Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Styling Bedrooms

I enjoy building sim houses but I always find my Sim's bedrooms to be a bit lackluster. I'm never sure what to put in them. Does anyone have any methods they use to make a bedroom look nice?
Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I can't decorate a house to save myself but, from pics I have seen, would suggest adding clutter.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    A mattress on a pile of straw with a ratty old CASted blanket on it, warped wood flooring, a bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling, peeling paint, drafty broken windows, maybe a bathtub. Sims don't care and they don't really deserve any better anyway. >:)

(Not sure, but it's possible I may need to take a break from this game pretty soon...)

Okay, probably not on topic but seriously have you ever tried to simulate poverty conditions on purpose? Most content is just so nice looking even if we don't take the time color coordinate, it can be quite challenging to make things look uncomfortable on purpose even when using CC specifically designed for it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    Lots of furniture, artwork and plants is usually what I use. If you have a double bed you can put two end tables either side and a rug under the bed. If there's enough room you can put in a wardrobe, desk or bookcase. I just recently decorated a house that had large rooms so I put in some hobby stuff like an art easel and guitar but it depends what your sims like.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited July 2019
    A sofa for cuddles, and the mood lamp from SN are my standards in a bed room; otherwise decor befitting the sim/household, and with high enough points to give the moodlet Beautifully Decorated to make sure the LTR points are flowing in.

Edit: Oh, and @igazor, hope you don't leave the game behind; you are too much fun to have here :smile:
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    ...otherwise decor befitting the sim/household, and with high enough points to give the moodlet Beautifully Decorated to make sure the LTR points are flowing in.
    This is primary for me, plus using the most comfortable and energizing beds, etc they can afford. Looks are secondary for me. I usually don't add clutter unless it has an environmental value that contributes to the Beautifully decorated moodlet. I decorate for the sims first and then make it as pleasing as I can for me.

Sims spend about a third of their time sleeping so getting the Beautifully decorated moodlet is most important for the bedrooms. It's much easier getting that moodlet in a kitchen/dining/living room.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Yes, and depending on many other factors too of course, but too much clutter can effect performance.

Here is a good, and previously in this forum linked thread on the environmental points that I was happy to find

Carl's:
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=1158.0

The good thing about the objects stats is that they do not match a simple estethic view and so the moodlet is attainable even for a room meant to look poor or run down etc. One less good thing about the beds is that playing unmodded there are few to pick from if wanting the best for the sims. I am sure there is a mod to create other options though.
  • WainwrongWainwrong Posts: 89 Member
    It depends.

Nelly and Fiffi Virsaladze have just moved in Moonlight Falls (which may be temporary) so their bedroom is the default home of that house. There seems to be only one starter home in moonlight falls.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @CravenLestat Those bedrooms really reflect your talent at building and decorating :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 545 Member
    edited July 2019
    @CravenLestat WOW I love your decorating and patterns, especially the first pic.

I like decorating but I hate using buy mode in TS3 because it's really hard to find things so I often give up. In one of my downloaded houses they have books lying flat on a surface with a small vase of flowers on top and it's lovely. Mirrors and throw pillows are always nice touches too.

Edit: photo of the books and flowers. Again this is not a house I decorated myself - I downloaded it but honestly don't remember from where to give credit.
    48236402227_c964a6f856_h.jpg
    Post edited by sassygray5 on
  • ARRenschARRensch Posts: 694 Member
    @CravenLestat That's honestly amazing, wow

@coco I'm going to be honest, I never use rugs but I just tried one out in my current sim's bedroom and it really adds; I think I'm gonna want to invest in some cc rugs here soon.
    Wearing a gas mask to flex on the coronavirus.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    In addition to the standard beds, end tables and dressers, I add entertainment items to fill a room. I tend to include bookshelves most often, and sometimes TVs, desks, fireplaces, etc., depending on the available space. Plants, rugs, sculptures and paintings are nice additions, and sometimes I use miscellaneous clutter décor. If I’m designing a room for a particular Sim, I keep in mind their favorite colors or preferred hobbies, like an easel for artists or a display area for collectors.

