, I never had lag and my game runs as smoothly as Sims 4 for me. With all packs installed + Store stuff + mods and CC. On top of that the experience is way more fluent because I don’t get any loading screens. This is how it is, on a good PC (granted) but nothing spectacular.

@JoAnne65

Same for me. I have some NRAAS mods, all but two eps , a lot of cc, and a majority of the store. I play ts3 just fine including playing and writing a story mostly based on IP for two years.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited September 2019

@JoAnne65 almost got to the heart of the matter there...just edit out the "listening to customers"part and replace it with sweettalking the complainers into buying TS 4 promising them a good , smoothly running game and yet delivering a mess riddled with bugs and extremely bland and limited gameplay and you'll be spot on :D EA doesn't give jack about the game or us players. all they care about is draining your cash, usurping and destroying the series if they start losing profit.

@Cynna EA is the ultimate arbiter of quality for the game??? then the Sims is certainly doomed, just like other once great titles which they utterly ruined before 0.0 because EA doesn't care one bit about quality! they only care about quantity and stock value. trusting EA to fix all this is like trusting a proud shameless liar to Always tell the truth! it is BECAUSE of EA that the Sims has diminished so much as a series, never forget that fact. because why else was sims 2 so great? because Maxis didn't have money hungry EA breathing in their necks forcing them to rush production. they have no choice but to receive the flak because they are the string pullers: they have caused the whole thing themselves, nobody else to blame on that front. and to be fair: it is a growing disease within the entire gaming industry atm: more and more greedy corporations like EA are forsaking quality and player satisfaction for profit. if you're curious? check out the whole Blizzard debacle ever since Activision took over.... it is sad to say the least...
    Post edited by DanmanNefarius on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2019
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'm glad more people are finally speaking up about it, even if some feel the Game Changers should basically lie and pretend all is fine, but there have been these little careless to big careless mistakes for a while now extending beyond this game and nothing really gets done because some people will buy anyway, because it's such a small issue it's only noticed when you play a way that incorporates it, because it's not that big a deal the player can fix it, or because a modder will fix it. They don't have any incentive to fix things because others will do it for them or players will give them a pass.

I was reading the comments in one of those videos shared before and someone said that during a live stream one guru apparently said they leave builds the way they do for the lilsimsie's of the world? Really? I hope that isn't true but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it is. By that logic they don't fix things in the game for the twallan's of the world either. Lilsimsie made a point, all of them did actually, but it really stuck with me when she said that she can fix all the careless mistakes and it's fine but why should she have to? This has been something that's been pondered about beyond The Sims 4 as well. Yeah, we can download this mod to fix X or use this workaround to fix Y, fix Z ourselves, but why should we have to when we paid for the product from EA and Maxis? Why aren't they concerned with the quality of the content they release?

It's one thing to expect off the bat we're not going to like premade sims or homes because certain things just aren't our taste but we expect problems with every new patch or pack released. It's one thing for a CC maker or modder or someone just posting stuff in the gallery to release things with bugs or mistakes but for the offical creators of the game, who are supposed to be held to a higher standard to do it repeatedly with occasional fixes that may break something else if they ever try to fix something? And to have continuously, throughout multiple iterations done it to the point where some players rely on and have more faith in modders and CC makers than EA? That's a problem and they need to do better.
    I indeed hope that isn’t true because that would be very dismissive and disdainful. Towards lilsimsie and her very justified complaints and towards simmers in general, who pay for what they deliver and may expect something in return.

I believe that was said. They made a point of saying “Oh we included toilets this time” in a reference to the fact they forgot in Del Sol Valley. Let’s give them a pat on the back!

But then again, they can afford to be arrogant about their mistakes. They have a community that will accept it and make excuses.
    “It’s to encourage us to be better builders” (mismatched roofs and all round ugly building designs)
    “Just download something else off the gallery” (When EA just use the same builds over and over in different worlds)

I'm the one who has said this and I do still believe it's a possibility because it's something that I myself would have done for a pack that represents the magical world and contains teleporters. I don't think in terms of "realistic" simming because I'm not that kind of player. I'm not in any way "making excuses" and I really don't appreciate that accusation. I have, in fact, offered my own heavy share of constructive criticism through many posts over the last four and a half years, even creating my own threads for it. Also, in the same thread that I made this statement regarding the stairway, I also said that I think the houses are more bare now because the devs are struggling to stay within the limits of the minimum specs for the game and the 32-bit users, and that they should move forward because the packs are struggling for it. But by all means, lump me into your "problematic player" category and have at it.

