Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living Fallout

Hello Simmers wow not been on forums since Supernatural was released. So I was wondering what's the issue with Island? It seems most simmers have no love for it and I guess mermaids are lacking. I only have GF, CnD, Vampires, GTW and JA, so I don't have IL and thus have no concept of people's opinions. But through mosying about Sims Community via FB Discord and now here (again) I see that it's really not well liked. Is Mermaids not being cool enough only reason?
Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players

Comments

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Eh I don’t actually dislike it although it’s not my favorite pack I do get enjoyment out of it. My issue (and I think others as well) is there isn’t much to do in the pack. It’s like swim in the ocean, pick up trash and be a mermaid and that’s really it. There isn’t any large gameplay element added which was why this was the first pack I was a bit disappointed in. No in my opinion it was not a bad pack. But I wish there was more of it.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Eh I don’t actually dislike it although it’s not my favorite pack I do get enjoyment out of it. My issue (and I think others as well) is there isn’t much to do in the pack. It’s like swim in the ocean, pick up trash and be a mermaid and that’s really it. There isn’t any large gameplay element added which was why this was the first pack I was a bit disappointed in. No in my opinion it was not a bad pack. But I wish there was more of it.

I thought there was a new profession? (what ig tags 'playable' jobs)
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I regret purchasing it even though I got it for $10 off. It looks cool at first sure but tbh I much rather use the items in other worlds. I don’t like the water meeting with the land and all that. The volcano is literally useless.

I didn’t even bother to complete the environmental career or clean up the island. It never appealed to me to do. Not interested in the mermaids either.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well, the world is beautiful and mermaids, while incredibly lacking and limited, are lovely and fun to play around with. With that said, a lot of the appeal is surface level only, with some simmers (myself included) feeling like there was a critical lack of new gameplay elements actually introduced in this pack. Cleaning the island isn't quite as interactive as I or perhaps others had hoped, with the progression being very simple and linear. The new careers (conservationist and lifeguard) are neat, but nothing groundbreaking. For me, the best part were all the CAS editions, which are all wonderful, but not quite enough to elevate an otherwise shallow (heh) pack.

Overall, I get the impression that far more work went into polishing this pack and making everything look good, than actually adding in things for your sims to do.

I bundled it and don't regret my purchase, but I do find the pack as a whole pretty underwhelming.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Akl500P wrote: »

I thought there was a new profession? (what ig tags 'playable' jobs)

Conservationist.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I love the mermaids!
    TBH they were the only reason I was interested in IL in the first place and since it is not a "Mermaid EP" I am fine with them the way they are and I would still want to own the pack, it's not completely bad, just not worth 40 bucks imho.
    The gameplay just falls flat, you run out of new things to do pretty quick and most of all there is no going underwater with your sims, only rabbithole diving...
    I'd just advice anyone to buy it on sale pref. 50% off.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The problem with it is that it's all visuals and animations with no depth. It's an expansion pack designed all around a world, when The Sims 4 should be all about the Sims themselves, as we were told would be the case with this generation of The Sims.

There just isn't enough gameplay in this pack to justify $40. You can already find it half off on certain websites, but I still can't bring myself to buy it at that price even, due to the fact it's very poor quality.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I personally love Island Living, there may be a few glitches here and there and the locals may be a tad too friendly somedays, but I still have not collected all of the pictures or shells or anything yet. I still have to see a shark! There are lots of fun things that I find to do and have lately ended up moving all my sims there, even if they were living in another world and not just newly created. I love the 2 new jobs, I have one married couple that each one has one of the new ones. I love my mermaid, she has been lots of fun. I see lots of sim townies from other neighborhoods/worlds myself everytime I am playing at the Island. I still find it difficult to make my sims leave to go to other places now, but that may change when ROM comes out.

I bought it early and own all the packs, I just like having all the options I can want so I can make so many different things. I tend to stick to older style decor and homes, and once Island Living came out it helped me change that some, and now with the Moschino I am actually doing some modern, which is not in my style ever at all. I really like the kava parties and how the sims show up with food for you and are just so friendly, they do tend to stay a long time and will not hesitate to hop into your bed to sleep tho lol.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member
    Hello Simmers wow not been on forums since Supernatural was released. So I was wondering what's the issue with Island? It seems most simmers have no love for it and I guess mermaids are lacking. I only have GF, CnD, Vampires, GTW and JA, so I don't have IL and thus have no concept of people's opinions. But through mosying about Sims Community via FB Discord and now here (again) I see that it's really not well liked. Is Mermaids not being cool enough only reason?

