Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moving Object Interaction Access Points.

AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Is it possible to move the point at which a Sim will interact with an object when physical contact isn't required?
I'm trying to make a version of the Sims Mobile water cooler for TS4 but Sims stand too close to it and clip through.
y6y60kX.png

I just want to be able to make them stand further away when performing the animation.
I tried editing the footprint to make it stick out slightly further forward but that had the result of preventing Sims getting to the cooler because it was in the way of itself.
I tried using the footprint of a fridge since Sims stand further away when interacting with those but that had no effect.

The only way to getting close involves moving the mesh backwards off-grid so that the Sim remains in the same place but then that complicates placement in-game and requires the use of the Alt key which I don't want to have to do.

You can download my package here> www.simfileshare.net/download/1076417/
a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
Thoughts on a new wall mode?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• SimGuruTwoLegsSimGuruTwoLegs Posts: 25 SimGuru (retired)
    It looks like you're using the existing get water animations for the sink? I don't think there's a quick way to move the Sim back. The offset from the object's root is inside the animation clip. The most straightforward solution would be to dupe the clip and modify the offset, then create a new interaction and animation tuning for it.

(A more complicated solution is to create a subroot in the model that's shifted forward, and in tuning set up the subroot as a part that has the get water interaction. The animation will play relative to the subroot instead. The downside to this is that the tuning is somewhat complicated to set up.)
  • AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    Thanks for your response. It's not what I was hoping to hear since I have zero experience with Sims 4 animations and only minimal experience with tuning but at least I now know that it is possible.

I am using the existing get water animation as I simply cloned a sink and then edited the object tuning to remove the majority of the other sink interaction from the super affordance list.
    Do you happen to have an example of an object that uses the tuning method you suggest that I may be able to look at and dissect?
    @SimGuruTwoLegs
    I appear to have created a package using the tuning method that has allowed me to move the animation position back from my cooler object but have now been left with the issue that the pouring water VFX will not play. I don't know enough about how tuning works to know what I have broken or where. It also appears that the IK targets no longer work but in this instance that is not a problem.

I actually have two working packages that both use slightly different tuning that I have cobbled together from looking at other objects that use part tuning. If you were able to take a look at them and tell me what I need to correct in either of them I would be extremely grateful. I understand if you are not able to though as I assume you will be extremely busy anyway.

You can download the files from here> http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1114415/ and here> http://www.simfileshare.net/download/1114416/
    Is it worth bumping this thread? I shelved this project when I couldn't get this to work but would still really like to complete it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top