The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited July 2019
    SpecialKH wrote: »
    > @FreezerBunnyCowplant said:
    > Pegasys wrote: »
    >
    > With anticipation and delight I returned to play Sims 4 with Island Living. Only to find myself bored after one or two days playing. This shouldn't happen with an expansion.
    >
    > So, I decided to go back to play Sims 2. (I thought I couldn't go back to play that game, but I was wrong.) Maybe it was a mistake, because the gameplay in Sims 2 is SO GOOD. It is challenging, and there are numerous surprises (both negative and positive).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think I just realized why Sims 4 isn‘t as good as the previous games.
    > There isn‘t challenging gameplay, everything comes to you easily.
    > Also there will be no surprises, nothing that changes up your story. For example a burglar breaking in or meteor/ satellite deaths.
    > Everything is planned, like earthquakes only happen on a lot with the lot trait, why would I select something negative? Why can’t it happen at random without the lot trait? Would be much more fun IF it happens

Same with bugs - why choose creepy crawlies for a lot trait? It's more fun for them to show up when the place is dirty.

I imagine the creepy crawlies are lot traits like earthquake and volcano lot is to stop people complaining. If it’s a lot trait it’s a choice. If it was mandatory or happened through events in game like roaches in the sims 1 & 2, some people would complain.
    Although I find them all quite disappointing. The volcano lot trait if anything gives you an advantage as you get elements in the lava rocks, there is no danger. The other two lot traits just give your sims a tense moodlet. There’s no consequence. It’s a gimmick at best.

The whole lot trait system doesn‘t make sense and seems half-baked. Why can you have volcanic activity in a world like San Myshuno where there are no volcanos around?

Or the fact that stuff like Cat Hangout affects the whole neighborhood but only while you‘ve loaded that one lot, but not on the others. Doesn‘t make sense.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Patrick Kelly was one of the UI Designers who worked on The Sims Olympus back when it was still in development and he took part in several interviews, including one over on Mod The Sims with the community I believe (it's very difficult to find things pertaining to him as most of his information has been scrubbed from the web, such as portfolios and business related accounts) but he shared several things during these interviews that are still around. In his own words:

abjes6.png

Honeywell's Sims 4 News Blog also documented an email that he shared with a community member. The quality is terrible as the higher resolution version is gone, but I'll include it anyway and then a transcript of the interesting segments.

i3s2ol.jpg

From what I've been told, the game is a mess, the studio is a mess, and people are so frustrated they are about to revolt. Making games isn't as glamorous as people think, in fact its pretty cut-throat, but the current generation of Sims designers are taking it to another level.

The most obvious clue that they are scrambling now is the inexplicably boring Sims 4 logo, which looks like it was created in under a minute and designed by a committee of clueless producers.

But believe me if EA could keep this stuff under-wraps, they would. There's some reason they're letting this stuff out now, probably to distance themselves for a design they wasted 3 years developing but no one really liked.

When you get former staff members saying things like this it isn't exactly a pretty picture. He did however say over in the Mod The Sims Q&A that he enjoyed working for the company and that there's a lot of great people there.
    For good measure, engineer Gil Colgate confirmed The Sims 4 was definitely an online experience at one stage.

nfr2hk.jpg

The only issue comes from determining when it shifted to offline. Patrick said elsewhere that it was due to the internet requirements reducing the quality of the game and so they dropped the online functionality fairly early on, but a few other employees and PR folks said it was changed in the wake of SimCity's disaster of a launch. It would be far worse in the SimCity case, as that would have left little time to make changes, and the game's engine was changed to accommodate the new look that 4 ended up with.

This explains why this game is the way it is, and why it launched the way it did. I personally can't believe EA is trying to make TS5 an online experience again.....if they even are that is, since there's no actual proof of it so far.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @Cinebar
    On the topic of re used animations I checked and the play in the waterfall animation is the exact same as play in fountain.

