Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ways/Places to fish on the Island

I'm not seeing many fishing signs on the island. There should be some way to fish off piers - right? Are there any ways to fish I am missing?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited July 2019
    There’s at least one fishing spot In every neighborhood and the traps (they don’t work for me though, I never catch anything).
    You can also click on a scuba diving buoy and you’ll get the option to go spearfishing underwater.
    There’s also an option to go fishing with the canoes.
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    @Dianesims - thanks for the canoe and buoy tip - I'll try that. Still need more fishing spots. I wish I could fish off my deck.
    edited July 2019
    It’s the red buoys that are in deeper water. You need to click on them then “buy scuba diving tools” and then buy a spearfishing gun.

And I agree I’d like to fish from my deck too.
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    @Dianesims - thanks for the canoe and buoy tip - I'll try that. Still need more fishing spots. I wish I could fish off my deck.

@Dianesims - there is a "fishing chair" from the camping pack - any chance that is an actual chair for fishing. If not - that would be great to have.
    Nope, it’s just a regular chair.
    @Dianesims - there is a "fishing chair" from the camping pack - any chance that is an actual chair for fishing. If not - that would be great to have.

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Shame the fishing nets don't seem to be working.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited July 2019

Are you talking about the traps? Those work fantastic for my Sim living on Key Point, the empty island lot in Mua Pel'am. She has three and rakes in between 2-5K simoleons worth of fish/treasure/trash every 24 hrs. or so. I've found the trick is you have to watch them like a hawk when it's been close to 24 hrs. since you set them.

Once you see the fish thrashing around in them and kicking up a lot of water, the traps are full to the brim. Also, don't put them near to shore, you won't get much there. They need to be in medium to deep water. Fara baits them with fish worth around 10-20 simoleons, but she was doing fairly well just baiting with plantains as well.

Fishing is also great for those trying to clean up the Island, your Sim will get points for releasing illegal fish they catch, seaweed, logs and invasive species of fish such as goldfish. It's a win-win situation.

@simstr0ng Fara uses the fishing spot located on her island lot. There's also a fishing spot (might be two) over by the abandoned boat. You've probably already seen it, but I know there's a net surrounding a fishing spot at the end of a pier in Ohan'ali Town near the bar as well.

I don't know much about any other areas, Fara pretty much sticks to Mua Pel'am and visits the bar now and then hoping for a special event/festival to pop up next door while she's there. I agree it would be cool if our Sims could fish off a pier we've built on their lot. I don't know why they can't really since they can fish anywhere from a canoe.

Hmm, I wonder if you put a fishing sign found in debug by using the showhiddenobjects cheat at the end of your pier, perhaps your Sim could fish from there then? Now I'm curious, I'm going to try it when I go in game soon tonight. :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »

Are you talking about the traps? Those work fantastic for my Sim living on Key Point, the empty island lot in Mua Pel'am. She has three and rakes in between 2-5K simoleons worth of fish/treasure/trash every 24 hrs. or so. I've found the trick is you have to watch them like a hawk when it's been close to 24 hrs. since you set them.

Once you see the fish thrashing around in them and kicking up a lot of water, the traps are full to the brim. Also, don't put them near to shore, you won't get much there. They need to be in medium to deep water. Fara baits them with fish worth around 10-20 simoleons, but she was doing fairly well just baiting with plantains as well.

Fishing is also great for those trying to clean up the Island, your Sim will get points for releasing illegal fish they catch, seaweed, logs and invasive species of fish such as goldfish. It's a win-win situation.

@simstr0ng Fara uses the fishing spot located on her island lot. There's also a fishing spot (might be two) over by the abandoned boat. You've probably already seen it, but I know there's a net surrounding a fishing spot at the end of a pier in Ohan'ali Town near the bar as well.

I don't know much about any other areas, Fara pretty much sticks to Mua Pel'am and visits the bar now and then hoping for a special event/festival to pop up next door while she's there. I agree it would be cool if our Sims could fish off a pier we've built on their lot. I don't know why they can't really since they can fish anywhere from a canoe.

Hmm, I wonder if you put a fishing sign found in debug by using the showhiddenobjects cheat at the end of your pier, perhaps your Sim could fish from there then? Now I'm curious, I'm going to try it when I go in game soon tonight. :)

Yes I meant traps but there is a net at one premade location and I've heard it doesn't catch fish.
    edited July 2019
    @catloverplayer Ah, okay. Well, I've tried that net at the premade location and it did work for my Sim. But, all she caught was small, base game fish there. To be fair, she was at a low level in fishing at the time though.

@simstr0ng Good news! Placing a fishing sign at the end of a player made pier works! Sort've... When I first clicked on the sign my Sim did indeed start fishing and it looked like this:

C74duGo.png

She even caught a Leopard shark!

q5ib8Wy.png

But, then I noticed something. The fish are floating in the air. The only fish actually IN the water were the ones diving down to disappear.

8EBJig7.png
    OTnrOwp.png

So it works, but it looks weird from the side. I also had to remove her ladder and fencing at the end of the pier. To make it look realistic, your pier would need to be at the water's edge and that would just defeat the purpose of having a pier, might as well just place the fishing sign in the sand on the water's edge in that case. But if you don't care how it 'looks', it works. :)

This was just a quick experiment though to see if it would work. Perhaps if you fiddle around with placement of your pier and the sign it would work better? *shrugs* I might do that and see what I can figure out to make the fish actually be IN the water instead of float/flying in the air above it. lol

Happy Simming! <3

*Note - It was night when I tried this, so I had to take the screenshots in build mode so I could change the time to daylight hours. That's why you're seeing the build mode white line. Man, I wish we could change the time of day in live mode sometimes for screenshots. Oh well...
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member

Yes I meant traps but there is a net at one premade location and I've heard it doesn't catch fish.

