Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Is The Sims 4 meant to be a 'safe space' game or is it just another excuse from EA for not doing anything right?
    I don't know. But it being ultra safe seriously has caused me much anxiety. It is like the world expects you to be a perfect little robot, so how am I supposed to escape from that and find some humanity if the Sims 4 takes all the humanity away from the life simulation aspect too?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I agree with this. I started playing the sims 1 as a teenager. I wasn’t playing it to explore a happy, utopia life style. I was definitely more of a “exploring failure states” kind of player.
    My niece is almost a teen and she likes the sims 4 but she gets bored quickly as there’s nothing in her eyes to do. She definitely doesn’t care for the constant utopia that is sims 4. It is incredibly sad that EA don’t care about their existing fans from previous games and I think that’s part of why the sims 4 has the problems it has. There are too many instances of fans asking for things, being ignored and the studio telling fans what they want- Who asked for the Moschino Stuff pack? Who asked for content to be held from an expansion and made a stuff pack?

I completely agree the game needs more consequences and depth.

Well they've become pop culture now, not just a video game. It's always about money but it's also about staying modern and keeping up with trends and less about being a sandbox life simulator video game. It kind of puts me in mind of something I used to see back in school. Of the one friend who starts becoming popular and eventually ditches the people they used to hang out with. The old friends accepted them for being who they were but now they've gained popularity and the number one focus is keeping it, no matter what parts of them they have to shed to be accepted. Now suddenly things that used to be cool and acceptable with their old group of friends are no longer cool and acceptable because of their new friends. They want the old friends to follow them into popularity too, trying to have their cake and eat it too, so they encourage the old friends to keep up and get with the times. But when the old friends don't just conform to everything like they expected them to, like they did, they toss the old friends aside and stick to the new, more popular friends. We're the old friends who got tossed aside.

I know they'll say that isn't true and that they listen to us but if they feel money from core players or players who've played any iteration before 4 is a given then what incentive would they have to listen to and provide for those players? Not a lot. Really none. Core players are going to cave regardless, at least in the companies eyes and if they don't well they think they can be popular and trendy enough to reel in new players to compensate for that loss. There's no need to listen or provide for those older players. And listening, at least to me, isn't just putting out practically the same or a worse fan favorite packs and content or so graciously letting players vote to have laundry.

If they were listening there would've been steady advancements made in those packs and laundry wouldn't have needed a vote in the first place. Listening would be knowing actually knowing why your consumers don't seem to like certain things not going off data that only tells part of the story. Listening would be knowing exactly what the problems are and following through on fixing them first instead of moving to the next pack or even the next game. And don't get me wrong, better late listening than never but sometimes late is too late. Damage incurs, and adding to that they can't speak on much of anything which makes it worse. That's part of the reason there are angry players, tired players, frustrated players, hostile players, and players that are just done with them.
    Beautiful allegory. And the problem here of course is, that we’re left without a friend now. There’s nobody else to turn to, we’re left in the cold.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    I wasn't always the biggest fan of TS4 but I feel like it gets such a bad rep. 3 and 2 were by no means perfect. I struggled to like 3 for years and I still don't feel attached. It was a buggy mess and the only good bit was the open world. 2 is still the golden child but a lot of my love for it is colored by nostalgia. It's really hard for me to go back to it, and I kind of don't want to because I want to keep those memories of it untarnished. 4 has it's issues (that seem to become better and worse every patch day) and engine limitations but I still have a blast with the game. Even if it's not for everyone the systems it has introduced into the series as a whole are fantastic. I could see them learning from all three games if/when they release The Sims 5. Do I want TS4 to end for 5? Not really, I'm not in a hurry to get to 5 cause I'm enjoying 4. And I'd assume everyone who is playing a sims game is currently enjoying their game of choice. And more importantly, if it's rushed it will never be the game we all want it to be. There's a lot that 5 has to do to win us over from day one and I don't envy the team for having to deal with a fanbase who will all pick their hills to die on. I can wait for them to get it right. I'd rather not wait for them to get it wrong and truly alienate all the fans.
    This is not about other versions being perfect and it’s also not about individuals not being able to embrace a certain version. This is about objective problems the game has, no matter if you like the game or not. For me there’s something wrong with the concept somehow, but I know simmers who like that concept and they love the sims, and still they complain about shallowness and sacrifices and no personalities and needing all kind of mods to make the gameplay acceptable. Sims 3 indeed is buggy by the way, but not in a way that it’s unplayable. It never has been for me, not when I played vanilla and not now that I have a couple of mods (that make the game more fragile crash wise but solve other things). Bugs in Sims 3 is playing for ages without trouble and then suddenly something goes really wrong. Which is why I learned to number my saves and go back to a previous one when I bump into a bug. And when I return, nothing happens. I don’t get the same bug. Bugs in 3 often come down to something that snaps for some reason, but it won’t necessarily snap the next time. There are a few things in the game that almost always bug (holiday for the parents, the darn under water cave, the werewolve appearance automatically going to default when you reopen your game), but that list isn’t by far long enough to put the game on a shelf and never touch it again. Bugs in Sims 3 are annoying and there shouldn’t have been so many (especially not when rushing clearly caused a lot of them), but for fans like me they’ve never been a reason to quit playing. For me the game is way too enjoyable for that and my families too dear.

