The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's talk about this re-brand thing.

Okay, let me start by saying that re-branding is cool.
However, in my opinion, it was executed terribly.

Let's start with icons:
xuybtwm6gy931.png

Prior to this re-branding, each expansion had its own feel and look to it. We could easily tell which expansions gave us which objects in buy/build mode just by seeing the icon color. That won't be the case anymore. Now I will have to use a magnifying glass while playing just to see which EP it is since it won't be distinctive by color.

When talking about new starting screen, I liked the old one better. Now 50% of that space is used to remind us what EPs, GPs, and SPs we are missing.
This also makes it worse because the colors of game packs and expansion packs are extremely similar. They could've gone with yellow or something. Blue and teal are almost indistinguishable to me, not to mention how color-blind people would feel, I can imagine they would have a hard time seeing the difference as well.
l4wib3jf7x931.png

Finally, the Plumbob redesign... Ugh!
Why change it when it was already perfect and simplistic and beautiful. Now it's too contrasty and the colors are terrible.

You may not agree with me, but I just had to say it somewhere.

Pictures are borrowed from Reddit users.

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    There are already two threads on the first page talking about this subject.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,403 Member
    Given the fact that probably 3, 4 more EPs are coming, what future colours would you have chosen? Turquoise perhaps, but then? Brown??
  • MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    Given the fact that probably 3, 4 more EPs are coming, what future colours would you have chosen? Turquoise perhaps, but then? Brown??

Brown, pink, cyan...
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I think the new plumbob looks alright. The icons, though? Boring. Anyway, such trivial things aren't nearly enough to ruin my gaming experience.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I can't say I spend any time at all on that screen. As long as I get to know where the "New Game" and "Load Game" buttons are, I really don't care either way what that screen looks like.

I'll miss the different icon colours in BB, though. Makes it easy to see what packs objects come from. Guess I'll have to use the filters more after the change.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I’m still unable to decide how I feel about this. Normally I can come up with an opinion pretty fast, but not this time.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The way I see it why fix something that is not broke and I agree with the OP the one that is being replaced there is nothing wrong with it and for me it is still better than the new one. However, it is their product and EA/Maxis going to do what feel is good for them and not for most of it's customers anyway.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    I’m still unable to decide how I feel about this. Normally I can come up with an opinion pretty fast, but not this time.

Maybe because it is no big deal, really, and just a routine branding update, that people are blowing way out of proportion?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    It does look bad but I spend less than 5 sec on that screen and click play asap. It won't effect me.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I’m fine with most of it, but I have a problem with the bright blue. I have sensory sensitivities and I can’t look at it without my eyes and head hurting. I really want to try out the new CAS stories as I personally dislike creating sims and this will help me, but I don’t think I’ll be able to play with that blue or else I’ll have a massive headache before even getting into live mode.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I’m fine with most of it, but I have a problem with the bright blue. I have sensory sensitivities and I can’t look at it without my eyes and head hurting. I really want to try out the new CAS stories as I personally dislike creating sims and this will help me, but I don’t think I’ll be able to play with that blue or else I’ll have a massive headache before even getting into live mode.
    They should be able to have alternatives for people such as you. Hopefully this can be provided..
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    They should be able to have alternatives for people such as you. Hopefully this can be provided..

That's why I say change the bright blue to something else entirely.
    I have a friend who complained as soon as she saw that new design, and she really can't stand the bright blue. I can't imagine how you two feel because I don't have sensory sensitivity, but from a creative standpoint, it's bad.
    Hopefully, they'll address this. :)
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    So the icons weren’t changed when they were in build mode yesterday. I think it’s just a main menu change which in my opinion is worse. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think the icons are being changed anywhere but main menu the looked the exact same in build mode yesterday. It seems like it’s just to help organize them on the main menu which is silly because why change them at all. Again I might be wrong but the icons weren’t changed during the stream yesterday.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Akl500P wrote: »
    So the icons weren’t changed when they were in build mode yesterday. I think it’s just a main menu change which in my opinion is worse. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think the icons are being changed anywhere but main menu the looked the exact same in build mode yesterday. It seems like it’s just to help organize them on the main menu which is silly because why change them at all. Again I might be wrong but the icons weren’t changed during the stream yesterday.

No. Check again, they have the same revamped colors in buy/build on the stream!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yup, and I really can't distinguish the content by icons now with this re-brand...

Ah yes I only saw the gamepack ones which haven’t changed. And I’m kind of thankful it’s still a solid color and not the odd shiny icons on the main menu. I think they ran out of color ideas. Wish they didn’t do this but I thought it wasn’t uniform in game when for the most part it is ( just solid colors not the ones on the main menu that I kind of hate).

Anyway this whole rebranding thing is fine (I understand the why behind it) but I wish the main menu looked better and less messy. Maybe I’ll get used to it but it’s an extreme change from the sleek white. As far as the loading screen being hard on eyes I feel like it’s going to be better for me than the stark bright white. I have very sensitive eyes to brightness but I’d much rather have a pale understated blue ( yeah it’s boring) than the bright white. The new covers I’ll never see so I’m not too bothered by them. Yes the expansion ones are kind of bad but the new overall cover isn’t terrible. I don’t mind them changing that. Sorry this sounds kind of rambling but hopefully you see what I mean about it all OP and fellow simmers.

Ah yes I only saw the gamepack ones which haven’t changed. And I’m kind of thankful it’s still a solid color and not the odd shiny icons on the main menu. I think they ran out of color ideas. Wish they didn’t do this but I thought it wasn’t uniform in game when for the most part it is ( just solid colors not the ones on the main menu that I kind of hate).

Anyway this whole rebranding thing is fine (I understand the why behind it) but I wish the main menu looked better and less messy. Maybe I’ll get used to it but it’s an extreme change from the sleek white. As far as the loading screen being hard on eyes I feel like it’s going to be better for me than the stark bright white. I have very sensitive eyes to brightness but I’d much rather have a pale understated blue ( yeah it’s boring) than the bright white. The new covers I’ll never see so I’m not too bothered by them. Yes the expansion ones are kind of bad but the new overall cover isn’t terrible. I don’t mind them changing that. Sorry this sounds kind of rambling but hopefully you see what I mean about it all OP and fellow simmers.

I like how they streamlined EPs, GPs, and SPs with one template, but I don't like the colors they chose for EPs. Too similar to GPs.

I like how they streamlined EPs, GPs, and SPs with one template, but I don't like the colors they chose for EPs. Too similar to GPs.

Yeah there were so many other colors they could have chosen. It is very similar for sure. Especially on the new covers.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Stutum wrote: »
    I think the new plumbob looks alright. The icons, though? Boring. Anyway, such trivial things aren't nearly enough to ruin my gaming experience.

I like the blue but I loathe the plumbob redesign.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    The stuff and game pack icons have always been one color...have you had trouble distinguishing from them? I like the way the re-branding looks personally (except the plumbob), and I think fans are just yet again making a mountain out of a molehill. How much time is really spent on the main menu?
    1500x500.jpg
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    The stuff and game pack icons have always been one color...have you had trouble distinguishing from them? I like the way the re-branding looks personally (except the plumbob), and I think fans are just yet again making a mountain out of a molehill. How much time is really spent on the main menu?
    Game packs had a blue label and stuff packs green, they are not the same.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Game packs had a blue label and stuff packs green, they are not the same.

Yeah, that's not what I said. I said the game pack and stuff pack icons have always all been ONE COLOR. The expansion packs were the only ones with different colors for each. I was asking OP if they had trouble distinguishing those, because if not when why the big deal about the expansions now all being one color.
    1500x500.jpg