The traps don’t work off lot so you must stay in that neighborhood for 24 hours or they won’t catch any fish.
    edited July 2019
    The traps don't work for me. I see swirls in water around the traps but it says there's nothing in it. As for the giant net, my sims can fish there, but the net itself doesn't catch anything.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

I can never get the fish traps to work unfortunately. It always tells me it's partially full, which either way I can't seem to be able to collect anything, and then all of a sudden I need to set them up again :\
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I can never get the fish traps to work unfortunately. It always tells me it's partially full, which either way I can't seem to be able to collect anything, and then all of a sudden I need to set them up again :\

Most times I have to click Empty trap twice because some times the first one doesn't work. The traps also lose their bait if your sim travels, so you have to set them again. I've lost quite a few catches to that, and of course I forget to empty them within 24 hours, and that also "resets" them.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I still haven't figured out how to get the sims to fish in the boat. I've tried several things, but I kept getting a message about not being able to do that while the boat is moving? (Even though the boat was completely still at the time.) How is it supposed to work?
    @Amapola76 - yes, the boat must be still. Then just click on the boat and go fish.

@Karababy52 - how did you move the fishing sign?
    I guess they got the fishing sign from debug mode.
    @Amapola76 - yes, the boat must be still. Then just click on the boat and go fish.

Yes, but as I said, I've received that message several times when the boat WAS still.

edited July 2019

@simstr0ng As mentioned by @Dianesims I used an Island Living fishing sign found by using bb.showhiddenobjects to access the debug objects. I placed it by using the bb.moveobjects cheat, if that's what you meant by moving it! :)

Also, I'm guessing what everyone says about the fishing traps not working if you leave your home lot is true. I don't know for sure though because Fara has never tried trapping other than offshore from her home lot and she doesn't leave Mua Pel'am very often. I believe y'all, but I might do another experiment myself just to satisfy my curiosity and appease my stubborn way of needing to see how things work in the game for myself. :)
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member

@simstr0ng As mentioned by @Dianesims I used an Island Living fishing sign found by using bb.showhiddenobjects to access the debug objects. I placed it by using the bb.moveobjects cheat, if that's what you meant by moving it! :)

Also, I'm guessing what everyone says about the fishing traps not working if you leave your home lot is true. I don't know for sure though because Fara has never tried trapping other than offshore from her home lot and she doesn't leave Mua Pel'am very often. I believe y'all, but I might do another experiment myself just to satisfy my curiosity and appease my stubborn way of needing to see how things work in the game for myself. :)

Hmmm I live in Mua Pel’am too and my sim travels frequently to the main town area in Sulani. I have still had zero issues with traps getting completely full of fish. Might be a location issue I don’t know I’ve yet to try them elsewhere.
    edited July 2019
    My Sims don’t live I’m Mua Pel’am, but the traps finally worked, I just hadn’t figured I needed to wait 24(sim)h and not leave the lot. My sim works as a fisherman, is level 9 for the fishing skill, and a Mermaid (Yeah I feel very bad too).
    edited July 2019
    Once the trap is actually full, which option do you choose to collect the fish/treasures? I know it's not "Release the fish" but I've tried all of the others, and nothing ever shows up in my inventory. (I.e., I select "Check the Trap" and get a notification that it's full, and then there are about four options when I click the trap, but I've tried all of them, and so far, none has worked for me.) I've looked on Carl's Guide, and elsewhere, and no one seems to actually show/discuss which option you are supposed to choose.

I also still don't understand what's up with fishing on the canoe. I've tried sitting on it and lounging on it, and when it even shows up, the fish option is always greyed out, supposedly because the boat is moving, even though it's not.
  • ZzMANzZZzMANzZ Posts: 72 Member
    I have not been able to locate any information. Is there any way to cook and eat the fish you catch?
  • Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    ZzMANzZ wrote: »
    I have not been able to locate any information. Is there any way to cook and eat the fish you catch?

Once you've caught it, it is in your inventory. You can then either place it in the fridge (choose "open" and then drag the items from your inventory that show underneath the fridge's contents into it), or simply have the Sim choose a dish from the options that contains fish. There are specific dishes that require specific fish, others require just any fish.
    @Amapola76 - for the fish trap choose "empty" and you should see a list of what was in the trap in the notes (upper right corner) and the items appear in the inventory of the person who emptied the trap.

Sorry you are still having problems fishing from the canoe. Just clicking on the canoe should give you the fish option. Has your Sim ever fished before? Perhaps the Sim must do that at a regular fishing spot first...I'm at a loss for ideas why it does not work for you.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @ZzMANzZ to add onto what @Rhiannon1307 answered, I’ve noticed when using the campfire to roast fish, it will pull a fish from either the sim’s inventory or the fridge. You can’t control which fish it pulls, even if your sim has a fish in their inventory at the time, I’ve had it get pulled from the fridge instead. Maybe it has to do with the quality or freshness, I don’t know.