Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moana & Island Living: Hints to some secret details?

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    To me, this pack looks so heavily like that film. It's clear that OP wasn't saying the sim in the trailer looked like Moana. Its the overall colors and design of the clothing and the hair . This whole entire pack feels like Moana vibes. In fact when I saw the world, I was like wow its like that Disney movie. And ive never really even watched it.

They clearly copied it.

I was very happy with that comment until I read the last bit... they could have simply been doing a favor to people obsessed with Disney, such as myself.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    storyy wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I’m glad you’re joking the conspiracy! 😂
    I personally believe that there is a definite chance that mermaids have better socials with dolphins, and possibly other interactions. I also think maybe possibly that mermaids could turn into a sea animal, hopefully? Somewhat similar to Ursula. Just a hope, no real evidence to support it, besides the fact that vampires can turn into bats so it could be possible.
    I think that's a good point with the vampires/bats! I wonder if it is a possibility, especially since there's not really a set thing that mermaids tend to turn into in their usual stories. BUT you never know! I definitely think that mermaids will have better socials with dolphins and maybe even fish? I wonder if they prefer chicken... or no meat whatsoever! MAYBE if they spend enough time as a mermaid they can become one indefinitely... lol you've got me going now!
    Mermaids have so much potential. I just hope we get the basics. There is also the speculation as of mermaids also being able to be sirens. Love that!

I read somewhere on a post about a hidden cove, but I think its a rabbit hole.

I hope it’s a mermaid gathering place
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    If they really wanted to do the Disney way the should've had Moana walk by the water and be surprised to see a red headed mermaid.

Speaking of red headed mermaids, I can’t wait to make my ceasg!
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I know there is a hidden cAve on the volcano island that is a rabbit hole, but I haven't see or read anything about a cOve.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I know there is a hidden cAve on the volcano island that is a rabbit hole, but I haven't see or read anything about a cOve.

I have seen game changers go in it, but no comment was really made about it. So, idk? Maybe there’s a hidden lot? Like sylvan glade, and the hermits house!
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member

Oh god. Noticing that this pack looks like a carbon copy of that Moana movie is not causing oppression of Polynesian people. You are free to think it has "nothing" do with Moana . But its very obvious that it does. Some of the patterns look right from the movie. It's not polynesian culture thats being critiqued.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

Oh god. Noticing that this pack looks like a carbon copy of that Moana movie is not causing oppression of Polynesian people. You are free to think it has "nothing" do with Moana . But its very obvious that it does. Some of the patterns look right from the movie. It's not polynesian culture thats being critiqued.

Maybe those patterns are typical patterns in Polynesia so, both the movie and this pack might have the same or similar patterns. Why is it a big deal?
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member

Maybe those patterns are typical patterns in Polynesia so, both the movie and this pack might have the same or similar patterns. Why is it a big deal?

The fact that they even chose to go with Polynesian, im sure, is influenced by the popularity of Moana.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    But its not even remotely a copy of Moana? The girl doesn't look like Moana (similar clothes color scheme at best). Moana's home island looked way different and majority of the movie was spent on the ocean so... :/

They share the same theme of Polynesian culture/influence but while there is nothing wrong with getting a little influence, I'd hope the devs went to more direct sources for info and not Disney-ized interpretations.

Honestly. I don’t know. I just wanted to share these similarities to hype people up, and in return I got ridiculed and called ignorant.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    in the live stream last Saturday there's a boat which looks identical to the boats which are in the cave Mona's grandma showed her
    NFwCPQn.png

but two seperate companies couldn't have been "inspired" by the same culture?
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    in the live stream last Saturday there's a boat which looks identical to the boats which are in the cave Mona's grandma showed her
    NFwCPQn.png

but two seperate companies couldn't have been "inspired" by the same culture?

I believe that the sims took stuff from Polynesian culture along with Moana. If sims were to ignore Moana, and not make any Easter eggs or references towards it. I would be surprised.

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I think that they took some inspiration from the movie. I mean if you're making a pack with the same theme that a hugely popular movie used it would make sense that they at least watch the movie to get some ideas. I don't think it was all their research, in fact I'm sure they did a ton of research outside of it, but they probably would have guessed that at least some of their fans would be a fan of the movie and try to create Moana stories with in the game so they probably added some elements to make sure that we could if we wanted too. Since it's dealing with the same culture, it would just make sense to me
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    They are both inspired by Polynesian cultures and myths so yeah, there are bound to be some similarities.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I don't know how much "inspiration" came from the movie, but I would think it's easy to watch a cartoon movie about that region and then create a cartoon sim pack about that region. They are similar in texture and art.

EA probably used similar sources to Disney's in researching the culture, but the themes of the pack are different than the movie. I think they wanted to make an island pack to both introduce ocean swimming (which has been a major request) and to include that culture similar to how we got different cultures (including recipes and CAS) in City Living.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    OOOooh I just got an idea- what if this is a hint towards a collab with DISNEY!? This would be a dream come true!!!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    OOOooh I just got an idea- what if this is a hint towards a collab with DISNEY!? This would be a dream come true!!!

That would be cool honestly. Like what if they make a Disneyworld theme park expansion? Seems really doubtful though.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I don't get it? What does that have to do with the EP?

I think just a happy coincidence.

We’ve had leaks of a “Polynesia Life” Pack since early 2015. I guess they’ve been working on this a while cos SimGuruDaniel posted back in 2015 how they would have to implement oceans, so they’d obviously were already started trying.
  • ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    They better have her hair....
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    ThunderNeb wrote: »
    They better have her hair....

This accessory...

The-Sims-4-EA-PLAY-Stream-2019-11202.jpg

Plus this hair...

The-Sims-4-EA-PLAY-Stream-2019-11188.jpg

Screams Moana to me!

I never said anything about opression. Quit projecting and move along instead of inserting yourself in convos you don't understand.
    edited June 2019
    Jasper7702 wrote: »

I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.
    Post edited by mika on