Also forgot to mention that the bonfire and bonfire dance is the same bonfire and the same dance from Get Together so during one of the “ cultural festivals” the sims of Sulani are performing the same dance as the locals in Windenburg.

But remember Sulani is a very cultural place. Apparently. same nonsense different set dressing more like Obviously must be close to Windenburg in spite of the fact that Windenburg is inspired by Europe? Great logic there.

As I write this I’m watching a sim “dive” whilst shark fins swim by. Ooh my Sim is tense. The drama. Well I’ll assume he’s tense as I can’t actually see him. This is like the tenth shark encounter in a sim week. Animal Crossing is more dangerous than this.

edited July 2019
    @Cinebar
    On the topic of re used animations I checked and the play in the waterfall animation is the exact same as play in fountain.

Also forgot to mention that the bonfire and bonfire dance is the same bonfire and the same dance from Get Together so during one of the “ cultural festivals” the sims of Sulani are performing the same dance as the locals in Windenburg.

But remember Sulani is a very cultural place. Apparently. same nonsense different set dressing more like Obviously must be close to Windenburg in spite of the fact that Windenburg is inspired by Europe? Great logic there.

As I write this I’m watching a sim “dive” whilst shark fins swim by. Ooh my Sim is tense. The drama. Well I’ll assume he’s tense as I can’t actually see him. This is like the tenth shark encounter in a sim week. Animal Crossing is more dangerous than this.

The bonfires are exact duplicates of the ones from GT (which includes the fire dance animation/interaction.) with no new interactions added.

The waterfall uses animations from the fountain from Romantic Garden Stuff, and the woohoo is the same animation from the leaf piles of Seasons with new FX.

The activism career re-uses the GTW scientist career animations for the flasks and the detective career's photography animations.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2019
    The content they are making for the sims4 feels so limited, it feels like it has been designed to use as little resources as possible. I think it is a pity that a game that has so much potential seems to get no development resources to make something interesting or better than their previous games. Basically, if they can use something that is already in the game, they will.

It is almost as if they have been told to make content for the game for as little resources as possible. I can only hope that EA's budget goes towards making a game that will give them more options and more freedom when it comes to making content and will add those features that people have asked for the sims4, like cars, hotels, deep diving, better personalities and more gameplay.

I think development for any major features have stopped for the sims4 (they probably do not have many developers working on it or a very small team), but they are still making content for it. This is why we are seeing so many reused animations and rabbit holes.

edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »
    The content they are making for the sims4 feels so limited, it feels like it has been designed to use as little resources as possible. I think it is a pity that a game that has so much potential seems to get no development resources to make something interesting or better than their previous games. Basically, if they can use something that is already in the game, they will.

It is almost as if they have been told to make content for the game for as little resources as possible. I can only hope that EA's budget goes towards making a game that will give them more options and more freedom when it comes to making content and will add those features that people have asked for the sims4, like cars, hotels, deep diving, better personalities and more gameplay.

I think development for any major features have stopped for the sims4 (they probably do not have many developers working on it or a very small team), but they are still making content for it. This is why we are seeing so many reused animations and rabbit holes.

They have probably moved developers away to work for TS5. TS4 is now a 5 year old game....it's just filler content now until we get the new shining game that will probably have even less depth than TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @Cinebar

The bonfires are exact duplicates of the ones from GT (which includes the fire dance animation/interaction.) with no new interactions added.

The waterfall uses animations from the fountain from Romantic Garden Stuff, and the woohoo is the same animation from the leaf piles of Seasons with new FX.

The activism career re-uses the GTW scientist career animations for the flasks and the detective career's photography animations.

And, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to re-use animations when it makes sense, but add new ones too! Don't advertise these things (like Sulani's culture), as main features when you didn't put any real effort into them. They aren't new at all, they don't include any new animations/interactions! None of Sulani's cultural things are unique, they are all copy pasted. And the locals don't even autonomously use the BBQ pit in the luau event which is the only actual new thing.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    iNikkiBear wrote: »
    I personally agree and disagree at the same time. My favorite game is the Sims 2, just because of the depth and surprises that came out of the game play! Sims 4 is my second favorite. I think every edition of the game has added something different. I personally bought the S4 after they added pools and toddlers. Still seem ridiculous saying that they released the game like that. Sims 2 realllly focused on game play. S3 no loading screen was TOPS but I hated the CAS- my sims always looked kinda of chunky in the face not matter how much CC I put on them lol. S4, the CAS is unmatched- but I think they are really lacking in gameplay. Don't get me wrong the emotions thing really grabbed my attention- but it is soooo easy to alter them. Drink a tea, get inspired. Take a shower, now I'm flirty. Just doesn't seem realistic IMO.
    This topic isn’t about CAS, which by the way is useless to me because I don’t like the art style. Gimme chunky.

2198599_orig.png

CAS is less amazing than people claim it is by the way. It’s a couple of default faces and sliders.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • zanyshanezanyshane Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I personally agree and disagree at the same time. My favorite game is the Sims 2, just because of the depth and surprises that came out of the game play! Sims 4 is my second favorite. I think every edition of the game has added something different. I personally bought the S4 after they added pools and toddlers. Still seem ridiculous saying that they released the game like that. Sims 2 realllly focused on game play. S3 no loading screen was TOPS but I hated the CAS- my sims always looked kinda of chunky in the face not matter how much CC I put on them lol. S4, the CAS is unmatched- but I think they are really lacking in gameplay. Don't get me wrong the emotions thing really grabbed my attention- but it is soooo easy to alter them. Drink a tea, get inspired. Take a shower, now I'm flirty. Just doesn't seem realistic IMO.
    This topic isn’t about CAS, which by the way is useless to me because I don’t like the art style. Gimme chunky.

2198599_orig.png

CAS is less amazing than people claim it is by the way. It’s a couple of default faces and sliders.

Yes, but even if they are sliders you can still use your mouse to sculpt them like clay (more or less)! Also, the face detail edit mode is pretty cool and more intuitive to my mouse movements than I ever expected.

Granted, I think I'm satisfied by TS2 & TS3's CAS features, so it is not a marvel in comparison.
    edited July 2019

They have probably moved developers away to work for TS5. TS4 is now a 5 year old game....it's just filler content now until we get the new shining game that will probably have even less depth than TS4.
    I don’t have IL, but from what I’ve seen I’m beginning to get the impression that set dressing has really become the focus. Make it look awesome, the rest is a side issue. So I wouldn’t be surprised the team working on the game now mainly contain set dressers/designers.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2019
    @Cinebar

OMG, the more we advance in technologies the less & polished things we get with EA. Fortunately not every companies are like that.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

Yep, hope all that money goes into The Sims 5.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2019
    Instead of making a sims 5 they should fix and improve the sims 2 3 and 4 it'll be more bankable than recreating an other x games everybody will cry for and everybody won't be satisfied because of the bugs etc.

And I don't want to see the sims 4 to an end for now we need so much stuffs to enjoy !

Oh, what I wouldn't do if TS3 were given a 64-bit executable with a subsequent update in graphics fidelity!

The Sims 3 game is darn near close to everything that I want in a Sims game -- a working world with its own municipal infrastructure and community and a myriad of activities and places to visit. As well, my game doesn't look like anyone else's game because everything is completely customizable.

As far as I'm concerned, insufficient memory was the game's greatest limitation. If not for that, every time that my Sims visited a different world, I wouldn't have to go through the game files, deleting extraneous material so that the game could save properly. I also wouldn't have to constantly weed and rotate my CAS and build/buy files, according to save.

If EA went back and gave TS3 that huge boon, I wouldn't bother looking at TS4 again. Nor would I spend time speculating about or hoping for a new TS game that could be better than the present one.

