Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can the game with no mods/cc cause LEs?

Just a question.
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)

Comments

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yes, very possible. Just one that happens right off the top of my head, if you have a sim quit the spotlight, LE's from the game will happen (unless that has been fixed, I know it was a thing). Just with no mod, you won't be notified. You can delete any LE files in your documents/EA folder and - if you have no mods/cc - see any new ones that pop up from EA.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I just got one about some food platter thingy. And the LE didn't mention any mod. But it could very well be from one.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    EA has whoops all the time. I'm trying to recall if I heard about EA issues around food platters, but I really haven't had my nose in the tech side for a while now.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited April 2019
    what is LES?
    Anyways, when i used not to use mods something similar with food platters happened to me, i jsut don't remember what it was anymore, i just deleted the save, cuz i dind't find any solutions. I think that i wasn't able to wash them or something like that.
    Last Exceptions.
    @Karon
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Got one a couple of days ago when I changed a holiday's requirements, no mods or cc. It didn't cause any problems - the game handled the error just fine, and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't looked at my last exception errors. I've also got one from reading a 'beginner' gardening book, one involving a mysterious hamburger (which my Sims never eat) and one caused by an unnamed 'social interaction' that was evidently impossible.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Last Exceptions.
    @Karon

Oh, thanks. I don't remember though... If i had any when i played without cc/modless.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    To echo what ChelleJo said, yeah, you definitely can. The fact that mods can trigger them is more just a helpful aspect of the design of exception handling for the game and for the programming languages it uses. Exception is a term in programming that's more or less synonymous with the word "error."

Here's how wikipedia defines it: "Exception handling is the process of responding to the occurrence, during computation, of exceptions – anomalous or exceptional conditions requiring special processing – often disrupting the normal flow of program execution. It is provided by specialized programming language constructs, computer hardware mechanisms like interrupts or operating system IPC facilities like signals."

So basically it's just a way of reporting that something happened that wasn't supposed to happen that the program noticed and in some cases, preventing that thing that wasn't supposed to happen from cascading into other problems in the program. Often exception handling will attempt to contain an error if it occurs. LastException files are sort of like journalists reporting on stories they find. The program notices an exception, it creates a LastException file with any info it was able to gather about the error, and reports to you in-game that it occurred, as well as making that more permanent record of it happening (the LE file). Those who know enough about how the game works can then interpret the error messages inside and use it to help figure out what went wrong and why.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Whole time I thought you were only notified of LEs if you had MCCC installed
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Yes it can, but you wouldn't know since it's MCCC that gives you the notification. I think you would just find the text file in your folder.
    @Chazzzy @SiliClone there's other mods that do it too.