Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville selling better than Island Living & Get Famous, surprised?

Just checked Origin’s most popular games, and Strangerville is the #1 selling Sims game at the moment, doing better than Get Famous (which was released 2 months or so before), and Island Living which was just released.

It’s also doing better than the Base Game but 7 million people just downloaded it so I imagine it would be a while before it gets popular again for sales.

Does this surprise you guys?

Are you surprised a Linear story pack is doing so well?

Do you think Maxis will make more of these packs now?

Comments

• sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I only got TS4 at the end of last year and have 2 EPs for it so far. I have a little 'order' of which packs I want to get and in which order I want to get them, as in - the ones I want the most are at the top. And Strangerville is pretty high up. I love all the quirky, abnormal aspects about the Sims. It's not even the story that has caught my attention (although it may be fun to complete it). But I'm looking forward to the features, a more unique world and the military career.
    There are loads of other simmers out there who enjoy playing occults and enjoy having more unusual things in their game. I like a mix of reality and sci-fi. I'm glad to hear the pack is doing well!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well, the fact that it's "doing better" than the base game kind of explains why it might also be "doing better" than GF.

As for IL, that's easily explained by the period of availability, cost differences, and sales (which haven't affect IL yet to my knowledge)

So no, I'm not surprised it's currently the most popular. I don't see this as evidence that the pack is doing particularly well compared to others though. That said, this isn't something I study or pay attention to. I wouldn't know whether or not a similar trend existed with other game packs in the past.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Yes, considering it's a waste of a pack.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    This was the one I purchased immediately once they had that summer sale. And I would have bought even sooner now that I have seen how amazing it is. CAS is great, Build/Buy has so much fun stuff that I keep stumbling on fun bits and pieces as I build. Military career is a good addition and I LOVE LOVE the world so much. It might be my new favorite.

The mystery was a ton of fun for me because i had a Sim who was a retired scientist that would have been in the military if I had it back when she was a YA. She was the perfect person to fight the Mother and she rocked it out. Then married one of the military guys who she got info from 😃

I found the pack a breath of fresh air with the different gameplay. I do see it as something I can do again in other saves with different Sims taking different angles for defeating the Mother (or not 😉).
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    It's funny you mentioned 7 million have downloaded SV, I guess that's the 7 million New they got with the free download of the base game. (they mentioned in converance call) I guess those players like linear play more than sandbox.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited August 2019
    As a game pack, It's twenty dollars less.
    The cheapest pack wins?
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    IL hasn't even been out for a whole month yet, and IIRC some higher-ups have been talking about how well it sold despite such a short time. How are these sales calculated, anyway? Does Origin only account for what sold well within the last few months or so? Because if then, of course the newest packs would be selling well.

Other than that, if SV really is selling well, I'm not that surprised. The """"story"""" is total garbage, but it has excellent BB items, gave Sims 4 the much-requested laptops, includes an appealing (if small) neighborhood, brings back one of the most popular careers, and offers something other than the ocean of SoL packs we've been getting, while also giving people options to ignore those spooky elements. Story aside, it's a really well-done pack.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It doesn't surprise me at all although it's definitely not my favourite. I prefer Island Living to Strangerville and Get Famous but that's because I really like Sulani and the premade families that came with it.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    More than GF doesn't surprise me at all... 90% of the features in it are just annoying... The rest is a bug fest... just now I was searching to disable the annoying wave 5 star celebrities do all time. I enjoy having the possessed around, and so far I had a Sim I wanted to bring to solve the mystery in every save.
    SiliClone wrote: »
    The rest is a bug fest... just now I was searching to disable the annoying wave 5 star celebrities do all time.

Is that the annoying thing they do when they bounce up and down trying to get other sims excited?
  • ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    I believe it, the strangerville pack is amazing. I’ve only played like 1/2 of the story because I switched from console to PC during that. But yeah, gameplay wise it’s my favorite pack.

I do really like island living pack. But after 2-3 days of playing it, I lost some interest. The game play gets verrrry repetitive after a bit of time.
    I feel like Get Famous could be a really great pack, but celebrities are soooo buggy. I can understand why that’d put off some players.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    The rest is a bug fest... just now I was searching to disable the annoying wave 5 star celebrities do all time.