If only. The only thing that would make me happier is if TS 3 Sims could have TS2 Sims' personalities and incredible depth of emotion and responsiveness to any given situation.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I think newer players getting into or at least reading about the older games will help to understand the frustration of us players who player the previous games. In one of my earlier posts I had planned to say something but cut it out at the last minute to make a shorter post but I think it applies here:

You can go around the forums and read or ask what players of 1, 2 and 3 think are the best features the game provides. Even if you never experienced it for yourself for whatever reason and just imagine a well functioning Sims game that does not just the best from all 3 games but even other things that few or none of us thought about before and it does it better. Then ask why we wouldn't or shouldn't expect even close to that of a game they decided to tack the number 4 on the end of. Then follow that up by repeating the imagining process with all 4 games and ask yourself why we wouldn't or shouldn't expect even close to that of a game they're likely going to tack a 5 on the end of.

Though honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to "reboot" the series and call it The Sims as an excuse to reason how we shouldn't have any expectations while still using The Sims 1-4 to try to reel us in. No changing of their ways. Just a "new" game with the same treatment.

Didn't they kind of do that with TS4 though?

Yes. All but naming The Sims 4 just The Sims. Then tell us we shouldn't compare while also telling or implying to us that what they've done now is better than things they've done before. :unamused:

They could've, and I wish they would've handled things a lot better than what they did in the beginning. I think a lot of the divisiveness got started there and because of something @Cinebar actually brought up a while back in another thread. They blurred the line between customer and company (sometimes I wonder if purposefully) and because of that I think there are those who feel more like they're friends with the devs instead of their customers. And those of us who criticize are like bullies who they have to help defend their friend from. Or like haters that they have to defend their favorite celeb from.

They're employees making a product. They're the creators of the product. They seem like nice people, their pets are adorable, some of them have tastes I question like the gummy bears in ice-cream thing for example (which I won't knock it cause I haven't tried it), but they're still the developers of the game and we're still customers of the game they develop. And if as a player of that game you have a problem with something that has or hasn't been done you should be able to voice it as freely as you should be able to voice your happiness with it.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    @Cinebar

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that, at this point, new features are greenlit according to how many existing animations can be reused. If a feature requires too many new animations, it gets nixed or rabbit-holed, a la scuba diving. New animations are parceled out like gold coins when there's no feasible way around it.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    All games re-use animations - it is part of making games.

That is so far from the point. Of course they are going to cut costs and repurpose completed work where it makes sense, but this pack has a plethora of “new features” that are literally just ripped from other DLC. Wouldn’t be a big deal if this was a gameplay heavy pack, with lots of new stuff to offset the noticeably copied stuff - but that’s not the case. This pack is incredibly light on gameplay, even when you consider all of the things they ripped from other DLC it’s STILL light on gameplay.

I certainly believe the GP rumor seeing how little actual work they put into the new game features. Copy/Paste is NOT quality work and IS NOT worth a $40 price tag - ever. I wonder if the reason they copy/paste SO MUCH is because they lost everyone who knows how to work on this game. The last handful of packs certainly have not expanded the game very much.

Exactly! Not to mention they are advertising recycled gameplay as new features aka:

"Engage in Local Culture Tradition runs deep on Sulani, and your Sims get to experience everything it has to offer. Immerse Sims in their newfound lifestyle by attending a pit barbecue event, learning about local folklore, tasting tropical delicacies and chatting with ancestors from the island. "

Also what local folklore are they talking about? There's none of that in the actual EP. And in the BBQ event NPC sims don't even use the BBQ. They just fire dance near the bonfire.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2019
    Just took a look at recent job listings from Maxis and found this from a little while back.

33fdxub.png
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    edited July 2019
    Just took a look at recent job listings from Maxis and found this from a little while back.

33fdxub.png

We know it's coming. Just not when or how it'll be. ;)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

That is so far from the point. Of course they are going to cut costs and repurpose completed work where it makes sense, but this pack has a plethora of “new features” that are literally just ripped from other DLC. Wouldn’t be a big deal if this was a gameplay heavy pack, with lots of new stuff to offset the noticeably copied stuff - but that’s not the case. This pack is incredibly light on gameplay, even when you consider all of the things they ripped from other DLC it’s STILL light on gameplay.

