Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ROM: Magic As Skill Or Life State

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Skill
    I could make a case for either life state or skill, but am keeping an open mind and hoping to enjoy whatever they create for us. I voted for "Skill" but would be fine either way.
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I like the idea of a Trait. What I don’t want is every pear-shaped monstrosity generated in game running around shooting sparks out their wands, and I absolutely Do Not want to be confined to choosing Good Witch/Bad Witch and have my sims morphed into a stereotypical Glenda or Green hag. I absolutely hated the whole good/bad system and how restrictive it was.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Life State
    I would rather have a life state, I don't want random townies to start doing magic, too. Or as some others have said something like the celebrity system where it's an opt-in thing, rather than a skill that everyone can do.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Life State
    I'd prefer magic being unique to Witches. If even regular sims can use magic, then it's not special anymore and loses its appeal. I don't want every Sim and lifestate going around and using magic in my game. Just witches.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Life State
    I would really like to see both ways. But, it should be much harder than just using skills to become a witch when you were not born to it, like in Harry Potter, but it should eventually be attainable. I too would like the life state of being a witch to be in toddlers born of witches. However, I would also like to see people be able to earn magic as well.
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    Life State
    I would prefer a complete life state with a "perk tree" much like Vampires. This tree could either help with improving magical things (spell casting, potion brewing, broom riding, etc) or they could add separate skills for those kinds of things and leave the perk tree for more fun kinds of things!
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    Skill
    While I would prefer it to be a skill, I know witches are highly requested so...

Why not both? Showcase a unique skill tree exclusive to a lifestate for witches and have different types of magic for a skill.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Life State
    A “Fame-system” for magic could be interesting.

However I would prefer having a lifestate to having a skill. Speaking of lifestates, I hope it is the vampire or mermaid version, where a regular sim can become one and not the alien version. If you are born as a regular sim and want to become an alien you are out of luck.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I'm in the Both/Trait/Fame-system camp. I want some sims to be born with an affinity for magic, but I want to be able to mage-ify any sim I like and have them learn to use magic
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    none because i have no plans on making such lifestates in game i much prefer normal sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited July 2019
    Skill
    Ideally it should be skill to open magic for other Occults/Life States;

Skill as in it's unlocked after a special interaction with a certain object/potion etc if you don't have any Witch parents.
    However, you can also automatically unlock the skill once let's say you become a teen if one of your parents is a Witch.

In order to actually gain better and more magic spells you'd need to develop the Skill regardless of the case.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I don't know if I can decide on one of these.

I'd love it to be genetic (so, a Life State), so that children can inherit the abilities. I'd love if that state, whether it's like Mermaids/Vampires/Aliens or like Celebrities would properly stick for toddler and child Sims. So we'd get the younger age groups doing random magic things and learning different things as they age.
    But I'd also love for it to be a skill, or maybe a group of skills, with different branches of magic that would need to be learned - elemental magic, natural magic, alchemy, etc.

So maybe a combination of both? Where it would be a Life State with a special form for the Sim who has magic, and then special skills only accessible to those who have said life state? Or possibly those skills being accessible to every Sim, but only up to lvl 5, while Witch/Warlock/Wizard/etc Sims would be able to reach level 10?
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    Life State
    I think a life state is a solid answer for me. Mainly because we havent had magic implemented as skill before, as in full witch magic, and I fear itll clash too much with current lifestates (like vampire + witch will cause a lot of bugs) so yeah. I mean, if it's a separate simpler skill like alchemy then its totally doable, but not if you want it to be as complex as vampire-tree-like witch tree. I'd rather they do a lifestate and give it in depth it deserves, than skill with questionable results. If it was done fame tree style, then perhaps. But then people who dislike supernaturals (I love them, but some dont) may be against that since they'll be too afraid/dislike to accidentally develop magic abilities. You know what I mean? Maybe in Sims 5 it would work, we will see
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    Life State
    I could put it this way - I would be so disappointed if we did not get at the very least one new lifestate, witches, with this pack. I would love that we would get a few more e.g. fairies and perhaps even werewolves, and I truly want these to have a degree of development to them. I want the pack to have at least one senior member of each life state, like Vlad for Vampires, who rules the roost at the beginning and who our Sims could endeavour to befriend or topple as they grow and develop their strength in their form.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Skill
    Angellulu wrote: »
    I think a life state is a solid answer for me. Mainly because we havent had magic implemented as skill before, as in full witch magic, and I fear itll clash too much with current lifestates (like vampire + witch will cause a lot of bugs) so yeah. I mean, if it's a separate simpler skill like alchemy then its totally doable, but not if you want it to be as complex as vampire-tree-like witch tree. I'd rather they do a lifestate and give it in depth it deserves, than skill with questionable results. If it was done fame tree style, then perhaps. But then people who dislike supernaturals (I love them, but some dont) may be against that since they'll be too afraid/dislike to accidentally develop magic abilities. You know what I mean? Maybe in Sims 5 it would work, we will see

I'm not overly worried about this, as fame also has a skill tree and there's no conflict with being a famous vampire, so why would there be with being a magical one?

