Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 more popular than ever?

12346...Next

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    You can be disagree with me, my opinion isn't Gospel Truth :) I accept different point of view. On tumblr it's ts4 I am sorry to say that . TS4 wins far away. I even know people who switch to ts4 recently they always play ts3 and they keep ts3 and continue to enjoy it. There are more at least two sims players in our community, myself I sometimes post ts2. Some are ts4 and ts3, some are ts2 ts3 and ts4 and some are ts2 ts4.
    How about what we lack in quantity we more than make up for in quality? ;)

We all see the player universe from slightly different angles. The TS3 communities at NRaas and MTS aren't going anywhere, at least not for an extremely long time, and as far as I can tell neither is the group that congregates right here on this forum. And of course we have no idea how many players frequent any of these places but choose to enjoy the discussions quietly, without contributing themselves.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Pary I think Sims 3 at one point began to suffer from this new direction they have continued with Sims 4. Sims 3's rescue (according to me obviously) was its basegame and the EP's they already had planned for it. The Sims 4 set-up, adding random animation based features (Sk8rblaze described it beautifully the other day: sims having fun instead of the player having fun) and that's it. There's a lot of that in Sims 3 as well, but at least 3 also had other things to offer that add more depth to the game. I'm playing WA at the moment. The Sims 3 approach of that EP is your sim following adventures, leading them through puzzles, the worlds, the culture and the sims living there. They build up something while doing that and it's an allround and broad experience. The Sims 4 approach would be martial arts (5 levels) with animations that would suit Bozo the clown, some interactions with treasure chests, collecting 594 different gems hurray, learning how to cook 65 new recipes (I can't taste so who cares) and that's it. If we're lucky we'd get three France/Egypt/China based neighborhoods with five lots each and that would be it. I'd be done with that in one evening, where WA still has me hooked after seven years.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Well. I dunno. The best (only?) reason I stick to Sims 3. -The ability to mod it beyond anything imagined, like fallout 3, new vegas, morrowind and skyrim. -and even further. Wonky stability? aye, but that is part of modding and in terms of sims 3, a 1/4 of the fun. The concept of Sims 3 is huuuge. Just play, or mod&play, create mods&play. tweak plus all them others and so on. Added to that, the game itself is so open. Its like playing with Lego. -or acorns, sticks and some thread... ...The latter ones, you built horses as a kid. -Those winebottle-corks? -build a fleet of ships, throw rocks at them. -Sims 3 is this. -Sims 4 is not Lego, its Duplo. Designed for young ones that would choke on small cool Lego-bits.
    Imo.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • MMitchell93MMitchell93 Posts: 108 Member
    I agree with 95% of what's been said already. I started playing the Sims 2 when I was twelve years old in 2006 (so just the last three years). At twelve, I couldn't really appreciate the game, though I did love it! I had all the expansions and stuff packs. But I was more interested in making my simself and my friends in Sims form as adults. I would use motherlode like crazy, never worked a day in my life, had age freezing on, and used Maxmotives cheats. Then, I would mostly go around town and be naughty, have ten or so boyfriends at once, and go clubbing downtown every night. I would always get so nervous when I saw Agnes Crumplebottom approaching because I knew I was about to get smacked by her purse (again!). Like I said, I loved the game at that age, but couldn't really appreciate it.

When the Sims 3 came out in 2009, I jumped on it! I was a bit older (fifteen), and so excited for it. Open worlds, better graphics, YA life stage, etc. From that first moment I started playing the Sims 3, I never gave a backward glance to the Sims 2. And I never played it again either. Since I was older, I was able to fully appreciate the game. No more motherlode for me, no more unemployed sims, I turned aging on, and never used max motives cheats unless my sims were two seconds away from the grim reaper showing up. I also ended up only creating my simself once, which was a huge improvement for me. Eventually, I owned every Sims 3 expansion and stuff pack. And when I found out about the Sims 3 store, I fell down a rabbit hole! Or rather, my parents' wallet did! Haha

Once I discovered mods (specifically NRAAS mods), I fell in love with the game even further, if possible. I had come to love family and generational play with the Sims 3 (again, probably due to my maturing age), but the Sims 3 story progression truly sucked and it made me too scared to have more than one child per generation. If I did, they would have to move out so I didn't overreach my eight Sims limit. But I could never trust them to stay in the same job, to stay true to their spouse, and to not die on me. And for a control freak like myself, that just didn't work. Enter NRAAS mods! All my Sims 3 issues were fixed! (Minus the lagging, glitching, and occasional crashing, etc. but we'll get to that in a bit) and again, I fell in love with the game ten times more than before. I was able to have larger families, have certainty about their futures upon moving them out, and NRAAS mods made the game perfect. I loved family/generational play even more.

