Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 Dying?

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No
    I know what dying games look like.
    This is not it.

Also, people tiring of a game they've played since 2014 is natural. But that's not a sign the game is dying.
    Neither is the fact that players disappointed with the game leaves or threatens to leave; remember the No Toddlers storm? Or the No Swimming pool outrage? Compared with those the Blue Loading Screen is nothing when it comes to player reactions.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    No
    LOL I disapprove IL and Strangerville but two disappointing DLCs does not ruin the game for me.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    Yes
    For me, it's not so much the Sims genre is dying but more that it is becoming boring.
    It seems to be getting too PC for me and I just want a game without social issues and stuff like that.
    The latest suggestions that disabilities are added will totally finish the game for me as these are just too much and are not entertainment or fun to have.
    I am 50 years of age and from a different era to most players so I find LGBT a bit too 'in your face' for my liking.
    Also, it seems that with every new Sims era come the same packs but under slightly different names. We seem to be buying the same stories every time there is a new Sims era.
    If it wants to be kept fresh then EA should release more new packs instead of rolling out the same old ones that don't even have anything different in them, just new scenery and less to do, less items etc.
    Lot's of people on these forums have suggested new ideas for packs (myself included), but we just get the same ones all the time.
    Seasons, animals, magic,island life, vampires etc.. I believe we will be getting farming and university soon so there's two more repeated packs for us.
    Why can't EA use some of the ideas from simmers who actually buy, play and care for the franchise and bring out some totally new ideas and packs, surely it can't be that hard given todays technology and that they are supposed to be top game makers.
    I'm sorry for my rant and I hope I have not offended anyone, that's not my intention but I just feel that EA are not pulling their weight with Sims and are being rather lazy with it.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Yes
    The fact that some people said yes, means yes. It’s because this people or people they know are leaving the game. As sad as it is, with Paralives coming, less and less people are caring about the sims franchise once they find out they’re just money chasers.
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    No
    I have my complaints on the game (one being I cannot play it without mods), but I do not think it is dying. If anything it simply has the Llama Flu. I have seen dying games, The Sims is too dug in to be killed off so easily.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    No
    Nah, not even close. If anything, there are people still picking up the game now and starting to play, or returning to it after a while.
    Are some people moving on? Sure. Does that mean everyone is? Not even close.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    No
    Personally, I'm of the opinion it's just ramping up. I'm loving GF and would love to love IL, but for the bugs preventing me from having fun. But, they keep adding things that do improve the game play, altogether.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    No
    Nope. If anything, it's being renewed.

Hopefully. Now that they are dropping 32 bit support, we can only hope that they add a lot of features that were being held back.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    No
    I don't think it's dying at all. I think fans are being more vocal about their displeasure (which can be a good thing if it leads to positive changes), but I don't think it's dying.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    No
    The rebranding and the "Off The Grid" lot trait got my attention, which got me back in the game.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • TildeLTildeL Posts: 188 Member
    Yes
    Yes it is.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    No
    crossed the 10 million base game units sold in 2018 and that was before it was released for free for nearly two weeks. no where near dying.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    This isn't Siege, or DoTA, or Overwatch, or World of Warcraft. It's a single-player game. Concurrent player population is meaningless.

I think concurrent player population is significant to EA now, especially with their games-as-a-service motives. I think it always has been as well, given The Sims uses the expansion pack model.

Anyway, I don't think TS4 is dying. It certainly needs improvements to be at the place it should/could be, but that's up to EA to decide whether or not this product is going to reach its potential.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    No
    mock68 wrote: »
    I am 50 years of age and from a different era to most players so I find LGBT a bit too 'in your face' for my liking.

I am 51 and have been LGBT my whole life, so don't play the age card. Inclusiveness has always been, intentionally, core to The Sims franchise. There are still plenty of game studios which pander to homophobia by pretending other kinds of people or relationships don't exist, if it's really going to make you uncomfortable.

I mean, seriously? 3 Maxis-made households in twenty years is "in your face"? They aren't even base game. There is one discreet lady couple in TS3: Roaring Heights, a pair of married men in Brindleton Bay in TS4: Cats and Dogs, and another lady couple in TS4: Island Living. as well as one - ONE - transgender Sim there as well.

Seven Sims in twenty years? That's not a lot. Especially compared to the total number of premade households over the course of the game.

If that really feels that intrusive to you, ask yourself why. If you are tempted to reply "but Maxis makes such a big deal about it!" that's because even that modest degree of representation is almost unheard of elsewhere, and freedom to play a Sim who can be that - or not - was legitimately groundbreaking at the time, and helped assure the breakaway success of the franchise.
    I'm sorry for my rant and I hope I have not offended anyone, that's not my intention.

Ultimately, what you intend matters less than what you actually accomplish.

• RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    adduapina wrote: »
    It's definitely going to a direction that makes me feel uncomfortable and a bit scared atm cos it seems that we need to wait a long time for bug fixes and the some of the newer packs (*cough* StrangerVille *cough*) make me question the direction the game is going to be developed to.
    I personally still am totally in love with the game. But concerned. But I try to keep my hopes up and wish for a better future. I really hope Sims 4 doesn't die until we get University and more realistic career options.

StrangerVille, I agree, was an odd pack and definitely not for everyone, but personally I liked it a lot. It is great to see developers put out these odd left field packs, everything strange and different is welcome in my book. Thus far it was a single odd pack and I honestly doubt they will make something similar anytime soon. Most likely we will get long anticipated fan favorite University expansion, possibly some farming related pack as well, since it is heavily requested. There will be few solid family gameplay oriented packs on the way, I am sure.

As for OPs question, no Sims 4 is not on its last legs. The game still goes solidly 5 years in, it has good number of online players daily, big community of great modders and quite impressive player base across the world. In all, Sims 4 is in a good place right now.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    No
    I don't think it is. I think it will continue to grow at least until the next generation consoles come out. Even then it may be another year or two until a next generation of the sims comes to life, if they even plan on a Sims 5.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    In terms of what?

Dying in terms of popularity? Not at all.

Dying in terms of creativity and satisfactory content? Maybe, yes.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes
    Mm not yet, ea isn't done with game as yet. They'll let us know when the game is officially coming to end/completion.
    giphy.gif

edited July 2019
    No
    The fact that some people said yes, means yes. It’s because this people or people they know are leaving the game. As sad as it is, with Paralives coming, less and less people are caring about the sims franchise once they find out they’re just money chasers.

This is an interesting twist in logic... Some people come, some people go. It's the natural flow of things in life. As for Paralifes, I doubt it would be the famed killer of The Sims franchise. It looks like a free to play game. Far too stylized, the design is good long term, as it ages better, same as Sims 4, but its too childish and mobile app like. Will Paralifes get its own player base with good 2/3 of them being simmers? Sure. Will kill The Sims? Highly unlikely.
  • CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    edited July 2019
    No

This is an interesting twist in logic... Some people come, some people go. It's the natural flow of things in life. As for Paralifes, I doubt it would be the famed killer of The Sims franchise. It looks like a free to play game. Far too stylized, the design is good long term, as it ages better, same as Sims 4, but its too childish and mobile app like. Will Paralifes get its own player base with good 2/3 of them being simmers? Sure. Will kill The Sims? Highly unlikely.

Maybe it won't outright kill the Sims, but the buzz surrounding it already would probably push EA to do better/incentivize with the Sims.

There are already many huge simmer YouTubers such as Pixelade, itsmeTroi and Plumbella promoting Paralives, which should be enough to scare EA into improving the franchise.

You also have to realize that there haven't really been any competitors that have been up to par with the Sims, but I think Paralives might shake things up a bit.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    No
    CrownSims wrote: »

Maybe it won't outright kill the Sims, but the buzz surrounding it already would probably push EA to do better/incentivize with the Sims.

There are already many huge simmer YouTubers such as Pixelade, itsmeTroi and Plumbella promoting Paralives, which should be enough to scare EA into improving the franchise.

You also have to realize that there haven't really been any competitors that have been up to par with the Sims, but I think Paralives might shake things up a bit.

I hope Paralifes does well. So that each game has competition. Competition is good for both games.
    edited July 2019
    No
    CrownSims wrote: »

The game is not even in alpha stage at this point. It is just a showcase of basic features in it. It may need another two years to get ready to launch an alpha test, and by then sims 5 will slowly roll out. Whoever is making Paralives has a very short window of opportunity at end of sims 4( because people are simply getting tired) and before news of sims 5 arrive. And people hyping it up, tend to overlook one crucial thing, sims 4 is actually a solid gaming experience unlike last Simcity was. Not to mention at this stage sims 4 simply offers more, a few neat gimmicks in build mode and an open world, simply will not do it, especially once all fan favorite packs are finally added to the game. That said, Paralives would have to cut on some of the ambitions, or it would be stuck in developing cycale for years, or adopt the Sims DLC model. Which supposedly, the developer promised not to do. So in other words, I would like to see the end product first.
  • wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    mock68 wrote: »

I actually think EA has done this really well. It is there if you want it in your game, but I certainly don't see it as "in your face". Of course, I am pretty open minded and so I applaud EA for the inclusiveness.

And I think there are actually a lot of Sims players that are 50+.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    No
    No, and still be a no.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Yes
    I think some and/or many Simmers will get tired of the things EA is doing to the Sims 4 and they will just drop the game.. Maybe find other games where the company isn't treating their consumers like poo. When that happens, EA will pull the Darkspores and Simscity dirty little trick.

If people allow them to be poo to them, then the Sims 4 will continue, but if enough people decide enough is enough and venture off to other games. Is the Sims 4 dying is totally up to how many people they can continue to use. For me.. it died a long time ago, even though I try and try to like it.