Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about the addition of the freelancer career?

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I'm over the moon about everything in this career!
    Huh. I've never had this many people comment on something I made before... Maybe I did something right for once??
    funny-gifs20.gif

• N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm really excited, but wish they added more freelance option.
    Maggiedoll wrote: »
    I'm wondering what the difference (in the game) is between being freelance and self-employed? They're not exactly synonyms, but in game terms, it seems like freelance would fall under the umbrella of self-employment.

In the game, self employment is just title. It doesn't do much besides answer the "ask about career" question. With freelance you get gjgs and get paid according to the quality of your work. You submit your work to the client and they can reject it or accept it.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Yes and no.(I can't make up my mind) I like free stuff as long as it adds to the game. In this case I like more freelance careers. But to be honest I agree with Chazzy statement. Hence why I have yes and no on my opening statement.
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    Where is the "I don't care about this feature" option.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Really excited about this idea :-) I love the freelance careers and my favorites are covered with these new ones, but I would also love to see archaeology and photography and stuff like that
    Where is the "I don't care about this feature" option.

You know... I didn't think of that at the time. Just my tiny brain working it's stuff I guess.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I didn’t like that the Guru mentioned in the stream that he’s excited to see how modders can add to the Freelance option. It felt to me like they just wanted to do the bare minimum and make us rely on modders to flesh things out. And that whole “we may add more later” just sounds like fluff to make the people feel good about this.
    As a modder, I just took it like he was trying to acknowledge the modding community and what it is they do. If I were making a game, I'd be genuinely excited to see people liking it enough to add onto it in their own ways and there's some pretty deep modding done in this community, ranging from CC that can make sims look wildly different (like more photo-realistic, for example) to gameplay changes like roBurky's Meaningful Stories that change how emotions work. But, you could interpret the statement in a number of different ways I spose.

Anywho, I don't know how much I'll personally use the freelance career; careers in general don't tend to hold my attention long in this game cause I get weary of the routinized nature of it. But if it's free, I'll take it. :p Atm, I'm more curious to see what kind of bugs they fixed that one of the gurus was talking big about on twitter, the amount of them fixed.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm excited for it. I love getting new careers so I'm looking forward to trying it out on my sims. I would like to see a freelance photographer career in the future.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I'm not sure how I feel yet since I didn't watch the stream. I'll wait to fully form my opinion until I get the chance to play with it a bit. Although, I've said in the past that it feels like they just keep repeating the same careers we already have with slight variations that hardly set them apart and it seems like I might also have some of the same qualms with this career. It's cool we're getting another laptop though. That'll be nice for the people who want one, but don't want StrangerVille.

Pretty much how I feel about it too. Like we can already sell paintings and choose to work as a painter, but now we get a third option to work as a freelance painter? Same for writer. I'm tired of my Sims having to learn the same skills and doing the same jobs. I would much rather have more different jobs like plumbers, teachers, office workers, lifeguards etc. I'm even fine with rabbithole careers.

I'm all for different options, but they tell us on a monthly basis how they always have to consider which features have higher priority to implement and how they carefully have to pick what to work on, so personally I think this was unnecessary and the resources should have been used for something better.
  • SereneMossSereneMoss Posts: 128 Member
    i think it would be cool if its freelancer, then any skill that you can get money from
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    I have seen plenty of times on here people begging the devs to overhaul bg careers so that they weren't strictly rabbit holes. Now they've done that by adding this option, which was likely the least expensive and time consuming way to do it, and they're giving it to us for free along with a lot of other stuff and people are complaining that it's not good enough for them? Wow! :o the sense of entitlement of some people is really astonishing.

I wouldn't say we are acting entitled. We are simply stating our opinions and why we feel the way we do. We aren't insulting anyone that does want this. I even admitted that perhaps there must be more to it than just what was discussed here. If there is then great - that may make it worth it. We are all players - we all want different things. We should be alright with that. I am not going to insult the people that DO want this just because I think it's redundant. The players I don't think asked for this - they are being given it and that's okay. They more than likely didn't even know it was going to be an option. But when I weigh this against more things for elders, more spots to take vacations, education related things (including professions and zones), new lot types, new skill sets etc then my honest opinion is that I find this lacking. I am not going to apologize for that.