Yes, the Sims 3 has lagged like crazy on me, glitches out to the point where resetSim doesn't work, and has given my last three computers (laptops) blue screens on more than one occasion. But that will all be fixed in a couple of weeks once I have my new Sims 3 monster computer. Yes, you heard that right. I dropped $1284 on the parts for a desktop computer specifically to keep on playing the Sims 3. Somehow, I managed to convince my s/o to build it for me from the advice given to me on these forums.

And the reason I spent so much money on this new desktop to continue playing the Sims 3 is because I've only managed to spend a total of eleven hours playing the Sims 4 since it came out three years ago. I just don't like it. I feel as if the Sims 4 went several steps back instead of improving on the game before it. No more open worlds, no family trees (this was fixed, I hear), no toddlers (though I hear they added it to the game later), flat emotionless Sims for all the hype about emotions, no real personalities, gone are the burrito babies-only to be replaced with cocoon babies relegated to their bassinets, less personality traits (only three, not five)-and the personality traits you can choose don't even seem like actual traits that contribute to a personality. And finally, while I know this next viewpoint is not shared across the board, I very much dislike the graphics! They just seem too freaking cartoony to me! The Sims 3 has much better looking graphics!

Anyway, to conclude my rant, I will be sticking with the Sims 3 for the long haul. I will never buy any Sims 4 expansions or stuff packs, because I don't even think the base game is decent. And if a Sims 5 does come out, I will patiently wait for others on this forum whose opinions I trust before rushing in to buy the game (like I unfortunately didn't do with the Sims 4).

Finis

Wait... Did that answer your original question?? I think I got sidetracked with my rant. Hahaha XD

• sof2106sof2106 Posts: 136 Member
    The Sims 4 is somewhat fun at first (yep, I admit it, I bought it) but it lacks depth, the sense that each sim is different, it lacks interesting backstories. The emotions are really flaky and have no real target in TS4. If a sim is flirty or angry, they will start flirting or fighting with any sim in the area. And don't get me started on group conversations which can turn a whole room in an emotional mess in seconds! The traits don't matter, the relationships don't matter, it's all about the emotions! Some aspects of the game are fun and I played it from time to time but now I'm once again faithful to my beloved TS3, and maybe a lot of other players are like that. Because it's been two and a half years and TS4 has no major improvements to show. It is like a former new shiny toy that has started losing its glitz and I'm now returning to my old doll that I played so many stories with and will never get old. So I guess I'm not the only one feeling like this, maybe that's why TS3 is now hotter than one or two years ago. At least compared to TS4, it's timeless.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    a%20-%20008_zpsqsjdu5yb.png

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • JackiMahJackiMah Posts: 46 Member
    Since newer and better computer are coming out which are more affordable than before The Sims 3 is easier and less laggy to run.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited May 2017
    I love that picture @BlackSand

Also, I don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but I really don't like being "told" how my sims are feeling. I was not really keen on the moodlet system for TS3 overall, but they made it much worse from what I've seen in TS4. I want to SEE how my sims feel, by the way they act and respond to things and events. I want them to scream, slap, stamp their feet, cry, hug, and kiss etc, not have some huge text next to their portrait telling me that they're "flirty" because they looked at a painting, or saw their sim kid burning to death in front of them ( that one was REALLY dumb )
    I don't want to be told. I want to see.

@JoAnne65 I agree. In the later expansions, I do think TS3 began to suffer, and they took the suffering right over to TS4 as well.
    I laughed at Bozo the clown reference :D

What could have been a marvel of a game, using the wonderful open world concepts, and perhaps the emotional and social systems from TS2 and the pretty sims from Medieval or something, instead became some plastic, mobile, shallow and shoddy game that you seem to read about rather than participate in.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited May 2017
    BlackSand wrote: »
    a%20-%20008_zpsqsjdu5yb.png