This blanket statement of yours (and others) is only contributing to dividing the community by blaming other players for your own malcontent over the game. We are not all a hive mind, and some people seem to have a real problem with that, no matter what side of the fence you stand on. And that's one of the major problems around here...this "fence" dividing a single yard, split into two, that some people are trying to sort others into.
    So when you can teleport it’s logical to be teleported to the top of some useless stairs. I’d teleport to where ever I’d like to travel myself. And why is there a front door? Or any door for that matter in the building? Why just remove the back door?

@luvdasims55 Sent you a PM about IP. Hope I can help you there because the world’s an amazing experience, but only when it’s playable obviously (and it does need adjustments and mods to make that happen).
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2019

@JoAnne65 almost got to the heart of the matter there...just edit out the "listening to customers"part and replace it with sweettalking the complainers into buying TS 4 promising them a good , smoothly running game and yet delivering a mess riddled with bugs and extremely bland and limited gameplay and you'll be spot on :D EA doesn't give jack about the game or us players. all they care about is draining your cash, usurping and destroying the series if they start losing profit.

@Cynna EA is the ultimate arbiter of quality for the game??? then the Sims is certainly doomed, just like other once great titles which they utterly ruined before 0.0 because EA doesn't care one bit about quality! they only care about quantity and stock value. trusting EA to fix all this is like trusting a proud shameless liar to Always tell the truth! it is BECAUSE of EA that the Sims has diminished so much as a series, never forget that fact. because why else was sims 2 so great? because Maxis didn't have money hungry EA breathing in their necks forcing them to rush production. they have no choice but to receive the flak because they are the string pullers: they have caused the whole thing themselves, nobody else to blame on that front. and to be fair: it is a growing disease within the entire gaming industry atm: more and more greedy corporations like EA are forsaking quality and player satisfaction for profit. if you're curious? check out the whole Blizzard debacle ever since Activision took over.... it is sad to say the least...
    Yes, actually I think the performance complaints were a very welcome excuse for them. As for performance: I blame bad routing, I blame Sims 3 being mods unfriendly (apparently they did that on purpose?) and I blame too much DLC. Ever since they stopped developing for the game (no more packs, no more patches) things are much better. Including bugginess.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I actually wasn’t singling you out, I have saw a few people say that in different places. Unless they are all you with different usernames? Unlikely. I think you are projecting more than a little. If I were “accusing you” I would have tagged you. But then I don’t see it as an accusation, it’s a fact that many people have made that excuse for the stairs to nowhere. It is what it is.

It’s a fact that some players defend this game and accept things like recycled swatches and defend recycled animations. More power to them, I just think that’s harming the game and if you fall into the latter then we need to agree to disagree on how that impacts the game and the series as a whole.
    what happened to the sims?? EA, the most greedy corporation of them all whom favors shareholders and quantity far over quality or their customers! that's what happened. enough said

uhuh, and have you forgotten how extremely many bugs TS 3 had? how many times it crashed and lagged even on the best gaming PC's?
    they just oversimplified TS 4 to end this huge backlash TS 3 got over it's p!ss poor performance as fast, easy and cheap as possible.

i could write whole pages about the extreme customer-unfriendly attitude of EA and how they destroyed entire franchises just for the sake of huge profit but that's a bit off-topic i guess? safe to say tho: EA ruined the Sims just like they destroyed many other once great games just because of their insatiable greed.

and for those who believe EA cares about their products: name one EA game that isn't full of bugs... one por two bugs ok, but for a simple game like TS 4 to have so freaking many flaws and bugs?? it's like they don't even test the final product and just launch at full price without regards to product quality (truth: that's EXACTLY what they do!) . basically we are paying full price for an unfinished BETA game and we just have to suck it up and let modders deal with the bugs so they won't have to >.< saves them money since they don't even pay the modders foir their work.

just for extra measure: the Sims isn't the only game suffering from EA's poor management catered towards investors and CEO's instead of their paying customers.

sure i saw people blame Maxis but i will keep pointing my arrows at the ones pulling the strings, and the winners are EA's corporate executives whom only care about lining their own pockets. if people are too blind to see this and instead blame Maxis (whom also made TS 1 and 2 be4 EA took over and forced them to ignore quality so they can put out games faster for faster $$$) or even go as far to point at the players even tho they are right to demand quality for their hard-earned money...well what can i do?? the writing is overly obviously on the wall regarding the huge (deserved!) negative publicity EA is receiving atm.

ohh if only EA would just sod of and let Maxis do their thing once again on their own terms...that would solve all problems./… not that it will happen as long as the series rakes in profit but a guy can Always dream...