P.s. and it’s also about the fact they want to drag on this version for another ten years or what. Don’t forget the older versions were done with by now. There is no reason at all for Sims 4 to be an exception when it has so many issues.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Alexciel wrote: »
    I'm going to drop here a comment extracted for a Parent-Review website, were a parent ask that TS4 should remove more content.

***************************************************************************************
    Bug says:
    November 7, 2018 at 11:15 pm

The company needs to delete the sexual content. This is another example of media telling girls that having enlarged breasts and butt is more attractive. Also, showing that if they put a few good things into the video game, like managing money, consumers should ignore the inappropriate material. There is no need for the sexual aspects to be included in this game.
    ***************************************************************************************

And another one:

Is there a password protection option on the SIMS4 game? We only want our daughter (8 years) to play this game when we are about. She was beside herself when some of the characters inexplicably(!?) died (much to our horror – yes, it was our fault for not understanding the game!). I have had a scout round in the options menu but nothing obvious there. Thanks

I think catering to girls is not the problem, catering to parents is.
    Source: geekdad.com, parents-should-know-about-the-sims-4

(You will have to search for it, I'm not able to post the link)
    Don’t those parents know there are games out there for their kids? Other games? Suitable games? And that Sims isn’t it?

Exactly. That's why they made the "My Sims" series which was made specifically for young children in mind, NOT the main The Sims series. I wish those parents would actually read the info on things before buying them.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Aericia wrote: »
    They would make so much more $$$$ long term if they developed the complicated stuff into one game and created the happy pony game as an offshoot.

You think like a player, my friend. ;)
    Think like a developer. "If you don't have to do something, don't do it". :(
    Of course, the critics reviews might be worse, but till they do not have any competitors and people paying for their games, nothing will change, I'm afraid.
    I like to think not every game developer/company thinks like that...

Misfortune...
    Of course not every game developers thinks like that... There are many wonderful games, like The Witcher made by small Polish group of passionate people (my father in law made cd covers for them). They know, that if the quality of their product will be low, they will be ended. In Poland we are still in shock because of The Witcher success, BTW. ;)
    I don't know who directing The Sims, but he (or she) is not a visionary. The company is big and they do not need to "fight for players", so low quality is not a big problem for them.

Oh I LOVE The Witcher series! And now CD Projekt Red is coming out with Cyberpunk 2077 next year. I'm hoping that they post the specs for that soon. I'm thinking of pre-ordering that! Their previous games are all high quality so I trust them enough for me to want to pre-order their new game. (Plus it has Keanu Reeves! He's so cute!)