I certainly believe the GP rumor seeing how little actual work they put into the new game features. Copy/Paste is NOT quality work and IS NOT worth a $40 price tag - ever. I wonder if the reason they copy/paste SO MUCH is because they lost everyone who knows how to work on this game. The last handful of packs certainly have not expanded the game very much.

Exactly! Not to mention they are advertising recycled gameplay as new features aka:

"Engage in Local Culture Tradition runs deep on Sulani, and your Sims get to experience everything it has to offer. Immerse Sims in their newfound lifestyle by attending a pit barbecue event, learning about local folklore, tasting tropical delicacies and chatting with ancestors from the island. "

Also what local folklore are they talking about? There's none of that in the actual EP. And in the BBQ event NPC sims don't even use the BBQ. They just fire dance near the bonfire.

Culture to EA is a change of clothes, mixing up the name generator and adding in some new food. It’s aesthetic only. The fact is Sulani locals behave the exact same as locals in Windenburg or Willow Creek.
    edited July 2019
    zanyshane wrote: »

2198599_orig.png

Yes, but even if they are sliders you can still use your mouse to sculpt them like clay (more or less)! Also, the face detail edit mode is pretty cool and more intuitive to my mouse movements than I ever expected.

Granted, I think I'm satisfied by TS2 & TS3's CAS features, so it is not a marvel in comparison.
    The only advantage is that you can directly adjust a face and indeed, that’s more intuitive and it’s an improvement that you can do every part of the face at once (partly, there are of course different functions zoomed out or zoomed in). It’s not like clay though, that’s an illusion. It’s sliders. I’m fine with both systems tbh. To tell you the truth I think the creating a sim could be so much better than it is in 2, 3 ánd 4. But again, that’s not the subject here and yet somehow it always seems to enter the discussion.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited July 2019

Culture to EA is a change of clothes, mixing up the name generator and adding in some new food. It’s aesthetic only. The fact is Sulani locals behave the exact same as locals in Windenburg or Willow Creek.

I mean, at least Jungle Adventure included the Selvadoradian skill, with new dancing and....I don't what else tbh xD They re-used the GT Windenburg greeting there too. But at least there was new dancing lol Not even that in this EP.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

I mean, at least Jungle Adventure included the Selvadoradian skill, with new dancing and....I don't what else tbh xD They re-used the GT Windenburg greeting there too. But at least there was new dancing lol Not even that in this EP.

Yeah, IL is very short on everything it promised. My favorite part of the pack, oddly enough, is the one branch of the conservation job where you can enact policies that affect the entire world. Especially limiting power and such. My sim is such an eco fanatic! But I really can't think of anything else in the pack which is original.
    edited July 2019
    zanyshane wrote: »

2198599_orig.png

The only advantage is that you can directly adjust a face and indeed, that’s more intuitive and it’s an improvement that you can do every part of the face at once (partly, there are of course different functions zoomed out or zoomed in). It’s not like clay though, that’s an illusion. It’s sliders. I’m fine with both systems tbh. To tell you the truth I think the creating a sim could be so much better than it is in 2, 3 ánd 4. But again, that’s not the subject here and yet somehow it always seems to enter the discussion.

There are things in TS4 CAS that aren't as detailed as in TS3. You can't change the definition of nostrils in TS4, nor the definition of the lips, or the height of the ears in the face, and some other things. You have to confine yourself to the pre-existing bone structures you are given to be able to achieve that and then modify the rest. Which is a big flaw in my opinion.

But TS4 also has sliders TS3 misses, like eyebrow distance, pupil size, neck width, head size, and the body sliders.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I hope everyone took the survey and expressed their feelings about TS4 there. We all know how seriously EA takes customer satisfaction surveys.. Really though, If we want a Sims 5, the only way to get it, is to STOP buying packs for The Sims 4. They will keep on producing it, if we keep buying it.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top