Thank you for saving me the time to basically say all of this.
    edited September 2019
    Yes, actually I think the performance complaints were a very welcome excuse for them. As for performance: I blame bad routing, I blame Sims 3 being mods unfriendly (apparently they did that on purpose?) and I blame too much DLC. Ever since they stopped developing for the game (no more packs, no more patches) things are much better. Including bugginess.

exactly that :) never get the illusion that EA has any form of morality. they will use anything to suit their shady corporate agendas and they have proven too many times that they shun no disgusting methods to line their pockets with minimal effort. sims 3 mod unfriendly?? odd since EA relies on modders to fix their mess for free since all their own patches do is grace us with even more gamebreaking bugs IF they even bother to fix the many bugs or stupid mechanics like the celebrity performancing mess (which still is in the game, i had to get a mod to disable the dancing celebrity mess!) :p atm i also swapped back to sims 3 because i am quite fed up with TS 4 and after getting just mods like MC, Overwatch and SP and some bugfixing mods i have to say.....god it's been a while since i actually forgot the time and played untill daybreak again because i was actually enjoying myself!!! XD it takes some work (modding, replacing the bad routed EA worlds like Isla and Bridgeport with properly fixed ones) but after i was done i actually had fun again instead of the headaches TS 4 delivers me more and more

edited September 2019
    It’s a fact that some players defend this game and accept things like recycled swatches and defend recycled animations. More power to them, I just think that’s harming the game and if you fall into the latter then we need to agree to disagree on how that impacts the game and the series as a whole.

true, but what do you propose to do about it then? EA clearly doesn't care and if they deem the game not profitable enough anymore they will simply pull the plug and end the series entirely. And that's what i think strikes fear into fans of the series: because EA has already done this to at least a dozen other once great game series before :/ i have seen this happen to the C&C series...and it was a bitter pill to swallow let me tell you since i was a big time C&C fan when Westwood still owned it! then EA came in with their greedy hides and murdered the series in no time at all…. and now it's a dead horse, and the Sims is just one of the series suffering from the greedy EA disease atm... i already am shuddering to think what they are up to…..will we see microtransactions coming to the Sims too??? i am certain they are devising some way to do this as we speak! wouldn't surprise me one bit! i still pray Maxis would be freed from EA one day so we can see the series grow back to what it used to be: a good series!

ohh and let's get this out of the way: i am not saying this because of the media hype around it, i severely dislike jumping on bandwagons, but i have seen this too many times and EA is rightfully notorious for their greed and tendency to milk their playerbase for every penny they can squeeze and show absolutely no restraint at all.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2019

Very well said and I agree with you. I also believed some people tried to play on options that was beyond thier system specs. I always will blame EA/Maxis for not tweaking or fix the bugs in an timely manner. Also you are correct Sims 4 is experiencing some of the problems that existed in Sims 3, Poor tweaking of one's program and that is what it is to me. Also, some know this but will not acknowledge it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Good one :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited September 2019

exactly that :) never get the illusion that EA has any form of morality. they will use anything to suit their shady corporate agendas and they have proven too many times that they shun no disgusting methods to line their pockets with minimal effort. sims 3 mod unfriendly?? odd since EA relies on modders to fix their mess for free since all their own patches do is grace us with even more gamebreaking bugs IF they even bother to fix the many bugs or stupid mechanics like the celebrity performancing mess (which still is in the game, i had to get a mod to disable the dancing celebrity mess!) :p atm i also swapped back to sims 3 because i am quite fed up with TS 4 and after getting just mods like MC, Overwatch and SP and some bugfixing mods i have to say.....god it's been a while since i actually forgot the time and played untill daybreak again because i was actually enjoying myself!!! XD it takes some work (modding, replacing the bad routed EA worlds like Isla and Bridgeport with properly fixed ones) but after i was done i actually had fun again instead of the headaches TS 4 delivers me more and more
    Sims 3 doesn’t even come with a Mods folder, you have to create that yourself first, following a third party tutorial. I remember reading once that was deliberate, though indeed the game highly benefits from Mods fixes (as does Sims 4). In my book mods should just be for pimping up a game, not fixing or saving it.
    5JZ57S6.png

