Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like open neighborhoods?

As the title says...

I wouldn't mind open neighborhoods. o:)
Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

Would you like open neighborhoods? 306 votes

Yes
65%
Akl500PBluegayleCK213Frn0731catmom1987cameronw209GoldmoldaricmnfrshSara1010PGoth583FosoSamSamadamsPlayerjeepjeepcatalan650111IceyJCrazyboutTheSimsxbecky685xjeLlyBeAn1573sims2freak737jaletu2005 199 votes
No
34%
Bluefairy286LaBlue0314Bronwin2MadameLeestoryyBlkBarbiegalEIisabettaSikoahGraceColorist40jonilla1monkymn00SleepycatDSLleighemcruddIsb917SimburianBloosmooThunderbat87Pipersfun2kokoro80 107 votes

Comments

• GosiaWKGosiaWK Posts: 56 Member
    Yes
    100 % yes, I mean, TS3 was awesome! barely any loading screens, and the whole world was available to you, I wish that is a thing in TS4
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    No
    Some of us are complete sick of people wanting open world...
    6adMCGP.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Yes
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Some of us are complete sick of people wanting open world...

Good for you, you’re currently outvoted 1-4. I predict that trend will continue. Open world games (when done right) can be amazing. Sims will never have an open world the scale of like, Zelda, or AC:Odyssey. Sims 3 wasn’t a very large open world, but it was a start. I’d rather they push themselves to produce good quality content instead of falling back on simpler, older technology. It’s in the best interests of everyone to keep the franchise somewhat moving forward.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    No
    No, because it would mean that a lot of the 20 Sims in the neighbourhood were tucked away in houses I"m not playing in. I can live with the occasional loading screen when I occasionally change to a lot in the same neighbourhood. It's not often enough to be worth the emptier neighbourhoods.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely, though I think the Gurus said we wouldn't get it, at least with TS4, I enjoyed it in TS3. Having an open world made things more fun because you could jump back and forth between sims without loading screens. It made the world feel larger too.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Yes
    Yes! A thousand times yes!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    No
    Not going to be happening..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    I'm honestly unsure, it was fun in 3 but 3 was notoriously bloated and laggy (while still an awesome game, don't get me wrong), and I feel EA could've achieved the same thing with giving neighborhoods the "look" of being open if they handled them differently, maybe having a 2 style setup where you can travel to any nearby lot but need to wait as everything loads, or even if they did a better job with the illusory scenery in the neighborhoods (i.e. fake houses, 2D trees, those weird proto-sims that show up on the lower streets of San Myshuno and are occasionally missing body parts). Just some compromise to make the worlds more "open" than they currently are without making it too taxing to load them.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    Yes
    Its not a deal breaker in any way but i know my computer can take it so it would be preferred.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    If we are talking Sims 4, than no.

But a future sims game? Definitely!
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    If we are talking Sims 4, than no.

But a future sims game? Definitely!

I agree
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    Yes
    Yes!!!
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    No
    There's a lot to be said for loading screens, as evidenced by the plethora of open world titles with issues ranging from save file bloat to disappearing NPCs.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes
    At this point, I don't mind that the worlds overall aren't open... but I wish each neighborhood would at least be open. For example, not having to deal with a loading screen by simply crossing the street would be nice. The least they could've done is allow us to visit lots within a single neighborhood without a loading screen. I would be willing to settle for this as a compromise... where the only times we need a loading screen would be between traveling to different worlds or other neighborhoods within the same world.

It's especially concerning when you realize that even apartments in Sims 2 didn't require a loading screen to go next door... and yet, Sims 4 does.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Yes
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for loading screens, as evidenced by the plethora of open world titles with issues ranging from save file bloat to disappearing NPCs.

Sims 4 has those issues too, and it’s a closed world. Next.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    No
    Less they're gonna have some mode of transportation to get across the very open neighborhoods like S3 and not running probably not because I can see that taking forever. I do like how Semi open they are only thing I want is to be able to visit another nearby lot without the use of a loading screen.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    No
    The open world was really the only redeeming feature of Sims 3 for me. It was nice but still I'm fairly convinced that it was to blame for the epic bad performance that always plagued that game so I've voted no for an open world in the Sims 4 or any future iterations. I'd rather have loading screens and a game that performs smooth and well than have an open world in a game that lags like poop.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yes
    If done right I don't see why anyone would say no. But unfortunately this is the Sims 4 and it ain't gonna happen.
  • WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    No
    I wanted it very much when sims4 first came out, but when I play sims3 now, the open world just seems so empty. There are just a few sims at each lot. I like that sims4 feels so much more lively. I'll tolerate the loading screens for that kind of atmosphere. :)
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    At the very least, they should make it so that if a Sim enters the lot from the back, there's no teleportation to the front. Enter the lot as smoothly as possible.

Also, regarding multitasking; a Sim can walk around the outer-lot space eating a burger just fine. If a Sim tries to enter a lot while eating a burger, the Sim finishes the burger first, then there's a loading screen and probable teleportation. It used to be that a plate was dropped back at the old spot too (if entering from the back, for example) but I think there was a patch to make plates disappear instead. It was all handled awfully and is likely not much better today.

Loading screens are fine but make routing smooth AT THE VERY LEAST.

Would I like open neighborhoods? Of course!

ETA: My TS3 lots have always been busy unless I visit in the middle of the night.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    No, but if we ever get custom apartments/dorms in the future, I hope it’s like TS2, and there isn’t a loading screen in between each room. That’d be ridiculous.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2019
    No
    There were open worlds in TS3, but there were also a lot of rabbit holes. For example, you want to send your sim to a nice restaurant with their date, well in Sims 3 you couldn't see what was going on. In the open world, sims were constantly getting stuck in very odd places, with lead to a horrible lag, and the sim dying because they were stuck in that area. An open world means there is more work for the average computer, and mine for one just couldn't handle it.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yes
    yes, but I don't think I'd want completely open world. Just the neighborhood
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Yes
    Marnetti wrote: »
    No, but if we ever get custom apartments/dorms in the future, I hope it’s like TS2, and there isn’t a loading screen in between each room. That’d be ridiculous.

Yes.This. I was so disappointed with City Living apartments because there was a loading screen to enter your neighbour's room. It really killed the realism and interactivity.

On the whole open world thing, I definitely prefer open neighbourhood (at least Sulani seem semi-open?) as opposed to open world because much as I loved S3, it kept lagging. I don't really enjoy the current loading screens everywhere though, because I find it affects on-player sim's actions. I rarely see them walking past my house, and never see them do anything interesting (fight, argue, cause trouble. even more boring things such as do homework or play music) unless my sim visits an area such as the city living districts where some of actions appear to be scripted.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Would I want them if we were starting over with a new engine designed for open neighbourhoods? Sure.

Would I want them shoehorned into in the current TS4 engine? Heck no, and it wouldn’t even be possible.