Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nicer house or Nicely Decorated?

My sims (new game) are pretty cash poor at the moment. I've just built them a nicer house, not very large, but considering they were living in the trailer lot in Strangerville, a lot nicer than their original house. However, I can't afford to decorate it very well. Do your sims get a nicer house or do they splurge on the decor? I'm guessing the next generation will get the house decorated properly.

Nicer house or Nicely Decorated? 80 votes

Nice House
57%
Dannydanboapisarski2002jeepjeepcatJCsS1MSmcruddbabajayneelanorbretonAnmirlastilljustme2keenowtaydevspice3SimplyToriPapayaSkyBlueSeaWavesHarukotyanEmmaVaneannaliese39mariajane216Toddly13 46 votes
Nicely Decorated
31%
auroraael14Bluefairy286storyyAlexaiColorist40SusanaLeoteStrangerthanScarbo27SarahTheRedJennyggDillynJamesfallenangel66LissyK9sunspriterLoriTSpMissmagoo2BigCatlover26mebagl15MoonSimListentoToppDogg 25 votes
Other
11%
GalacticGalIsb917Briel24DevilNDisguisecatitude5EnkiSchmidtMDianaSimssimmerLellaNorthDakotaGamer 9 votes

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Other
    I am a minimalist. I really do not "decorate/clutter" my homes at all. I eliminate the happy buff by not really decorating.
  • sunspritersunspriter Posts: 125 Member
    Nicely Decorated
    I’m literally the opposite of the previous comment, can’t even play the game without lots of decoration and clutter or just feels cold to me, so I go all out on decorating lol
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Nice House
    I like a nice house. Then I slowly decorate around my Sims. That way the furniture and decorations reflect their experiences.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Nice House
    I concentrate on giving them a nice house with the essentials first, then decoration. I never add too much, some plants and paintings, maybe a couple of rugs...I don't do clutter, because I guess that's best done with MOO...and I don't do MOO. Might use Alt-placement, though, and resize. I think better appliances and furniture is better than decoration.

• Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Nice House
    Nice house first then decorate as sims can afford to buy more things. I love to use photos/ paintings of my sims and don't want to overdecorate in case there is no room for these. I also hate rebuilding when I have to pack away all the clutter then put it back out and rearrange it.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Nicely Decorated
    I'm not sure how you define "nice house", but regardless, I like all of my homes and apartments nicely decorated.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    Other
    I generally build my Sims their home and then use cheats to get them in. Over time, they might decorate it better than I started it out. I tend to grow bored of wall color, wall paper or tile on the floor and spend an hour or so just redoing. Sometimes I'll even remodel the kitchen pulling out the cabinets, du jour, and replacing them giving it a whole new look.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Other
    I use cheats, but I don't like a lot of clutter, not even in my real home.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Nice House
    Always build a nicer house. You can add furnishings as you can just like people do in real life do. When I was very young, I attended church with my dentist. Once, he and his wife had a get together at their house and all the formal rooms were bear because they were just starting out and wanted to wait to buy "nice" furniture instead of just buying anything they could afford.
  • JadesimmerJadesimmer Posts: 76 Member
    Nice House
    I like decorating in a restricted house. That's what i call challenge :smile:
    4kTG3iX.png
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Other
    When starting out without money cheats, I spend most money on higher quality furniture, like a decent bed, shower, fridge and stove. So the house will be pretty basic, no landscaping and little to no decorations.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Nice House
    I prefer to start with a nice house and decorate it over time as my sims earn more money.
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    Nicely Decorated
    Generally speaking I prefer to do both but if I had to choose I'd say nicely decorated, you can do some amazing things with a very limited amount of space if you're willing to get creative.
  • SweaterKatSweaterKat Posts: 36 Member
    Nicely Decorated
    Usually I don't put LOTS of clutter but I do like the house to not look barren. So I put simple things like a paper towel holder or books on a table. Its not enough to look like a mess or cost too much but it makes it feel more like a real home and not just a model house just for show. However, if I'm in a situation with very little money and have to choose I would pick decorated because its more realistic and in my opinion its more fun to play that way.
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    Nice House
    I'm not sure how you define "nice house", but regardless, I like all of my homes and apartments nicely decorated.

By nice house I mean nicer than the last one. For example, I moved my sims into a house I built, that's significantly nicer than the house they started in, but its barely furnished at the moment. They have a fairly nice kitchen, but everything else is pretty basic at the moment. when the family funds get to 25,000 simoleans they get to decorate the next room (that leaves simoleans to afford the bills which are pretty tiny at the moment since they don't have much in the way of stuff and the house, although much nicer than the starter, is by no means huge).
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Nice House
    Some like decorations, some don't. I don't really decorate irl so a nicer house/structure for me is the way to go.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Other
    It’ll always depend for me, since I play with so many different households. But I love decor and clutter. The houses don’t feel lived in without it.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Nice House
    I LOVE houses. I work in real estate marketing. It means more to me that they have enough space and an ideal layout. So I often move them into a “forever” home as soon as possible. Sometimes that means I delete decorative stuff from a house to make it affordable for them. It’s cool to have a happy environment buff, but it isn’t too significant so I don’t think it is necessary at all for good gameplay. I prioritize upgrading their furniture and appliances before adding a lot of decor. The better the stuff, the better they manage. I recently learned a few cheats for cluttering tabletops and shelves better, so I am excited to try them out. I love how creative the community is with combining objects to make something different, or brilliantly using an object in a way that it wasn’t designed for. I wish I had that touch, and time!
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Nice House
    I'm not the best builder, but I love interior design, so I stick to my strengths.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Nice House
    My sims buy the space they want/need, and fill it as they can afford to.
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    Nice House
    I like a nice home, let's face it Sims spend very little time in a bedroom so when I build a starter home they get exactly what the room states "bed" room lol. As my money increases I will jazz the rooms up a bit..I just like to focus more on the common areas and outdoors(my Sims spend most of their time outdoors)
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Nicely Decorated
    My sims could live outside and still be happy if it's nicely decorated lol
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Nice House
    I picked "nice house" in that I try to pick a good structure I'll be able to live with and add on to as I play. I don't mind starting off pretty bare, since I know it'll fill up with stuff as I go on. And honestly, I'd rather spend all my money on higher QUALITY stuff (appliances, plumbing, beds, ect) and have very bare house to start, and then end later gradually decorate with, like, paintings that my sims make themselves. I rarely ever BUY decorations at all if it's a house I'm actually playing in; I only do that when I'm decorating a house or room for fun and then leaving it for a NPC lol. And it's actually kinda a minor pet peeve of mine when I download an expensive house form the gallery and it's full of clutter and decor but, like, still has the flipping mod pod sleeper ffs lol.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    Nicely Decorated
    I use money cheats to get nicely decorated homes. That's the only time I use them. I find it difficult to decorate as I go along playing a household. I'm better at decorating when I have the whole picture in my mind.
  • gimmiemoreblairgimmiemoreblair Posts: 53 Member
    Nice House
    what i usually do is build a nice home first and then over time have it decorated when they get a decent amount of simoleons and clutter it up to feel more homey!!