Again...they're giving it to you for free! I was brought up that when someone gives you a gift, you don't complain about it, you say thank you. They could, and probably should based on many of the prevailing attitudes in these forums, just drop bug fixes (which according to SimGuruNick, this will be a huge hug fixing patch in addition to all the freebies) and any other content should be paid content. Because I honestly don't see why they should bother doing the extra niceties considering all the plum they get in return.

And if I was to give you something you already have five of would you still be as excited as the first one you received from the same person? Even if you REALLY liked and wanted it the first time around? First time might get the response of "OMG YES! THANK YOU!!" the last one might be "Um - thanks?" Why can't people just accept that we all want different things but - if it will make you feel better

O M G!! YOU DEVS ROCK!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS CARROT YOU ARE THROWING OUR WAY!! WE HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS BEFORE!! THIS WILL REVOLUTIONIZE HOW I PLAY THIS GAME!! AND FREE YOU SAY!! AMAZING!!

*rolls eyes*
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I have seen plenty of times on here people begging the devs to overhaul bg careers so that they weren't strictly rabbit holes. Now they've done that by adding this option, which was likely the least expensive and time consuming way to do it, and they're giving it to us for free along with a lot of other stuff and people are complaining that it's not good enough for them? Wow! :o the sense of entitlement of some people is really astonishing.

I wouldn't say we are acting entitled. We are simply stating our opinions and why we feel the way we do. We aren't insulting anyone that does want this. I even admitted that perhaps there must be more to it than just what was discussed here. If there is then great - that may make it worth it. We are all players - we all want different things. We should be alright with that. I am not going to insult the people that DO want this just because I think it's redundant. The players I don't think asked for this - they are being given it and that's okay. They more than likely didn't even know it was going to be an option. But when I weigh this against more things for elders, more spots to take vacations, education related things (including professions and zones), new lot types, new skill sets etc then my honest opinion is that I find this lacking. I am not going to apologize for that.

Again...they're giving it to you for free! I was brought up that when someone gives you a gift, you don't complain about it, you say thank you. They could, and probably should based on many of the prevailing attitudes in these forums, just drop bug fixes (which according to SimGuruNick, this will be a huge hug fixing patch in addition to all the freebies) and any other content should be paid content. Because I honestly don't see why they should bother doing the extra niceties considering all the plum they get in return.

And if I was to give you something you already have five of would you still be as excited as the first one you received from the same person? Even if you REALLY liked and wanted it the first time around? First time might get the response of "OMG YES! THANK YOU!!" the last one might be "Um - thanks?" Why can't people just accept that we all want different things but - if it will make you feel better

O M G!! YOU DEVS ROCK!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS CARROT YOU ARE THROWING OUR WAY!! WE HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS BEFORE!! THIS WILL REVOLUTIONIZE HOW I PLAY THIS GAME!! AND FREE YOU SAY!! AMAZING!!

*rolls eyes*

I rest my case. :)
  • LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    I am glad you expanded the writer's career! If only they would add a car stuff pack as an alternative to the going place by using the phone.. I understand there is no open world, but seeing a car in my garage is something I would love, even if it is mostly decorative...
  • Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
    I’ve had a family for a long time that I made when toddlers first came out. Lucy Blackwell is a single mom with twin toddlers. Since they are the first toddlers I made, and also the first household I felt courageous enough to put on the gallery, I can’t bear to let them age up!

Anyway, I wanted Lucy to be a writer, and stay at home to look after Clara and Cassandra. I persevered for quite a while, publishing books and pretending that Lucy was self employed, but ultimately I got bored. I felt like there was no motivation for Lucy to continue, so I stopped playing their household before Seasons came out.

I returned to this last night, and it was “the missing piece” for me. For the first time, Lucy had feedback, and I had a sense that her career mattered. Before, there was no one to impress, no one to care whether she finished her book, or went for a walk. After all, there were always money cheats to save the day!