I'm one of the Simmers who love Island Living and Sulani.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I don't own it and not really wikied it so just seeing everyone get mad at it was curious bout the actual issues
    I don't own it and not really wikied it so just seeing everyone get mad at it was curious bout the actual issues

LGR Explains this pack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gzq2nZjHUY&t=167s
    I love this pack especially for the following reasons

Sims can swim in the ocean

The Interactive Waterfall

The World

Boats and Sunbathing

Yes the pack is missing hotels aka resorts and more pool items with the exception of floaties but it's still a fun pack to me. There are some bugs that need fixing.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,941 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think most complaints are because there isn't underwater gameplay, some things are rabbit hole and you only have open water in Sulani
    and then some for not including surfing, group boating, hula, hammocks or hotels or boathouses or whatever previous games had
    and some for the gameplay not being as deep as it could be (not having volcano rituals or whatever)
    and then some just not liking the pack because they didn't find it fun (in which case idk why ppl get it)

personally like it better than some of the other eps though (gtw looking at you)
    and even if i feel it could deal with some additions i still get lot of use out of it so for me it was needed

mostly just miss open water in other places, underwater, hula, group activities and hammocks myself
    never fond of the whole ''tourists at beach and rich sims on boathouses'' aesthetics so happy to not have those
    and I feel only mistake on mermaids is not being able to go underwater if anything

in short could be better but most part its okay pack for what it is
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I think the pack is very nice! I'm fine with Mermaids as they are. I wasn't someone who absolutely needed them, rather they were more a very pleasant surprise. Plus, for being a feature of a pack where Mermaids are a part but not the focus, I think they're very nicely fleshed out. The island itself is absolutely stunning. The build/buy mode additions are great, and I love the new CAS items as well. That all makes the pack absolutely worth it for me. It's just enjoyable to wander the world, and to build. I like the new NPCs a lot as well.

I haven't delved too much into the conservationist career yet, but I love the patched in part time jobs and the new part time jobs and odd jobs system that come with the Island Living. It's a great setting for off-the-grid, which I love, and that shipwreck is great.

My only real disappointment is that being a lifeguard is not a playable career. But you still get to use some lifeguard interactions as you progress, and that's something.

But really, The world is beautiful. Build items and CAS are beautiful. Mermaids are a lot of fun and very well designed! Also, you can do interesting things like have a mermaid coping with living in the city and summoning rainstorms (if you have seasons) to fulfill hydration needs, and putting the shipwreck in a desert for maximum confusion/storytelling purposes.

I could use with a more potentially lethal volcano since its effect is basically an optional lot trait anyway, but it looks so good and I love it anyway.

All in all, I think it's a great pack! It's up to you to decide if it's for you are not, but I think it's lovely.
    a63ftuN.png
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    It's really beautiful and represents a colorful and unique culture which is always a breath of fresh air considering how many US-setting worlds we have. Mermaids could be better, and the disappointment is understandable with those who love occults. The career is pretty plain and repetetive just like many others. It feels very much like a good vacation world GP, so frustration lies with the fact it is an EP and costs an EP price IMO.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think a lot of the complaints (some very valid, some maybe not so much) stem from expectations that people had for the pack. From what I gathered from the response, the EP has things that people didn't expect (like the conservationist career or the rarely mentioned island ghosts/entities/whatever they are) and doesn't have things that people did expect (underwater gameplay, ability to vacation on the world).

It feels to me like the pack's direction (Living, so focused on the aesthetics of the world and some world-specific gameplay like suntanning and such) was not a good decision on the team's part with this particular pack. They clearly thought it was but the people who are disappointed with it also have a point (not always articulated nicely, but them's the internet rules these days, unfortunately).

