Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 More Years is now a joke

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    And oh my goodness, they are talking about blue light exposure, not the color blue itself. Blue light is an energizing light that is emitted from electronics (even your TV screen) and yes, can cause headaches and even insomnia from too much exposure. But this wouldn't be from a blue loading screen, it would be from spending too much time on your PC or laptop (or smart phone, or tablet, etc.) But guess what? Blue light is also emitted from the sun. And that old question of "why is the sky blue"?... Because blue light.

Please. Stop the madness. It's just marketing, people. It's just marketing.

When we're outside exposed to the sun or looking up at the blue sky, it doesn't give us headaches right?

But on a computer screen it's a lot more concentrated. Flashing a bright blue loading screen every time your sims go to another lot would add to the strain. If they were going to waste money on changing the color and design to rebrand TS4, they should just change the color to something less straining and not so bright. TS2 and TS3 had good loading screens because the colors weren't so glaring. Why can't TS4 do that as well?

It's just maddening that they don't listen and tell us we have to accept changes we never asked for.

Blue light is not more concentrated from electronic devices. It's more powerful from the sun. If you were to look at the sun, you'd have problems, lol. But blue light does somewhat effect energy and "awakeness", which is why it is recommended that people don't use screened electronics an hour before going to bed. I guess it can actually disrupt melatonin levels. Spending excessive amounts of time at your computer or on your phone is what exposes people to too much blue light. But making the loading screen blue does no harm except be annoying and ugly. I mean, Windows has used the same blue for longer than the Sims has existed. No one was straining or fainting or grabbing their heads every time they booted their computers, lol.

I agree that the blue loading screen is obnoxious. Having it be generic Windows-blue-screen-of-death blue is almost comical in how bad that decision was. It's like people are going to wonder if their game is crashing every time they change lots, lol. I'd say that the current "unfinished white" look is still better than that blue screen.

It's just a solid block of bright blue. I think that's what makes people's eyes hurt. They need to break it up with a pattern like a plumbob or something.

I totally agree. I'm kind of baffled that they had an opportunity to actually put something on the loading screen - something that could have worked as more of a buffer while we wait to load lots, like a picture or animation or something or even a snapshot of the current Sim traveling, like Sims 2 did - but they went with the most generic option possible. I mean, not even a nice, tranquil, pastel gradient blue, or a deep indigo. Nope. PC death blue. :s

You know what would be nice? If we can put in our own screenshots for the loading screens. I would really love that feature!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    And oh my goodness, they are talking about blue light exposure, not the color blue itself. Blue light is an energizing light that is emitted from electronics (even your TV screen) and yes, can cause headaches and even insomnia from too much exposure. But this wouldn't be from a blue loading screen, it would be from spending too much time on your PC or laptop (or smart phone, or tablet, etc.) But guess what? Blue light is also emitted from the sun. And that old question of "why is the sky blue"?... Because blue light.

When we're outside exposed to the sun or looking up at the blue sky, it doesn't give us headaches right?

But on a computer screen it's a lot more concentrated. Flashing a bright blue loading screen every time your sims go to another lot would add to the strain. If they were going to waste money on changing the color and design to rebrand TS4, they should just change the color to something less straining and not so bright. TS2 and TS3 had good loading screens because the colors weren't so glaring. Why can't TS4 do that as well?

It's just maddening that they don't listen and tell us we have to accept changes we never asked for.

Blue light is not more concentrated from electronic devices. It's more powerful from the sun. If you were to look at the sun, you'd have problems, lol. But blue light does somewhat effect energy and "awakeness", which is why it is recommended that people don't use screened electronics an hour before going to bed. I guess it can actually disrupt melatonin levels. Spending excessive amounts of time at your computer or on your phone is what exposes people to too much blue light. But making the loading screen blue does no harm except be annoying and ugly. I mean, Windows has used the same blue for longer than the Sims has existed. No one was straining or fainting or grabbing their heads every time they booted their computers, lol.

I agree that the blue loading screen is obnoxious. Having it be generic Windows-blue-screen-of-death blue is almost comical in how bad that decision was. It's like people are going to wonder if their game is crashing every time they change lots, lol. I'd say that the current "unfinished white" look is still better than that blue screen.

It's just a solid block of bright blue. I think that's what makes people's eyes hurt. They need to break it up with a pattern like a plumbob or something.

