Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

anyone worried magic won't be fleshed out due to it being a game pack

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    No, if anything, I expect to be more fleshed out like Vampires since that is the whole focus of the pack. People might want everything at once; but I like this idea more since they can really improve on occults this way, even if it means having to wait.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2019
    Worried isn't the right word (I don't care enough to be worried about it,) but I do expect some shortcomings. I'm probably about to voice an extremely unpopular opinion, but I don't feel like vampires are as "fleshed out" as people make them out to be. Most of their powers have essentially the same function as either cheats or traits that already existed. The bulk of that pack seemed to be animation work, if anything.. so I'm not a follower of the philosophy that Vampires is an indication that this pack will be "fleshed out."

Though to be clear, I do enjoy Vampires nonetheless. It just gives me doubts as to whether or not they can be more innovative this time around.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    I think the purpose of releasing this content as a game pack is exactly not to dilute magic amidst other features which could overshadow or take a toll on it in an expansion pack.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2019
    Not too worried at the moment. Game packs have almost always done better then expansion packs, especially in terms of new gameplay. From what we have so far, I'd say it looks promising, but I'm trying not to get too excited until we have more info!

I was just about to say this - game packs are always better IMO. I wonder why... maybe we have lower expectations and so are usually pleasantly surprised by game packs.

I think like others have said, if using Vampires as the standard, magic is going to be great. I actually never played vampires (I have the pack for build/buy but never played as a vampire) but am feeling very inspired to do so now! Maybe I’m just overly excited for ROM, I’ve always been a “realistic” player, but lately I feel like I have enough of real life in real life! Bring on the magic! 😁

It's because game packs have a deep focus on a smaller theme. Expansions have a wider scope over multiple features, and as a result, not as in-depth. Game packs are rarely shallow for that reason.

Lyndsey Pearson explained it this way:

"I’m really excited about Game Packs. It has given us a space that lets us go deeper on a feature we’d otherwise have to handle in an Expansion Pack but something too big to fit into a Stuff Pack. When we’re building an Expansion Pack we like to offer a number of new experiences, we want to create many ways to engage with that content. With a Game Pack we can be really focused. This means we get a chance to add more detail and more flavor than we might get to in an Expansion."
    https://simsvip.com/2016/07/13/behind-scenes-lyndsay-pearson-developing-sims-4/
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    People should be more worried if it was an expansion game packs have more detail even though Vampires was a joke.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    People should be more worried if it was an expansion game packs have more detail even though Vampires was a joke.

I don’t find the Vampire pack to be a joke at all, or, as someone claimed above, that their powers are cheats and that the bulk of the pack is animations. The animations are nice and smooth indeed. However, what I see in this pack (full disclosure: it’s one of my favourites) is a complex skill and power points plan, with around 25 powers available, drawn directly from the folklore and literature about Vampires.

It’s well executed and balanced because the of the vampiric weakness limiting the powers of even a Master Vampire. Best of all, it is a challenging life state to play, in part because you cannot play out the lifestate and progression in just one play session.: it takes multiple sessions to make real progress. The gameplay can even feel very dark at times when you get a bunch of conscienceless vampires with insatiable thirst feeding at will. (Example: a Vampire club once invaded a nightclub where I was playing with a couple. They proceeded to drink deeply of all the patrons, who first collapsed and then quickly left after waking up again. It emptied out my club within half an hour and was really quite dramatic to witness). I should add that Vampiric powers and behaviours are greatly enhanced by the club system.

The Vampiric power bar adds another constraint on Sim vampires, as does thirst, and it can be challenging to play a good vampire who wants to resist biting innocent Sims (in part because the plasma packs and fruits aren’t very satisfying). If you don’t use mods their constant thirst and guilt, along with the constant problem of low energy, is difficult to navigate, especially during the day. At one point I had them feeding on the repairman, maid and gardener — after which they were miserable for hours. It all felt very organic and appropriate to vampires. I love the detail too: Sims who are bitten have teeth marks in their necks.

In addition to (for me) the satisfying gameplay, the pack came with an incredibly deep Build Buy catalogue, and excellent levels of customization possible due to a fantastic CAS catalogue.

Frankly if Realm of Magic does only half as well in all of these areas, it will still be a great pack, and I fully expect it to surpass Vampires in every way.

• Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I hope they make it with a similar format as Vampires.

I can understand why they wouldn't wanna make it an expansion. Not all the simmers are interested in occult gameplay. They try to make the expansions be the kind of packs that would appeal to the majority of players because they are the ones making most money and I think most players are into the more realistic type of gameplay (from what I've seen) so it wouldn't make sense for them to put much resources into making a magic themed expansion pack.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

I don’t find the Vampire pack to be a joke at all, or, as someone claimed above, that their powers are cheats and that the bulk of the pack is animations. The animations are nice and smooth indeed. However, what I see in this pack (full disclosure: it’s one of my favourites) is a complex skill and power points plan, with around 25 powers available, drawn directly from the folklore and literature about Vampires.