I used to be exactly like that with previous The Sims iterations - completely trusting towards EA and Maxis - and I was never disappointed with TS1, TS2 or TS3. But now, any trust I've had in them has been completely destroyed by the poor quality of TS4 and their deceptive selling/marketing efforts.

The solution to that is very simple though - just return to the amazing quality and amount of content that packs used to have for TS5. That will restore trust in the company and the devs. People will be willing to pre-order it or buy it at full price again.
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2019
    They would make so much more $$$$ long term if they developed the complicated stuff into one game and created the happy pony game as an offshoot.

Of course, the critics reviews might be worse, but till they do not have any competitors and people paying for their games, nothing will change, I'm afraid.

Misfortune...
    Of course not every game developers thinks like that... There are many wonderful games, like The Witcher made by small Polish group of passionate people (my father in law made cd covers for them). They know, that if the quality of their product will be low, they will be ended. In Poland we are still in shock because of The Witcher success, BTW. ;)
    I don't know who directing The Sims, but he (or she) is not a visionary. The company is big and they do not need to "fight for players", so low quality is not a big problem for them.

I don't know TS4 history, but the game looks like made for online project. Seriously, I'm not good in English... :/ No fears, no desires, It looks like incomplete game, like in the middle of works someone changed decision and they had to speed up their works. And look at the expansions - when I bought TS4 in June 2017 there were only 3 expansions and lots of stuff packs. I remember only 2 new stuffs in 2 years - laundry and "the hamster from space" - and more expansions, including "must be", like seasons and pets. The policy was changed and good.

And the players... They (including myself) will buy everything and instead of scream about the source of problem, they demanding new objects like cars, spiral stairs etc (sorry, guys, I want them too, but maybe later...). The game changers are, for me, group of "walking commercials" (they love everything!).

I still believe, that they will improve TS4. They must show us, that they know, where they were wrong. Without it I do not believe in better TS5.
    You're from Poland :smiley: I visited Krakow a month ago and fell in love with the city, the whole atmosphere. Ok, this is off topic, sorry :D Anyway, I very much agree with you. I must add that it saddens me how so many fans seem to openly support and accept their decision to sacrifice so many features I love for 'performance' sake. I don't buy it tbh, I just don't believe fo example an open world isn't possible without the issues it had in Sims 3. They just need to do it right, but instead I see people stating they don't want/need it back, apparently feeling it's necessary to be able to play the game and I fear that's all EA needs to hear to continue this way.

Thank You for Your kind words. I'm from Warsaw but I like Krakow too. Very old "city of artists" with interesting history and nice legends. :)
    I see the problem with the Simmers, because some of them just like to build hoses, and TS4 is very good for them, some want just play in "home, realistic style" (one of my friends dreaming about open windows), and some - make dramas (like me).
    In TS2 I loved to make romantic stories like in Pride and Prejudice for example. I made two Sims with perfect chemistry and "meet them" in clubs or restaurants and just watch... here? No chance! And, for worse, I can't be sure, that my Sims prefer each other than the rest of the Sims community, because sometimes they are flirting with others... and the whims system is very poor - it choose one person over all, for example my Sim love his wife but when his friend is near, he wants chat with him, joke with him and forgot about wife and children. My four housemates based on the A-team tv show focused their whims on one of them (B.A. hehe), when they have better relationship (good friends) with other household member.

Sorry for my complaining, but sometimes I'm very angry. :( There are small things but for me it's impossible to play life simulator without basic things, like chemistry or relationships. :/

@ClarionOfJoy
    I didn't play The Witcher, but I read some stories by Andrzej Sapkowski. The game is based on his books and I can recommend them! :)

When I decided to buy TS4 I thought, that "ok, TS2 is very good, this will be brilliant". What a shame! Why they just couldn't take what was good in previous parts, add new stuff and make perfect game? :(

Ok, I'll will go now, because I don't even want to know, how many mistakes in English I made. :D Sorry for that, Guys! Regards!
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member

Misfortune...