I totally agree. I'm kind of baffled that they had an opportunity to actually put something on the loading screen - something that could have worked as more of a buffer while we wait to load lots, like a picture or animation or something or even a snapshot of the current Sim traveling, like Sims 2 did - but they went with the most generic option possible. I mean, not even a nice, tranquil, pastel gradient blue, or a deep indigo. Nope. PC death blue. :s

You know what would be nice? If we can put in our own screenshots for the loading screens. I would really love that feature!

Omg, that would be amazing.
    #Team Occult
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    What Maxis should add to the blue screen.

"Are you finding this screen too bright? Does it hurt your eyes? Ajust your screen and room settings or have a screen break." with reference to this page or similar!

"...............People who look at computers frequently, (in particular those that look at a computer for more than three hours a day), (2) may experience symptoms such as:
    Eye discomfort
    Headaches
    Itchy eyes
    Dry or watering eyes
    Burning sensations
    Changes in color perception
    Blurred vision
    Difficulty focussing (1, 2, 3)....................."

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Does-looking-at-a-computer-damage-your-eyes.aspx

Here's to the next few years of Sims 4! <3
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    What about allowing players to choose from different menu and load screen options themselves? Sort of like how different browsers have themes or light/dark modes. That would be awesome.

I thought the person that written thou shall not have dog houses (bettling such possessers) made it pretty clear, that's not the stories they wanna tell to the players. Seriously and partly I'm exaggerating in joking manor, but their rarely are generous to give players customization option.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    OP: That's not a joke. This is a joke! :)

'I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.'
    Spike Milligan (1918-2002)
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Who cares? As long as the game play is still the same and mods work I don't care how they rebrand it.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Morning Simmers! change can be good, i like it! i feel maxis is doing a great job :)
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    Who cares? As long as the game play is still the same and mods work I don't care how they rebrand it.

Who cares? A LOT of people care! While a lot of game companies(Mojang,Rovio,etc) rebrand using colors that go well together,EA is using ugly,jarring colors that make Sims 4 screens look like Windows 95. People want nice-looking screens that say "Let's play a great game!", not ugly screens that look like a 90s Blue Screen Of Death. EA needs to fix this embarrassing mistake,and give us screens that look nice.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2019
    Patrice wrote: »
    Morning Simmers! change can be good, i like it! i feel maxis is doing a great job :)

Well. Im not against changes. I speak against when I see bad changes. This was totally unecessary, and the worst part it is UGLY! Its freaking ugly! Maybe is not a thing for you but I care about this. Its everything... They could have just changed the base game render and would have been fine. But no... now is everything terrible ugly for me. Its the pack covers, pack icons, loading screen, logo, plumbob... everything is ugly now and none of this features go well with the rest of the game (user interface, etc...) Its a mess. For me looks amateur and poor. Looks really cheap wich is something this game is definitively not! I can't imagine how the players that still buy physical copies of expansions (yeah, they exist) will feel now! Its the ugly design all over the place... facebook, twitter, instangram, the game icon, future trailers... EVERYTHING! An ugly rebranding for a game that was a rebranding since the begining! Yes it is! Look at the old The Sims logos and The Sims 4 logo! It was already diferent why another change again? This game seems to have no identity anymore. And in my whole life I didn't remember seeing something so terrible ugly made by EA. Im sorry if you don't agree but this is a big mistake.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    this whole discussion now has me wondering how long some of you are actively looking at the loading screens....
    I mean, do many people just sit there and stare at the screen while loading?
    umm...maybe I am doing this wrong, but I always do something else during loading times like look something up on the interwebs or my phone or pet my pets or something...at least with this game since the loading time is fairly long compared to others.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Well , I don't think people will quit the game for loading screen looks. I hate it too but I wouldn't just quit the game. But really that new look is terrible :expressionless:
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    this whole discussion now has me wondering how long some of you are actively looking at the loading screens....
    umm...maybe I am doing this wrong, but I always do something else during loading times like look something up on the interwebs or my phone or pet my pets or something...at least with this game since the loading time is fairly long compared to others.

Mine is 10-12 seconds - it is usually only longer for slower machine, slow internet, or games with CC and /or mods. I have none and have a super fast machine 4.5ghz - so mine are hardly more than an eye blink. In game they are practically instant. 4-5 seconds max.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

@Writin_Reg I am on console and it's pretty long so that's why I do other stuff.

edited July 2019
    @Writin_Reg I am on console and it's pretty long so that's why I do other stuff.

