Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living; is it lacking?

Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
Do you believe Island Living is lacking or feels empty? Many people believe that Island Living is beautiful, and the aesthetic is spot on, however the gameplay is bare and direction missing.

Also people aren’t impressed with mermaids.

Tell me what you think down below, along with what it’s missing, and could benefit from!

Disclaimer: I have not played Island Living yet, and am merely speculating or using my basic knowledge from research.

Island Living; is it lacking? 341 votes

Yes, Island Living is Lacking
60%
Akl500PCK213Frn0731caleeKolbyGoldmoldarBreeSashajulienrob2004KristinaGalacticGalIcewolfJasejeepjeepcatalan650111aelias24sillehbeesims2freak737WrenryColorist40AprilDawn 207 votes
No, Island Living is Fine
17%
BluegaylejwatsonJeanwindweaverIceyJlove7680Saunta2PlayerSinger2010danacnbrettSimpatsyannmcruddThunderbat87invisiblgirlliliaethSimpkinAjaGioluthienrisingsimfriend1968stilljustme2MissyHissy 59 votes
Eh, Island Living is tolerable
17%
Jadeleinebrackencat31alexspoom13Strangerthantegteg87cchant86slamondazagbooruleshadklaxpajamajam07taydevPlumbobCrossingAquarius94mrkingvfiercephoenix91OnverserWaytoomanyUIDsTPMoriartyKscSimmerEnkiSchmidt 59 votes
Other, ...
4%
jeLlyBeAn1573Writin_RegSimburiansimgirl1010friendlysimmersBagoas77catloverplayerashcrash19ChampandGirliehalloweenchildrjssimEvilyn_1007CommaSpliceSigRaronerdfashionSimmingal 16 votes

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I think my biggest critique of the expansions for this game is that the team manages their resources poorly. There's always some feature that really doesn't need to be there, taking away from features that would have been better. Island Living doesn't disappoint in that regard (I'm looking at you, mermaids)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I think my biggest critique of the expansions for this game is that the team manages their resources poorly. There's always some feature that really doesn't need to be there, taking away from features that would have been better. Island Living doesn't disappoint in that regard (I'm looking at you, mermaids)

I feel like they try to fit too much in, but come to where they don’t have enough. I don’t know their budgets, but they must suck.
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    I guess they really did not spend their budget too well on Island Living It feels like a map pack because it seems that’s where most of the budgets went. Have to give them credit on the map though, I don’t think any future world could possibly surpass its beauty.

The conservation part is actually also pretty in depth and I have to say it’s not my favorite career because it’s not fun enough for me, but the global policies part really is a cool feature and I hope they had made the political career just like this. Can’t wait for more careers like this in the future.

Other features are really not that impressive. Mermaids are okay since it at least is a step forward; Jet Skis are okay for the customization and ability to be placed in pools.

The rabbit holes are so not needed in this pack. I mean of course we need new careers but come on, my Sims don’t even unlock that lifeguard outfit after maxing out; and the diver reward is bugged because I have one in my inventory but cannot buy a new one because it still says “locked”. The cave is disappointing, the diving is boring and disappointing. And the odd jobs... I wish they put that passion in writing all those humorous notifications elsewhere.

And then the culture... Well, the festivals are so lackluster, apart from the fishing competition, which is good and unique and I like quite a lot, are basically the same. And then there’s not enough cultural stuffs. You know it when they reused bonfires in Get Together and swing sets in Seasons.

I kinda hope they added more depth to the existing contents... But now it’s a pack where there are not a lot to do (if you ignore the rabbit holes) and the existing stuffs lack depth.

Personally I could accept it if they add more culture like new dance, new recreation, or at least work from home lifeguard and fisherman or a system that is in depth like the fame or reputation, clubs or holidays... And add scuba diving, an underwater world and mermaids in a separate GP.

To me depth is everything. I don’t need a rabbit hole career for my Sims to be in to “imagine” my Sims did stuffs on the beach as a lifeguard. I can already do that if I give him an existing career and just say “he’a lifeguard, actually”.