Again, I prefer it as a skill because I'd love to have mermaids being witches also. A Sea Witch is a classic, and I want to make one.

I do like it being genetic, too, though. So maybe it's an acquirable non-lifestate trait that unlocks the skill tree in your info panel (like opting out of fame, but in reverse. Opting into magic, but through gameplay), but once you have it it has a chance of passing on to your kids without them having to unlock it. That seems doable, as I think there are already a couple of inheritable traits in the game.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Kinda bothish, same as everyone else. I would make it so regular sims could do some spells with some help like magic wands, but it tends to be abit harder due to a lack of affinity towards magic. As for occults? Everyone except aliens (aliens are more science based and would be in the same boat as humans) would have a higher chance to succeed with spells and brewing potions than humans (seriously Maxis don't leave out potion making please), but aren't as developed as a witch.

So overall
    Humans and Aliens: Hard difficulty
    Occults: Medium
    Witches: Easy

Witches would of course have more abilities like riding brooms, using low level spells for no cost, and access to more powerful versions of spells. Oh! They also could have a disguise, would work similar to the alien one.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Life State
    I want magic to be a special ability, not something anybody can learn. I mean, if anyone can learn magic, would I be able to call the Landgraabs "You filthy muggles" if anyone could attend Hogwarts?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Skill
    Skill... Totally want a vampire witch.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I think it might be nice to have it be both a skill and a life state. Sims could initially learn it as a skill. If they really excel or follow a certain track, they could be rewarded with a new life state/ or a trait that would transform them to a new life state.

If they have children once in that state, they would produce children with some degree of magical aptitude, like the alien genetics produce some children with various percentages of alien abilities). Such children could have a few inherent magical abilities, but would still need to learn the skill and all the spells once they are adults. Depending on the percentage of magical ability in their DNA, such children could show a greater or lesser aptitude for the skill or perhaps even learn a few of the more harmless spells early.

I would be fine with magic as a skill because that is the only way to ensure everyone (vampires, aliens and mermaids) could do magic and thus to have hybrids. However, I really, dearly want magical children so a life state (unlockable through chronological progression or special study and spells) so I would prefer both.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited August 2019
    Life State

No offense, but as a HUGE Harry Potter fan, this sounds like Muggle Borns are less magically-abled than pure-bloods.
    I think it might be nice to have it be both a skill and a life state. Sims could initially learn it as a skill. If they really excel or follow a certain track, they could be rewarded with a new life state/ or a trait that would transform them to a new life state.

If they have children once in that state, they would produce children with some degree of magical aptitude, like the alien genetics produce some children with various percentages of alien abilities). Such children could have a few inherent magical abilities, but would still need to learn the skill and all the spells once they are adults. Depending on the percentage of magical ability in their DNA, such children could show a greater or lesser aptitude for the skill or perhaps even learn a few of the more harmless spells early.

I would be fine with magic as a skill because that is the only way to ensure everyone (vampires, aliens, and mermaids) could do magic and thus to have hybrids. However, I really, dearly want magical children so a life state (unlockable through chronological progression or special study and spells) so I would prefer both.

No offense, but as a huge Harry Potter fan I can't stand to not point this out. The bolded part makes it sound like witches/wizards born from one or less magical parents have less magical ability than one born from two. Again, not trying to offend you or anything, but it's just who I am to notice small things like this.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I feel like this wouldn’t even be a debate if the sims 4 devs just gave us proper hybrids. Then we can have our witches lifestate and the witches/vampire/alien/mermaid everyone else is talking about
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member

No offense, but as a HUGE Harry Potter fan, this sounds like Muggle Borns are less magically-abled than pure-bloods.

I would be fine with magic as a skill because that is the only way to ensure everyone (vampires, aliens, and mermaids) could do magic and thus to have hybrids. However, I really, dearly want magical children so a life state (unlockable through chronological progression or special study and spells) so I would prefer both.

No offense, but as a huge Harry Potter fan I can't stand to not point this out. The bolded part makes it sound like witches/wizards born from one or less magical parents have less magical ability than one born from two. Again, not trying to offend you or anything, but it's just who I am to notice small things like this.

As a huge Harry Potter fan myself, I am not offended. I agree it does sound problematic the way I worded it. I should not have said “aptitude.” I should just have said something like their rate of learning. I meant that perhaps they could learn the skill a bit faster or have a bit of a head start as adults. But of course everyone would max out the skill with the same intensity of magical ability. What I would really like is the ability for kids to do a bit of magic regardless of who their parents were. In TS1, I loved the kid versions of the adult spells, I just wished for more. I also liked the magic toy box that allowed kids to play with fairies. Even TS3 supernatural kids had a few abilities (although not enough for me). I would just like some of that in TS4. 🙂

• MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    Life State
    Life State with the ability to give magical powers to a normal sim or an another occult, sort of like the vampires can give vampire state to another sim. I definitly want born witches, but I would not mind magical lore. Please no skill that each and every sim can automatically learn. Magic has to be and stay rare in the game unless the player decides to spread it.