Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ea doesn't think sims 4 would be good on the switch? but why?!

i always have wanted the sims 4 on the nintendo switch. its the console i play the most on getting the sims would be amazing as im a huge fan but ea came recently and said that the game wont fit to switch players and i was confused the sims 4 is PERFECT for the switch imo the touch screen can make the game easy to play and the portability allows me to play anywhere and i bet it would sell crazy on there! i hope ea changes their mind and puts the game on the system they have no excuse not to at this point

Comments

• petewentospetewentos Posts: 90 Member
    I'm not sure about the exact reason but perhaps it's because the Switch isn't as capable of handling a game as big as The Sims 4 on it? Especially when it isn't docked. As far as I know, the Switch isn't as powerful as the other home consoles which support The Sims 4.
    giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d44708035316c432e5b02f0&rid=giphy.gif
    i just got so emo, i fell apart.
    origin id: petewentos
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Would it perform well on switch? I mean could the switch handle it plus all the Dlc? I’m not sure it would. I’ve saw the sims 4 lag on the x box one sand PS4 Pro and those have better hardware.
    Considering the switch’s popularity, there will be a very good reason for the decision not to port to switch, perhaps notnow anyhow.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Compared to the xbox and ps4 I just don't see the switch being able to handle a direct port with various expansion packs (and those still get some lag).

Since up until now majority of sims games have just been spin offs. Think it could handle a spin off well if it was directly made for the system. Though I noticed majority of sim games always had a problem with performance on gaming systems. Back in the day the Urbz well, even NOW it still runs very poorly from freezing to lagging.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    petewentos wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the exact reason but perhaps it's because the Switch isn't as capable of handling a game as big as The Sims 4 on it? Especially when it isn't docked. As far as I know, the Switch isn't as powerful as the other home consoles which support The Sims 4.

na it can games like skyrim and witcher 3 run on it thats definitetly not the problem
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    Would it perform well on switch? I mean could the switch handle it plus all the Dlc? I’m not sure it would. I’ve saw the sims 4 lag on the x box one sand PS4 Pro and those have better hardware.
    Considering the switch’s popularity, there will be a very good reason for the decision not to port to switch, perhaps notnow anyhow.

the ps4 and xbox versions of the game are not well optimized tbh i have the ps4 edtion and i feel like if they work on it more than can make it better
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    There could be several reasons...

EA might think the market is not big enough, they have said that they think that people who own a nintendo switch often owns a ps4 or xbox as well.

EA might think that people that play on the switch would not buy a lot of dlc. The console does have limited storage space.

Or it could be that the engine they use for the sims4 would not run well on the nintendo switch.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited August 2019
    petewentos wrote: »

With proper optimization running the game shouldn’t be an issue. Sims 4 was designed for low end computers, the current console releases take advantage of the advanced graphics of the high/ultra PC game settings which would be the only thing I would guess switch can’t do. PS/XB are focused on visuals (4K, HDR, etc), with Switch you sacrifice that and some processing power for the console being portable.

I’d assume a switch version of the game would look like Sims 4 on low/medium settings, but with it’s screen resolution that wouldn’t be much of an issue. Storage would be the biggest issue as the PC game is over 30GB and growing. They could slim that down during dev of course but it would still be fairly large for the whole library of DLC.

ETA: the bottom line is a switch port would require a lot of work, not saying the current console ports didn’t but they took the entire PC game and ported it to console without changing much of anything, which would not be an option for switch.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! I went ahead and moved this thread to the console section.

Game on!
    ~EA_Joz
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Well someone (I forget who, sorry) from EA said this week that basically the switch version hasn’t come about because a lot of switch users have the x box and PS4 and I guess what they are saying is why would you play the lesser version if you have those consoles.

I’ve seen so many third party titles get ported to switch and have downgraded graphics and performance issues. I wouldn’t be bothered about The Sims in Switch (or any game) if I had a better version on a better console? (Or pc)

I think the sheer size of the game would also cause issues.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I'm not sure that a Nintendo Switch would be able to run The Sims 4, especially if you have all/most of the packs.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I am usually a PC gamer, so I understand that I already own Sims 4 via PC. That is where I think the game belongs, so it not being on Switch is of no bother. Funny that EA assumes people who own a switch also own either a PS4 or Xbox. I know many who don't. My family sold our PS4. We really never play on it, and after 6 months of it collecting dust we got rid of it. Funny thing is we played our Wii U more than the PS4. Our Wii U finally just died and we are saving up for a Switch. Guess my family only like the Nintendo consoles. We just never found games to enjoy on the other consoles.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6b7FrehyY
    Good video about the subject.