true, but what do you propose to do about it then? EA clearly doesn't care and if they deem the game not profitable enough anymore they will simply pull the plug and end the series entirely. And that's what i think strikes fear into fans of the series: because EA has already done this to at least a dozen other once great game series before :/ i have seen this happen to the C&C series...and it was a bitter pill to swallow let me tell you since i was a big time C&C fan when Westwood still owned it! then EA came in with their greedy hides and murdered the series in no time at all…. and now it's a dead horse, and the Sims is just one of the series suffering from the greedy EA disease atm... i already am shuddering to think what they are up to…..will we see microtransactions coming to the Sims too??? i am certain they are devising some way to do this as we speak! wouldn't surprise me one bit! i still pray Maxis would be freed from EA one day so we can see the series grow back to what it used to be: a good series!

The only thing we can do as consumers is vote with our wallets if we are unhappy. I would suggest that to anyone unhappy with anything they pay money for. I have saw many a franchise I have loved ruined by EA. Unfortunately The Sims is another nail in the coffin. All be it the nail is half in (if I’m trying to be optimistic)

I agree, many are scared for the end of the Sims. I used to be. I’m not sitting here hoping it will end tomorrow, I think I’m indifferent. But I do think the game should not go out on a low note like Sim City did. But there’s nothing we can do. The decision to pull the plug or indeed carry on beating a dead horse is out with our control. We only have one choice. But as long as people will continue buying dlc if they are unhappy then there is no incentive to change. There’s no competition. Just an audience buying hope. And sometimes I think that’s part of the problem. It’s a destructive circle.

For the record I’m not referring to any one poster in the above.
    I’m not referring to those who buy the game who genuinely enjoy it.
    And I’m also not suggesting that people are buying the game and they don’t like it. I’m more referring to people like A friend of mine who buys all the dlc regardless of what it is “because it’s sims and she is a completionist. And while that’s not a problem if that’s what floats your boat (and I was that person for the entire Sims 1-3 run) it’s a problem when you have people like my friend who buys packs out of principle she thinks are rubbish. For example she bought StrangerVille despite hating the premise of it and never touching it, she bought Moschino stuff despite hating all the items and never bothering with the career.

Let me stress: if the above applies to you and you are happy with your choices: more power to you. I just think my friends attitude is damaging the franchise and leading to a lot of corners being cut because the devs know the community will grumble but will still reach for their wallets in doing so. One of the former CMs, (I believe it was Drake but don’t quote me) admitted as such on twitter. They know they are guaranteed fans money. They will get it on preorder/launch or on sale. But they know they will get it.

That’s a pretty arrogant attitude to have and they haven’t got that attitude from nowhere.

Sims 3 doesn’t even come with a Mods folder, you have to create that yourself first, following a third party tutorial. I remember reading once that was deliberate, though indeed the game highly benefits from Mods fixes (as does Sims 4). In my book mods should just be for pimping up a game, not fixing or saving it.

Ahhh ok yeah :p but why do you think they did include a mod folder for ts 4 ^_^ they deffo didn't mind modders doing all their work for them for free so they made it easier in ts 4 lol why did they do it on purpose in ts 3? we may never know...perhaps they were scared modders would make expansion pack content resulting in loss of sales?? actually...that sounds quite like the thinking of EA...

edited September 2019

The only thing we can do as consumers is vote with our wallets if we are unhappy. I would suggest that to anyone unhappy with anything they pay money for. I have saw many a franchise I have loved ruined by EA. Unfortunately The Sims is another nail in the coffin. All be it the nail is half in (if I’m trying to be optimistic)

I agree, many are scared for the end of the Sims. I used to be. I’m not sitting here hoping it will end tomorrow, I think I’m indifferent. But I do think the game should not go out on a low note like Sim City did. But there’s nothing we can do. The decision to pull the plug or indeed carry on beating a dead horse is out with our control. We only have one choice. But as long as people will continue buying dlc if they are unhappy then there is no incentive to change. There’s no competition. Just an audience buying hope. And sometimes I think that’s part of the problem. It’s a destructive circle.

