The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do mermaids EVER say yes?

As you all know, asking anyone if they're a mermaid is a nice way to lose relationship points. Whether they are mermaids or not, and no matter how good friends you are, they'll get insulted and deny it. Even when I played as a mermaid myself, and found another one swimming, we were conversing in the water, fishtails out and everything, and I asked, but the response was the same. "Where did you get that idea?" =P Makes me wonder why that option is even there when the reply will always be the same. xD

Comments

• RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    Find the “Ordinary” Conch Shell, blow it near the mermaid, they’ll make a dolphin sound, and then you can “Ask About Strange Behavior”
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    RexZheng wrote: »
    Find the “Ordinary” Conch Shell, blow it near the mermaid, they’ll make a dolphin sound, and then you can “Ask About Strange Behavior”

Thanks, I'll see if I can find that shell somewhere. :)
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2019
    Stutum wrote: »
    As you all know, asking anyone if they're a mermaid is a nice way to lose relationship points. Whether they are mermaids or not, and no matter how good friends you are, they'll get insulted and deny it. Even when I played as a mermaid myself, and found another one swimming, we were conversing in the water, fishtails out and everything, and I asked, but the response was the same. "Where did you get that idea?" =P Makes me wonder why that option is even there when the reply will always be the same. xD

They will eventually say yes.
    My sim became best friends with one and she finally admitted she was a mermaid.
    She was visiting him in San Myshuno at the time.
    06-29-19_9-40-36nbspAM.png

He had given her the key to his apartment, so she could visit often and he could work on their friendship.
    I had him ask her to stay the night, hoping she would get dehydrated and he could catch her in the tub as a mermaid.06-29-19_10-01-41nbspAM.png

She admitted to being a mermaid before this however, so I never got to see a surprise reveal.
    She probably only did this because they had become best friends.
    06-29-19_10-02-06nbspAM.png

Vaughn didn't have any reaction to seeing her in the tub this way.
    06-29-19_10-02-48nbspAM.png

When she got out of the tub, she said she had to leave for personal reasons.
    06-29-19_10-04-18nbspAM.png

When they both arrived at his vacation house in Sulani she finally took her mermaid form in public.
    06-29-19_10-25-40nbspAM.png
    06-29-19_10-26-01nbspAM.png

06-29-19_10-26-24nbspAM.png

06-29-19_10-27-10nbspAM.png

06-29-19_10-34-00nbspAM.png

It was a bit underwhelming though.
    I thought it would be a more interesting reveal. :p
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    CK213 wrote: »

He had given her the key to his apartment, so she could visit often and he could work on their friendship.
    I had him ask her to stay the night, hoping she would get dehydrated and he could catch her in the tub as a mermaid.06-29-19_10-01-41nbspAM.png

She admitted to being a mermaid before this however, so I never got to see a surprise reveal.

When they both arrived at his vacation house in Sulani she finally took her mermaid form in public.

Too bad it was underwhelming, my motivation to make it happen kinda fades. xD
  • OnendOnliYazzieOnendOnliYazzie Posts: 1,375 Member

ugh that really stinks that they have no reaction to finding out surprise or in general. Not even a moodlet? I don’t think they have a reaction to finding out a sim is a alien or a vampire either, missed opportunity.

I love to share my sims stories and hear about others. Got a story you want to share come talk to me!
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Love the pictures CK, as always! I thought the pic with her in the tub was awesome...beautiful tail! Lol, I actually recognized Vaughn Nobles.

Now I can't wait to have my Holly eat the kelp.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.

ugh that really stinks that they have no reaction to finding out surprise or in general. Not even a moodlet? I don’t think they have a reaction to finding out a sim is a alien or a vampire either, missed opportunity.

They must have nerfed the reaction to aliens.
    I only experienced it once and never again.
    04-18-15_8-57nbspPM.png

It was with a sim outside the household though,
    so maybe I haven't been zapping anymore townies.
    04-18-15_8-57nbspPM-2.png
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2019
    Joking: the title of the thread makes me want to quote something from SimLife (remember that?!):

Ooo la la! :wink:

:lol:

edited to add some o's: that phrase started with a nice long 'ooooo!'
    edited June 2019
    Off topic, but I am wondering why Photobucket is putting a big ugly add on my photo when I am paying for their service. :s

[Edit]
    Never mind, Photobucket is doing their Plan shenanigans, trying to get more money out of people without totally losing them. This started June 1st apparently.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    Finally found the ordinary conch shell, and made a mermaid reveal herself. Pretty anti-climatic, but I was prepared for that. Oh well, I'm gonna keep that thing around anyway.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you didn't like the random dolphining they did? if it helps, having a mermaid reveal themselves to your sim that way gets the sim a new hidden trait ('mermaidwoke') so mermaids all seem to be willing to swim in merform around them
    kalaksed wrote: »
    you didn't like the random dolphining they did? if it helps, having a mermaid reveal themselves to your sim that way gets the sim a new hidden trait ('mermaidwoke') so mermaids all seem to be willing to swim in merform around them

