Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island living rentals

I just got island living and love that we can build and live in the town but I really wanted to send sims there as a vacation spot too. Is it possible to place a rental there and send sims there on vacation? Or would I have to find a workaround with a generic lot or something like that?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    There are not any rentals in Sultani. One thing I did was I added a Spa (I think that it what the lot is labeled as), with it also included sleeping quarters, small kitchen, and bath.
  • SamlishSamlish Posts: 232 Member
    If you're not opposed to using mods, there is Zerbu's world type changes mod that allows you to change a world to make it a vacation spot. (or vice-versa.) You can change Sulani from a residential world to a vacation world with this. You also need the venue changes mod for this to work.

Links: https://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/173398784785/the-sims-4-mods-world-type-changes-destination
    https://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/160347810775/the-sims-4-mod-venue-changes
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Thanks I’ll probably just make some type of venue that looks like a resort on the beach and just label it as beach or bar or something. I’m not opposed to mods per pay but I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t play often enough to deal with always have to reinstall them and what not after each patch.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Use the lot type 'national park'. That seems to mostly discourage townies from walking into the house and stealing your food or stomping your toddler's dollhouse. I suspect that if you label it as a bar, you're going to have half the island in the house.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    @hmae - I think you can make a rental - go to build mode and select rental as the property type. Doesn't that work?
  • Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    @hmae - I think you can make a rental - go to build mode and select rental as the property type. Doesn't that work?

No it doesn't. It only works in worlds that are designated as vacation worlds. So if you were to use that mod and change Sulani to a vacation world, you could make actual rentals. However, you would not be able to use it as a regular world with Sims just living there.
    Use the lot type 'national park'. That seems to mostly discourage townies from walking into the house and stealing your food or stomping your toddler's dollhouse. I suspect that if you label it as a bar, you're going to have half the island in the house.

Good idea. I was thinking if they’re staying at a hotel/resort they’re would be other sims there, however I don’t want it to be totally over populated. A national park will probably work perfectly.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »

Good idea. I was thinking if they’re staying at a hotel/resort they’re would be other sims there, however I don’t want it to be totally over populated. A national park will probably work perfectly.

It might be too private for your purposes. I designated the volcano house as a 'generic' lot and didn't get too much disturbance. Occasionally, a Sim would walk in, drink a glass of water, read a book and sleep in my Sim's bed. When I did this on a more populated island, it was a disaster - I ended up with a house party, and there was no way to get them out. Maybe if you used the 'bar' designation, and put the requisite bar in a separate building from your living quarters, you might get people hanging around the bar, but not so much in the house? (I suspect they'd be in the house eventually, even if you added a separate toilet for the bar.)

I don't have any experience with creating venues or Sim-owned businesses, so I'm not sure if you can lock off some areas for private use?
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    i wish there was so it could be a vacation spot
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited August 2019
    You can use the tents and items from Outdoor Retreat to stay on a beach there for as long as you want. Put enough for the family in your Sim's inventory if you want to take them with you.

I also added my beach Spa, made from the Maxis rooms nearby and built in a bedroom with kitchen and bar outside and my Sims can have a luxurious stay there all wants supplied, swimming, boats and sunbeds extra!
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I also wish we could have hotels on Sulani. It's not likely we'll get a tropical vacation world so soon after Island living. Hotels on Sulani would be the next best thing.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    The Island Living counters are coming in the next patch.
  • DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,761 Member
    Can you just make one lot a rental instead of the whole neighbourhood?
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    @DeadFishy see comment from @Rhiannon1307 - apparently one vacation lot in a non-vacation world does not work.
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Could you make it a retail business and never open. That way other Sims wouldn't come there. Also could you use the peaceful lot trait I think it is called to deter other Sims?
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    Could you make it a retail business and never open. That way other Sims wouldn't come there. Also could you use the peaceful lot trait I think it is called to deter other Sims?

It's definitely a workaround for players like myself that don't use mods. I had to go this route with one of my families because I wanted them to have a "vacation" home in Sulani.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Okay well hopefully that will work. I am thinking of doing that also so I can use one of the lots for a vacation spot.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I would make generic lot as no one visits them, then have my household stay there as long as I want.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Glimmer50 wrote: »

Have been doing this to create vacation homes or second homes all over the different worlds! So long as you're not opposed to using money cheats to be able to afford retail lots then it works really well.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    You can use the tents and items from Outdoor Retreat to stay on a beach there for as long as you want. Put enough for the family in your Sim's inventory if you want to take them with you.

I also added my beach Spa, made from the Maxis rooms nearby and built in a bedroom with kitchen and bar outside and my Sims can have a luxurious stay there all wants supplied, swimming, boats and sunbeds extra!

My sims had a tent on the beach and 2 other sims joined them.
    Gorgeoious wrote: »
    I also wish we could have hotels on Sulani. It's not likely we'll get a tropical vacation world so soon after Island living. Hotels on Sulani would be the next best thing.

Hotels though could come in a gamepack.
    Wolfium wrote: »
    I would make generic lot as no one visits them, then have my household stay there as long as I want.

Generic lots dont keep sims from entering your house in Sulani. It didnt in my case.
    Generic no longer keeps other sims at bay. I’ve tried this on the island and in the city for a photo studio I tried to place. It gets so many sims. They must have tweaked sims showing up at public venues cause tons of sims show up everywhere now. I think I’ll try setting it as a retail lot and see how that works.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Can you try putting up the private lot trait on it? I hadn't noticed problems with my generic lot there but I didn't put it in town. I put it near the volcano. It could be the friendly nature of Sulani inhabitants messing with things...
    egTcBMc.png
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    How odd, I have cinema with movie hangout stuff as generic lot in Newcrest and never anyone appears there, except my sims. It doesn't have any traits.