You may find the occasional bug in the hold but yeah, absolutely :D
    Pary wrote: »
    Also, I don't know if anyone already mentioned it, but I really don't like being "told" how my sims are feeling. I was not really keen on the moodlet system for TS3 overall, but they made it much worse from what I've seen in TS4. I want to SEE how my sims feel, by the way they act and respond to things and events. I want them to scream, slap, stamp their feet, cry, hug, and kiss etc, not have some huge text next to their portrait telling me that they're "flirty" because they looked at a painting, or saw their sim kid burning to death in front of them ( that one was REALLY dumb )
    I don't want to be told. I want to see.
    Exactly. One of the things I love in Sims 3 (and 2 as well by the way, though I haven't played that game much) is how I can at times interprete what my sims are feeling. Quite often that's not what the game itself is thinking (I posted some sad sims in a topic yesterday and in some pictures those sims technically weren't sad, they just felt sad to me by the way they looked) and it's exactly that why the game keeps propelling me. That constant sense of interaction between my sim's emotions and what I feel myself, the room for interpretation. For me that room is important because it underlines and supports the sandbox aspect of the game, the freedom, the creativity of my own mind and imagination. I don't need a scripted game where I'm dictated how to act and react. I want the game to give me directions for sure, but I also need space to go a different way with it if I want to. I guess that's the reason I don't mind (and even prefer) how my sims don't drag on their emotions for hours, (or, instead, switch it all the time for no obvious reason).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited May 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    You can be disagree with me, my opinion isn't Gospel Truth :) I accept different point of view. On tumblr it's ts4 I am sorry to say that . TS4 wins far away. I even know people who switch to ts4 recently they always play ts3 and they keep ts3 and continue to enjoy it. There are more at least two sims players in our community, myself I sometimes post ts2. Some are ts4 and ts3, some are ts2 ts3 and ts4 and some are ts2 ts4.
    How about what we lack in quantity we more than make up for in quality? ;)

We all see the player universe from slightly different angles. The TS3 communities at NRaas and MTS aren't going anywhere, at least not for an extremely long time, and as far as I can tell neither is the group that congregates right here on this forum. And of course we have no idea how many players frequent any of these places but choose to enjoy the discussions quietly, without contributing themselves.

@igazor True we can't quantified I do agree with that. I am rarely on mts except for the sims 2 and to download and in Nrass I bet people are mostly ts3 as the mod suggested are made for the sims 3 first. Probably creators of mod in your team works for the sims 4 as well I don't know.
    And there is many of sub-communities as well. Some are players, some are just story tellers using poses , some are this or that"players" . Me I am rather gameplayer who writes a story inspired of what I am playing.
    After yes I think the less we are the most we gain. I see all the awesome mods that are made for the sims 2 and not only sliders, and recently for the sims 3 . The people who stays always improve the game for the best because they are passionate. The people who switches all the time into the novelties without being back at oldies are "perhaps" or "seems" just to be trendy simmers. This is totally a way a style of playing because they are confortable this way. That's not an insult. I know some people who can't stand anymore old games despite all the awesomess modders bring.

Yes and "lurkers" we can guess they also see the sims game they are interested. I know I lurked around this forum for years without being registred myself , everytime to read sims 3 help. I can't thank people enough for their knowledges.

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    I agree with 95% of what's been said already. I started playing the Sims 2 when I was twelve years old in 2006 (so just the last three years). At twelve, I couldn't really appreciate the game, though I did love it! I had all the expansions and stuff packs. But I was more interested in making my simself and my friends in Sims form as adults. I would use motherlode like crazy, never worked a day in my life, had age freezing on, and used Maxmotives cheats. Then, I would mostly go around town and be naughty, have ten or so boyfriends at once, and go clubbing downtown every night. I would always get so nervous when I saw Agnes Crumplebottom approaching because I knew I was about to get smacked by her purse (again!). Like I said, I loved the game at that age, but couldn't really appreciate it.

