Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farming Expansion Pack Ideas

2...Next

Comments

• AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    Ah I love all of these ideas! I definitely want a country style farm expansion pack. With cows, sheeps, chickens, and alpacas and llamas! To have grocery stores and farmers market, make butter, cheese, preserves, and also turn wool to knitting wool and make unique sweaters, hats, mittens, and fuzzy socks! Also would love a sewing skill too to make plushies and alpaca plushies, also little cow, sheep, and chicken plushies, as well as some other style of clothing, decor, etc with sewing skill. And we would need wheat and corn to grow! Also pumpkins! And cucumbers, oh and berries for preserves. And overhauled cooking system to incorporate all ingredients (I'd prefer to make some stuff uncookable unless you have ingredients which can be either grown for great quality or store bought in grocery store!) I need a grocery store! Ah. Those things are huge part of our lives, and it's fun to find yummy foods everywhere. I'm so excited for this. I made a family already for it and even got some cats/dogs turned into farm like animals (on gallery downloaded cow, rabbit, pig, goat they look somewhat silly but so cute). I also love idea of having cooking competitions and/or growing competitions like Harvest Moon games style! Just so so many ideas out there. And I feel like it's definitely coming because we are missing a country music station. I personally don't like country IRL but in game it's so fun to escape reality and be whatever I feel like for few hours and this sounds fantastic. I hope the world would have a country/old European village feel to them, my grandma in Russia had such a nice little farm far from cities and by a river. It was cozy and great, I want to recreate this experience and have my sim visit grandma on the farm and eat jam on bread, care for animals, hug alpacas, help in the garden (oh yes also need cabbages), and relax in the woods and by the river
  • simmietimesimmietime Posts: 103 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    simmietime wrote: »
    Personally id be pointless if we could keep cows and chickens but not eat them.
    Plenty of farmers keep cows and chickens for purposes other than eating them.
    Have you never heard of dairy farms, and egg farms?

No need to be so sarcastic. Of course I have heard of egg/dairy farms. I mean FOR ME personally in the game, Id want to be able to kill animals for meat.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Personally id be pointless if we could keep cows and chickens but not eat them.
    Plenty of farmers keep cows and chickens for purposes other than eating them.
    Have you never heard of dairy farms, and egg farms?

No need to be so sarcastic. Of course I have heard of egg/dairy farms. I mean FOR ME personally in the game, Id want to be able to kill animals for meat.

I wasn't being sarcastic. There are people out there who do not think of these things. I thought you might be one of them.

Quite seriously, there are people who think that milk comes from a factory, that it is made, not realising that it is natural produce.
    Heck, there are people who think that chocolate milk comes from brown cows!
    Not everyone has had the privilege of the education I received.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm going to have to be skeptical on this one since lots in The Sims 4 are absurdly small for actual farmland. I'd say at least a minimum of 80x80 for a single small farm and at most 150 x 150 or even 200x200 if one would like to push the boundaries of some of the epic farmlands that exist today.

What most people seem to fail to realize is that farming is not gardening. Placing a bunch of plants around the backyard doesn't equal to farming. That won't be able to feed SimNation. This is why opening up a fresh produce store is incredibly difficult in The Sims 4 because they don't allow you to bulk farm in ways modern machines can harvest for us to feed countries.

They will need to implement proper shelving, baskets, refrigerators, and other tools to create a proper farmer's market that can fit in various crops, meats, milk, etc. (Please don't give us the ball pit fiasco textures :( ) On top of that, The Sims Studio will need to do a complete overhaul of the inventory system. It is ridiculously difficult to manage a Sim's inventory in this iteration. You can't properly split items without placing them in the world, there is no "highlight number" feature when purchasing bulk items - instead we have to continuously press the right button to increase how much we would like to buy and we can't even have a look at the entire stacked item on which one has better quality.

It is even more strange that even with gardening and the so-called "improvements" from the Seasons EP, we still are unable to compost leftover food, leaves or dead plants.

This farming feature needs to be a part of a full-on expansion pack with a world dedicated to farming, farmlands, and farmhouses. Larger lots than before and please for the love of God more lots within a neighborhood!

CAS & BB Ideas:

- Raggedy fashion. I need holes in my clothes and torn up stuff!
    - Weathered furniture and a country-style theme. No more of this sleek, square, boring modern look.
    - A variety of overalls. I have no idea why adult-type bodies don't have overalls...
    - Various farming hats.
    - A larger selection of outdoor boots.
    - More braids, ponies, updos, pigtails, etc.

Core features:

- A Sim with several patches of dirt all over their body after farming for x amount of time.
    - Livestock (Cattle, buffalo, sheep, lamb, pig, rabbit) ~ Milk, meat and hides.
    - Poultry (Turkey, Chicken, Duck, Goose, Pigeon, and Pheasant) ~ Egg, meat and feather.
    - Llamas because it is the mascot for The Sims. When will I be able to ride a Llama and cause havoc around the neighborhood? :(
    - Last but not least... horses. Domesticated and wild. PS: Horses are also considered livestock.
    - New aspirations and traits related to farming.
    - Freelance and careers related to farming. Maybe we can give children and teens to have after-school activities or part-time jobs related to farming.

Well. That's all I have... for now.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    @Hestia very impressive ideas and insights!
    y'all got bread?
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    @TheIntrovertSimmer I work closely with farmers and have scientist friends with PhDs who work in this field to ensure that humanity is fed the best throughout these years to come. :) It would be so disappointing if they make a farmer EP so shallow!

Thank a farmer every day for getting their butts out during odd hours just to feed a race that complains a lot. <3:p
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • affleck11affleck11 Posts: 33 Member
    i would mainly enjoy tractors, horses, more off the grid stuff, and finally, what should have been in cats & dogs, cows, chicken, pigs, etc.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Hopefully we'll get a new farming world that's set in the northern or midwest USA(think of Missouri,Vermont,etc). New venues could be county fairs and farmers' markets,(ones we can build anywhere in the world)and we could grow things such as corn and grains.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    I'm going to have to be skeptical on this one since lots in The Sims 4 are absurdly small for actual farmland. I'd say at least a minimum of 80x80 for a single small farm and at most 150 x 150 or even 200x200 if one would like to push the boundaries of some of the epic farmlands that exist today.
    They won't make lots that big. You're more likely to end up with rabbithole fieldwork.
    What most people seem to fail to realize is that farming is not gardening. Placing a bunch of plants around the backyard doesn't equal to farming.
    That's the thing I keep being frustrated by.
    What most people seem to want is known as hobby farming here in Australia. It's very a very tiny small scale dabble for the most part.

This is why opening up a fresh produce store is incredibly difficult in The Sims 4 because they don't allow you to bulk farm in ways modern machines can harvest for us to feed countries.
    Small scale production should be possible in game. One large veggie garden should be able to produce enough food for a small corner shop, that caters up to 100 sims.
    The Sims Studio will need to do a complete overhaul of the inventory system. It is ridiculously difficult to manage a Sim's inventory in this iteration.
    Inventories certainly need an upgrade.
    Additionally, when a sim has 10-12 of any one type of produce it should automatically appear in a small crate.

It is even more strange that even with gardening and the so-called "improvements" from the Seasons EP, we still are unable to compost leftover food, leaves or dead plants.
    Given the massive global movement towards such things, it is so weird that composting of food scraps and garden waste is not in the game.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I don't think they will make huge lots as they will be laggy for many people. I hope they give us the opportunity to purchase more lots as fields where we can grow crops or keep livestock in the same way we can buy businesses today.