Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 chess table problem

With my TS4 dead thanks to the June patch am giving TS3 a third go. So far it's a mix of cool stuff, being reminded of why I keep going back to TS2, and seeing some roots of TS4. One of the problems I'm having is the chess table. I placed the table first, then the chairs. Unlike with TS2, the chairs did not scoot to the table once I went into live mode. When I tried to get sim to play chess, was told I needed a chair. Am not amused. The other threads on this are ancient and did not help, so starting this one. Any and all help will be most welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    Some chair/table combinations just don't work. The way to tell while you are still in Build/Buy Mode is to try to move the table around after having placed the chairs. If the chairs move with the table, then they are locked in and can be used to play chess (or dominoes). If not, then they can't be used as placed and need to be "re-scooted" or some different chairs need to be tried.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Thank you! Any way to tell from the list or simply trial and error? I tried moving the chairs, but got only the red and error message.
    edited August 2019
    Trial and error really. But it's the same thing with dining room chairs and dining tables...and office chairs and desks. If they aren't going to lock into each other in Build/Buy, then sims cannot sit at one and use the surface of the other at the same time. I mean, they can still sit in chairs like that and read a book or eat from a plate they hold in their hand, but the surface and things that might be on it like a computer become unavailable to them.

Not sure what you meant by error message, maybe that was when back in live mode when the chess command wasn't being accepted?

And then of course there needs to be enough space around the chairs for them to slide out and back in again. But that's a different issue and tends to cause foot stomping (looks like route failure) if things are too tight around the game table.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Not just the chess table... not good. Must have been made by TS4 folks on their apprenticeship, that being the sort of thing one expects in TS4, not earlier versions. Thanks for the heads up. Not gotten to dining room yet.

Was the 'can't intersect' one (however it's phrased), though the can't play due to needing a chair counts as well.

Space not the issue, learned that lesson long ago. Will head off to try your suggestions.
    edited August 2019
    Actually, I don't see this as a problem. Not the combos that don't work, I mean the scooting mechanism. The player might not want two objects to lock together just because they are somewhat near each other. In TS3, the locking ("scooting") does happen in Build/Buy if you place the chairs in just the right spot and give them a little shove towards the intended surface. But not on top of the intended surface.

Perhaps you are trying to use the wrong category of chairs here? Easy (typical living room) chairs won't work with chess tables, at least I don't think any of them do. Dining chairs may be less comfortable in many cases, but those should work.

I really don't like interfaces that guess what I am trying to do (and sometimes get it all wrong). Maybe I wanted that chair to actually face the other way or be off to an angle, for example, or just not really be associated with the table near it for some reason. But...maybe that's just me. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Not left yet, and was using dining chairs.
    Your advice worked very well, thank you! As you said, had to experiment, but have gotten both chess and dining table working. This is beginning to remind me of TS4, lots of nice features not had before but in many ways a step back from TS2. At least it runs, which is more than I can say for my TS4. Thanks again.
    edited August 2019
    Your advice worked very well, thank you! As you said, had to experiment, but have gotten both chess and dining table working. This is beginning to remind me of TS4, lots of nice features not had before but in many ways a step back from TS2. At least it runs, which is more than I can say for my TS4. Thanks again.
    You're welcome. By the way, in case you have Showtime or acquire it and a taste for dominoes later on, this would probably be a good place for me admit all the trouble I had getting domino tables to work on a few of my lots. Plenty of space, if fact I even built a basement the size of several football fields while trying to find out what the issue was. It's not that the chairs I was using wouldn't scoot, it's that the sims refused to honor my commands to sit down and play. Chess they had no problems with and dominoes worked in other locations.