That said, it's still beautiful, looks fun & while I don't have it yet, it's on my wishlist.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Because the squeaky wheels make more noise. I love the conservationist career and focus on conservation. The career is much more fun if you have your Sim 'work from home' - the assignments have a lot more variety than the 'homework' required of Sims who 'go to work'. I wasn't thrilled when they announced the pack - I can't think of anything more boring than watching my Sims sunbathe - but I've been pleasantly surprised by all the things to do with this pack, and I would definitely consider it to be a 'must have'.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    Most people were disappointed that it lacked depth (no pun intended) and did not feel like an expansion pack. The trailers made it look like you could do more on the island when in fact, you can do very little and most of the stuff you can do are rabbit holes. Deep diving, lifeguard, the hidden cave, and many of the small jobs.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm a person who relaxes when she sees her sims swimming in the ocean. I really liked that in TS2 Bon Voyage, so I had wished for a pack like this. The beach activities are fun, the island spirits are spooky and mermaids cool. I still haven't had time to try the careers or elementals, but I'm getting there.

There could have been more depth (I wish mermaids could actually kill sims, the volcano doesn't seem to do much and there could be more surprises or things to explore, instead of rabbit holes and moodlet events, but I would like TS4 in general have more interactable surroundings). Anyway, aside of that I really really like the pack and rather spend my time playing it than talking about it :)

I'm still over the moon that I won the pack in a giveaway, because I really wanted it and otherwise I would have had to wait for a sale.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    You have quite a few packs. What are your opinions on the packs you own? Apply it to IL.... research what it offers to you and your gameplay and decide if you might like it. A large amounts of complaints about IL on the forums and even other places come from people that don't like this iteration in general or the path that's been taken with it... and that's okay, but it might not apply to you. If you haven't been here until recently take what everyone says with a grain of salt and make up your own mind.

Me, I love the pack... and love my game. Is it tailored made for me ... no. Nothing is. I'm really glad it isn't a vacation world and that my sim can live or visit there. I'm really glad it didn't have resorts (I don't personally think they would function well). I enjoy the mermaids, the water activities, the dolphins, building sandcastles, the build/buy, the gorgeous world, the island spirits lot trait and the people of Sulani (the culture).. as well as the premades and their backstories. Still haven't played with some of it like the elementals or the volcano stuff.. but I'll get around to it eventually.
    egTcBMc.png
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I love Island Living! Sulani is beautiful and so different from the other worlds. I love the mermaids and their dolphin friends, watching my toddler sims play in the ocean, my sims swimming in the ocean etc. I will admit I was disappointed that there was no underwater gameplay or a beach vacation option, which was what I really wanted. I'm hoping hotel venues at least will be in a future pack so all worlds can become holiday destinations. I still really enjoy visiting Sulani with my sims though.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I’ve quite enjoyed island living. It isn’t my favorite pack but I’ve easily gotten my forty bucks worth and my game is better off having Sulani as part of it.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited August 2019

I like it. We got mermaids that can do more then in sims 3; but weren't the main focus still (they were never meant to be live vampires where they were the sole focus of the the game; just a nice little touch), the world feels more open with sims being able to swimming, have a new way to catch fish, jet skis, kava parties and welcome bandwagon brings you a bowl of kava which feels like a nice touch that is part of their culture and do beach activities such as build sandcastles, dig for seashells, play with dolphins, scuba dive, explore caves, watch sea turtles hatch when it is time, can clean up the beach to help improve how the world looks, etc...the whole world is beautiful and relaxing.

I think people keep comparing it to something that it is not. It's not Sims 3 and to avoid similar problems that Sims 3 had, it makes them a bit limited in some areas (can't see underwater but can still can see life in the ocean swimming around); but doesn't mean the game has a whole was bad. Also people are mad that University hasn't came yet.

I guess I am wrong person to ask as I am the opposite of most on here (like occult sims and don't want too much realism). I hoped it opened up all the oceans; but they still say it isn't ruled out and for awhile now you can wade in certain oceans and lakes in the world where you can fish, so that is a positive sign of swimming and all that being a possibility.

Also I am glad it is not a vacation world and was worried about that. It is an expansion, I want a world some of my sims can live in. Sims can still visit the beach for the day (they already visit bars, nightclubs, etc...so it isn't impossible to visit even if your sim doesn't live there). If people want rental homes, I think a better option is for the Sims team to fix that rental lot option to make it work in any world. The best compromise really for everyone without taking away a livable world. Not all of us live in big cities and all that, something people forget. To me, cities like San Myshuno is foreign and like a vacation to me.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    It's a beautiful world, and personally I'm content with being able to live there... although it would have been nice if hotels had been introduced as an option, so that sims could live there OR visit.

I'm content that I bought it, but I definitely feel that I could have loved it more, for many of the reasons people have mentioned above.