Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do they really ‘listen’?

Comments

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 As for Graham's follow up tweet, feedback comes in multiple forms. I'm sure that our feedback played a role in shaping the toddlers, but the constant yelling for them did not. That's the difference between what Ninja said and what Graham said.
    I’d like to point at that one crucial word in Graham’s tweet: ‘persistence’ ;)

At this point in the game, I don't honestly see how anyone can truly think that toddlers were never going to come if the community didn't speak up. They were announced ahead of launch that they would be included but then were pulled because they couldn't be completed in time. Just that fact alone says that they were always intended, as Ninja stated. But I do think the development time after launch may have turned out even longer than originally planned because, by then, they felt they had to make toddlers worth the wait.
    Cars were also a feature announced to come before the base game was released before they were cut with toddlers and almost 5 years later we still don't know if they will ever come.

I don't know, maybe they meant the FX cars? :p I still have faith that we'll get real cars, eventually.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    @JoAnne65 As for Graham's follow up tweet, feedback comes in multiple forms. I'm sure that our feedback played a role in shaping the toddlers, but the constant yelling for them did not. That's the difference between what Ninja said and what Graham said.

At this point in the game, I don't honestly see how anyone can truly think that toddlers were never going to come if the community didn't speak up. They were announced ahead of launch that they would be included but then were pulled because they couldn't be completed in time. Just that fact alone says that they were always intended, as Ninja stated. But I do think the development time after launch may have turned out even longer than originally planned because, by then, they felt they had to make toddlers worth the wait.
    Cars were also a feature announced to come before the base game was released before they were cut with toddlers and almost 5 years later we still don't know if they will ever come.

I don't know, maybe they meant the FX cars? :p I still have faith that we'll get real cars, eventually.

Nope grant said our sims could own cars and drive them but couldn’t speak to if they were animated (ie Sims getting in and out like Sims 2). This was in 2013, and by 2014 we were back to no comment. Basketball was also confirmed for the base game and then didn’t get added until 2 years later through the purchase of the city living expansion. Sims 4 promised A LOT of content/features pre-launch that either didn’t make it or were never actually in development. Doesn’t mean we won’t get it, but it does mean they were mismanaged when making the base game.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Serious question: How could they implement cars in sims 4? Would there be any benefit to them?

They worked in 3 because open world, and sims 2 it worked because a carpool came an hour earlier to bring your sims to work, and if you called a taxi there was a waiting period for the taxi to arrive, and cars had a benefit to being owned, in sims 4 travel is instantaneous as soon as the command get through the queue there isn't any waiting. (other than a loading screen, but I'm not counting that because cars wont make the loading screen go away)

Dont get me wrong I love cars in the previous games and have 10GB worth of CC cars for each game, but I'm just not sure there will be a benefit for sims 4 cars?
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    Frankly I don't think they listen to the more important issues at all. Either they can't technically do anything about them or they're just swept under the rug.
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    Frankly I don't think they listen to the more important issues at all. Either they can't technically do anything about them or they're just swept under the rug.

I think this might be hitting the nail on the head.

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'll tell this little story. I sent in an email ticket to customer support. What I got back three days later essentially amounted to, "We've done everything we can. We're not replying to you anymore."

The complaint? Misinformation given to me by a live chat advisor. They were responding as if the email was about the previous ticket, which was an entirely different issue! I had to go through chat again to find someone who could figure out what happened. Thankfully, I got a much more helpful advisor, but I'm not a fan of EA's customer service.

Perhaps CS and the Sims team are not the same department, but judging by that small experience, I don't think they listen.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    As much as you can suggest an idea to the gurus, what actually makes it into the game and is deemed acceptable to spend time on is ultimately decided by their business division, EA. They decide what content is greenlighted, and what the devs can spend their time working on. An idea that loads want it but doesn't seem it'd sell? Yeah not getting resources dedicated to it. Updating babies to not be objects (or also updating teens to actually be shorter than adults) would be a good amount of work, that would be I'll received if not launched in a free patch. Ergo a lot of work, no profit, not greenlit for devs to work on.
    caitytrina.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited May 2019
    Me I can highly say that I'm not heard cause me and a few simmers are asking for better personalities. And you know the rules with Maxis : the fewer we are, the less we are heard. :) So at this point, I can say at 80% we won't see any change in this area, sadly. Go back to the roots of TS2 the next time, please...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

So in essence no they don’t listen unless you are a teenage girl who’s not already a regular Sims player. Kind of obvious, with the constant cashing in on trendy things and novelties, but this is clarification nonetheless. Those of us who are considered “core players” are basically expected to just buy whatever, because the studio feels our money is guaranteed.

