Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestions on a new PC!

Hello all! I am getting an entirely new pc and saying goodbye to my old lass i have had forever now.

Other than the sims series i do have another game which is considered more demanding (as i say while being able to play said game and not sims 3)

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly! So! Before i end this I'd like to state I'm aware on building versus buying. For me they cost about the same but one is lets face it-easier lol.

My current budget is at most $3,000. While a monitor is something I'm looking for as well-its not a priority for me.

Again thank you to everyone who helps me out on this =D

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    (gulps) Those are US Dollars? Prices and currency values are different in other countries but here with that budget you could buy (almost) three computers that can run TS3 with all EPs and tons of added content. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but the game is over ten years old now and cannot take advantage of all the power that modern very high end processors and graphics cards can provide nor can the game itself utilize more than 4 GB of RAM although we always recommend at least 8 and perhaps 16 for future-proofing and being able to run other applications alongside of the game as needed.

Desktops that can carry the entire game will start at around $700 or so without cutting too many corners, the price goes up a bit with stronger components and Solid State Drives. Custom builds where the vendor assembles the system before shipping it can run a bit more but with some help in choosing a good set of such components can yield a stronger system overall and you still get a warranty on the resulting product.

So that those with the correct shopping gene/trait can better assist, what other uses will this computer have and what is/are the other games you are interested in? Although TS3 is not very forgiving when some basic requirements are not met like the processor being too weak, the GPU not dedicated or strong enough, or not enough RAM, it sounds like your other purposes for it may be more of a driving factor on selecting a good system.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • xxJaixxxxJaixx Posts: 46 Member
    Whats funny is i only play one other game that my $300 pc shouldnt be able to play but can run on high-but cant run the sims 3 very well but lets be honest its not the best optimized lol.

The reason my budget is so high-is for my more modern games that are continuously updated (with more requirements being added as it goes)

My only concern in buying PC's as always is the risk of having everything in order and working. Some of the PC's that ive seen that fit my budget (as if its small lmao) have the right parts but tend to lack in cooling which is a bit worrying for me as i live in a warm climate already.

My budget is a bit overkill (especially since as you said sims 3 wont be taking full advantage of the new cards) but i will be having quite a bit on that PC-and lets face it- i wanna go all out from my old potato lol.

I guess i should specify more on recommendations on where to look, rather than hardware. My only question on hardware is suggestion on SSD and Ram. Having such an old computer means i have never had a system with SSD and im not sure of its advantages.

Thank ya for replying either way and taking time to reply =D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    I always look on Amazon first for the variety of configurations and value they offer. That's not always the best place to purchase in the end, but it often is and they do cover many bases.

The newer graphics cards are great for TS3, but after about a GTX 1060 or 1660 Ti on the Nvidia series (these numbering systems are for the birds), we get to the x70s and x80s (where x is 10, 20, or whatever other series they are coming up with) that are also great but way overkill for the game. Same with the newest AMD cards with different numbering systems. Once we start talking about 3 GB vs. 6 GB of video memory (vram), we have to remember that TS3 can only use 800 MB due to the way it is programmed and the rest is really excess. Can we get some examples of these other more modern game titles though?

With that budget you might want to think about still under or around $2,000 for a custom build with some assistance but perhaps a really high end monitor. Or more than one monitor, it's not unheard of to have two or three going with a game playing on one and other things happening on the other(s).

The RAM question will probably be driven by other uses, of course you can go higher than 16 GB even if there aren't really many (or any?) games out there that can use quite that much yet. An SSD has no moving parts like a mechanical HDD does, so access and write times are faster. Only RAM access can beat that. TS3 happens to benefit from running off of an SSD in that startups, saves, travel transitions, caching, and catalog building in CAS, Build/Buy and patterns in CASt will happen much, much faster. Actual gameplay is about the same although it might feel like some scenes will render a bit sooner. This is difficult for me to confirm for myself because my recently acquired system gave me a modern GPU and an SSD for the first time each both at once. Other games and programs take advantage of SSDs in other ways, for some including TS4 as it so happens there is no real difference.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thank you for explaining all that! The reason im not too worried about my other game really-is because i can record/stream it and have little to no problem doing so, i really only play one other game besides the sims series, which is oddly smooth for my other machine i have. Besides that im mostly editing or working on digital art which is laggy on my old system but i expected as such there.