Oh I LOVE The Witcher series! And now CD Projekt Red is coming out with Cyberpunk 2077 next year. I'm hoping that they post the specs for that soon. I'm thinking of pre-ordering that! Their previous games are all high quality so I trust them enough for me to want to pre-order their new game. (Plus it has Keanu Reeves! He's so cute!)

I used to be exactly like that with previous The Sims iterations - completely trusting towards EA and Maxis - and I was never disappointed with TS1, TS2 or TS3. But now, any trust I've had in them has been completely destroyed by the poor quality of TS4 and their deceptive selling/marketing efforts.

The solution to that is very simple though - just return to the amazing quality and amount of content that packs used to have for TS5. That will restore trust in the company and the devs. People will be willing to pre-order it or buy it at full price again.

This.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019
    I wasn't always the biggest fan of TS4 but I feel like it gets such a bad rep. 3 and 2 were by no means perfect. I struggled to like 3 for years and I still don't feel attached. It was a buggy mess and the only good bit was the open world. 2 is still the golden child but a lot of my love for it is colored by nostalgia. It's really hard for me to go back to it, and I kind of don't want to because I want to keep those memories of it untarnished. 4 has it's issues (that seem to become better and worse every patch day) and engine limitations but I still have a blast with the game. Even if it's not for everyone the systems it has introduced into the series as a whole are fantastic. I could see them learning from all three games if/when they release The Sims 5. Do I want TS4 to end for 5? Not really, I'm not in a hurry to get to 5 cause I'm enjoying 4. And I'd assume everyone who is playing a sims game is currently enjoying their game of choice. And more importantly, if it's rushed it will never be the game we all want it to be. There's a lot that 5 has to do to win us over from day one and I don't envy the team for having to deal with a fanbase who will all pick their hills to die on. I can wait for them to get it right. I'd rather not wait for them to get it wrong and truly alienate all the fans.

They aren't going to be worried about a core fanbase of the past. They have said so. Marketing has some way out ideas of how to gain new players. They won't even be worried if TS4 fans buy TS5, they have an all new marketing plan to get original TS5 players and won't worry about past players of any iteration. I honestly don't think they would care if TS4 players (let alone any of the rest of the core base) move over to TS5. It's a whole new way to market and it seems to be working so far for TS4, (35% more every year) so it's not about you as a TS4 player but a new player who has never played any of them.< I mean the future isn't going to be about any of us, including TS4 fans, but a new player.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited July 2019
    This is not about other versions being perfect and it’s also not about individuals not being able to embrace a certain version. This is about objective problems the game has, no matter if you like the game or not. For me there’s something wrong with the concept somehow, but I know simmers who like that concept and they love the sims, and still they complain about shallowness and sacrifices and no personalities and needing all kind of mods to make the gameplay acceptable. Sims 3 indeed is buggy by the way, but not in a way that it’s unplayable. It never has been for me, not when I played vanilla and not now that I have a couple of mods (that make the game more fragile crash wise but solve other things). Bugs in Sims 3 is playing for ages without trouble and then suddenly something goes really wrong. Which is why I learned to number my saves and go back to a previous one when I bump into a bug. And when I return, nothing happens. I don’t get the same bug. Bugs in 3 often come down to something that snaps for some reason, but it won’t necessarily snap the next time. There are a few things in the game that almost always bug (holiday for the parents, the darn under water cave, the werewolve appearance automatically going to default when you reopen your game), but that list isn’t by far long enough to put the game on a shelf and never touch it again. Bugs in Sims 3 are annoying and there shouldn’t have been so many (especially not when rushing clearly caused a lot of them), but for fans like me they’ve never been a reason to quit playing. For me the game is way too enjoyable for that and my families too dear.

P.s. and it’s also about the fact they want to drag on this version for another ten years or what. Don’t forget the older versions were done with by now. There is no reason at all for Sims 4 to be an exception when it has so many issues.