Ah - did not know it was that slow. Thank you for letting me know though. Had no idea of load times on consoles.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »

Ah - did not know it was that slow. Thank you for letting me know though. Had no idea of load times on consoles.

that's okay, how could you have known, I always forget to mention it when I am posting in the pc sections.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    I must confess I always stare at my screen while waiting. Because I’m in my game when I play, I never do other things while playing. I clocked my loading screen in Sims 4 once (to do a comparison to travelling) and it took 30 seconds (on a PC that loads Sims 3 in 4 minutes). That’s with just a few EP’s and GP’s, far from all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    What Maxis should add to the blue screen.

"Are you finding this screen too bright? Does it hurt your eyes? Ajust your screen and room settings or have a screen break." with reference to this page or similar!

"...............People who look at computers frequently, (in particular those that look at a computer for more than three hours a day), (2) may experience symptoms such as:
    Eye discomfort
    Headaches
    Itchy eyes
    Dry or watering eyes
    Burning sensations
    Changes in color perception
    Blurred vision
    Difficulty focussing (1, 2, 3)....................."

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Does-looking-at-a-computer-damage-your-eyes.aspx

Here's to the next few years of Sims 4! <3

Ooooor....They could simply adjust it a little. Make it less saturated or a bit darker. Or give people an option to use the old version. So everyone is happy and without pain.
    It almost feels like people have something against options here.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    joke.jpg
    Dunno whose reaction is this.
    Well , I don't think people will quit the game for loading screen looks. I hate it too but I wouldn't just quit the game. But really that new look is terrible :expressionless:

On top of many things I dislike about TS4, this may be of putting and I'm not sure how I'll feel everytime returning to start menu or playing through loading screen. It does look off-putting at first, but we will see it.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Fully agree. Even Henry Ford realized eventually that he couldn't make the Model T indefinitely. In his case it was because Chevrolet began eating his lunch. And this mess is from the same outfit that revolutionized gaming with TS1, and then pushed the envelpe even more with TS2. Time for someone to eat EA's lunch.

EA felt like a completely different company back then. Whether it was a change in values or skill set, I don't know.

I say it all the time, but it's worth reiterating.. There is an unmatched level of quality to The Sims 2. The game just works. Queues and actions move so smoothly with zero delay, the developers were keen on implementing gameplay that was fun and had very high replay value, it felt like an actual life simulator, the creative tools were very good for the time, and so on. I really don't know what changed from then to now, but the fact The Sims 4 can't even get the basics of actions, queuing, and time functions working is a problem.

Sims 2 came out, when? 2004 - 2008.

Sims 4 cannot hold a candle to the Sims 2.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Fully agree. Even Henry Ford realized eventually that he couldn't make the Model T indefinitely. In his case it was because Chevrolet began eating his lunch. And this mess is from the same outfit that revolutionized gaming with TS1, and then pushed the envelpe even more with TS2. Time for someone to eat EA's lunch.

EA felt like a completely different company back then. Whether it was a change in values or skill set, I don't know.

I say it all the time, but it's worth reiterating.. There is an unmatched level of quality to The Sims 2. The game just works. Queues and actions move so smoothly with zero delay, the developers were keen on implementing gameplay that was fun and had very high replay value, it felt like an actual life simulator, the creative tools were very good for the time, and so on. I really don't know what changed from then to now, but the fact The Sims 4 can't even get the basics of actions, queuing, and time functions working is a problem.

Sims 2 came out, when? 2004 - 2008.

Sims 4 cannot hold a candle to the Sims 2.

Show you right and I agree!
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

I agree with you. TS2 coding was planned well and organized, ideas were also fresh and thoughtfully detailed. New packs added didn't break previous features and it just all worked so well together.

With TS4, it appears they code in a new feature separately without seeing how it will work with the game with all current packs. This is why new features/packs often break what is already in the game. And they keep doing this with new features, piling up even more bugs. I can't say anymore that it's the game engine's fault for being so weak. I really think the development of this game was extremely poorly managed now more than anything else.