This attitude will (and has already) make “core” players jump ship. Losing that “core” market is bad for business.

Yeah, that's pretty much what a lot of us have been saying since the launch of the game. It's been so watered down. So dumbed down. It really a sad shame, because S4 could have been so much more.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    You would think that EA/Maxis could try to get back all those who played The Sims from day one and would again if the game had progressed properly instead of chopping and changing. Those players are probably still interested and influencing the next generation to play as well. It's a game that all generations could enjoy even the elderly who remember their own dollshouses.

They should be reading articles like this:
    https://mcvuk.com/new-research-shows-record-numbers-of-uk-people-aged-55-play-video-games/

"The survey – which assessed the views of 2,000 UK adults as part of the Must Play May campaign – reports “record numbers” of the 55+ population is “regularly playing games”, with one in five grandparents sitting down to play with grandchildren and 40 per cent reporting that they play regularly with their own kids.
    While it’s anecdotally still thought that gaming chiefly appeals to younger people, the report also confirmed that while 85 per cent of under 35s state they frequently pick up a controller, 75 per cent of the polled aged 35-44 also played video games. While 40 per cent of that group jumped on to play with their kids, 31 per cent said they played games to relax.
    40 per cent of 60+-year-old players reportedly play strategy games “to keep the brain in tip-top shape”, whilst 20 per cent enjoy multiplayer games “to earn brownie points and keep up with their grandchildren”.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    CaityTrina wrote: »
    As much as you can suggest an idea to the gurus, what actually makes it into the game and is deemed acceptable to spend time on is ultimately decided by their business division, EA. They decide what content is greenlighted, and what the devs can spend their time working on. An idea that loads want it but doesn't seem it'd sell? Yeah not getting resources dedicated to it. Updating babies to not be objects (or also updating teens to actually be shorter than adults) would be a good amount of work, that would be I'll received if not launched in a free patch. Ergo a lot of work, no profit, not greenlit for devs to work on.

Free improvements to the game aren't necessarily without profit - adding toddlers brought people back to the game, and those people (I'm one of them) spent money on both new content and old packs. Toddlers easily paid for themselves.

As much as I want them, I don't see improved babies having the same impact. Core improvements to the AI and Sim personalities might bring back some who have lost interest in the game. It's a huge undertaking, however, and could really bug up the game.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

Free improvements to the game aren't necessarily without profit - adding toddlers brought people back to the game, and those people (I'm one of them) spent money on both new content and old packs. Toddlers easily paid for themselves.

As much as I want them, I don't see improved babies having the same impact. Core improvements to the AI and Sim personalities might bring back some who have lost interest in the game. It's a huge undertaking, however, and could really bug up the game.

Different features does take longer time to make, and unfortunately they probably have to decide what to focus on, because they are limited by time and budget. Some things like animations are supposedly much more difficult to do than adding an objects like a chair.

I think it also has to do with how the game is built from the ground up, the impression I have gotten is that it is much more difficult to change something that is in the base code and affects everything (like babies) than adding something new like an expansion pack, stuff pack etc.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    jonesboy22 wrote: »
    I have lost total faith in the developers. This game will never reach it's potential. It took 4 years for them to have sims use 1 counter to cook on. It's been 5 years & the core gameplay mechanics haven't evolved. The sims themselves are dumb, & traits mean nothing. The Whim system is trash. It hasn't been improved ever. In fact, we now have the option to hide it. That says a lot.

5 years & in you can't choose boyfriend/girlfriend or engaged status via CAS.

In lawes don't exist.

5 years & no chemistry/attraction system.

5 years no slow dancing.