I agree I can't see how TS4 is worty of more years than the others ones. I mean really it's no more remarkable than TS1 (it's a lot less compared to all three of them). What makes it so special it deserves more and more years. I can understand players wanting stuff like Univeristy or packs in previous versions but after five years I just don't see it's so great it should go on three more. Imagine what we could have all done if 1,2,3, got eight-ten years. I don't think anyone can acutaly answer why it is so great it deserves a decade.

ETA: Five years was long enough. Because by that time the natives are restless. Anyone can take a look around. The feedback adn complaints aren't just by the 'haters' If I am considered one(I actually liked some of TS4) the feedback is now filled with those who were happy four years ago, wanting to know where are all the features, complaining of bugs, complaiing in general (where they can hide their negative comments) about a feature not working or something messed up and or which mod to fix what thing, etc. It's now the players who like the game as a whole and every pack who are starting to complain loudly. It's no longer the 'haters' but those who never complained, but they always apologise, with don't get me wrong I love TS4...and then tell their complaints, but they are starting to have more and more of them, while we sit on the side line and think we told you that pack was empty but you bought it anyway. Eventually, they will start to see it, too, before they buy and even TS4 core fans will drop the game or not buy as often.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited July 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

I agree I can't see how TS4 is worty of more years than the others ones. I mean really it's no more remarkable than TS1 (it's a lot less compared to all three of them). What makes it so special it deserves more and more years. I can understand players wanting stuff like Univeristy or packs in previous versions but after five years I just don't see it's so great it should go on three more. Imagine what we could have all done if 1,2,3, got eight-ten years. I don't think anyone can acutaly answer why it is so great it deserves a decade.

Exactly. I'll be right blunt. I don't like Sims 4. I bought the base game and nothing else because I don't like it. Like other people didn't like 3 and waited it out for...4, I guess. I figured the usual 5 years and maybe the next one I would like. Very disappointing not to have the next one by now.

Oh well, still playing Sims 3. (And some 2). And still not buying anything 4.

edited July 2019

Exactly. I'll be right blunt. I don't like Sims 4. I bought the base game and nothing else because I don't like it. Like other people didn't like 3 and waited it out for...4, I guess. I figured the usual 5 years and maybe the next one I would like. Very disappointing not to have the next one by now.

Yes, do we know anyone who is jumping up and down waiting on that new stuff pack? From what I have read it's not something anyone really wants but they will take it, but it's nothing they wanted or like. Go figure. So, having to endure time and packs they or we don't want, while this game continues, all for the sake of going on three more years. And some just waiting and waiting on something like 'magic' that may not even be their vision of magic but another empty world with not much to do. Looking at mermaids, it's time to end this game.

ETA: Maybe they go back to their roots and Realm of Magic is the last pack, like Makin' Magic was for TS1? I doubt it, and if they can get a dime out of another stuff pack of clothes' brands no one actually likes, they will. I look forward to some hints, leaks of TS5 soon, but that is all probably wishful thinking. But I think Grant is really working on T55 and we will start to see more and more devs 'disappear' to go work on other Maxis projects. AKA TS5 or something.

Looking at the last several ideas and packs. SV, flop, MFP, flop, IL, flop, CL partly a flop, Mermaids as a creature feature, flop, none of these get high ratings from the actual people who play them.
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2019
    Cinebar wrote:
    What makes it so special it deserves more and more years. I can understand players wanting stuff like Univeristy or packs in previous versions but after five years I just don't see it's so great it should go on three more.

