Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims seasons - Sims CATCHING FIRE and DYING?!

WHY, just WHY did EA make the absolute ridiculous and evil decision to make it so Sims can catch fire and DIE when out in sunlight in the Sims Seasons? One of my favourite Sims has just died, and there is no way to resurrect her! =(

I am absolutely appalled with EA for this. Sims go outside all of the time. And, because Sims can be 🐸🐸🐸🐸, they do enjoy standing around for hours on end chatting in the game. Thus, I fear that this will happen again - a Sim standing around in the sun will suddenly combust and die somewhere in the game without my knowledge. In fact, I'm scared that other Sims in my game have died now, without me knowing, because of this dreadful feature. :(

Unless someone can find me a way to make it so this can NEVER happen (because why should it? It's needlessly cruel and makes no sense - people don't catch fire just because it's hot!), I'll be forced to turn off Summer permanantly, and possibly Winter as well, as I've heard they can also freeze to death in exactly the same way. I really hope there isn't a Regardless, I'm very upset that this feature exists. I bought Seasons because it seemed like such a great addition, making the Sims universe more interesting. But this form of death in the game is by far the worst. Are there any cheats that can turn spontaneous combustion/freezing/any other form of random death off? I love the town I've made and I don't want any of my Sims dying until I feel it's necessary.

By the way, I've turned off aging and story progression, so it has nothing to do with those two features.

Comments

• Options
    EternitiesEternities Posts: 141 New Member
    Okay, so I decided to quit the game without saving in order to bring the Sim back. I lost about an hour of data, but that's okay. For now, I've decided to permanently switch off the summer and winter seasons. They are simply too dangerous. The fact that they can die just by standing around is seriously risky. I've only had this game installed for two days. Thankfully, the game still has other seasonal features, so while I've lost part of the expansion pack's gameplay, I haven't lost all of it.

I know some people love killing Sims, and I've done so several times in my mess-around saved game, but in my main game, I don't want any of them to die (though Gobias Koffi did at one point, but I didn't care about him enough to bother rescuing him).
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @Eternities I don't know about any cheats, but you might be interested in a mod called Tempest from NRaas. The mod allows you to fine tune the weather, season by season, so you could still have all the seasons but make a more mild climate without the extremes that Summer and Winter have.
    It can be found here: NRaas Tempest
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    sorry exiting without saving is a necessary part of the sims experience, unexpected deaths can happen though i must say i never had anyone spontaneously combust from sun but i did lose a family once from meteors
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    This never happened to me either. Never had a sim catch fire from sunlight or freeze to death. There is a LTR immune to heat and immune to cold. There are also traits loves the heat and loves the cold. These rewards and traits sims can stay out much longer. Was your sim a vampire.?They can die in the sun.
  • Options
    EternitiesEternities Posts: 141 New Member
    edited March 2015
    Thank you sirguylittle for suggesting this mod. I've never used a mod before and I hope it doesn't cause any issue with my game. Thus, I'll make sure I know all about exactly what it does before I install it. =)

As for the "Immune to Heat" and "Immune to Cold" rewards, I could use the testingcheatsenabled cheat to give every Sim in Sunset Valley enough points so everyone can have these, though it will take ages and be very tedious, going through every single household in the game. I have about 45 households in Sunset Valley and almost 170 playable Sims in my save file. Still, if it means neighbourhood Sims can enjoy the seasons without the risk of dying, I'll be happy to do it. So thank you to phoebebebe13 as well. =)

One last thing: As well as quitting without saving to bring that dead Sim back (for the interested, it was Vita Alto who died. Yeah, I know we're meant to hate her because she's an evil snob who spoils her daughter rotten, but she's one of my favourite Sim characters), I checked around my town to see if everyone is still alive. Thankfully, no-one else in my neighbourhood died, just Vita due to her being in the park all day. Phew! I was terrified while looking through all of my families. =P
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Such deaths of inactives are supposed to be rare. The game engine actually works pretty hard to protect inactive sims from their own negligence (never eating, failing to come in out of the sun, etc.). That it failed in this case could possibly be regarded as an exception. Or it might have been a sign that your game had been running too long without a save (as), total quit, and reload. The game engine tends to trip over itself if it's been running for too long. Whether that means hours or days, in real time, can depend on your computer.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a sim freeze to death. What seems to happen instead is that they turn into a block of ice. Relatively soon, other inactives gather around provided they are in an accessible location, carry them indoors (if possible), and help them thaw out.

