Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spellbook Fix

I bought Lady Ravendancer Goth's Book o' Spells from the store and I am struggling to find a fix.
What happens is that my sims approach the book, begins to read and I can hear the sound effects and see everything working including the learning bar increasing steadily but when it's time for the spell to finish being learned my sim gets reset. I have Nraas Error trap and Overwatch installed and each time my sim gets reset i get a message from Error Trap that simply says there was an error. Is there a fix that still works in 2019?
giphy.gif

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It might help if we could read the script log file that ErrorTrap generates whenever this happens so we can see what it is saying. The on-screen notifications that an error has been logged do not usually give enough (or any) information to work with. You would have to bring the script log files to us at NRaas for help in interpreting them, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    Wow - You responded faster than I could say "Where is igazor?" So thanks! Where would the script log file be? Also - I just tried something. I moved the entire sims 3 folder to my desktop (to preserve my mods, custom content, saves, etc) and started the game again so that a new folder could spawn. It did and so I tested the spellbook in the fresh default world - and it worked. That is, my sims did not reset after successfully learning the spell. So now I am trying to figure out which mod and/or custom content item was causing the issue. As I mull that over will the script log file be located at the bottom of the folder where Mods, Saves, etc are? I check all mods and custom content I download regularly and I know that I have no "bad" items installed, although I have maybe 3 items that conflict that have nothing to do with anything supernatural related. I have a hunch of what could be the culprits so I am going to try (quickly and carefully) and see if I can narrow down the problem mod/content.
    giphy.gif
    edited August 2019
    When the mods throw or capture ("trap") an error, in addition to the on-screen notification they create a log file a few minutes later whose names begin with ScriptError (and then include the name of your computer, the date/time, and some hex codes). They will accumulate in your TS3 user game folder in Documents until there are around 11 or 12 of them and then start overwriting each other with the oldest ones going out first.

Sounds like you are on the right track to finding the culprit though. Likely the only thing an ErrorTrap log would tell us in this particular case is that some other mod is interfering with the store item but it won't necessarily tell us which one. A few months ago you were looking for supernatural themed mods and I suggested trying the Sims Asylum as well as MTS. Perhaps it was a mod you picked up from one of those sites that did not take the spellbook into account at its time of creation?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2019
    Oh thanks, I see the list of error files now - and yes I think it is most likely one of the older mods from one of those sites. I'm currently going through them and narrowing the list of suspects. I will hopefully have an update within the next hour. Would I be allowed in this forum, do you think, to mention the offending mod by name so that anyone else who may have this issue knows what mod may be causing their issues as well? I'm relatively new to being active in the Sims discussions and wouldn't want to break any rules or do anything in poor taste. After all whichever mod is causing the issue was safe enough to pass my regular Delphy's Dashboard and Custard checks.
    giphy.gif
    It's fine to post about it here, but also helpful might be a post about it on the message board associated with the mod at its source once you identify it. Unless of course you find that such has been mentioned there by other players already.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!