Yes, TS4 is "special" because of "weird" (it's euphemism, You can call it greed, mistake, wrong way...) strategy when they build expansions packs. Too much stuff packs, only 3 big expansions till June 2017 (and what expansions was that? 3 jobs, clubs and the city, maybe pretty but not much playable). No seasons, no animals - without it this game is not finished and I think, that they know it. People will be furious if they do not get what they had before, since part 1 (life simulator without weather or pets?).
    Someone up there kind of forgot, that they make computer game The Sims, not poor AutoCAD for pink girls and their moms.
    And it is cheaper and easier for them to make new expansions instead of build whole new game. :(
    Still waiting for University. If I do not get it, I'll go to USA and start protesting! :/ sell my old car and maybe get one way ticket and a decent hostel. :D
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Yes, do we know anyone who is jumping up and down waiting on that new stuff pack? From what I have read it's not something anyone really wants but they will take it, but it's nothing they wanted or like. Go figure. So, having to endure time and packs they or we don't want, while this game continues, all for the sake of going on three more years. And some just waiting and waiting on something like 'magic' that may not even be their vision of magic but another empty world with not much to do. Looking at mermaids, it's time to end this game.

ETA: Maybe they go back to their roots and Realm of Magic is the last pack, like Makin' Magic was for TS1? I doubt it, and if they can get a dime out of another stuff pack of clothes' brands no one actually likes, they will. I look forward to some hints, leaks of TS5 soon, but that is all probably wishful thinking. But I think Grant is really working on T55 and we will start to see more and more devs 'disappear' to go work on other Maxis projects. AKA TS5 or something.

Looking at the last several ideas and packs. SV, flop, MFP, flop, IL, flop, CL partly a flop, Mermaids as a creature feature, flop, none of these get high ratings from the actual people who play them.

I hope they finish off TS4 next year with University for those that want it, have it be the last expansion, and ramp up development of TS5.

The Sims 4’s base game is not deserving of lasting the longest. It has too many problems, starting with the whole online failure mess that plagued its whole development.

Hopefully the devs of TS5 will be given the homework of actually playing the earlier games to build the future of the series. It truly feels TS4 was mostly built by people who had no idea what The Sims is.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Sims 1 ended on a high note with Makin Magic, I loved that EP. It went out with a "bang". How is Sims 4 going to go out, I'd guess with a whimper.

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    How is this game suited for a younger audience more so then past sims games in the series? I would think that in today's society regardless if a game is to mature for a child to play they would play the game anyways. I don't think its the game that is being childish I think its parents letting their younger kids play mature games that they shouldn't be seeing. But they have seen since they are allowed to play games that they shouldn't.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Sims 4 jumped the shark. I like creating Sims better in 4 and I love to build in build mode but everything else is a miss even though I play Sims 4 and do like it. I am looking forward to Sims 5 and hopefully, it makes me feel like I don't need mods and CC and gives us everything Sims 4 is missing. Good gameplay without the use of mods and CC. Have the little things back. Have CAS get better from 4 and build have mode get better from 4. I want a fun game with meat on the bones where expansion, game and stuff packs are concerned. We pay way too much for too way too little.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    How is this game suited for a younger audience more so then past sims games in the series? I would think that in today's society regardless if a game is to mature for a child to play they would play the game anyways. I don't think its the game that is being childish I think its parents letting their younger kids play mature games that they shouldn't be seeing. But they have seen since they are allowed to play games that they shouldn't.

All the toilet humour. It’s got worse ten fold. Farting and burping on command and angry poops.
    Anything even slightly “naughty” has been removed. No “goose” interactions, romantic actions are toned down significantly. Compare sims 2 make out to sims 4 as an example.
    No bad things happening or rarely happening - the worst that happens is a house fire. An volcano eruption is a good thing that gives you things you can sell or collect.
    Burglars removed, no social worker, no repo man. Game is extremely easy to the point it’s impossible to fail - if your sim gets poisoned in the temple for example the game will nag you to cure yourself. Death is extremely hard to come by as is failure states in general.

One of the Gurus admitted they toned the game down due to “changing times”
    I agree parents let their kids play games that are too old for them, I think my Husband works on one of the worst offenders for young kids playing it, but I don’t think the sims 4 is a mature game.

