Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the Grid & Getting Bills

I have started an off the grid sim, and she received some bills in the mail for $108... I thought off the grid sims are not supposed to get bills?

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think they are, it just lowers them considerably.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,185 Member
    Before the update I received no bills. After the update bills came again.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    To be realistic even if you live "off the grid" Im sure you still have to pay "taxes" on the land. I totally get what you're saying though.
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    Alright well that’s a bummer. Every dollar counts when being off the grid and starting with $0...
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I've been playing an off grid household, and they haven't received any bills. Thought they weren't supposed to?
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I've been playing an off grid household, and they haven't received any bills. Thought they weren't supposed to?

I thought so too, it took a few days but she had to pay bills!
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Well, if you don't pay they cut off electricity. But you don't need it anyway :)
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Seriously. What are they going to do if you don't pay?

Anyone who's tried this, let me know!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
    edited August 2019
    Morkovka wrote: »
    Well, if you don't pay they cut off electricity. But you don't need it anyway :)

Lol for real, that's just silly that they get bills then! I'd feel guilty if I didn't pay though... I imagine something like a repo man coming and taking my sim's stuff though like sims 2. I don't think there is anything like that in sims 4 though?
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    There is no more repo man. That used to be my main motivation for paying my Sims' bills, even for rich Sims. When the repo man came, he'd take something really weird, like the upstairs toilet or the only bed in the house!

On topic though, I've seen some people say they didn't get bills and some people say they did, so I wonder why. Maybe it has to do with what packs you use, or maybe the people with bills have objects on their lots that aren't off-the-grid and that triggers it?
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
    I have base game, cats & dogs, and Island Living. All my sim has so far on her lot is a bed, trash bin, an easel, and an "off the grid" toilet.
  • affleck11affleck11 Posts: 33 Member
    i have not ever received bills while off the grid. my sim has lived her whole life off the grid and not 1 dollar in bills
    edited August 2019
    affleck11 wrote: »
    i have not ever received bills while off the grid. my sim has lived her whole life off the grid and not 1 dollar in bills

Interesting! Have you played them since the update? I made my sim after the update and wonder if that effected it.
  • DominoDouble7DominoDouble7 Posts: 3 New Member
    The lot has the off the grid trait, correct?
    The lot has the off the grid trait, correct?

Yes it does

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    I have to say I love the idea of living off-the-grid. In reality, it's really, really hard. My poor Sim gets wash-tub arms just trying to keep her small family in clean clothes. Not only that, but it rains entirely too much in my game and stuff rarely gets dry in a timely manner. Since this save is 'set' in the 18th century, I have made it a good will effort to stay true to the times. But, I have made a choice, that when they move again (and they moved about every three years) I will reflect his growing success by giving them a real washer and dryer in their outlying washhouse. Then, once they move to the Settlements (the Original Wild West), gone will be the niceties, shortly thereafter. Candles were very hard to come by, for instance. No matter if you could pay for them, or not.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    There is no more repo man. That used to be my main motivation for paying my Sims' bills, even for rich Sims. When the repo man came, he'd take something really weird, like the upstairs toilet or the only bed in the house!

On topic though, I've seen some people say they didn't get bills and some people say they did, so I wonder why. Maybe it has to do with what packs you use, or maybe the people with bills have objects on their lots that aren't off-the-grid and that triggers it?

Ah, yes, but in this game, truer to RL, if you don't pay those Utilities Bills within 48 hours they start by cutting off your lights, then your water. Only had that ever happen to me once in RL. There is nothing worse than standing in the shower, your very long hair FULL of shampoo, and suddenly the water cuts off. :open_mouth: Seems there was a bit of a snafu and they made good on it. But, I was irate.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NeenzNeenz Posts: 44 Member
    I’m playing off the grid in Brindleton Bay. My couple are living in the cabin tent on their lot, with a fire pit,grill, cooler and shower, and a bush toilet. I’m going to have to build them a cabin before winter or they won’t survive. I’m experimenting with what I can use as o go along, but I’m loving it so far!
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Just encountered this myself. Is there a way around or is it a bug?
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2020
    Justin wrote: »

Off the Grid, gets bills now, just not the water and Elec part you also get a discount of about 20% off the lot and inventory value.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I have started an off the grid sim, and she received some bills in the mail for $108... I thought off the grid sims are not supposed to get bills?

You don't pay utility bills, but you still pay lot taxes. If you click the 'bills info' (or something like that) on your mailbox, there's the breakdown.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited December 2020
    Plainevil wrote: »

Off the Grid, gets bills now, just not the water and Elec part you also get a discount of about 20% off the lot and inventory value.

Really? That sucks honestly. I was using it for my homeless challenge /: thanks for letting me know
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    Plainevil wrote: »

Really? That sucks honestly. I was using it for my homeless challenge /: thanks for letting me know

But, a homeless sim will probably not have much of a lot value? Would be strange if a sim living in a huge off the grid castle should not pay any bills at all, even if living primitively. I'm all for a small charge. Anyone hating it can easily cheat enough money to cover those bills. But I thought a challenge was part of the fun?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Lot taxes are based on the value of the lot, plus anything in the house or in your inventories including the sims personal ones. On an off the grid 50x50 house worth $34k with sims pockets kept mostly empty, my bills are around $650. This seems reasonable to me. I'm playing a legacy challenge that is very strict with money and I added extra restrictions on myself, so paying the bills is actually a challenge. Much more enjoyable than breezing through every game session.
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    I have to say I love the idea of living off-the-grid. In reality, it's really, really hard. My poor Sim gets wash-tub arms just trying to keep her small family in clean clothes. Not only that, but it rains entirely too much in my game and stuff rarely gets dry in a timely manner. Since this save is 'set' in the 18th century, I have made it a good will effort to stay true to the times. But, I have made a choice, that when they move again (and they moved about every three years) I will reflect his growing success by giving them a real washer and dryer in their outlying washhouse. Then, once they move to the Settlements (the Original Wild West), gone will be the niceties, shortly thereafter. Candles were very hard to come by, for instance. No matter if you could pay for them, or not.

As far as your rain problem, IRL I live in a very very rainy place. Clotheslines where I live have rainroofs over them. Maybe you could try building a room, putting a roof over it, and then delete the room and put wooden pillars to "hold up the roof" and put the clothesline under that. and see if your sims clothes dry in a timely fashion. It would be a realistic thing, and would be in keeping of your 18th century theme.

And now for the OP, try clicking on the mailbox and chose the "show bills information" option. It will show you what it is that your sims are paying for.