5 years no bunk buds.

5 years & sims still talk with their backs to each & play musical chairs during conversations.

I could go on and on. Maxis have changed and not for the better. They pump out half plum content at full price & are making a killing off this game. People who have played TS2 even TS3, know that TS4, gameplay & gameplay features wise, is shallow.

The Sims 4's live mode is arguably the weakest of all versions. The game design is just non-existent. There's little to no progression, risk, reward, and challenge. Things like the trait/AI system have been in the same, terrible state since 2014.

The fact that they designed a terrible system like whims, tried to fix it, failed, and then gave up and disabled it altogether speaks volumes.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2019
    EA does not stand over top of Maxis and tell them nope, you have to build University pack now, or nope you can't build that you have to build this. Just ask Lyndsay who has said for many years now, Maxis has a tremendous amount of freedom to carry out whatever it is they want to build. It's not EA's fault if Maxis mismanages their budgets. ETA: And for Maxis it's not a waste, they have made one billion for this game..so it's not a loss..only to fans who aren't happy with it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    I have lost total faith in the developers. This game will never reach it's potential. It took 4 years for them to have sims use 1 counter to cook on. It's been 5 years & the core gameplay mechanics haven't evolved. The sims themselves are dumb, & traits mean nothing. The Whim system is trash. It hasn't been improved ever. In fact, we now have the option to hide it. That says a lot.

In lawes don't exist.

5 years no slow dancing.

5 years no bunk buds.

5 years & sims still talk with their backs to each & play musical chairs during conversations.

I could go on and on. Maxis have changed and not for the better. They pump out half plum content at full price & are making a killing off this game. People who have played TS2 even TS3, know that TS4, gameplay & gameplay features wise, is shallow.

These two points, speak volumes. A video game that is supposed to simulate life and I can't even give my sim a boyfriend in CAS...
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member

In lawes don't exist.

5 years no slow dancing.

5 years no bunk buds.

These two points, speak volumes. A video game that is supposed to simulate life and I can't even give my sim a boyfriend in CAS...

I don't think you could do this in any of the games. They start as room mate so aren't you supposed to work towards it in game?
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Game is very lack in feature I agree and the gimmicks (multitasking, emotions) is somewhat lackluster, like how is it even possible for sim multitasking while they are using toilet then get out to put book in their inventory then get back to bathroom to finish the job, bladder still getting full while sims is picking the book. Go figure! And happy emotions overlapping other emotions in a mod free game.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

“Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment” (Latin Proverb)

raw
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

How cheerful. :D
    #Team Occult
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »

How cheerful. :D

Perhaps not, But it IS wise, especially when dealing with EA... They prey on hope.

The only thing EA ever listens to is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JqN3ZNH-Lg

Post edited by Evil_One on
    raw
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    The new survey is the exact same as the previous ones. How many times did we fill it out now - Three, four times? It's hard to believe they listen to us when they have to keep asking the same questions. The survey is only one example which feels like they try to keep us busy. I thought the surveys were precisely for the reason to understand the fanbase, but the questions are literally repetitive and not really going into any kind of depth or detail about what fans could want.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    The new survey is the exact same as the previous ones. How many times did we fill it out now - Three, four times? It's hard to believe they listen to us when they have to keep asking the same questions. The survey is only one example which feels like they try to keep us busy. I thought the surveys were precisely for the reason to understand the fanbase, but the questions are literally repetitive and not really going into any kind of depth or detail about what fans could want.

They're obviously trying to get answers from different fans, not just you over and over again.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

They're obviously trying to get answers from different fans, not just you over and over again.

I agree. I think they're interested in the feedback from all of the new players who got the base game for free.

I can't help but wonder if this is an experiment for the future. Now that they are fully live service, they could be considering a low priced, bare-bones base game for Sims 5, even a free-to-play model, like a lot of MMO companies do, and set up for a lot more microtransactions for DLC, like the Sims 3 did with the store. More people would get drawn into trying out the game if it were free, but compelled to purchase DLC because there would be nothing in it.

I could be way off into conspiracy land (lol) but I don't trust EA's "marketing" strategies and experiments.
    #Team Occult