I don’t hate this pack, because the feel of the world is really stunning. But I can’t recommend it at full price. And I don’t think it is on par with any other Sims 4 Expansions.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Other, ...
    Really, it's all on you. What do you find lacking? Do you focus more on gameplay, CAS, or B/B? All these factors (and more) like into whether or not you want it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I was torn on this one because there are a few things I wish were better, but on the other hand they are such minor, minor things for my game play that I can still fully enjoy the pack and it doesn't feel like it's lacking when I play it. For example, I wish that toddlers had a seashell or a shovel instead of a rubber duck when in the water. I'm installing the mod right now to replace the duck with a seashell.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Ughh so I do really like island living but I had to be honest here. It does feel like it’s missing something which is sad because it’s really a great pack overall.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I like Island Living I haven’t done everything in the game but it’s adds a lot for families in the game more then other packs do.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Very much so. Sulani is beautiful yes, but that's pretty much the only interesting thing about this pack. And along with that comes one of the biggest issues, in that a majority of the new features are exclusive to Sulani. Like the water and beach activities, which also have very little variety. The new traits are focused on the aspect of the island. The new careers are either rabbitholes or the repetitive conservationist career (again, only useful in Sulani) with little replay value. I've also heard in reviews that mermaids have little gameplay. If it were a gamepack, I wouldn't mind these things. But as an expansion, I expect things to be expanded beyond just the new world and for longer lasting entertainment.

City Living was done much better as a 'living' pack, imo. Yes, apartments and festivals are locked to San Myshuno, but at least you get notified when festivals are happening so you can go there if you want. And a lot of the new additions, like the new traits, aren't focused on San Myshuno as a location. There are elements of the city that you can bring elsewhere if you want.

As it stands, imo Island Living should have been a gamepack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Other, ...
    I picked other. It's a great pack to me. I do however wish resorts and more pool items would have been added. Those will probably come in a future gamepack though.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I don't mind if the team has to work less on some features if they actually give us something fantastic to counter that. But this pack feels SO incomplete and unfinished. Absolutely embarrassing.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I think Carl's Sims Guides' review of Island Living gives some insight on this.
    It definitely feels lacking in actual game-changing gameplay.
    Cool animations and more moodlets aren't game-changing.
    Mermaids have no progression system. Go from freshly-made human Sim, gain 500 aspiration points and buy some Mermadic Kelp, eat it, and boom you're suddenly a mermaid with instant mastery of all of their various abilities.
    There's more, but there's no denying that Island Living's biggest strengths are that Sulani itself is quite beautiful, and seeing the cultural-inspired aspects apparenty in the various CAS and BB options.

I'd recommend checking out his video review to see his takes on the positives/negatives of the pack:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDCU82W7U0
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    It's beautiful in cosmetic and other visual details, but the gameplay/content is really sparse. Because of this it's not really a "game pack" but at the same time there isn't enough content to justify it to be an expansion pack either.

Mermaids didn't have to be as super fleshed out as vampires, but they're absolute barebones. Pretty but not much different from regular sims. We should've gotten at LEAST one underwater/special lot accessible to scuba-diving sims and mermaids, along with lifeguard being an active career.

There is a lot of good ideas/good intentions behind IL, but it needs more meat, so to speak.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Very empty pack. Not that I care about this but they give mermaids but no diving, just another basic addition. They give us jet skis but our Sims cant ride them together and it was not added as a club activity to ride them together. No real new group activities besides 2 Sims building a sand castle or pranking a Sim on a lounge chair. Old worlds were ignored and made this pack a mini game where the majority of the content is a 1 world thing instead of expanding the game overall which really is one of Sims 4 major downfalls such as apartments being a 1 world thing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    Other, ...
    I think there's enough to do for those who like aquatics and living in a tropical world. I would have liked a feature outside of swimming and boating. Like resorts for vacationing and managing.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am enjoying the look and feel of Sulani, the new build items, and dolphins.

But I do feel that it is lacking in some features.

First, for me would be the mermaids. They're an okay addition but since you can make a good non-sim killing mermaid or an evil sim killing mermaid/siren, the team could have given them a trait tree, like for vampries, where players could have picked from different traits to flush out their mermaids characteristics/personalities.

Next would be the cave in Mua Pel'am. For me it should have been made into a proper secret lot for sims to explore to find items after unlocking a puzzle or feature to get there.

Then there's deep sea diving. I would love to see my sim actually swimming under the water and interacting with the sand and objects to discover items.

And finally there's the jet ski and canoe. They are a great way of getting around but they can't go from island to island. And given how close the islands appear not having a Loading Screen when traveling to them would have been great. (Then shattered when it would be back just because you want to travel from lot to lot on the island once you get there. :D )
    Post edited by Wrenry on
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited June 2019
    100% lacking in many things. I rate it a 2.3 out of 10 stars. It’s my least favorite EP. I’m playing with it to see if my opinion will change but in the end it’s just sad.
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I think it is. Even if we only count the things we got and not things we wish we got. Tanning for "reasons" only works on natural skin colors even though mermaids were shipped with the alien tones [which blocks them from the new aspiration if they are used]. Mermaids can't do basic things like climb the ladders [even though they switch to legs for floaties] and they weren't given a snorkel animation so they also can't really do daily or stay at home tasks for the new marine bio career. The long awaited and anticipated lounge chairs not only look like our sims are super tense using them but they can't talk, read, or listen to music while on them. The cave and mural in Mua Pel'am were a weird build up for what amounts to nothing. I don't get it.