It’s well executed and balanced because the of the vampiric weakness limiting the powers of even a Master Vampire. Best of all, it is a challenging life state to play, in part because you cannot play out the lifestate and progression in just one play session.: it takes multiple sessions to make real progress. The gameplay can even feel very dark at times when you get a bunch of conscienceless vampires with insatiable thirst feeding at will. (Example: a Vampire club once invaded a nightclub where I was playing with a couple. They proceeded to drink deeply of all the patrons, who first collapsed and then quickly left after waking up again. It emptied out my club within half an hour and was really quite dramatic to witness). I should add that Vampiric powers and behaviours are greatly enhanced by the club system.

The Vampiric power bar adds another constraint on Sim vampires, as does thirst, and it can be challenging to play a good vampire who wants to resist biting innocent Sims (in part because the plasma packs and fruits aren’t very satisfying). If you don’t use mods their constant thirst and guilt, along with the constant problem of low energy, is difficult to navigate, especially during the day. At one point I had them feeding on the repairman, maid and gardener — after which they were miserable for hours. It all felt very organic and appropriate to vampires. I love the detail too: Sims who are bitten have teeth marks in their necks.

In addition to (for me) the satisfying gameplay, the pack came with an incredibly deep Build Buy catalogue, and excellent levels of customization possible due to a fantastic CAS catalogue.

Frankly if Realm of Magic does only half as well in all of these areas, it will still be a great pack, and I fully expect it to surpass Vampires in every way.

Very well said, I totally agree! (Except maybe RoM surpassing Vampires because Vampires is my favorite and I'm totally biased. :p)

Vampires is one of the very few packs that gave us some darker gameplay and didn't feel like it catered to a younger age group. I'm hoping that RoM gives us a little more of that darkness, that there's a lot more to reveal in the magic and curses (since we haven't even seen what the spells are yet) and that the trailer was purposely trying to catch the Harry Potter crowd by keeping it a little more neutral.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    @LiELF Cade beats the crud out of a guy, you can set anything on fire, you got a skull for a pet, The entire realm is very gothic... I don't think RoM being too fluffy is going to be an issue.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @LiELF Cade beats the crud out of a guy, you can set anything on fire, you got a skull for a pet, The entire realm is very gothic... I don't think RoM being too fluffy is going to be an issue.

Honestly, I don't either, I would be surprised if they didn't cover it, but I also take their trailers lightly because they do tend to overanimate and "machinima" them up, which can mislead. For example, they've shown Sims expressing fear in a few trailers, yet it doesn't exist in the game as an emotion or system so there is actually no official mechanic for it, save for special rare circumstances like things setting on fire.

But I'm not worried about it, I'm looking forward to learning more.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Yeah, I'm not worried at all. Game packs are actually focused on a specific thing; making that specific thing really good in exchange. Vampires is a good example.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Not worried in the least. The gamepacks have all been good (and have gotten better even). I think the whole purpose of a gamepack has been to flesh out a theme.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Pretty much joining the choir, but definitely not worried. It looks like they are going deliciously in depth from everything I’ve heard/read, to the extent that unless the magic system is just not-fun for some reason I see it beating out Vampires in terms of scope.

Of course game packs have never disappointed me- wait. Dine Out. But that is mostly because the glitches I experienced. But everything else has been aces and in some cases worth more than the 20 bucks (or less- thank you sales and bundles!) for me.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't think It's the fact that it's a Game Pack is what will cause it to be lacking.

Here me out, I feel like Its the concept of the pack itself.
    I'm sensing there is a lot of content. However just not the right kind of content. What I mean is, I feel they pushed, or went a little too heavy on certain content, and didn't provide enough of the another content that might or should have gotten a little more attention. That's where I think the potential trouble might be and why it might feel lacking.

And this is just me trying to understand why I'm being so hostile to the pack I've been waiting for...

Personally I don't think the Realm of Magic needed to exist... as it is... I would have been happy with Glimmerbrook as the Realm of Magic itself. I do like the Portal I just don't like what's on the other side of the portal, I like the idea of the floating world in the middle of Oblivion. but It's not really necessary. I appreciate the effort and time, but... but why? I think Glimmerbrook has a Nice enchanting charming feel to it, like Windenburg did.

