Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaid Genetics

Does anyone know if they plan on fixing the mermaid genetics?

I'm feeling really disappointed that I spent this money on a pack and mermaids are basically broken when it comes to them having children. I've basically ruined an entire generation in my legacy with this bug, and I'm really upset.

I know it's a known bug, though I don't know if EA/Maxis knows, but I hope so.
Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.
My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Wait- There's a bug? The only children my mermaid had both have the mermaid trait, but both of em are still toddlers, so... I dunno...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited July 2019
    Wait- There's a bug? The only children my mermaid had both have the mermaid trait, but both of em are still toddlers, so... I dunno...

Mermaid genetics are borked, idk about two mermaids but a human and a mermaid having a baby, the baby will not have either parent's genetics. They'll simply look like a random generated townie.

MCCC had my back on getting the genetics right (and even then I had to make a "proxy child" in cas to transfer the genetics from) but it was a pretty disappointing discovery.
  • MeadowThayerrMeadowThayerr Posts: 239 Member

Yeah, the only time mermaid genetics work is in CAS. So, my two super pale sims had a super dark baby who looks nothing like them. It's really annoying.
    My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2019
    I feel the same. I was shocked that the last patch didn’t fix it.

@nerdfashion yep there is a bug. If a baby is born in game to 2 mermaids or to a mermaid and a non-mermaid sim, it will grow up to look like neither parent. It will basically be a randomly generated townie. The genetics do work if you make their kid by playing with genetics in CAS (which just isn’t the same, though).

@GGgkkg the bug is also present if two mermaids have a baby :(
  • MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    Did you report it on EA Answers forum?
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Welp, lucky me for always making the kiddos in CAS I guess. This is a really irritating bug so I hope people who run into it report it and that it will be fixed soon.
    Did you report it on EA Answers forum?

Someone else already had, so I didn't.
  • JessikaNJessikaN Posts: 1 New Member
    My blonde, pale, green eyed sim had a baby with Nalani and the kid is ASIAN! LOL I don't know if I have to blame EA or Nalani has some valid explanation for it... hahahaha
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    This explains why my mermaid teen, daughter of Kalamainu'u and Ukupanipo, looks nothing like either of them. She does have black hair and Kalamainu'u's mermaid black eyes, but that's probably a coincidence.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Plot twist, Mermaids are all changelings.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Yeah it's a total bummer that mermaid genetics weren't fixed in the latest patch. What I did when my mermaid twin babies aged to toddlers is went straight into CAS, deleted them and did random genetics with both parents. I only hit the randomize button once for each twin, and the girls are child age now (in my avatar pic), so luckily this worked for me. But it's a crappy work-around. This bug is really messing up my 100 baby challenge as I wanted my matriarch to have a few mermaid children.
  • mrsgrizz7mrsgrizz7 Posts: 7 New Member
    My sims born to a mermaid and a non-mermaid are mermaids but don't use thier tail when they swim...disappointing
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    mrsgrizz7 wrote: »
    My sims born to a mermaid and a non-mermaid are mermaids but don't use thier tail when they swim...disappointing

The tail only shows for teens and older.
    Yeah it's a total bummer that mermaid genetics weren't fixed in the latest patch.
    They were, actually.

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Yeah it's a total bummer that mermaid genetics weren't fixed in the latest patch.
    They were, actually.

Only for consoles afaik.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Thank you for reminding me to turn my sims guy back into human for a while. I am actually having some family-play this time around so I do not want to mess up the genetics. Usually I create the kids in CAS but wanted to see what the game could do for them this time.
    edited August 2019
    They were, actually.

Only for consoles afaik.

Oh. Dang, that's really crappy then.
  • MullebebMullebeb Posts: 1 New Member
    I got the same problem. Have no CC or mods installed. Made a mermaid female and she got married to a male island element. They had 7 kids, now all adults. In CAS they all are mermaids, and they behave like mermaids except for using the tail when swimming. Also those "mermaid" sims sit outside the bathtub when bathing. Probably because of the tail glitch. Except for one, he automatically aged up and used his tail in water, while I wasn't playing him... > @mrsgrizz7 said:
    > My sims born to a mermaid and a non-mermaid are mermaids but don't use thier tail when they swim...disappointing
  • Spudders_86Spudders_86 Posts: 270 Member
    Now I know why my black mermaid couple have had two white children!!!!!!!
    Confused no longer!!!!
    Rqtv8vw.gif
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    If a mersim doesn't show its tail when swimming, and still has the hygiene need, they are missing a hidden trait. Once you add that, they will be "proper" mersims.

You probably need testingcheats on (its always on in my game because MCCC so don't remember) then with the mersim selected, enter Traits.equip_trait trait_OccultMermaid_TYAE in the cheat window. I've done this with randomly generated mersims I've moved in with my sims. Its an accepted/recommended workaround on the AHQ bugpost I believe.
  • T-Kaye77T-Kaye77 Posts: 3 New Member
    I stopped playing the mermaids because i can't stand that they don't pass on genetics. I like my Sims to be cute. Not ugly af like the townie sims are. And thats what they kept having. Townie babies. Which i just set them outside my sims house in their bassinets, and let the game take them away from me. because i didn't want them. I got so annoyed and just stopped playing the mermaids altogether. I hope they fix the genetics or i'm just not gonna play the mermaids. I like the one's i make. I hate the townies. And usually try to change them all to my liking. This really irritates me alot. I want MY mermaids to pass on their genetics. I know you can do it in cas. But i like my sims to go through the whole pregnancy, and have babies that favor them. If they ever fix this annoyance, let me know please.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    They won’t. It’s been over two months and they don’t care 🙄
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    T-Kaye77 wrote: »
    I stopped playing the mermaids because i can't stand that they don't pass on genetics. I like my Sims to be cute. Not ugly plum like the townie sims are. And thats what they kept having. Townie babies. Which i just set them outside my sims house in their bassinets, and let the game take them away from me. because i didn't want them. I got so annoyed and just stopped playing the mermaids altogether. I hope they fix the genetics or i'm just not gonna play the mermaids. I like the one's i make. I hate the townies. And usually try to change them all to my liking. This really irritates me alot. I want MY mermaids to pass on their genetics. I know you can do it in cas. But i like my sims to go through the whole pregnancy, and have babies that favor them. If they ever fix this annoyance, let me know please.
    Mermaid genetics have already been fixed in this Update: 08/08/2019 - PC 1.54.120.1020 / Mac 1.54.120.1020
    Mermaids now properly pass along their genetics to the next generation.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Is it me... or are the occult’s just not very lucky with genetics...
    wB2Zykl.jpg