But if you still want protection against overheating, I would agree with handing out the Immune to Heat reward to everyone in town rather than altering the weather patterns. With NRaas MasterController and its Cheats module (different mods, same source as Tempest), you can grant the 10,000 LTR points to everyone in town at once and then have them all purchase the reward at the same time -- doing the 170 individually would not be necessary. However, if new sims are born or arrive in town, they will need to be similarly protected later on.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2015
    I've never had a sim catch on fire from Summer. I have trouble even getting them sunburned. :P

edit: don't the parasols cool down sims? I don't use those, but that might be an option for active sims. I don't know how difficult it would be to place one in each inactive sim inventory.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    One way to avoid catching fire is to keep an eye on your sim's moodlets. There should be some sort of "getting hot" moodlet long before your sim will catch fire. And the same with "getting cold" long before freezing. Sending your sim inside when the moodlet shows up should prevent them catching fire. They might also show a wish to cool down or warm up.

I don't think townies have ever caught fire in my game without me knowing. I've had a couple of paparazzi catch fire in front of my celebrity sims' gates. The maid came out and put out one, but the other one burned to death, even though my sims were having a party and there were quite a lot of other sims around when it happened. But since those were paparazzi and it happened right outside my sims house (and they both had been standing there for days by then), I wouldn't worry too much about other sims you're not currently playing.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    notthecarnotthecar Posts: 262 Member
    I had a paparazzi catch fire and die in my game the other day. I'm playing in sunlit tides so its always summer. i didn't feel bad he was peeking in the windows and they poof he was on fire. My sim cleaned him up but i wanted to move his grave so he wouldn't come back as a ghost and i couldn't find it.
    1 Featured Look, 1 Complications and 1 Venue to go.

MMAO thinks I own the store! Saving my way to Midnight Hollow Gold until EA makes The Golden Ticket Shop buyable.
  • Options
    AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    I had a Sim freeze a total of 6 times. Fortunately, I rotate to each of the household members pretty frequently & got someone to thaw her out with a hair dryer each time, but I did think that was pretty excessive. Just that one Sim, though. Nothing like that's ever happened again. Although I've got Tempest to tone down the snow so that kids actually go to school during the winter, I've never tuned it to specifically keep Sims from dying from extremes & all's been well. So far...
  • Options
    YuiVooYuiVoo Posts: 173 Member
    Because it's hilarious and makes the game much more fun
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    I agree with @igazor, make sure you give your sims the Immune to Heat. I don't think they handled this particular season well, as it doesn't matter if your sim is swimming, they'll continue to get hotter and hotter until they get the 'sweating profusely' moodlet. Clearly they did a bulk programming based on whether or not your sim was outside (no umbrella or roof over their heads), rather than include swimming as a way to cool down. I suppose another way to handle this would be to buy your sim the sun umbrella. This apparently stops them from getting warm...
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    I didn't know it was possible till one day my Sim caught on fire. A passerby put him out. I have had Sims die of heat but never of cold. I had one Sim freeze and sometimes a passerby pulls out a hair dryer and helps. This time nothing, but instead of dying he just lost the moodlet and got up.

• Options
    Hoshi72385Hoshi72385 Posts: 1 New Member
    There's actually a way to come back I have Sims 3 in my mind my little fairy Sims caught on fire died and when the Grim Reaper came to take her she gave him a death flower he said thank you and resurrected her which is kind of weird kind of weird I wish I would have videotaped it but you have to have a death flower in your inventory is the point she even turned into a little ghost and Float around for a second it was kind of funny. <3 <3
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    That's pretty cool @Hoshi72385

Considering this thread is pretty old though I'm going to close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top