Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are ways to "Participate in Island Culture?"

Other than having a Kava party... I don't really know what counts as "participating in Island culture." I'm ASSUMING that the conservationalist career and activities like picking up trash work... but I'd like a more certain list. Thanks anyone who comments!

Comments

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    attending the random 'festivals' that pop up on the island and interacting with other sims during them counts, too. i had one of my 'child of the islands' sims summon their spirits during one of these to check exactly that and, while the spirits were unseen, he still got a positive judgement from them (and my mod said they were on the lot... they just weren't able to be seen, either at the community center area or the home lot of the sim, which was in the same neighborhood)
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    If you’re talking about the Child of the Island trait, here’s what counts:

Taking part in the festivals
    Throwing a kava party
    Cooking with the pit
    Watch baby turtles hatch
    Listening to Island Radio
    Eating Island Recipes
    Cleaning up the island
  • cjosecjose Posts: 265 Member
    Thank you so much! Where is this community lot though? I have never seen any option to travel there.
    that's because there is no option to travel to it, it's a place you can visit on the 'town' island no matter which lot you're playing on/visiting there. it's the place that most of the balloons, flags, arches and whatnot show up on, with a bbq pit off to one side and several sets of chickens wandering around normally. and where all the sims start gathering when most of the festivals kick in

(i'll have screenshots later, when i get around to going back to the islands)
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Is there a list somewhere about what each island event is for? Preferably with pictures? I suck at simlish.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2019
    SimsVIP is still working on their Events guide, but maybe if you google TS4 Island Living Guides, you'll find someone who's made one? :smile:

edit: @JACKIEJOY - tagging you in case SimsVIP's guide is of interest to you even though they haven't posted the Events section yet.
    they're all mostly community-building things, so mostly just about hanging out, talking and having good food. there are a few exceptions, like the fishing one that i haven't seen yet.

i will start making a list of what they're called as i come across them, though. but the only way i know to tell what they are (other than the decor) is by using a mod i have that lets you look at hidden traits, interactions and such. but same as my previous post... 'once i get back to the islands'. i'm working on a few things with a few other households today
  • Vermatrix1Vermatrix1 Posts: 35 Member
    Personally, I kinda thought there should be a skill for Sulani culture like we have with Selvadorada culture in the Jungle Adventure pack, maybe with a new dance like hula dancing or something. oh well
    @Vermatrix1 Your comment has nothing to do with this forum
    And thanks everyone else for the help!
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    with lot do you clean up island. I have yet see anything to clean up :'(

please and thank you :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    You have to go to the Vulcano Island, you'll find trash floating on the sea or lying on the beach. You can also search for trash in the sand.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Gagea wrote: »
    You have to go to the Vulcano Island, you'll find trash floating on the sea or lying on the beach. You can also search for trash in the sand.

Thank you Gagea. I appreciate it :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Vermatrix1 wrote: »
    Personally, I kinda thought there should be a skill for Sulani culture like we have with Selvadorada culture in the Jungle Adventure pack, maybe with a new dance like hula dancing or something. oh well

I had hoped there would be too.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    At a festival or two I have seen some easels with artwork on them. My sim viewed the artwork and got a moodlet “part of the community”.
    I look forward to seeing a guide on these since we don’t get notifications and it’s hard to tell what is going on.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Do you get a pop up or notices that a festival is going on? Because I haven't noticed anything like that?
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    Do you get a pop up or notices that a festival is going on? Because I haven't noticed anything like that?

Not for me at least. I have been playing around 24/7 after launch on Sulani and hasn't been able to find a single festival :,D
    origin ID: adduapina
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    There are no pop up for festivals. But to be honest, you aren't missing much. Festivals consist of sims standing around talking, making food over the fire pit and doing the Windenburg fire dance with the bonfire that came with Windenburg. I really don’t see the culture in it at all. Add a bar and it’s any other bar lot with different decor and clothing.
    It somehow makes city living festivals look good.

gonna post something here i'd said in another thread about the sulani festival things:

these aren't really supposed to be huge, giant events, though. they're just little things a small community does to keep itself a community. and your sims are able to take part in if they want to. little things like these happen in small communities the world over, whether it be a backyard bbq in the rural south, a luau in hawaii, a flower festival in samoa, a small village in spain getting together and playing music while the local matrons cook copious amounts of food... there are tons of other examples, but hopefully this gets the idea across. and i specifically used two islander ones because those exact things show up as some of the festivals in the game

they're all just ways for the people to come together, be happy, eat lots of food, keep friendships going and such. not meant to be big or flashy in the slightest
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I like them because they are low key. Also the people always seem to wear pants.😂
    I don't get pop up notices about festivals either. And where is the pavilion people say they are held at? I've never seen it to visit it.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    There are no pop up notices just have to look for the Balloon thingys to see when there is one.

Also talking with the ancestors when you are invited to talk with them - gives you a type of participating in the Island Culture thing as long as they like you . The ancestors visit my Sim in the Volcano house where she lives even.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

here's a screenshot of the 'community center', 'festival pavilion' or whatever you'd like to call it

e8f7b0bb1c9f6121e58eabbaec577bb2-jpg.jpg

there's obviously a festival going on at it right now, and i had zoomed out enough to show you that it's between the 20x20 on the left (a library/community center in my game) and the bar in the lower right
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    There are no pop up for festivals. But to be honest, you aren't missing much. Festivals consist of sims standing around talking, making food over the fire pit and doing the Windenburg fire dance with the bonfire that came with Windenburg. I really don’t see the culture in it at all. Add a bar and it’s any other bar lot with different decor and clothing.
    It somehow makes city living festivals look good.

LOL True. I despised City Living Festivals so much before. Now we know it could be worse. At least City Living festivals are different from each other.

I have to say I love the new fishing tournament though, wish they had more variety in those festivals... Not bonfire every day, LOL.