I want to be in love with this pack but it feels like so many shortcuts were taken.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    While I love the pack, after playing it some more, it does feel lacking in some areas.

The rabbit hole careers, lack of dive lots/underwater camera and more rabbit holes, and mermaids not being able to drown sims and being fully fleshed out (like: not having transformations, younger life stage versions, or having a even a cute mermaid baby crib), lack of houseboats, (and lack of resorts for some simmers), and not having enough water or beach activities really do lower the pack’s value in my eyes.

I realized how much I am especially missing houseboats, being able to see the actual Kraken swimming underneath the water (which was so cool and creepy in Sims 3!), having danger with the kraken and sharks, having a lifeguard career, and seeing my mermaids from below the water.

I still love the pack, and consider it a must-have for myself since it has my number one favorite supernatural (merpeople), but I’m disappointed by some elements of it. I am glad I preorder it for a cheaper price elsewhere as the pack feels more of a game pack price.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    I'm enjoying the pack just fine :) there is alot to do, I made a new Sim for this Island. If you feel that it is lacking your not taking advantage of all it has to offer, slow down and enjoy island life ;)
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    AjaGio wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the pack just fine :) there is alot to do, I made a new Sim for this Island. If you feel that it is lacking your not taking advantage of all it has to offer, slow down and enjoy island life ;)

Listen, I do still love the pack, but it does feel lacking. And it has nothing to do with slowing down or anything like that.

Island Paradise is okay-ish for me as well, but at least it tries and it has: resort system, lifeguard career that is NOT a rabbit hole, underwater camera view, underwater dive lots that are NOT rabbit holes, houseboats, an actual visual of the kraken that you can see, water skiing, sailboating, a sense of danger with sharks and krakens (and you can see them) and a rabbit hole monster, a big world with hidden islands, and treasure hunting. There are probably some other things I’m missing, but those are some major cool features that I remembered that Island Paradise brings to the table.

Island Paradise brought a sense of immersion when it comes the ocean activities, the deep ocean life environment, and the active career of being a lifeguard.

(And I say all of this as someone who’s more of a Sims 2, Sims 1, and Sims 4 fan than a Sims 3 fan. I would have loved Island Paradise much more, though, if the mermaids were better, and if I liked Sims 3. Sims 3 has some charm, but I could never fully embrace it like I did with Sims 1 and Sims 2. *sighs*)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • APLSKTLAPLSKTL Posts: 1 New Member
    The Mermaids in Island Living are what feels lacking. I wish they had similar bonuses and skill trees to Vampires and Celebrities.

I wish the cave took you to a separate location similar to the tree in the base game.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    I agree with everything. Island Livings Budget was not used in the best way. I hate to say it, because I hate how they break things up, but I wish they dropped mermaids and even conservation. To focus on all the other stuff. Maybe they could come out with a mermaids stuff pack which is only the mermaids themselves and their system, with a few more clothes. I just hope that patches will add the minor things in.
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    AjaGio wrote: »

Listen, I do still love the pack, but it does feel lacking. And it has nothing to do with slowing down or anything like that.

Island Paradise is okay-ish for me as well, but at least it tries and it has: resort system, lifeguard career that is NOT a rabbit hole, underwater camera view, underwater dive lots that are NOT rabbit holes, houseboats, an actual visual of the kraken that you can see, water skiing, sailboating, a sense of danger with sharks and krakens (and you can see them) and a rabbit hole monster, a big world with hidden islands, and treasure hunting. There are probably some other things I’m missing, but those are some major cool features that I remembered that Island Paradise brings to the table.

Island Paradise brought a sense of immersion when it comes the ocean activities, the deep ocean life environment, and the active career of being a lifeguard.

(And I say all of this as someone who’s more of a Sims 2, Sims 1, and Sims 4 fan than a Sims 3 fan. I would have loved Island Paradise much more, though, if the mermaids were better, and if I liked Sims 3. Sims 3 has some charm, but I could never fully embrace it like I did with Sims 1 and Sims 2. *sighs*)

And you have a right to your opinion as well :) Have fun playing, I am B)