I've always had 8gb RAM and wanted to upgrade to 16GB at the least. I have never really played around with AMD cards or processors, but like i said the one game that isnt the sims series at this point recommends a x70 or equivalent- which is also not a must as my old 1050 runs it just fine (weird how that works) but i know my old lass wont last on that forever.

I've never really understood that as of late most PC retailers dont sell systems with the 10 series anymore (around me atleast) which is odd to me, they have those few strays lying around but most systems i see for sale are the 20 series-this is off topic of course my apologies. But those systems tend to run cheaper than the new cards they have now even though there is not tooooo much of a difference in performance.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply!
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    If you don't find a prebuilt system you like, you might want to look at CyberpowerPC. It allows you to pick every part separately, and not just the specs but the brand as well. So you could choose to get a liquid cooling system that's stronger than is strictly necessary, a motherboard with room for multiple upgrades, a stronger power supply that will support not just this graphics card but the next one. etc.

In your position, I'd get a stronger CPU and PSU than I needed now, plus a board that gave me flexibility in the future. But I wouldn't spend an excessive amount on a graphics card. The 2070 and 2080 can manage any game currently out, unless you want to play AAA games in 4k with a high refresh rate. But the technology is changing so quickly that they're going to fall behind in a couple of years. The only way to futureproof is to get a 2080 ti or higher, and at over $1200, it kind of seems excessive. I'd personally go with something good enough now and save the money for the newest shiniest card released two or three years from now.

Just as an example (from two minutes of clicking around), you could get a 9900KF, a 240mm liquid cooler, a 2070, 16 GB RAM, an 850W Corsair PSU, and two 1 TB SSDs for under $2000. There are probably better configurations; I just tweaked the first one that was on sale.

It sounds like you have things under control, but if you'd like to exchange ideas, let me know.
    Thank you very much! I'll take a look there c:
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I second the suggestion of Cyberpower PC. That's where I got my last two computers and I've been very happy with them. I got an extremely powerful machine a month ago and stayed right at $2k. This includes 32gb RAM and three cooling fans. It should last me for many years playing high end games that require a lot of power. Their tech people are knowledgeable and helpful and can help you build exactly what you need. And no this isn't a paid endorsement. My son told me about them 7-8 years ago when I wanted to get a custom built computer. He has purchased three computers from them and is also very happy with his. Cyberpower specializes in gaming rigs.

As for monitors, I recommend price checking on those. I picked up a pretty good 24" spare for around $135 at Best Buy. Now I'm a dual monitor user as well for not very much money.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    If you don't find a prebuilt system you like, you might want to look at CyberpowerPC. It allows you to pick every part separately, and not just the specs but the brand as well. So you could choose to get a liquid cooling system that's stronger than is strictly necessary, a motherboard with room for multiple upgrades, a stronger power supply that will support not just this graphics card but the next one. etc.
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    I second the suggestion of Cyberpower PC. That's where I got my last two computers and I've been very happy with them. I got an extremely powerful machine a month ago and stayed right at $2k. This includes 32gb RAM and three cooling fans. It should last me for many years playing high end games that require a lot of power. Their tech people are knowledgeable and helpful and can help you build exactly what you need. And no this isn't a paid endorsement. My son told me about them 7-8 years ago when I wanted to get a custom built computer. He has purchased three computers from them and is also very happy with his. Cyberpower specializes in gaming rigs.

As for monitors, I recommend price checking on those. I picked up a pretty good 24" spare for around $135 at Best Buy. Now I'm a dual monitor user as well for not very much money.

Thank you both for your input on Cyberpower PC. I was going to hold out and buy a new PC when EA announces TS5, but I'm not sure how long that's going to take. My computer still works great, but it's 5 years old and I don't want to wait anymore. I've been looking around in Amazon and NewEgg, but I'll take a look at Cyberpower PC on your recommendation. Because as much as I like some of the computer packages in those two other places, I also want to a place where I can buy a set-up customized to what I want. Thanks again to you both!