Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the grid issues/suggestions

2...Next

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Simply put solar panels is a bit to modern for the Island but a wind mill would be perfect and a water well

The island is not primitive?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Vermatrix1 wrote: »
    Since technically "off the grid" would mean your house isn't connected to the same utility network that everyone else is using, wouldn't it be a good idea at this point to add solar panels like a lot of people wanted back when everyone was asking for some sort of eco pack? The sim's house would still fall into the off the grid definition while at the same time have access to most or all of the electronic devices in the game.

That's what most people said, but people spammed the voting and we got laundry instead.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I can’t even bring myself to try living off the grid, in the midst of all these issues. Did they not test this new “feature” in development?

Good in theory. Horrible execution.
  • Vermatrix1Vermatrix1 Posts: 35 Member
    > @superkyle221 said:
    > That's what most people said, but people spammed the voting and we got laundry instead.

Well, back when people were asking for a Eco pack, no one knew about the Island Living pack yet along with it's "off the grid" lot trait. Now, at least some of the idea would make sense. If you want a sim to live off the grid, their house could be powered by wind or solar which by definition would fill the "off the grid" requirement while at the same time allows the sim to utilize the stove, fridge, computer, lights, washer and dryer, all the other electronic devices.

Also, the whole clean energy aspect would fit in well with that pack's whole conservation theme
    There seem to be a weird mixup between "off the grid" as in eco friendly and "off the grid" as in primitive hiding from the government "

Actual off the grid really allows for both solar powered appliances, hi tech rainwater purification and plumbing, composting and reusing waste matter...

> @Beardedgeek said:
    > There seem to be a weird mixup between "off the grid" as in eco friendly and "off the grid" as in primitive hiding from the government "
    >
    > Actual off the grid really allows for both solar powered appliances, hi tech rainwater purification and plumbing, composting and reusing waste matter...

Well, based on every other aspect of the Island Living pack, the whole beach cleanup thing and conservationist career, it's safe to say, the pack has the more eco friendly side. Also even if they didn't want to deal with a whole stuff pack for solar panels and wind turbines and all, maybe they could do just a few things as part of a patch
  • Jaelk01Jaelk01 Posts: 113 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other things I haven't seen mentioned here.
    • The fire pit that comes with Island Living has five big meals that can keep you fed and raises the Cooking skill
    • The ICEBox Fridge, once upgraded (and under a roof, rookie mistake) works as well as most any other fridge.
    • The Antique stove gives 2 meals so you can get the Grilled Cheese Challenge. Not sure how to get Gourmet Cooking in that context.
    • I bought the cheapest laptop and went to the library to procure what I needed to get by parts and medicine wise. (Could be immersion breaking for some, for whatever reason not all options are available on the library computers. There is a table in the kids room that I could place a laptop on.)
    • Fishing got me started and gardening got me a decent Money plant so funds weren't an issue (after you get the 5k points).
    • Two residents formed a club to counteract the various +1 tense moodlets.
    • Lastly, it may be a bit of a departure from living "off the grid" but I got a store from the Gallery to sell my artifacts and there I got most of the other skills that are impossible to get "off the grid". Many you cannot use, but head out to a club and other places and you can get most everything else in the game.
    My starting load-out was a tent, cooler, fire-pit, basic trash bin, default mailbox, Cheapest laptop and an easel . (Used the gym until I got sorted).

Sorry if I repeated anything.
    Post edited by Jaelk01 on
    Jaelk01 wrote: »
    • The ICEBox Fridge, once upgraded (and under a roof, rookie mistake) works as well as most any other fridge.

But you can't upgrade it if you can't get the parts.
    edited July 2019
    Jaelk01 wrote: »

But you can't upgrade it if you can't get the parts.

Hence the Cheap Laptop, you can take it to the library (or any public lot with a flat surface really) and get the parts that way. As I said above, the computers in the Library didn't have the "Order" option (at least in my game) so I needed to get the laptop. You can also take your chances and leave the fridge out in the weather and repair it a few times when it breaks in the rain. Again, it may be a little immersion breaking but even the people off the grid "go to town" every so often for supplies.
  • GrouchoStarxGrouchoStarx Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi all--

I'm a new member, and seeing as I cannot create a new discussion, I figured this was probably the best place to post my query. I have the off-the-grid lot trait and have been living off the grid from the very beginning of my newest rags-to-riches game, many Sim weeks now (long enough to reach level 7 of the Conservationist career, Marine Biology branch). This evening as I sat down to play, a couple of Sim days into my playing session I received BILLS...on an OFF-THE-GRID LOT... I don't want to exit the game without saving because I don't want to lose my progress, but I also don't have the money to pay the bills--you know, those bills that I shouldn't have in the first place since I am off the grid... Should I consider this a 'bug' and report it to that corresponding thread? Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
    Groucho Starx
    (Long-lost cousin of Groucho Marx) <---joke
    Hi all--

I'm a new member, and seeing as I cannot create a new discussion, I figured this was probably the best place to post my query. I have the off-the-grid lot trait and have been living off the grid from the very beginning of my newest rags-to-riches game, many Sim weeks now (long enough to reach level 7 of the Conservationist career, Marine Biology branch). This evening as I sat down to play, a couple of Sim days into my playing session I received BILLS...on an OFF-THE-GRID LOT... I don't want to exit the game without saving because I don't want to lose my progress, but I also don't have the money to pay the bills--you know, those bills that I shouldn't have in the first place since I am off the grid... Should I consider this a 'bug' and report it to that corresponding thread? Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
    Groucho Starx

Sounds like a bug to me, don't think off the grid lots are supposed to have bills, though, since it may be awhile before it's fixed, I'd suggest just using a money cheat to get the money to pay it.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi all--

Sincerely,
    Groucho Starx

You can report this bug here -> https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Off-lot-Living-Sims-receive-bill/td-p/7956975
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

edited July 2019
    Hi all--

Sincerely,
    Groucho Starx

I kind of assumed that "Off-the-Grid" only worked for my primary home lot. Once I acquired ANY additional property bills showed up (like death and taxes). So if you have a store, restaurant or a clinic I would recommend that you assume you will need to pay utilities for those lots. I only started getting bills once I bought the non-Off the Grid Lot. (NB: I can't see how you'd run a store without power).
    Post edited by Jaelk01 on
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Technically, Solar panels, rain water purifiers, water mills, wood burning stoves, fire places, lanterns and candles are all off grid. Water mills and solar power is off the grid living for creating power in homes. There were many cabins and modern homes that were once used for specifically creating power in homes where modern wiring and plumbing could not be established at because it was too far out of city or county limits.

Though many off the grid homes in modern day use propane gas for hot water, cooking and heating their homes.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• deFafnyrdeFafnyr Posts: 10 New Member
    I'd be happy if the "ice box" fridge was actually an off grid "ice box" like my great grandmother used and let us assume we are purchasing or have the option to put the block of ice in it to keep food from spoiling. Between that, the off the grid sink and the off the grid oven, my kitchen would be set for a nice cabin in the woods "old-timey" feel.
  • CrystalCA1970CrystalCA1970 Posts: 7 New Member
    Writing by hand or using an old fashioned typewriter seems an obvious addition to the off-the-grid lifestyle. I'd love to see either of these options added.