After more time than I felt proud to be spending on this, I finally realized that chess tables can be used in basements but domino tables cannot. Who knew someone at EA thought playing dominoes underground would be inappropriate or something. Freakin' game...it was funny in the end I guess when I finally realized what the two or three lots had in common, basement game rooms, but we do need to have a sense of humor when approaching such things. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thanks for the tip! I do have Showtime on disk and an older machine that has my full TS3 installation. My current try is on a brand new PC the TS3 on which is downloaded from Origin, and doesn't have all the goodies. Who would think that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 was a good idea? Maybe it's a clue to some of the non-working TS4 stuff.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    You're welcome. By the way, in case you have Showtime or acquire it and a taste for dominoes later on, this would probably be a good place for me admit all the trouble I had getting domino tables to work on a few of my lots. Plenty of space, if fact I even built a basement the size of several football fields while trying to find out what the issue was. It's not that the chairs I was using wouldn't scoot, it's that the sims refused to honor my commands to sit down and play. Chess they had no problems with and dominoes worked in other locations.

After more time than I felt proud to be spending on this, I finally realized that chess tables can be used in basements but domino tables cannot. Who knew someone at EA thought playing dominoes underground would be inappropriate or something. Freakin' game...it was funny in the end I guess when I finally realized what the two or three lots had in common, basement game rooms, but we do need to have a sense of humor when approaching such things. :)

My sims have always been able to play domino on all the levels of the house, from the deepest basement to the highest attic. :)
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    My sims have always been able to play domino on all the levels of the house, from the deepest basement to the highest attic. :)
    That's great. So it remains a mystery as to why my sims cannot. If I recall correctly, I did rerun this test on different worlds but I don't remember if I did so without mods or with only a minimal set in play. In the meantime, I ended up re-designing those couple of lots so that the game rooms or at least the table games were upstairs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    That's great. So it remains a mystery as to why my sims cannot. If I recall correctly, I did rerun this test on different worlds but I don't remember if I did so without mods or with only a minimal set in play. In the meantime, I ended up re-designing those couple of lots so that the game rooms or at least the table games were upstairs.
    Yes, it's great when things work the way they're supposed to. They don't always do that, as we all know, especially not when it comes to computer games. But in this case, with the domino table, I guess it works fine for most people since I've never seen or heard anyone else with the same, or similar, complaint about it as you.

Are you going to resume troubleshooting it, or have you given up on it by now?

Anyway, at least we can be sure that it's not EA:s fault this time. I admit I don't always understand their decisions regarding game design, but if they had deliberately made it so this table only worked above ground level, that would have been really strange, even for them.
    edited August 2019
    @SuzyCue72 - I hadn't any plans to revisit this issue because when I reported it at NRaas a couple of years ago no one came forward to say that they were not experiencing the same thing. And my sims were fine with playing games on the ground floor, it was only me who was annoyed after having designed their basement game rooms. But I certainly can revisit now, when I have the chance.

I wasn't being serious about EA having arranged this restriction on purpose, but I did think it must have been an oversight of some kind or something that got broken with one of the later patches.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @SuzyCue72 - I hadn't any plans to revisit this issue because when I reported it at NRaas a couple of years ago no one came forward to say that they were not experiencing the same thing. And my sims were fine with playing games on the ground floor, it was only me who was annoyed after having designed their basement game rooms. But I certainly can revisit now, when I have the chance.

I wasn't being serious about EA having arranged this restriction on purpose, but I did think it must have been an oversight of some kind or something that got broken with one of the later patches.

Fortunately there was no oversight, and nothing broken :). See picture below for proof.

9e3yZCV.jpg
  • JaniceMac78JaniceMac78 Posts: 1 New Member
    I know this has nothing to do with your post but I'm new and I cant post my own thread yet

when im in cas (i haven't checked if it dose it in game yet)
    like on one of the eyes you can see the eye slightly and
    the other one i completely gone. Ive tried putting cc eyes on but
    it dosent change a thing hope you can help :)
    @JaniceMac78 - Indeed that doesn't sound like it's on-topic for this thread. We have one set up for those with New Member status who cannot yet start their own threads over here, if you would like to repost on that one.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest

A screenshot saved to a third party host and a link provided might help, it's fine to use a broken up link again because of New Member status, such as "h.t.t.p.s." as long as we can read/follow it. This issue sounds unusual.

Can we confirm though that you are playing TS3 and not TS4 or another iteration of the game?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!