For the record I’m not referring to any one poster in the above.
    I’m not referring to those who buy the game who genuinely enjoy it.
    And I’m also not suggesting that people are buying the game and they don’t like it. I’m more referring to people like A friend of mine who buys all the dlc regardless of what it is “because it’s sims and she is a completionist. And while that’s not a problem if that’s what floats your boat (and I was that person for the entire Sims 1-3 run) it’s a problem when you have people like my friend who buys packs out of principle she thinks are rubbish. For example she bought StrangerVille despite hating the premise of it and never touching it, she bought Moschino stuff despite hating all the items and never bothering with the career.

Let me stress: if the above applies to you and you are happy with your choices: more power to you. I just think my friends attitude is damaging the franchise and leading to a lot of corners being cut because the devs know the community will grumble but will still reach for their wallets in doing so. One of the former CMs, (I believe it was Drake but don’t quote me) admitted as such on twitter. They know they are guaranteed fans money. They will get it on preorder/launch or on sale. But they know they will get it.

That’s a pretty arrogant attitude to have and they haven’t got that attitude from nowhere.

i know exactly what you mean and i myself only buy DLC that appeals to me and have me convinced i will get my money's worth ( in content that is. Qualitywise EA games never deliver anymore nowadays, all buggy BETA games) . even though i myself are a completionist as well lol i refuse to buy the stuff packs since 10 eur is imo too expensive for just some chairs and a few pieces of clothing. but to be blunt: all sims 4 dlc is rather poor considering the prices they charge, especially in the EU since they equate the price in euros to the price in USD thus the eu folks are paying more than us folks (just a side note). this is especially clear when you compare ts 3 pets to ts 4 cats and dogs. at least the expansions in TS 3 gave quite a lot of new features, gameplay, worlds and items while in ts 4 you get a meager 5 lot world (if Lucky) some gameplay and a lot of worthless stuff like more chairs and the likes. literally the only worthwhile expansions in ts 4 imo are Get together (i love Windenburg and the club system was a really great new concept) and seasons (tho it pales in comparison to ts 3 seasons by a mile!). the only thing TS 4 did better than TS 3 so far are the vampires if you enjoy occults since i found vampires in ts 3 really boring compared to say fairies and witches and the club system... game packs tend to be on the ok side (again, if you care about occults, they did make vampires much more enjoyable in TS 4 and the new witches also are quite amusing once they fix the bugs plagueing them atm) but at this point i am not that eager to ever spend a dime on EA games at all, even if it means watching yet another great series being murdered by EA's greedy corporate ways. it is a waste but heck...i can Always just slide in the Sims 3 or 2 if i want so who cares anyways :D in the meantime i continue enjoying governements taking more and more interests in EA's scummy ways of treating their customers… they have that attitude now...but as governements are taking a note of their ways they are sweating behind those shades >:D because it is quiiiite juicy to put it mildly...in that regard we simmers haven't seen the sleaziest parts yet but i dare to bet they are looking for ways to include microtransactions and/or lootboxing into the Sims PC series as we speak! i deffo wouldn't put it past them as they already included this in other series like Need for Speed.

this is my opinion tho: if others find that a few chairs is worth full price for whatever reasons they have? well who am i to argue? it's their money after all and is theirs to spend as they please, but i do share your opinion: as long as EA gets enough people to open their wallets for such little actual new content they have absolutely no reason to change their ways! because truth: Ea only cares about sales numbers, they couldn't care one bit about the game, it's fans and their opinions because well... they simply can get away with it.
    Post edited by DanmanNefarius on

So when you can teleport it’s logical to be teleported to the top of some useless stairs. I’d teleport to where ever I’d like to travel myself. And why is there a front door? Or any door for that matter in the building? Why just remove the back door?

luvdasims55 Sent you a PM about IP. Hope I can help you there because the world’s an amazing experience, but only when it’s playable obviously (and it does need adjustments and mods to make that happen).