I was a kid when sims 1 and 2 came out and I remember hoping my parents wouldn’t see any of the more “risqué” bits like for example the sims 2 woohoo cut scenes, my niece plays the sims 4 and she’s 11 and I am confident that there is nothing in the game that is inappropriate.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

All the toilet humour. It’s got worse ten fold. Farting and burping on command and angry poops.
    Anything even slightly “naughty” has been removed. No “goose” interactions, romantic actions are toned down significantly. Compare sims 2 make out to sims 4 as an example.
    No bad things happening or rarely happening - the worst that happens is a house fire. An volcano eruption is a good thing that gives you things you can sell or collect.
    Burglars removed, no social worker, no repo man. Game is extremely easy to the point it’s impossible to fail - if your sim gets poisoned in the temple for example the game will nag you to cure yourself. Death is extremely hard to come by as is failure states in general.

I agree parents let their kids play games that are too old for them, I think my Husband works on one of the worst offenders for young kids playing it, but I don’t think the sims 4 is a mature game.

I was a kid when sims 1 and 2 came out and I remember hoping my parents wouldn’t see any of the more “risqué” bits like for example the sims 2 woohoo cut scenes, my niece plays the sims 4 and she’s 11 and I am confident that there is nothing in the game that is inappropriate.

Sounds like that guru(s) are the ones out of touch.

There are no other franchises, absolutely none, I can think of that have toned down their game, let alone for the reasoning of “changing times.”
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited July 2019

I never said Sims 4 was a mature game but its rated for teen and up. It also depends on parents if they want them to play the game or not and it doesn't mean the game is suited for younger people it just seems that way because kids these days can play pretty much anything. I got my nieces playing the game before they were teens but there mom is cool about stuff.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

There are no other franchises, absolutely none, I can think of that have toned down their game, let alone for the reasoning of “changing times.”

I can’t argue there. I think they are. It’s now about telling the story “WE want to tell” according to the former executive producer. (We of course being them)

And yeah no other franchise that I play (and I play many) drastically tones their game down for those reasons.

I never said Sims 4 was a mature game but its rated for teen and up. It also depends on parents if they want them to play the game or not and it doesn't mean the game is suited for younger people it just seems that way because kids these days can play pretty much anything. I got my nieces playing the game before they were teens but there mom is cool about stuff.

Sims has always had that rating. Just In The previous games they really pushed the boundaries hard. Sims 1 and 2 had a vibrating bed, there is no way in hell that will ever be added to the sims 4 when one of the producers almost had kittens showing off lighthouse woohoo in a stream.

Parents should take responsibility for their children’s gaming activities. But the sims 4 is tame.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Thank you for saying that and you are right if they toned down COD or even Battlefield there may just be an revolt.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited July 2019
    It's on sale again at 60% off. Wasn't it free at the end of May? I checked Origin to see if the eps are on sale but didn't see any sale on those or the base but it's listed here as being on sale. I didn't click the find out more button though, I assumed on sale with Origin. But yet, another sale, lol, hurry, get those 35% increases since not many who have played love, love, love, IL. So, gotta get that 35% new players somewhere this month. :p;) I know, have another sale!

ETA: I checked, five EPs are on sale (and base) and stuff packs (some) but no IL on sale. There you go kids, if you got it free in May now you can add to your collection at cheap prices. As for me, I'm waiting to see TS5, so kids go ahead and buy some packs, cause they need money to build my TS5. :hushed:

Post edited by Cinebar on
    @Cinebar It’s on sale again? Lol they just had a sale not that long ago but it Was after the free week. Also notice the console version is also on sale again.

I wish I had your optimism about Sims 5!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    I never understand the the "sims4 is rated T for Teen argument" whenever people are asking for stuff. Because if you go by the ESRB ratings, here are some other games that are rated T for Teen: Fortnite, Destiny 2, Overwatch and Apex Legends. All are games where you run around and shoot people, but as soon as we start asking for stuff like more ways for our sims to die, then it is suddenly "because the game is T for teen".
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top