The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims are returning home from vacation... in the past?

When my sim returns home from China they return to a house they used to live in with all changed since the move reversed. Those housemates who have died after their move are now alive, the new husband of my explorer's sister (who has moved in) has vanished, the pet they adopted after the move has gone. It appears to me that their family (who had stayed behind) had reverted back to a former version of itself.

I'm not sure if what I'm doing wrong so from the top:
I have installed the traveller mod (nraas) to move my explorer family to a new town without losing my tomb progress abroad.
+Family made in Strangetown (custom world)
+Explorer travels to and from China without any snags
+After a generation, family moved from Strangetown to Appaloosa Plains
-Picked a Base Camp
-Selected a lot to be set at Ownable
-Purchased said lot as Vacation Home
-City Hall>nraas>Traveler>Change Hometown
+Lived here for a few sim weeks
+Moved to a new house within Appaloosa Plains
+One daughter travels to China

Upon return, I am no longer in my new home and my family has reverted.

I have looked around online for several days trying to figure out if anyone else has had this issue, no luck.

Has anyone seen this before? I wonder (and hope this isn't the case) if my deleting the cache files has caused some hiccups. I have Errortrap and Overwatch as well.

Thank you!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2019
    Instead of looking around for days, I hope you do realize that we support the mods at NRaas? You could also have brought the issue to us over there. :)

Let's look at the steps you took to move permanently from the custom world to Appaloosa, because there is a step missing there (possibly you did not really miss a step, but just neglected to type it out).
    I'm not sure if what I'm doing wrong so from the top:
    I have installed the traveller mod (nraas) to move my explorer family to a new town without losing my tomb progress abroad.
    +Family made in Strangetown (custom world)
    +Explorer travels to and from China without any snags
    +After a generation, family moved from Strangetown to Appaloosa Plains
    -Picked a Base Camp
    -Selected a lot to be set at Ownable
    -Purchased said lot as Vacation Home
    -City Hall>nraas>Traveler>Change Hometown

+Lived here for a few sim weeks
    +Moved to a new house within Appaloosa Plains
    +One daughter travels to China

At the point where you invoked Change Hometown, was your traveling party from the custom world still staying at the Base Camp or did you direct them to move into what was then a purchased vacation home? We are very careful to say on the FAQ page for Traveler, a couple of times in bold, that the move to an owned (vacation) home must be completed all the way first, there will be moving in animations, sims will gather up some stuff that looks like luggage, and make their way over to their new home, or else the Change Hometown command is not going to properly and completely assign the world being visited as a proper homeworld going forward.

I suspect what is really loading is a fresh instance of Appaloosa though. Does your returning sim actually know anyone in town whom they wouldn't have in Appaloosa had it never actually been played for a few sim weeks?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JanelliellioJanelliellio Posts: 239 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes, they had completed the move. I hadn't invoked the Change Hometown until I was sure everyone was on the new lot including the pet (horse)! The instructions on the website were definitely super clear about this:)

Oddly, on reboot, the sim returns to her original hometown instead. I then have her travel to Appaloosa Plains. She must choose a Base Camp, after which she is prompted to Choose Home Lot. Her family is updated and living across the street, but she is no longer part of the family :( Ah, well.

EDIT: Ah, jeez, I was unaware you guys had a new site *facepalm* I shall venture on over there
    Okay, we can thus dismiss there having been an improper/incomplete move to Appaloosa.

Afraid I can't begin to imagine the combination of factors that had caused all of that to happen. If you had multiple (unwanted) game folders such as in OneDrive somewhere along the way, in that case I could see an older version of Appaloosa's nhd file somehow getting reinserted into the game rather than the one in the timeline from where your sim left. But that wouldn't send her all the way back to the custom world.

You might be okay there. You could move your sim into Appaloosa formally again and then use MasterController to reassemble the household if you wish. But honestly, if I had a save from before the trip to China I would probably try to replay the whole thing because something certainly went unexpectedly wrong along the way and we don't know what other strange things are going to happen next.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited September 2019
    RE-EDIT: You're so quick lol. I was just thinking about doing that, reassembling the family and moving forward from there. I am, however, concerned about this issue happening again when the traveler goes out n about again. Can I somehow reinforce that this is, in fact, their homeworld? ....A Redo?

Edits forever: Turns out the family tree is completely borked and a couple siblings (who occupy other homes in the same neighborhood) are completely missing. Sounds like a job for Cry About It and I've Learned My Lesson.

Multiple saves are a necessary friend.
    edited September 2019
    If you haven't been to our new site or realized we had one, is it possible that you have an older version of Traveler in play? The current version was fully released two years ago and it fixed a LOT of issues with worlds not being identified correctly -- always a potential issue with custom worlds, Appaloosa was never on the short list of EA worlds known to cause issues. Might be worth checking on the freshness of all of your NRaas mods while there. If you aren't sure about version numbers, Overwatch has a Version command that will display the version numbers of all installed NRaas mods or you could look at most of the ErrorTrap logs as those are also listed there and compare them to the current version numbers listed down the right side of the sites' pages.

Be careful with mods that have add-on modules, though. You wouldn't want to update MasterController without also updating MC Cheats for example (if you have these), same with StoryProgression and some of the SP modules.

On reinforcing homeworld assignments, when in Appaloosa and while the game should be considering it everyone's homeworld, you might consider running DebugEnabler's Fix Homeworld command. The worst thing it can do (as long as you really are in a homeworld when it's running and not a WA world) is tell you there is nothing to fix. But if your sims' homeworld assignments were faulty, then I would also think they would be unable to work or go to school. Provided of course you make them do these things.

So given the info at hand, I would still want to replay things from Appaloosa after the move. But if you have a way to revert all the way back to the custom world and replay from there, before they ever moved out of it that is, that is also a viable route to take or one to hold out as a last resort.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I will definitely look into all the versions I have of the the NRaas mods, thank you for that tip!
    I will also check out the Fix Homeworld command! Maybe that would restore the missing family.. because, unfortunately, I had not had the foresight to have a save further back enough.
    edited September 2019
    Oh no..and now we are editing and adding this thread on top of one another (I'll stop after this post).

The DebugEnabler command only checks on and reinforces homeworld assignments, it's not really a magic fix for as many things having gone wrong as now described.

I'm now not feeling very confident that there is a "safe" way to play this game forward.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    (I vowed the same thing lol)

Well, igazor, it is always a pleasure. Off to find inspiration in a new family. I keep trying the explorer thing but borked games seems to be my MO so I never get very far. Thank you, again!
    PLOT.
    TWIST.

Fix Homeworld worked. The siblings have be reinstated, I used NRaas to add the (Newly discovered) removed sims back to the household. :open_mouth: Holy Cowplant. I've only lost the horse. Can live with this.

I wonder if all of this can ever be made stable again.
    Sounds like it's worth playing through then, with limited expectations, to see what happens. At the very least you could save your newly reassembled household down to the bin in Edit Town for placement in a new game in case more strange things happen with this one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!