When the Sims 3 came out in 2009, I jumped on it! I was a bit older (fifteen), and so excited for it. Open worlds, better graphics, YA life stage, etc. From that first moment I started playing the Sims 3, I never gave a backward glance to the Sims 2. And I never played it again either. Since I was older, I was able to fully appreciate the game. No more motherlode for me, no more unemployed sims, I turned aging on, and never used max motives cheats unless my sims were two seconds away from the grim reaper showing up. I also ended up only creating my simself once, which was a huge improvement for me. Eventually, I owned every Sims 3 expansion and stuff pack. And when I found out about the Sims 3 store, I fell down a rabbit hole! Or rather, my parents' wallet did! Haha

Once I discovered mods (specifically NRAAS mods), I fell in love with the game even further, if possible. I had come to love family and generational play with the Sims 3 (again, probably due to my maturing age), but the Sims 3 story progression truly plum and it made me too scared to have more than one child per generation. If I did, they would have to move out so I didn't overreach my eight Sims limit. But I could never trust them to stay in the same job, to stay true to their spouse, and to not die on me. And for a control freak like myself, that just didn't work. Enter NRAAS mods! All my Sims 3 issues were fixed! (Minus the lagging, glitching, and occasional crashing, etc. but we'll get to that in a bit) and again, I fell in love with the game ten times more than before. I was able to have larger families, have certainty about their futures upon moving them out, and NRAAS mods made the game perfect. I loved family/generational play even more.

Yes, the Sims 3 has lagged like crazy on me, glitches out to the point where resetSim doesn't work, and has given my last three computers (laptops) blue screens on more than one occasion. But that will all be fixed in a couple of weeks once I have my new Sims 3 monster computer. Yes, you heard that right. I dropped $1284 on the parts for a desktop computer specifically to keep on playing the Sims 3. Somehow, I managed to convince my s/o to build it for me from the advice given to me on these forums.

And the reason I spent so much money on this new desktop to continue playing the Sims 3 is because I've only managed to spend a total of eleven hours playing the Sims 4 since it came out three years ago. I just don't like it. I feel as if the Sims 4 went several steps back instead of improving on the game before it. No more open worlds, no family trees (this was fixed, I hear), no toddlers (though I hear they added it to the game later), flat emotionless Sims for all the hype about emotions, no real personalities, gone are the burrito babies-only to be replaced with cocoon babies relegated to their bassinets, less personality traits (only three, not five)-and the personality traits you can choose don't even seem like actual traits that contribute to a personality. And finally, while I know this next viewpoint is not shared across the board, I very much dislike the graphics! They just seem too freaking cartoony to me! The Sims 3 has much better looking graphics!

Anyway, to conclude my rant, I will be sticking with the Sims 3 for the long haul. I will never buy any Sims 4 expansions or stuff packs, because I don't even think the base game is decent. And if a Sims 5 does come out, I will patiently wait for others on this forum whose opinions I trust before rushing in to buy the game (like I unfortunately didn't do with the Sims 4).

Finis

Wait... Did that answer your original question?? I think I got sidetracked with my rant. Hahaha XD

Just keep an eye on your FPS. The new video cards just don't register the game properly for some reason. I had up to 300 FPS with a Nvidia 960m card. Recently fixed completely though, do come here if you need help when you get your new parts put in!
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I really wanted to like the Sims 4 and I did. I'm adaptable. Discovering a new way to play was really fun. The lack of open world didn't bother me in the slightest. The new CAS was excellent to me. The graphics were very nice to me, though admittedly cartoon-ish.

My problems with the game were the lack of a color wheel, the overbearing emotions ( it feels more like the emotions of a Sim directs them more than their traits ), somehow not doing a Fear emotion ( especially with Vampires and Aliens out ), three traits instead of 5, useless traits, and the Sims lacking depth.

Seriously, it's much too easy keeping them happy and the Sims themselves don't have a lot of personality flaws. Which isn't a lot of personality in general.

My biggest problem is the lack of content. Right now, there is nothing for me to do in the game. Nothing that interests me, anyway.

The Sims 3? Sure, it was annoying to run, but that game has so much depth, I changed playstyles 3 times.

Sims 4 was obviously not finished if they had to put toddlers in 2 years after the game's release. And they weren't prepared to bring a steady stream of SPs, GPs, and EPs either.
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    The TS4 trait system didn't impress me when I got my hands on the CAS demo. When I got the 14 day trial, I quickly found I didn't like the way TS4 did neighborhoods, but could deal with it. I prefer the open world of TS3 though. Really, it was the game shoving what single emotion my sim is feeling down my throat, and having the Athletic type trait cause my sim to do pushups at all times once the athletics skill got one level that bugged me the most. Talking to a romantic interest? Drop and do 20 (eight times). Just cooked a meal, drop and do 20 nine times before even considering eating. Tired? Drop and do 20. Watching TV? Drop and do 20. Got work in five seconds? Drop and do 20. Just got off work? Drop and do 20. Have to use the toilet? Drop and do 20 instead. Need a shower? Drop and do 20 instead.