Not sure why you want to argue this, my post wasn't addressing you, but okay, if you really need an explanation, here is a summary of what went through my mind when I saw it.

Glimmerbrook is a town where Spellcasters live. Spellcasters often live in a world of magic, but not necessarily in an obvious way, especially if they have to hide themselves in the "normal" Sims worlds. So a Spellcaster's house might have subtle signs if you know what to look for. A staircase that leads to nowhere in the back of the house out of view is the magic entrance to the building. It's how magical folk get in and out regularly. The front door is to blend into "normal" society. (Or, for actual gaming practicality, it's there because people don't begin the game with a teleport spell.) It tells its own story.

Seriously, honestly what I thought of when I saw it. Not "making excuses", cross my heart, lol. I understand it's not necessarily what everyone else thought, (especially the Game Changer who hates Occults and doesn't "get" that kind of gameplay,) but it's what I thought, and it made sense to me.

I actually wasn’t singling you out, I have saw a few people say that in different places. Unless they are all you with different usernames? Unlikely. I think you are projecting more than a little. If I were “accusing you” I would have tagged you. But then I don’t see it as an accusation, it’s a fact that many people have made that excuse for the stairs to nowhere. It is what it is.

My point had nothing to do with "singling me out", it's about making assumptions about other players and I happened to be one of the players who made the quoted statement so I spoke up for myself because your assumptions are incorrect. It's clear we already disagree on the stairway, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's you who seem so deeply bothered by that small disagreement that you only choose to see it as "making excuses". Do you not see the issue with that?

Yes, some players do defend the game because some players really love this game. What you see as problematic is not going to be universal. what I see as problematic is also not universal. That's life. But when did this conversation become about recycled swatches and me "defending" animations and the impact on the game? This was about the perspective of a simple, single staircase but you have seemed to, again, made a blanket assumption about my opinions because of this one disagreement regarding that silly staircase.

#Team Occult
    edited September 2019

luvdasims55 Sent you a PM about IP. Hope I can help you there because the world’s an amazing experience, but only when it’s playable obviously (and it does need adjustments and mods to make that happen).

Not sure why you want to argue this, my post wasn't addressing you, but okay, if you really need an explanation, here is a summary of what went through my mind when I saw it.

Glimmerbrook is a town where Spellcasters live. Spellcasters often live in a world of magic, but not necessarily in an obvious way, especially if they have to hide themselves in the "normal" Sims worlds. So a Spellcaster's house might have subtle signs if you know what to look for. A staircase that leads to nowhere in the back of the house out of view is the magic entrance to the building. It's how magical folk get in and out regularly. The front door is to blend into "normal" society. (Or, for actual gaming practicality, it's there because people don't begin the game with a teleport spell.) It tells its own story.

Seriously, honestly what I thought of when I saw it. Not "making excuses", cross my heart, lol. I understand it's not necessarily what everyone else thought, (especially the Game Changer who hates Occults and doesn't "get" that kind of gameplay,) but it's what I thought, and it made sense to me.

My point had nothing to do with "singling me out", it's about making assumptions about other players and I happened to be one of the players who made the quoted statement so I spoke up for myself because your assumptions are incorrect. It's clear we already disagree on the stairway, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's you who seem so deeply bothered by that small disagreement that you only choose to see it as "making excuses". Do you not see the issue with that?

Yes, some players do defend the game because some players really love this game. What you see as problematic is not going to be universal. what I see as problematic is also not universal. That's life. But when did this conversation become about recycled swatches and me "defending" animations and the impact on the game? This was about the perspective of a simple, single staircase but you have seemed to, again, made a blanket assumption about my opinions because of this one disagreement regarding that silly staircase.

Deeply bothered? No. I’m really, really not. I have a lot in my life that I’m deeply bothered about, but a video game? No.
    I’m simply saying people excused poor decisions. That’s a fact. People have. I don’t see it as an issue because people chose to defend said poor decisions and that’s entirely on them and their right if they wish to do so. It’s not an accusation to say people defended it when I don’t have to look far to see it happening. It’s no skin off my nose if people want to defend it.
    I don’t know how else to describe the behaviour. I’m just calling it out for what it is. I don’t think it’s making assumptions at all about anyone. There are some people who are unhappy with the state of certain things in the pack like poor quality builds; and they spoke up about it. Eg lil simsie, James Turner, various other game changers and members of the community.

