Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we just talk about Chance Cards?

If you guys don't know what Chance Cards are and I'm not surprised if you don't, is a random event that happens when you're Sim is working or went to space. You have two choices, the good one and the bad one.
The problem with Chance Cards is that... they rarely appear.
I recently completed the whole business career with my new Sim and guess how many of these pop-ups did I get? Two, just two.
It's completely ridiculous, in my opinion, they should appear more often, atleast two or three times a week.
Maybe it's the RNG, maybe the devs can't think of new ones, but please, just add more of them, and make them appear more often, because they can really help you out or be a nuissance, which is preety cool, and it makes Jobs much more interesting, and as we know, jobs are generally not very interesting, I mean, it's the Sims, Jobs should be fun and not be like real life.

So tl;dr Chance Cards are good for the game and they should appear more often

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I seem to get a lot of chance cards. Last time I played I got the same for culinary career four times(!) Maybe you just had bad luck not getting them.
  • FifinezFifinez Posts: 59 Member
    My social media sim got the same one two days in a row... :joy:
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have had them several times with my 2 high school students. My Culinary and Criminal Sims seem to get them more often than my Business Sim. The only one I know I have seen for my Style Influencer is a choice to write a hard-hitting exposé or a fluff piece. I am new to TS4 as of about a month ago. If I have seen them this many times, they can't be all that rare. Do certain traits trigger them more than others? Or is it pure luck of the algorithms?
  • BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    I'm not sure if it's truly luck, but still, I think that increasing chances for them would be cool.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm tired of them to be honest. If you really love chance cards, buy Parenthood and manage a family of 5 children.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I don't particularly wish to have more regular chance cards. I find them rather annoying because they interrupt the gameplay, the effects are so small and they easily get repetitive. I miss the option to skip them like in TS2. On the other hand I'm a big fan of Get Famous chance cards because those can have a huge impact. One of my sims was level 7 on astronaut career and she quit because of a chance card and started over as a gardener.
    Yeah, I guess Chance Cards should have a bigger impact.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I hate the regular chance cards because they have random results. You could have a sim choose the same answer twice and get two separate results.
    See, I actually like that! It's a chance, either way. I was thrilled when I let my style influencer write a fluff piece, because he was feeling lazy that day, and it ended up bumping his overall performance into the promotion zone. It's far easier to actually play what my Sim would do when I can't be influenced by the outcome.
    Yeah, I guess that's true.
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    I agree, I think they could use some tweaking. More of them and more effects that actually have an impact on gameplay would be nice! (With a slight frequency boost for those of us who rarely get them)
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Only chance card I can think of that really makes THAT much of a difference is the one you can get during the Mixologist career involving the Snaggle Fluster drink recipe.
    Though that's also annoying because there's only one option in that chance card that can actually end with your Sim learning the recipe, and that's buying the drink guide from the old man, but it can randomly turn out to be fake anyways which is essentially giving your Sim a choice between either 1) Waste money or 2) Nothing Changes.

Though I'm glad none of the chance cards involve randomly getting demoted or fired.
    That'd be annoying, for sure.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I get quite a lot of chance cards, I have noticed that there are barely any with the later careers though, I don’t think there are any for the military career for example. I think they are alright, they get quite repetitive and some of them are a bit weird, like the one where the school calls you and they tell you that they found your kid using the bathroom and eating a sandwich at the same time... why did you found the kid in the bathroom in the first place...?
    I got one tonight in my Criminal Career. Kayson had to decide whether or not to save a kitten from a burning building. He's Mischievous, sure... but let a kitten be hurt? Never. I didn't see a huge dip in Job Performance, but it sure didn't help. I imagine these get repetitive in time (my Culinary Sim has seen a lot of stinky cheeses), but that one was new to me.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    I miss the days of when Chance cards had actual risks and rewards. Used to be if you picked the wrong answer you could get demoted or fired. Now the worst you get is a slight (and boy do I mean slight) job performance decrease. I miss the difficulty!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I find them kind of annoying and they don't really seem to have much impact on our sims lives anyway.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Is it me or did they change something on these chance cards where you can now see the results, so it's not really by chance anymore.
    I felt that they updated this, cause it wasnt fair to people who do not want the game to decide their sims destiny, but I feel left out as I actually liked the game doing this once in a while.

My suggestion would be to add a button with something like 'spoiler' where the answer lies, so you can always decide if you want to risk choosing or let the game spoil the answers for you.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    I rarely see chance cards since I added new EP/GP/SP into my game.

I love my Sims to go into the Mixology career to get the Snaggle Fluster drink, especially when first starting out with a new Sim. The Sim in my household had this "chance card" come up so many times, it was frustrating that it was rejected as a "dud" every time! Eventually I had the Sim leave the Mixology career and tried with another Sim, but no Snaggle Fluster opportunity has come up so far.

Personally I don't know why the Snaggle Fluster was not something that once learned by a Sim could be passed on to family members.

I may start a new vanilla game just to see if the Snaggle Fluster opportunity arises.

I sometimes think that there is so much in the game that older stuff often gets overlooked when playing and the latest install often takes precedence over older things

• blythemegan94blythemegan94 Posts: 23 Member
    > @BilmoBlampkins said:
    > If you guys don't know what Chance Cards are and I'm not surprised if you don't, is a random event that happens when you're Sim is working or went to space. You have two choices, the good one and the bad one.
    > The problem with Chance Cards is that... they rarely appear.
    > I recently completed the whole business career with my new Sim and guess how many of these pop-ups did I get? Two, just two.
    > It's completely ridiculous, in my opinion, they should appear more often, atleast two or three times a week.
    > Maybe it's the RNG, maybe the devs can't think of new ones, but please, just add more of them, and make them appear more often, because they can really help you out or be a nuissance, which is preety cool, and it makes Jobs much more interesting, and as we know, jobs are generally not very interesting, I mean, it's the Sims, Jobs should be fun and not be like real life.
    >
    >
    > So tl;dr Chance Cards are good for the game and they should appear more often

Does it have something to do with work style? I've noticed more chance cards if my sim "works hard" versus any other option.
    I am not sure. It may, or it may be pure luck.

I was having a terrible time getting my Culinary Sim his last notch up the ladder to Celebrity Chef, changing tones to find the one that, for the moment, improved performance by a miniscule amount. Work Hard was not by any means reliably beneficial even at the expense of stress. But it was definitely the two or three Chance Cards he got that finally put him in range of a promotion. They may not help a lot, but they definitely help.
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    Yeah it's pure luck. Sometimes my kids have a pop-up every day at school, but there are also times where they don't show up for a whole week.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I find them annoying. There are too many with Parenthood, plus they’re not smart enough to call the parent of the child, I’ve had grandparents and siblings who live in the same house get those calls.

When I am in the middle of socializing and I am several layers into the social wheel just about to click “get to know” or whatever, THAT’S when the game loves to give me pop-ups like this. And it makes me so aggravated.

Put them in a notification, please!
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    I love chance cards and usually get them whenever my Sims go off to work, but I do want more, I enjoy them quite a bit to be honest lol
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I get them on a regular basis. I usually don't mind them because they're inconsequential. In TS2 I often click ignore because the consequences are too harsh sometimes
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?