Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moana & Island Living: Hints to some secret details?

Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
This can’t be a coincidence, and from what I’ve seen. No one has noticed these two things in the pack:

15941378_1820039241570333_4168964638624543126_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=d6135c0d758f3b7948762c69b3cdca63&oe=5D84D549

And the island living girl:

sims-4-island-living-1200x675.jpg

Too similar, right??
Well it gets better:

88080f9dd3a90fc072088b67557981c3.jpg

And that weird totem looking object in the island living trailer on the table,

sims-island-expansion.jpg

Case and Point! This can’t be a coincidence! Tell me what you think down below. Is this just a coincidence or is this a hint to something in the pack not discussed, such as control over the ocean by mermaids? Who knows?

PSA: I am not saying that EA has copied the culture or anything along those lines. I am clearly stating that when I saw this pack certain things looked familiar, and I remember them faintly from Moana. I’m posting this to ring a bell in your head, along with speculating the possibility of it meaning there are possible Easter Eggs or it is just a marketing strategy.

Post edited by Jasper7702 on

Comments

• Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    If you have never seen Moana or the trailer:

The first girl is Moana, the girl below her is the “lead” in the trailer.

The hook is Maui’s magic hook, and the totem thing is an object found in island living.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    thats maui's hook, both are based on Polynesian culture so there's gonna be some similarities :) that said i definitely think this pack was inspired by moana to focus down on the culture itself instead of just islands, which i love!
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    thats maui's hook, both are based on Polynesian culture so there's gonna be some similarities :) that said i definitely think this pack was inspired by moana to focus down on the culture itself instead of just islands, which i love!
    I just love the crossovers, and the main character in the trailer is definitely based on Moana. The real question is though: do you believe it’s just the culture of the pack or is this a hint towards something?

Jasper7702 wrote: »
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    I just love the crossovers, and the main character in the trailer is definitely based on Moana. The real question is though: do you believe it’s just the culture of the pack or is this a hint towards something?

culture of the pack, moana and this just share the culture and will overlap in some areas
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't know how much "inspiration" came from the movie, but I would think it's easy to watch a cartoon movie about that region and then create a cartoon sim pack about that region. They are similar in texture and art.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    My first thought on seeing Nalani was that she had Moana vibes. :D I think it's no coincidence that they took some inspiration from the movie
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Well there's this :D
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Luxury wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Luxury wrote: »
    I'm feeling a little inspired by Moana so I think my storyline is gonna be a young girl discovering the ancient forbidden stories of her people with the help of her grandmother while her father tries to stop her because of a secret in his past

I did notice that there was a Mona-like boat in the scenes they showed

yeah in that CAS video I saw there was a shirt that reminded me of the one she wears, maybe the devs were inspired by the movie a touch as well

I think so:

Definitely got Moana vibes from the trailer as well :D

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I have actually noticed it, and I'm planning to create Moana herself as a mermaid and the mayor of Sulani. If I remember the CAS section of the stream right, there's even the exact same necklace Moana is wearing in the movie. I don't know if that was intentional, though, since I don't know anything about Polynesian culture and fashion. Maybe Moana and Island Living simply drew inspiration from the same source rather than one being a homage to the other, but if it was, that would be awesome.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    The Sim looks nothing like Moana, they are both different ethnicities for one. This is a bit of a reach. Both are about Polynesian cultures so they will appear similar but I really doubt they'd copy material from Disney.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't get it? What does that have to do with the EP?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

It’s just something interesting I saw. I was thinking maybe it is a hint towards possible mermaid powers having to do with the water.
    Everyone is being too critical on this. I’m not saying that the two things are exactly the same! I’m just saying that they are very similar. I’m aware that they have the same culture and all, and that’s why there is similarities. I just thought it would be interesting to point out.
    they did mimick that part in the trailer where moana was walking towards the water in that one shot with the girl in the sims 4 trailer walking back to the water. there's definitely inspiration from the movie haha

also the island does change depending on your actions as a player, which is kinda similar to the movie. i don't think there's anything more to that, but it has its nods towards moana for sure
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    If they really wanted to do the Disney way the should've had Moana walk by the water and be surprised to see a red headed mermaid.
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    If they really wanted to do the Disney way the should've had Moana walk by the water and be surprised to see a red headed mermaid.