I will sometimes plan a bedroom using colors from a painting, or take inspiration from the colors from the world they live in. I may choose a shape or pattern and design around that. Themed bedrooms can be fun to create, especially for kids.

Samples of various styles behind the spoiler.
    SevenToweraspirateroom_zpsvergjnlf.jpg
    SevenTowersgothicroom_zpsz9uhrxch.jpg
    36_zps7cff364a.jpg
    MysticOasisneonbedroom_zpsuogfsty3.jpg
    IslandBreezeoceanbedroom_zpsxo7aohyd.jpg
    26neonguestroom.jpg
    25starguestroom.jpg
    27safaribedroom_zps2gbctlkr.jpg21rockbedroom_zps198nvusb.jpg
    14glamourbedroom_zpsrfsjntyc.jpg
    38_zps0e15eb7e.jpg
    39_zps640dcb22.jpg
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Here's where mine are sleeping in my apocalypse challenge in Sunsey Valley2.
    47113666602_267802fced.jpg
    @igazor -I've been able to simulate poverty by having them sleeping in a house without a seperate bedroom.You just might want to play a simpler save for a while as a change of pace.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited July 2019
    If there's enough room... maybe a loveseat, bench, or chair with a plant. I like to keep things practical as much as possible. Sometimes my sims will take a book from a bookshelf in another room and go to their bedroom to read so I do like sticking a chair at least in there if I can. If you place a TV across from the bed, they will watch it laying in bed.
    igazor wrote: »
    A mattress on a pile of straw with a ratty old CASted blanket on it, warped wood flooring, a bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling, peeling paint, drafty broken windows, maybe a bathtub. Sims don't care and they don't really deserve any better anyway. >:)

(Not sure, but it's possible I may need to take a break from this game pretty soon...)

Okay, probably not on topic but seriously have you ever tried to simulate poverty conditions on purpose? Most content is just so nice looking even if we don't take the time color coordinate, it can be quite challenging to make things look uncomfortable on purpose even when using CC specifically designed for it. :)
    I've decorated a house this style before and it was quite fun! In the end, I was using a lot of CC to achieve the look so I kinda dropped that save but it's still doable with EA content + create-a-style.

Jokes or not... hope you are doing well igazor. :) Breaks are always nice.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    Am pretty sure this isn't going to help the OP, maybe I'll start a new thread about it with some screenshots, but I'm currently playing (when I have time to play) a Halfway House designed to take in homeless Role and Service teens and YAs who seem to have potential but aren't going to amount to anything left to the game alone so they can learn skills properly and be more functional and interesting as town residents. The property was purchased and is owned (SP Money mod) by a former homeless family who is now doing quite well in their modest 2-bedroom house just outside of downtown Bridgeport. The town contributes by funding skill gaining objects in the highrise's (actually it's a five story walk-up) common areas and by not subjecting the residents to the full property tax requirement (SP Money again), although they do have to pay rent to the benevolent landlords in order to stay on.

Anyway, it's warm and safe but very rundown and I can't combine the sleeping area with the living room because there's too may residents for that to work well. The main bedroom is more like a dorm or military barracks. I don't like simple saves and structures and am more in my happy place with the game when things are overly complicated. Hence the not so serious grumbling about how difficult but fun it can be to make things look shoddy on purpose.

Some of these beautiful bedroom designs are totally great, but these sims won't find themselves in such an environment until they work themselves up to being able to afford it on their own. Or some of them may "marry well," one of them is a teen already dating one from a more financially stable family and things are getting serious there romantically, as far as teen romances typically go. He's already befriended the future in-laws and they are very fond of him too.

Appreciate the concern, but what I mean by the needing to take a break comment was in reference to what I said about sims not caring nor deserving any better. I wasn't being totally serious there, although I hardly have any time to actually play due to work related constraints right now.

And now, hopefully, back to the amazing design and decorating tips that the OP really deserves to learn about. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    Well, I like to play with the colors of the walls. I add one or two walls with some wallpaper and the bedroom looks less bland.

Not to mention everything that has already been said.
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    @CravenLestat I love your bedrooms and patterns! So colorful and different to one another!