Is that the annoying thing they do when they bounce up and down trying to get other sims excited?

Nope, that's annoying too though. It's the wave they do to paparazzi I think... It's what scam was showing in currently running autonomy at least... That's incite cheers, already disabled the autonomy for it. Fans are annoying too, that's why I got Lilith Vatore (the celebrity in question) manipulate emotions to make them all uncomfortable.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I loved the Strangerville pack for its objects and build items and the world was interesting too. The gameplay was a bit irrelevant for me but I use those items that came with it all the time now.

It's probably doing well now because of "word of mouth" type recommendations, ignoring the critics. It just takes a bit longer to take off that's all.
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    I had almost forgotten about strangerville. Been busy exploring Sulani and trying to to figure out how to live off the grid. Maybe my off the grid Sims are survivalists and chock full of conspiracy theories. I’m gonna have Sim dad go there and by one of those foil hats that look like a colander.
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    Yea now my mind is full of ideas. I was thinking about the movie Red with Bruce Willis. John malkovich’s character had an entrance to his underground bunker in the trunk of an old car. To bad we can’t have basements in on beach lots without a mod. I could have a mad scientist pretending to be a beach bum 0.0. I’m terrible with mods. I have a hard time keeping track of them and figuring out when they are broken.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Just checked Origin’s most popular games, and Strangerville is the #1 selling Sims game at the moment, doing better than Get Famous (which was released 2 months or so before), and Island Living which was just released.

It’s also doing better than the Base Game but 7 million people just downloaded it so I imagine it would be a while before it gets popular again for sales.

Does this surprise you guys?

Are you surprised a Linear story pack is doing so well?

Do you think Maxis will make more of these packs now?

I hope they do. A few of the devs have talked a bit about what some of us would like to see in another pack like this one. People sound excited on twitter anyway. I'd definitely buy more like this style. I like variety and it reminds me a lot of the first Sims game that had side stories in the eps. Making Magic had a number of good side stories.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Well, Island Living (which is a great pack, despite its rather annoying bugs) hasn't been out as long as Strangerville. As for Get Famous, it's sales have probably dropped because a new Expansion came out that drew attention away from it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Not surprised. Has a lot of very useful b/b that I regularly use and decent CAS items I use less frequently. While the story is meh, we do get the military career back and have taken advantage (Nancy Landgraab is my guinea pig). IL, while pretty, has so many forums reports of things bugged, broken, glitched, and not up to expectations that am not touching it with a 10 foot pole. Not heard of nor encountered any with SV.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Compared to Bugland Living and Get Famously Annoying, I think StrangerVille is a pretty straightforward, humorous, and simple quest zone. Good for player sanity and pockets.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019
    If this is true, it confirms Sims 4 appeals to a different kind of player than the game used to. That’s not a matter of who’s right or who is wrong, it’s preference. The fact some people rail against it doesn’t mean they assume or ‘pontificate’ that no one will or should like or dislike what they like or dislike. It means they don’t like this concept. And are expressing their opinions about what this franchise used to be in their perception and how they miss that (and yes, they do have the arguments to explain why and don’t mind giving them, if that feels pompous and dogmatic so be it). And if this kind of pack sells best, don’t worry, they’ll lose this ‘battle’ and the fans will have their ready-to-go-story packs in the future. It’s my personal opinion it will mean we will all lose in the end, because it will mean the end of this franchise the way we know it, but don’t let that worry anyone. That’s just me mourning. It will be a different game. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a fun game, but it will be different.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Sharonia wrote: »

Nope, that's annoying too though. It's the wave they do to paparazzi I think... It's what scam was showing in currently running autonomy at least... That's incite cheers, already disabled the autonomy for it. Fans are annoying too, that's why I got Lilith Vatore (the celebrity in question) manipulate emotions to make them all uncomfortable.

Ooh how did you disable autonomy for incite cheers? I hate it. :D
    Get Self configurable autonomy mod at MTS and search for "incite cheers", it should come up, just uncheck it and it's gone.. sims will not be able to do it autonomously anymore.