I think they wanted to reference it not copy it

• DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    It's not that surprising if you think about it. They (The Sims Team) have taken inspiration from Disney before.

Sims 3 Hidden Springs world has characters inspired by Disney's Cinderella, and The Sims 3 Dragon Valley world has an entire family clearly inspired by Disney's Brave.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I think her the outfit she wears, especially in color, is a reference to Moana. It would make sense for their audience to relate it to something they already know, particularly a fairly popular Polynesian inspired character.

However I don't think it's hinting to anything deeper than that - I think they just used visuals that remind us of that movie and Moana as a character. When Disney researches and develops art for a movie based on the Polynesian Islands, the turnout will be similar to The Sims Team's research and art from the same inspiration. Obviously, as each artist and company has their own vision, there will be differences. But I think if you do your own research on Pacific Islanders, you'll find a lot of the same colors, materials, fabrics, relics, symbology, food, rituals, tattoos, traditions, etc.

I understand what you mean, I totally for a second thought that she was going to step into the water and become a stingray or something :lol: When she became a mermaid I was like "duh, this is a Sims trailer, not the actual movie Moana." The devs did encourage us to use the mermaid powers and befriend the dolphins though, so maybe there will be some connection to their powers and the water/ocean life. It would be VERY COOL if mermaids ghosts float around in the water as different sorts of sea creatures though... I'm buying into your theory more and more :wink:
    storyy wrote: »
    I think her the outfit she wears, especially in color, is a reference to Moana. It would make sense for their audience to relate it to something they already know, particularly a fairly popular Polynesian inspired character.

However I don't think it's hinting to anything deeper than that - I think they just used visuals that remind us of that movie and Moana as a character. When Disney researches and develops art for a movie based on the Polynesian Islands, the turnout will be similar to The Sims Team's research and art from the same inspiration. Obviously, as each artist and company has their own vision, there will be differences. But I think if you do your own research on Pacific Islanders, you'll find a lot of the same colors, materials, fabrics, relics, symbology, food, rituals, tattoos, traditions, etc.

I understand what you mean, I totally for a second thought that she was going to step into the water and become a stingray or something :lol: When she became a mermaid I was like "duh, this is a Sims trailer, not the actual movie Moana." The devs did encourage us to use the mermaid powers and befriend the dolphins though, so maybe there will be some connection to their powers and the water/ocean life. It would be VERY COOL if mermaids ghosts float around in the water as different sorts of sea creatures though... I'm buying into your theory more and more :wink:
    I’m glad you’re joking the conspiracy! 😂
    I personally believe that there is a definite chance that mermaids have better socials with dolphins, and possibly other interactions. I also think maybe possibly that mermaids could turn into a sea animal, hopefully? Somewhat similar to Ursula. Just a hope, no real evidence to support it, besides the fact that vampires can turn into bats so it could be possible.

• storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I’m glad you’re joking the conspiracy! 😂
    I personally believe that there is a definite chance that mermaids have better socials with dolphins, and possibly other interactions. I also think maybe possibly that mermaids could turn into a sea animal, hopefully? Somewhat similar to Ursula. Just a hope, no real evidence to support it, besides the fact that vampires can turn into bats so it could be possible.
    I think that's a good point with the vampires/bats! I wonder if it is a possibility, especially since there's not really a set thing that mermaids tend to turn into in their usual stories. BUT you never know! I definitely think that mermaids will have better socials with dolphins and maybe even fish? I wonder if they prefer chicken... or no meat whatsoever! MAYBE if they spend enough time as a mermaid they can become one indefinitely... lol you've got me going now!
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I agree that the movie probably inspired a few elements of the pack but the woman in the trailer looks nothing like Moana aside from the colors of her outfit imo.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited June 2019
    Briana2425 wrote: »

I think they wanted to reference it not copy it

I know I was just being funny I forgot to put lol.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I read somewhere on a post about a hidden cove, but I think its a rabbit hole.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    OH MY GOSH THIS IS INCREDIBLE TIME TO EMBRACE MAH DISNEY!!!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    To me, this pack looks so heavily like that film. It's clear that OP wasn't saying the sim in the trailer looked like Moana. Its the overall colors and design of the clothing and the hair . This whole entire pack feels like Moana vibes. In fact when I saw the world, I was like wow its like that Disney movie. And ive never really even watched it.

They clearly copied it.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."