Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just to be clear, custom skin overlays break tanning or sunburns, correct?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
So I just wanted to be clear on something because I haven't tested it myself, using a custom skin OVERLAY breaks tanning because tanning itself is an overlay correct? Kind of like how a skin overlay breaks aging to faces?

Also I noticed they've commented that custom skins (not overlays) partially work with tanning - so does that basically mean if I want my sims to tan, I need to use a custom skin or basic EA skin? But not an overlay?

If thats true, thats too bad I really like the custom overlays because it allows me to use custom skins and custom colors which I prefer over total skin replacements.

However on the plus side I've noticed using custom skin overlays fixes custom skin color issues some people have reported, so if this is the case thats one good thing I guess.

Comments

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    it's the other way round. Skin overlays work but skintones do not.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    The overlay I'm using works beautifully with the tanning/burning system, so no - some may, but not all. If you want to know which one I'm using, let me know and I'll link it later. (I'd link now but I'm not on my Simming computer and I can't remember off the top of my head what it's called.)
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited July 2019
    Moving this one to the mods general discussion section - please, use the mods section in the future when you want to ask about mods.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am using Luumia's Vanilla default overlay an my sims tan beautifully.
    I am using Luumia's Vanilla default overlay an my sims tan beautifully.

I think that's a skin replacement, rather than an overlay, isn't it?
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Oh really? Thats unexpected but good news, although I'm confused how aging overlays work then. Are they not an overlay and an actually skin?
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Oh really? Thats unexpected but good news, although I'm confused how aging overlays work then. Are they not an overlay and an actually skin?

I'm not sure what you mean by aging overlays - cc wrinkles in the skin details category in CAS?
    edited July 2019

I'm not sure what you mean by aging overlays - cc wrinkles in the skin details category in CAS?

Ok so for example when you remove all skin overlays and other any CC/stuff in skin details and then take a sim, age them up from teen, then to young adult, adult - all three have different shadings on their cheeks and face to give them a slightly different appearance per age. I don't mean the optional wrinkles or cc, but overlays the game applies automatically for different life stages.

Almost any skin overlay (and obviously skin replacement) completely breaks these aging overlays and thats actually why i thought a skin overlay would break the tanning too.

This is actually the one thing I don't like about using overlays or CC is my sims basically look the same age because CC always prevent the Maxis age shading/overlay from applying.
    The one I use doesn't break the aging overlays, although it does lessen their effects slightly - but I can still tell my Sims are young adults, adults and elders.
    The one I use doesn't break the aging overlays, although it does lessen their effects slightly - but I can still tell my Sims are young adults, adults and elders.

Thats interesting, so far every skin overlay I've tried completely overshadows the aging effects and I've tried SOOO many. Which are you using if you mind me asking?

Thats interesting, so far every skin overlay I've tried completely overshadows the aging effects and I've tried SOOO many. Which are you using if you mind me asking?

I'm using Grazeness Soft Fairy (the two at the bottom in the 'Skins' section, one for females, one for males). It's for teens onwards. No pics on their site, but if you Google images 'Grazeness Soft Fairy', you'll see what it's like. I like it because it doesn't flatten out or change the shape of my Sims' features like a lot of the really matte ones do. My avi is wearing it, as are most of the Sims in the various screenshots I've posted for the last few years. It's an old overlay, but cc-breaking-patch after patch, it remains functioning. So far :)

https://sycas.tumblr.com/graveyard
    edited July 2019

I'm using Grazeness Soft Fairy (the two at the bottom in the 'Skins' section, one for females, one for males). It's for teens onwards. No pics on their site, but if you Google images 'Grazeness Soft Fairy', you'll see what it's like. I like it because it doesn't flatten out or change the shape of my Sims' features like a lot of the really matte ones do. My avi is wearing it, as are most of the Sims in the various screenshots I've posted for the last few years. It's an old overlay, but cc-breaking-patch after patch, it remains functioning. So far :)

https://sycas.tumblr.com/graveyard

Thanks for the link, I actually really like that skin overlay BUT I really wish the creator hadn't put that line of freckles across the bridge of the nose. I didn't notice it until they tan and I don't mind it overall, until they tanned and because of its placement it ages the sims face and makes them look old.

I'm not sure why he/she added such a defining personal feature to a skin unless it was meant for a specific sim! I wish there was a way to turn it off and I'd probably go for it.

Also I've never seen this creator before or a tumblr with such a barren...tumblr lol...

I wonder how hard it would be to remove those freckles...
    Ok so after some screenshot testing, yes my original overlay sims DO tan which is great!

However I really like the soft fairy, however I'd really love to find a version without the freckle bridge, tan or now tan I've noticed in screenshots it really effects the contours of sims faces and makes them look "harder" because it creates the impression of cheek lines, ect (making them look older). If that didn't exist I'd love this skin and I like it enough to see if somebody has already removed it OR try it myself. Which is annoying because he would have literally just applied an overlay for it meaning it would have been easy to have a non freckled version too.
    Hmm...this might not be so hard to remove freckles, I did a bit of searching and if I follow basic photoshop tutorials for removing freckles it might work on a sim skin....i also emailed the creator and asked if they had an alternative version but I don't expect to see or hear them them anytime soon as their tumblr looks dead.
    Hmm...this might not be so hard to remove freckles, I did a bit of searching and if I follow basic photoshop tutorials for removing freckles it might work on a sim skin....i also emailed the creator and asked if they had an alternative version but I don't expect to see or hear them them anytime soon as their tumblr looks dead.

Let me know how it goes. I honestly didn't even notice the freckles until you mentioned it - maybe it's because I'm a freckly person myself and have developed some sort of freckle blindness :D
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I love the fairy skins and thanks for the link! I don't mind freckles either, me too having them so I guess I'm freckle blind also, lol.

I use RemusSiris' on TSR's skin overlays and was surprised and shocked that the fairy skins are so low in MBs. I'm hoping I will like these skins well enough that I can delete Remus skins from my poor, buldging mods folder. His range in the 8-10 MB range.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.

Let me know how it goes. I honestly didn't even notice the freckles until you mentioned it - maybe it's because I'm a freckly person myself and have developed some sort of freckle blindness :D
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I love the fairy skins and thanks for the link! I don't mind freckles either, me too having them so I guess I'm freckle blind also, lol.

I'm actually a sucker for freckles myself in RL and have a ton I use for CC in S4. Including some freckle specific skins I liked - however this is not the same.

This creator didn't make them very well, they are too defined as a skin pattern, like each sim has the same tattoo pattern over their nose. From a distance it forms a solid line and ages the face because it looks less like freckles from a distance. Try removing the overlay and take a screenshot of the sim in game for example and you'll see the difference/how it divides the face. Anyway if I manage to fix it then I'll post a update.