I worry that it will happen again with TS5. They need to hire some TS2 and TS3 developers (that they laid off) at least as consultants for how to better organize the code and for fresh innovative ideas. I'm sorry, but the devs for TS4 don't seem to be all that good in coding (gameplay is so buggy!) or ideas (bland or lacklustre mostly).

• TartacusTartacus Posts: 73 Member
    The Sims 4 will never be a upgrade from Sims 1, 2 or 3, I said when it came out it was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸, you can re-brand it all you want but a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 will always be a 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

I don't blame the Dev's for this I blame EA, if anything my thoughts go out to the dev's who obviously have their hands tied behind their backs and are not given the funding or resources needed to do the job correctly it must be very frustrating for them. The business model that EA follow is just blows my mind it is so stupid and just plain greedy. For me they have just managed to kill every franchise I have had interest in.

I only hope that someone makes a game that does what it is supposed to like Colossal Order did with Cities: Skylines which IMO blew Simcity out of the water. New players may well except The Sims 4 for what it is, but for older players like myself who can see the watered down expansion packs and main game it will never be acceptable. I have given up on any hope of this game improving and its not like it has not had the time to do it, unless EA change their business practices I have no hope that The Sims 5 will be any different. I heard today of a single developer making something similar to The Sims and rest my hopes on that.

EA wonder why they are hated by many gamers and consumers, seriously are they that thick that they cannot work it out. If a bar waters down its drinks the customers soon realize and go to another bar.

If all the above was not enough to make someone angry the fact that this re-brand comes with virtually nothing in the way of bug fixes no matter who's job it is to fix them is just insane.
    Origin Name TART4CUS

MSjFMBP.gif

Wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a Sim packed new year. <3TART4CUS
    edited July 2019

I agree with you. TS2 coding was planned well and organized, ideas were also fresh and thoughtfully detailed. New packs added didn't break previous features and it just all worked so well together.

With TS4, it appears they code in a new feature separately without seeing how it will work with the game with all current packs. This is why new features/packs often break what is already in the game. And they keep doing this with new features, piling up even more bugs. I can't say anymore that it's the game engine's fault for being so weak. I really think the development of this game was extremely poorly managed now more than anything else.

I worry that it will happen again with TS5. They need to hire some TS2 and TS3 developers (that they laid off) at least as consultants for how to better organize the code and for fresh innovative ideas. I'm sorry, but the devs for TS4 don't seem to be all that good in coding (gameplay is so buggy!) or ideas (bland or lacklustre mostly).

Apparently you never got bit by Securom then as it not only broke the entire game it broke a lot of pcs when Bon Voyage came out. And not just our game but Securom broke Mass Effect 2 I think it was, and one of the Spore games as well. There were so many angry people that low rated these games because of it - Amazon got knocked off the net for a while even - hit by everyone zero rating these games.... How did you miss all that? We went through Hades over that fiasco for nearly 2 years... I give Sims 2 no pats on the back for that nor the fact they moved from CDs to DVDs with no warning to the players and simmers had games we could not even play even if they could work because hardly anyone had DVD players. They were expensive back in those days and new - so many did not have them. I went and spent 300 dollars on a dvd player just to get Securom break it. Went through 5 dvd player in 3 months - that was a hefty bit of change let me tell you - when I found out the Sims DRM was breaking them. So no happy platitudes goes to the Sims 2 either. Sims 4 has never broken my pc - that much I can say for it. I can play it and it causes me no issue. Well it hasn't caused me any issues yet anyway. I never say never.

If you missed all of that - I am glad as nobody deserved going through all that - believe me.

Yet here I still am and still Simming. LOL So some little color issue is not going to scare me away - but I would never want to go through that and those days again -
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    BMSO wrote: »

I don't care about the loading screen either. I didn't get the game to watch a loading screen. As long as they didn't break everything in sight, I'm good.
  • zuper_buuzuper_buu Posts: 12 New Member
    As usual EA/Maxis/Whoever ignored the public backlash to the rebrand and went ahead with it anyway.

I won't be leaving the game, but you know what I will be doing? Turning auto-update off until a mod comes out to fix the ugly abomination that is the over-saturated blue loading screen. I don't need further migraines EA, thank you very much.

I posted a formal complaint on the Twitter too, suggesting they just lower the saturation by 30-40% for those of us with sensitivity to saturated colours, or at least give us the option to do it ourselves, but guess what? They ignored me.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top