Then there are some who defended it and said it wasn’t a big deal and yes made excuses for why things may have been the way they were. That is what happened. (And of course there is people that didn’t care either way) This is not me dividing the community, the community has always and will always be divided especially on issues like this because you will always get those that care, those that don’t and those that will defend it. There’s no accusations. It’s simply a case of saying what I see happen, now, in the past and sadly no doubt in the future with dlc.

And again let me reiterate: I have not ever made a blanket assumption about YOUR opinions. You chose to take my quote and assume that I was referring to you. When I wasn’t. Had I been I would have tagged you. Your username never came to mind when I wrote that. I was and am speaking generally of what I have saw on various forums, social media and Sims groups. This conversation was never about Lielf’s opinions. No offence. It was a general statement of behaviour I have witnessed.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

You're preaching to the choir, my friend. My post was in response to the insistence, of late, that EA is not to blame because Maxis has been granted autonomy to do as they see fit. Yet, in the end, EA is the parent company. If they allow a shallow piece of smoke and mirror ware to be published under their banner, EA bears the ultimate responsibility.

As you say, EA being responsible is a truly disconcerting thought. EA is the raging bull, ramming its way through the gaming industry, leaving only destruction and the memories of what once was in its wake.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited September 2019
    Cynna wrote: »

You're preaching to the choir, my friend. My post was in response to the insistence, of late, that EA is not to blame because Maxis has been granted autonomy to do as they see fit. Yet, in the end, EA is the parent company. If they allow a shallow piece of smoke and mirror ware to be published under their banner, EA bears the ultimate responsibility.

As you say, EA being responsible is a truly disconcerting thought. EA is the raging bull, ramming its way through the gaming industry, leaving only destruction and the memories of what once was in its wake.

@Cynna ahh i see :) my bad then ^_^ but do all of them even realize Maxis is merely a dead empty shell acting as a lightning rod while EA rakes in the profits. i did some research while reading these topics to discover Maxis isn't even an existing entity anymore… just another ghost of the past devoured by the greedy usurper that is called EA.

and i am pretty sure EA is perfectly aware of what's going on in their studios and developing teams, but as long as the profit margins are to their liking the don't care one bit about quality or player reception. they only care about stock value and profit margins. does it end up killing of a game series?? they don't give a darn and just usurp another popular series to start the cycle all over again.

a raging bull?? they are more like a viral disease. at least a raging bull gets attention immediately while a viral disease sneaks and slithers in unnoticed untill victims start to pile up. it took the media and governements years to even notice how malicious their lootboxing tactics like their golden horse FIFA FUT actually is, preying even on children if left unchecked. i never realized it myself untill i started looking into this and let me say...i am genuinely disgusted how shameless they have become the last few years

Deeply bothered? No. I’m really, really not. I have a lot in my life that I’m deeply bothered about, but a video game? No.
    I’m simply saying people excused poor decisions. That’s a fact. People have. I don’t see it as an issue because people chose to defend said poor decisions and that’s entirely on them and their right if they wish to do so. It’s not an accusation to say people defended it when I don’t have to look far to see it happening. It’s no skin off my nose if people want to defend it.
    I don’t know how else to describe the behaviour. I’m just calling it out for what it is. I don’t think it’s making assumptions at all about anyone. There are some people who are unhappy with the state of certain things in the pack like poor quality builds; and they spoke up about it. Eg lil simsie, James Turner, various other game changers and members of the community.

Then there are some who defended it and said it wasn’t a big deal and yes made excuses for why things may have been the way they were. That is what happened. (And of course there is people that didn’t care either way) This is not me dividing the community, the community has always and will always be divided especially on issues like this because you will always get those that care, those that don’t and those that will defend it. There’s no accusations. It’s simply a case of saying what I see happen, now, in the past and sadly no doubt in the future with dlc.

And again let me reiterate: I have not ever made a blanket assumption about YOUR opinions. You chose to take my quote and assume that I was referring to you. When I wasn’t. Had I been I would have tagged you. Your username never came to mind when I wrote that. I was and am speaking generally of what I have saw on various forums, social media and Sims groups. This conversation was never about Lielf’s opinions. No offence. It was a general statement of behaviour I have witnessed.

