Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problems with keeping Business when moving out/marrying

I have a mom and daughter who have a business. The mom is about to marry a single dad and move into his house. Her daughter (young adult) was supposed to keep their house, but the shop her mom owned should go to her mom.
I already knew that a business stays with the household. So I tried moving both mom and daughter in, but the business then went vacant. However, I could not buy it again fully furnished, only empty. I spent a lot of time on the furnishings, so that's not an option I'd like.

Any idea what I can do to keep the shop as it is and either re-purchase it or some other way work around the issue? This is really annoying.

Comments

• Options
    Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    Okay, I did find a workaround.
    I had the daughter go to the shop, sell it (now having much too much money), and the mom buy it again. This is so stupid. But at least everything is as it should be now.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Before you do anything else be sure and upload it to your library furnished. So if anything goes wrong you have it to place again. But, I figure you will lose all the perks the mother has earned.
  • Options
    Ugh, yeah, I hadn't thought about the perks. Good thing I'm not opposed to cheating. I did work for them, but this time I'm just going to cheat them back ;-) And yeah, next time I will do what you suggested.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Rhiannon1307 Sorry to hear that you lost your business but it looks like you found a work around. Losing retail shops, restaurants, vet clinics etc all due to moving has been an issue in this game for a long time & such a bummer.

Through trial and error I learned that if I evict my family and move them to a new house they'll definitely lose the business. Or if I move them via manage households to someone's house, I'll lose the business. The only thing that I have found that works is always moving the family via the phone, 'Move Households'. This always keeps the business's you own intact and you dont' lose progress. Sometimes I've had to get tricky especially if it was another Sim I want to move my Sim's household in with and have that Sim move into my household first (either via 'Ask to Move In' or moving in from Manage Households) & then move everyone out via the Move Households on the phone. But in my experience it's always moving by the phone that has worked for me.
  • Options
    @Sha2520032003 What a bother, lol. And even then, I would have had to manage the funds of the daughter to enable her to buy her childhood home back. Ugh.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Rhiannon1307 - That's when I use the freerealestate cheat to move the daughter back into the childhood home. But yes I feel you....it's such a hassle. But I've found it pretty useful as I hate losing progress on any of my Sims stores or restaurants.