@starguru I love your bedrooms too! I like how they all stick to a theme, and are so detailed!!

Both of your rooms are inspiring, and I decided I need to work on spending more time on my bedrooms which are usually pretty basic.

@sassygray5 What object did they use to make the extra check pillows on the bed? I've seen that idea other places and can never figure it out.
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 545 Member
    equuest wrote: »
    @sassygray5 What object did they use to make the extra check pillows on the bed? I've seen that idea other places and can never figure it out.

It’s actually an armchair! :o
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    This really makes me eager for when my main sim, Ruby Holmes, marries her soulmate and manages to earn enough simoleons from playing band gigs and getting tips to move into a "mansion", rather than the two story house that's a little small and boring for her taste, but she appreciated the gym equipment it came with, and a tiny but pleasantly landscaped backyard with a fire pit. (The house was originally made for a male sim to live in, I think, but I changed the decor and a few pieces of furniture).

I'm going to go for a modern, maybe Tumblr-ish two story, white and rose-gold (that color IS possible, right?), grey, black, silver, light blue in the bathrooms, monochrome maybe, and lots of plants.
    Gonna have to look around "Simblr" for nice cc to add in.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have to admit I have only really started to fall in love with decorating in Sims 3 very recently (most of the time my houses are MINIMALIST to an extreme, my sim's didn't even have their incense burners from vacation on tables until a couple weeks ago). BUT, now that I am getting into it, I tend to start with a sim's favorite color and then match their decor to it. And I include elements of their character (if there is one) to add more to it.

This sim loves the color green, and character wise, he would always play chess with his son. So I put a table in there.
    CgY4B8K.jpg
    zqJrnVm.jpg

This is my sim's parent's room. She likes monochrome and he likes blues and greens, Both are wealthy snobs, so I fused their tastes.

S3uVIrw.jpg
    1esi1AY.jpg
    IRCru9i.jpg
    Post edited by Linamints on
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    igazor wrote: »

^^This.

And conversely, @CravenLestat - I want all your Sims and for you to decorate all my houses. lol
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited July 2019
    @igazor and @SimplyJen Now you can have your dream room

I made 3 patterns you can use to make that perfect torture chamber that you've always dreamed of.Download links below

YlyvY1U.png

The creepy wallpaper texture

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9325672

The Moldy bed cover pattern

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9325671

And the awesome rusted metal texture seen on the bed frame "I darkened it in CAS but default is a tad lighter"

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9325670

The floor texture above was included in a build that is already in my studio

@surreal @jillbg @ARRensch and @sassygray5 Thank you :smiley::heart:

Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    The most effective thing I do is look up pictures of different decorating styles for bedrooms. For one house I have a country theme so I looked up a lot of farmhouse interiors. It helps to get some ideas started at least :)
    tumblr_prktr4MIO61xq9hdmo2_540.jpg

tumblr_prktr4MIO61xq9hdmo1_540.jpg

tumblr_prktr4MIO61xq9hdmo4_540.jpg
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,669 Member
    Bedrooms of a band

Divo's Mirrors
    ZLvFu8.jpg
    ZLvPjf.jpg

Blue of poison
    ZLv3bF.jpg
    ZLv1DU.jpg

Darkness of sicario
    ZLv75j.jpg
    ZLvbPs.jpg

Homicide scene
    ZLxQJA.jpg
    ZLxMid.jpg

Extra room Desperate turquoise
    ZLxJL8.jpg
    ZLxGsf.jpg
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

This is a picture of my sim. In the background you can get a glimpse of her dorm room at university. You can probably guess her favorite color is purple. :)

nRs5tlF.jpg

By going into edit town in your original home world you can edit your game's version of the university world or any of the WA worlds. I always change at least 2 things at uni before I send my sim - add skill books to the the library and edit the dorm my sim will be staying at. By changing the dorm at that time it doesn't cost my sim anything to have high quality kitchen appliances, bathroom plumbing and TV and sofas. And I rearrange the sleeping so my sim can have a bedroom all to themselves which has comfortable and high quality furnishings giving the beautifully decorated +40 moodlet. I usually don't change the look of the dorm room itself, just the furnishing.