It was very illusion breaking. Nobody is so much of a fitness nut that they neglect to eat, sleep, use a toilet, or shower so they can exercise instead. Let alone skip work in favor of doing pushups. Heck, my sim caused a kitchen fire because they started cooking something, then broke off to do pushups while still cooking. And seriously? Your sim can die because they were happy for too long?

The fact the game has core functionality such as toddlers as paid DLC also feels sketchy. Either the game was released too soon. Or they deliberately pulled core game mechanics out so they could sell them to the public later. Either way, poor show.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    > @Faerie197 said:
    > The TS4 trait system didn't impress me when I got my hands on the CAS demo. When I got the 14 day trial, I quickly found I didn't like the way TS4 did neighborhoods, but could deal with it. I prefer the open world of TS3 though. Really, it was the game shoving what single emotion my sim is feeling down my throat, and having the Athletic type trait cause my sim to do pushups at all times once the athletics skill got one level that bugged me the most. Talking to a romantic interest? Drop and do 20 (eight times). Just cooked a meal, drop and do 20 nine times before even considering eating. Tired? Drop and do 20. Watching TV? Drop and do 20. Got work in five seconds? Drop and do 20. Just got off work? Drop and do 20. Have to use the toilet? Drop and do 20 instead. Need a shower? Drop and do 20 instead.
    >
    > It was very illusion breaking. Nobody is so much of a fitness nut that they neglect to eat, sleep, use a toilet, or shower so they can exercise instead. Let alone skip work in favor of doing pushups. Heck, my sim caused a kitchen fire because they started cooking something, then broke off to do pushups while still cooking. And seriously? Your sim can die because they were happy for too long?
    >
    > The fact the game has core functionality such as toddlers as paid DLC also feels sketchy. Either the game was released too soon. Or they deliberately pulled core game mechanics out so they could sell them to the public later. Either way, poor show.

Toddlers was free and Happiness doesn't kill. But I see your point, nonetheless. But it's Toddlers having to be put in as a patch that's still unusual.
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    During my 14 day trial I saw my initial sim die because they exercised too much. They didn't make it through 2 days. My second one got talking with a neighbor, and spent too long feeling friendly, so keeled over while laughing. Not feeling amused or hysterical, but friendly. My 3rd sim cried them self to death while watching tv in the first day. After that, I uninstalled TS4.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    During my 14 day trial I saw my initial sim die because they exercised too much. They didn't make it through 2 days. My second one got talking with a neighbor, and spent too long feeling friendly, so keeled over while laughing. Not feeling amused or hysterical, but friendly. My 3rd sim cried them self to death while watching tv in the first day. After that, I uninstalled TS4.

@Faerie197 - I'd say this must be THE reason, if any, to stay with S3.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good to see that this thread is still going... And that TS3 is still popular! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Posts: 2 New Member
    Just stumbled on this thread and thought, hey, what the heck, necroposting is fun, right?

I recently downloaded TS4 when it was free. Installed, played around with it for quite some time. There are things about it that I like, but it's a very, very shallow experience. I'm sure that if I wanted to shell out a bunch of money for expansions, it would have more to do, but all the reviewers I trust indicate to me that while the game gets more things added, it doesn't ever really have more depth. I'm not going to invest in TS4, not after the amount of money I've thrown at EA for TS1 (complete) and TS2 (complete) and TS3 (complete) and even The Sims Medieval (original and expansion).

So I'll keep playing TS3 until EA can offer something with some depth and customization options and an open neighborhood and... basically, I want TS3 with an optimized engine, and I'll dish out the cash for all those expansions once again if the game is good.
    Undoubtedly this topic will get closed shortly, but I fear Sims 4 isn’t going to end any time soon, they just rebranded the game. Clearly making it attractive for very young players, hoping to cater new, very young buyers, which for a lot of us isn’t a good sign either. Seems to me they are changing the target group of the franchise into kids. Which of course is their good right, my only hope is a different company picking the life simulating concept up (actually someone is atm, curious where that will lead to).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited July 2019
    I hope that this thread stays open :smile:

After two years since thread had cooled out I see no major progress with TS3 apart from 'more of the same' and 'set dressing' :(

Edit: I looked and started this thread in 2014. Those were hard times and really not a lot has changed that has impressed me
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks this thread is pretty old and considering it was purposefully necroposted I'm going to close it up. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top