Okay, look. You may not have referenced me personally, but because you included a specific quote and it's something I have said, and you were making a snap judgement about people who say it, that makes your statement include me, doesn't it? Just because you didn't tag me specifically doesn't suddenly change the sentiment. So I pointed out that your perception of those who make that specific statement (saying that they are "making excuses") is inaccurate. That not everyone who made that statement was in a tizzy to "defend" Sims 4 or the bad habits of development, meaning you might be reading too deep into it. Some people just saw it differently. That is all, and that is not calling out behavior for "what it is", it's painting a bunch of people (myself included) with the same jaded brush to try to give weight to your opinion. But I'm quite sure that I know what I meant with that statement better than you do.

You keep trying to make this conversation about all these other things like builds and swatches and greater issues, as if you're trying to have a different argument with me, and that's part of the problem here. I was addressing that one specific thing in your post.

And as far as making assumptions about me, you said this:

"It’s a fact that some players defend this game and accept things like recycled swatches and defend recycled animations. More power to them, I just think that’s harming the game and if you fall into the latter then we need to agree to disagree on how that impacts the game and the series as a whole."

This reads to me like an assumption about what I was arguing, where I stand on those issues, and it had absolutely nothing to do with what I addressed.

Anyway, this is enough back and forth for me about it. Peace out.
    #Team Occult
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »

Look I am pretty critical of game changers but that was uncalled for in my opinion. I actually want them to be more critical because they are our best chance at getting things done at this point. I get annoyed when it is all sunshine and roses because it isn’t.

We can’t knock them for saying all the positives and none of the negatives and when they are critical knock them for that too. I say cut the guy some slack he had valid critiques in his video.

Are you saying you would prefer to be publicly embarrassed by your loved ones instead of privately addressed? Really - you think that is a great thing to do?

Reprimanding and publicly embarrassing someone that one proclaims to love or care about is not a sign of affection from what I was taught - That is not love.

HUH?? This is a gaming company not family member pfft...lol I prefer the game changers to tell the truth about what is wrong with the game. The example given was James telling the truth about issues he found with the game and someone told him to keep quiet and don't bite the hand that feeds you etc. The game changers are feeding EA just as much as they are feeding them. They ARE game changers because they HAVE a significant amount of followers.

Anyway as I said before I am critical of them too because I don't think they are being honest about the game. I took issue with the person who told James pretty much not to be honest with the public because they are giving you free stuff. I am betting it was his complaint that got the counters fixed in the first place so yeah I want them to speak up about the low quality they have been putting out.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »

Look I am pretty critical of game changers but that was uncalled for in my opinion. I actually want them to be more critical because they are our best chance at getting things done at this point. I get annoyed when it is all sunshine and roses because it isn’t.

We can’t knock them for saying all the positives and none of the negatives and when they are critical knock them for that too. I say cut the guy some slack he had valid critiques in his video.

Are you saying you would prefer to be publicly embarrassed by your loved ones instead of privately addressed? Really - you think that is a great thing to do?

Reprimanding and publicly embarrassing someone that one proclaims to love or care about is not a sign of affection from what I was taught - That is not love.

That's a bit of an extreme comparison. The Game Changers are in no way Maxis's "loved ones". They're players like everyone else in the first place and have every right to speak their mind in public. What that person was saying to James was: be quiet and don't complain at all, which is absolutely not okay. And you can love and enjoy a thing and still be objective and recognize things that could be better.

GCs not only have their own thoughts about the game - good and bad, thoughts they say on a smaller scale throughout their videos anyway - but they also know what their viewers think, good and bad, from comments and twitter replies etc. If you really think they're supposed to only praise the game, how are they meant to live up to the "changers" part?

Criticism, especially constructive, is how something gets better. And while a big part of the GC program is to show off the game to an audience that EA might not have, in a way that they can't, another big part is very much letting them know what can be improved. That tweet asking him to just be quiet and not do anything was uncalled for and wrong.

Yes Yes YES...
    Sorry slow with reading the following comments.

@JoAnne65 , @Scobre @MidnightAura @Cynna and @ApparentlyAwesome

In agreement with your comments too. Sometimes I think I am not clear in my explanation because some responses just shock me. Then I see that other people understand what I am trying to say LOL