Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a house or get one off the gallery?

Comments

• RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Build a home
    well...since I am on console I can't use the gallery, but I'd rather build myself anyway.
    I love building too much and I like everything to be "mine" >:)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited August 2019
    Build a home
    happyopi wrote: »
    I don't trust most sim players sense of scale, everything is too big.

This.
    its very hard to find the perfect size house on gallery that functions so I rather just build one myself
    its faster and i get exact size rooms I need without having to rearrange for hours

especially since I really love making my houses very small
    (which is big problem with big lots because nothing makes sense so idk what to do with them)

though I have gotten very attached to my rearranged Straud mansion
    so I feel that maybe I should stop bulldozing the premade houses and just try rearranging them first
    it can lead to some very interesting floor plans that my ''function and easy layouts first'' brain would not even think of making
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Get a house off the gallery for simplicity
    I enjoy live mode and CAS a lot more than build mode.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Both. I need many houses for my rotational play and sometimes I can find a nice one in the gallery, other times I decide to build.
  • zokliozoklio Posts: 40 Member
    Get a house from the gallery and then renovate them to my liking :D
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I’m not the best builder and I usually want something that looks a certain way that I can’t achieve building myself. Also I like lots of clutter. I don’t mind redecorating but I spend most of my time in cas so I usually want something my sims can move straight into and start living their lives.
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    depends on what I need for my gameplay and if I'm able to build it myself. Sometimes I'm too lazy cause building takes forever for me, then I just download from the gallery. Usually redecorate it.
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    Build a home
    It's easier to edit a lot that comes with the games, and then once your used to tools you can try to build homes from scratch.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    That gallery has saved my game countless times, lol. I just don't have the patience to hone my build skills because I already take way too much time creating Sims. Plus, there are so, so many incredibly talented builders out there who are kind enough to share their creations and are way beyond my capabilities so that I'm always deeply impressed with what they come up with. I really don't care for the builds that come with the game because most of them are too modern for me or a little bland and generic (which I believe is by design) and it's easy enough to plop a different build down and give my towns a makeover.
    #Team Occult
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    edited August 2019
    Build a home
    I like to build my own. I really really rarely use anything from the Gallery. If I do it's for the 64x64 lots which I almost never have any idea how to fill properly. Nor do I have the energy to build such big venues and for residential lots they are way too big for my taste (take ages to walk from place A to B ).

Besides I enjoy building and when I build myself I get what I want/need for my sims. Especially the interior design is important: I want it to really feel like a home for the sim(s) living there and reflect their interests and personalities.

I wish I would be better on the exterior design and facades and roofs though. I 've been hoping I'd find a good tutorial on that, but I never seem to have the time or patience for actually taking the time to start looking lol. But so far I think I've managed to deliver well enough at least for my own needs.

As mentioned by others in this thread already the Gallery is messy and I find it difficult to find what I need (for example not able to use more than one hashtag in a search is a nuisance) and also I don't want any lots with MOO. Many of the Gallery lots seem also to be too big/too expensive for my taste. Still, as mentioned above about the 64x64s, I'm happy to have the option to download lots if in need.

origin ID: adduapina
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited August 2019
    I use the premade homes often.... or get one of the gallery. I do build my own sometimes ... but it's rare.

I wish there was a tag for nomoo builds that still allowed me to search for the theme I want. That's my biggest beef is digging through all the lots that are too cluttered and often unplayable after downloading them.
    egTcBMc.png
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2019
    Build a home
    I don't build often since I'm so fussy it takes me a ridiculously long time to complete anything and I'm just too lazy. I must admit though that when I do build something entirely myself that it gives me a nice feeling of satisfaction, so I do prefer it. I mostly use my own and Maxis builds in my main save. However, in other saves, I usually go to the gallery first, find something close to what I want and then edit it to suit my household.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'm not a builder so it's always the gallery for me.
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I do both actually. I have quite a few lots I've done. But I've also used lots downloaded. Most of my non-residential lots are from Lilsimsie's build. I can't do them justice.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Build a home
    I'm very particular about how I want something to look. Doing it myself, I can get every detail the way it works for me. Houses on the Gallery often don't make sense on the inside.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    Build a home
    Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. Depends on the mood I'm in and how much time I want to spend on a build. Sometimes, I will scour through the Gallery looking for something that will work. Most of the time, I build or grab an older build I have in My Library. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    edited August 2019
    Get one from the gallery. Support your local Builder! (ha ha, I'm a builder)**
    **always download original, do not re-upload to the gallery.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I do both. In previous versions, I would only build my own or use the Maxis premades. In this one? I play with this integrated rotation of characters. It is pretty cool because most of the townies are of my own making or I've edited them at some point, so I'll generally recognize the townies who are walking around at any given time.

I work with the Maxis lots, I've built certain houses and lately I've seen the value of downloading. I built my own cinema with my own features but I've done things like download an ice rink, library or park to add some variety. I'm pretty picky and I look for lots that might be a unique building style that I want to incorporate. I might edit some of those lots further to suit my sims. I did build my own cemetary which is a tiny park where my sims go to mourn when one passes.

I like building but sometimes I want fresh ideas from a well-made lot that I can adapt for my sims. I tend not to spend a lot of time doing extra decorating before I get into gameplay, so I appreciate that someone else took the time to add architectural features. I might appreciate a layout that I haven't thought of. It just depends on what I need the lot for and what exactly I want to do.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I am such an incredibly rotten builder I could never produce anything as awesome as our dedicated builders for all sims series iterations-)
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Build a home
    Build. Right now it’s half the fun I have with the game. The other half is CAS.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    All of the above. Sometimes I build my own, sometimes I play with the ones that came preinstalled, sometimes I download ones from the gallery, and sometimes I use a preinstalled/downloaded one but remodel it extensively.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Thank God for the Gallery! I haven't built anything in game. Everything is downloaded and then I renovate if necessary.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Build a home
    I think if you are thinking of specific types of houses and aren't super picky/perfectionist about them, then you can place them from gallery. I do this for neighborhood houses. However, for my main sim family's house I built it. It's a large victorian and took 2 weeks to make to my liking but there's a sense of achievement you get from having your own house. :)
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    It's funny. I used to LOVE building houses/lots in all of the previous games. But, for some reason, I just can't get into it now. Don't know why, I just seem to enjoy the creativity of other simmers more than my own.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/