Sure, the reaction was fun, don't get me wrong. It's just a shame that it didn't do much else. No moodlet for discovering a mermaid or something like that. Huh, hidden is right, I don't see that trait anywhere.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    oh, i was just trying to be silly (and maybe a bit cheeky) with that comment. the dolphining actually gets a little tiring after a bit if it keeps replaying. same as vampire hissing, really

also, on the hidden trait thing, those are only visible with certain mods, like mccc or showsiminfo (i use the latter). there are actually a huge number of hidden traits, most of which are just for little things like being right- or lefthanded, if the sim has discovered what one of the outdoor retreats plants is, gotten one of the challenge items (growfruit challenge, magic bean challenge and such), seen first snow. some allow some type of gameplay thing, though, like the sulani mana one that enables a sim to summon a lava bomb once every few hours

here's a screenshot of using the latter to check who all has the 'woke' hidden trait in my game... a whopping 3 sims, 2 of which are mermaids:
    37fb0853e5c331239609a8367a22afe1.png

lia is the townie who starts the game living with the chieftain in her lot in the main town of sulani. i added the 'lava-man' maxis sim to that household as a defender of sorts to them (and gave him the sulani mana trait then started decorating around his cabin with lava boulders he summons). i haven't played the household overmuch, but she did find an 'ordinary' conch shell and blew it while standing next to one of the premade mermaids
    here you can see all her hidden traits in my game:
    8698779274a3f60d7aa7033cbc414a4b.png

fatima is pretty similar, except she was a selvadoradan townie i had edited a long while ago and moved to sulani to become an environmentalist. so she's got the 'isnative' selvadoradan trait instead of the 'islander' trait lia has. she also found some mermaid kelp in the cave and ate it, becoming a mermaid. after she discovered a mermaid through using the conch shell
    9e69514b5b02e83f55ce810c7cc17cb1.png

manuia is similar, except he was created as a mermaid in my game (my first sim for island living, even) and i played him a whole lot, so he's got plenty of other hidden traits the others don't (like 'first kiss' and 'had woohoo' since he's started a romantic relationship with one of the island spirits he can summon). he was the first to find the conch shell and used it a whole lot with no results until nalani happened to be walking by. that was my introduction to what it does
    kalaksed wrote: »
    oh, i was just trying to be silly (and maybe a bit cheeky) with that comment. the dolphining actually gets a little tiring after a bit if it keeps replaying. same as vampire hissing, really

also, on the hidden trait thing, those are only visible with certain mods, like mccc or showsiminfo (i use the latter). there are actually a huge number of hidden traits, most of which are just for little things like being right- or lefthanded, if the sim has discovered what one of the outdoor retreats plants is, gotten one of the challenge items (growfruit challenge, magic bean challenge and such), seen first snow. some allow some type of gameplay thing, though, like the sulani mana one that enables a sim to summon a lava bomb once every few hours

here's a screenshot of using the latter to check who all has the 'woke' hidden trait in my game... a whopping 3 sims, 2 of which are mermaids:
    37fb0853e5c331239609a8367a22afe1.png

lia is the townie who starts the game living with the chieftain in her lot in the main town of sulani. i added the 'lava-man' maxis sim to that household as a defender of sorts to them (and gave him the sulani mana trait then started decorating around his cabin with lava boulders he summons). i haven't played the household overmuch, but she did find an 'ordinary' conch shell and blew it while standing next to one of the premade mermaids
    here you can see all her hidden traits in my game:
    8698779274a3f60d7aa7033cbc414a4b.png

fatima is pretty similar, except she was a selvadoradan townie i had edited a long while ago and moved to sulani to become an environmentalist. so she's got the 'isnative' selvadoradan trait instead of the 'islander' trait lia has. she also found some mermaid kelp in the cave and ate it, becoming a mermaid. after she discovered a mermaid through using the conch shell
    9e69514b5b02e83f55ce810c7cc17cb1.png

manuia is similar, except he was created as a mermaid in my game (my first sim for island living, even) and i played him a whole lot, so he's got plenty of other hidden traits the others don't (like 'first kiss' and 'had woohoo' since he's started a romantic relationship with one of the island spirits he can summon). he was the first to find the conch shell and used it a whole lot with no results until nalani happened to be walking by. that was my introduction to what it does

Oh, if the hidden traits are only accessible by mods, then I won't bother. Thanks, though. :)