This is just me I would scrap The realm of Magic and instead of an additional world replace it with more spells. 40 spells and 20 Potions and Curses, instead of 24. It sounds terrible, shouldn't have to compromise, but Personally I think spells should take priority over a world, let alone an additional world. And Initially I had raised eyebrows when "The realm Of Magic" Was announced... because You imagine a world of magic. but that's just it, the world became the Primary and Magic became Secondary. Name the pack "Spellcasters" and then you make the Life State the Priority, which might be slightly better. but now I'm judging the pack without playing it.

But Even though they claim, 24 spells, and Several potions and curses is more than they have ever done. It doesn't sound like enough. the other thing is Spell casters. Okay we changed the name Awesome! But where is the diversity to back it up? we Have Practical Magic, Untamed, Mischief, and Alchemy. But what about enchanting? is that practical? we can Summon Familiars, I see that... and that's cool. Prophecy? Is elemental, Light and Dark Magic under Untamed? or did you haul away Dark Magic and stuffed it under Mischievous Magic? if so then why is Alchemy it's own Subject?

I always think when it comes to the concept of Magic, Magic animations and a great supply of magic should be the prime focus... in all areas. Magic animations looks amazing didn't doubt it wouldn't. Could have dialed it back on the flashing lights and glitter... maybe some smoke screens could have been added but hey... It looks amazing.

Again these are my expectations, but at the same time, it's the same amount of content moved around.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    For me, the Game Packs have been the best packs. If this was an Expansion Pack, I might be a little worried as those seem to be hit or miss. The vampire game pack is one of my favs. I just hope that spellcasters follow a similar theme like vampires with a tree to choose different powers. TS4 is a very "happy" game, so my only concern is if the spellcasters are like mermaids.
  • Options
    For me, the Game Packs have been the best packs. If this was an Expansion Pack, I might be a little worried as those seem to be hit or miss. The vampire game pack is one of my favs. I just hope that spellcasters follow a similar theme like vampires with a tree to choose different powers. TS4 is a very "happy" game, so my only concern is if the spellcasters are like mermaids.

@MasonGamer

It's basically the mechanics for Vampire Life State used for a diff Occult. Also the 'skill tree' the LS comes with are not the 24 spells. So we get 'abilities' and passives as a Caster and then can use a spellbook (ala Sims 2 Apartment Life) to track all our Potions and Spells. Also Curses seem to be an 'advanced' form of Weaknesses. As you can have 3 of em but can dispel them. Ains (the cool looking 'leader' looking lady in trailer) is studying her book and Newt(guy who trailer focuses don't know his official name) is shown reading one in DLC's cover.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I couldn’t be happier at the moment. At long last we will have a magical world, one that feels like all the MMO-worlds I have been running around in. Personally I am overjoyed!!

I have spent so much time in MMO-worlds that I was really missing that otherworldly feeling. I love this new place. The Sims is a good game for me but it was very very normal.

Occult Game Packs makes me happy. They satisfy my MMO-itch in a way.
  • Options
    I couldn’t be happier at the moment. At long last we will have a magical world, one that feels like all the MMO-worlds I have been running around in. Personally I am overjoyed!!

I have spent so much time in MMO-worlds that I was really missing that otherworldly feeling. I love this new place. The Sims is a good game for me but it was very very normal.

Occult Game Packs makes me happy. They satisfy my MMO-itch in a way.

This pack strikes me as more detailed then Vampires it feels like Casters can do more than just have powers to abuse people with (and a teleport ability)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »

@MasonGamer

It's basically the mechanics for Vampire Life State used for a diff Occult. Also the 'skill tree' the LS comes with are not the 24 spells. So we get 'abilities' and passives as a Caster and then can use a spellbook (ala Sims 2 Apartment Life) to track all our Potions and Spells. Also Curses seem to be an 'advanced' form of Weaknesses. As you can have 3 of em but can dispel them. Ains (the cool looking 'leader' looking lady in trailer) is studying her book and Newt(guy who trailer focuses don't know his official name) is shown reading one in DLC's cover.

Hopefully, I'm understanding this right, because that does being some comfort.

Okay, so there are the 24 spells, and then we have tiers of Abilities & Passives we can unlock... so maybe that's were all that power is?
    You unlock the power to Enchant, Transform, Summon, Prophecy, as abilities? That could work.

But curses as an 'advanced' form Weaknesses? Or are theses not to be confused with Curses found in Alchemy?

Oh I get it "All Magic and Power comes with a price...dearie!" The whole: "Every three abilities you take you have take a Curse" sort of a thing?
    but I guess that'll be interesting.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    @MasonGamer As I understood it from various tweets by the gurus who worked on Realm of Magic the skill tree isn't the spells and potions we get that's a separate system. Curses I know nothing about but the fact we can get rid of em. They said Curses can be caused by failing magic.