Now Lucy and I are both much more enthusiastic about her work. Granted, I only played briefly last night, but for the first time in a long time, I can’t wait to return to Lucy’s household, and that makes me happy.
    I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    not excited at all. boring as heck update. please announce university.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 696 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm not sure how I feel yet since I didn't watch the stream. I'll wait to fully form my opinion until I get the chance to play with it a bit. Although, I've said in the past that it feels like they just keep repeating the same careers we already have with slight variations that hardly set them apart and it seems like I might also have some of the same qualms with this career. It's cool we're getting another laptop though. That'll be nice for the people who want one, but don't want StrangerVille.
    So here are my updated thoughts after playing through all of the branches. I like the system for the freelance careers, but I still wish they would have chosen careers that weren't so similar to ones we already have. I mean, I get why they did it... It's a base game update, so you need the skills, item requirements, etc. to all be base game accessible, but ugh! I want something new, not the same handful of skills and activities rehashed into a "new" career over and over again. I will probably still play with the freelance options and do appreciate them, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed. I hope they expand on the options more in the future.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    I'm not "over the moon" or "really excited" about the addition but I think it's nice. I just wish my freelance artist sim would stop putting her sketchpad on random surfaces after using it and just put it back to her inventory.
    Same with toddler tablets, normal tablets, guitars and violins. I want my sims to put those back in their pockets after using.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    veronica55 wrote: »
    I'm not "over the moon" or "really excited" about the addition but I think it's nice. I just wish my freelance artist sim would stop putting her sketchpad on random surfaces after using it and just put it back to her inventory.
    Same with toddler tablets, normal tablets, guitars and violins. I want my sims to put those back in their pockets after using.

::g:: Totally off topic, but this is a peeve of mine. I'm still looking for a tablet one of my toddlers dumped somewhere months ago, and Sims always leave the violins and guitars in the worst possible place.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I would love to see them add gigs for other skills, especially those that don’t have a full time career. Like gigs for archeology, herbalism, wellness, handyman,DJ, Singing, photography, even parenting. I could even see my scientist, detective, and Doctor working part time like this. I would love my scientist who has job level 10 to be able to quit or take a leave of absence from her science career to have children and raise them doing freelance from home ( or a generic science lab I have created or downloaded from the gallery) using all the equipment in the lab. I have some who have developed the logic skill that don’t work, but I would love to see them freelance from home too.... maybe chest tournament gigs, or game show gigs or things like that. I have always wanted my handy man that doesn't Have a job, but ends up selling things from the carpentry table to be a plumber, so I think it would be neat if he could be sent to others houses ( or community lits) to repair things. I hope they don’t limit freelancing to just base game skills. Please give those of us who have bought all the packs a little something new to look forward to also 😊!
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I would love to see them add gigs for other skills, especially those that don’t have a full time career. Like gigs for archeology, herbalism, wellness, handyman,DJ, Singing, photography, even parenting. I could even see my scientist, detective, and Doctor working part time like this. I would love my scientist who has job level 10 to be able to quit or take a leave of absence from her science career to have children and raise them doing freelance from home ( or a generic science lab I have created or downloaded from the gallery) using all the equipment in the lab. I have some who have developed the logic skill that don’t work, but I would love to see them freelance from home too.... maybe chest tournament gigs, or game show gigs or things like that. I have always wanted my handy man that doesn't Have a job, but ends up selling things from the carpentry table to be a plumber, so I think it would be neat if he could be sent to others houses ( or community lits) to repair things. I hope they don’t limit freelancing to just base game skills. Please give those of us who have bought all the packs a little something new to look forward to also 😊!

And those of us who have some of the packs. I'd really like to see a Vampire related Freelancer.

Man, after reading all of these (yes, I did read them ALL) I'm really starting to change my mind about my vote...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I. have not patched yet, but from reviews I've seen, I am in love with the freelance careers! It takes something "old" and revamps it~ I love the gigs, the request text are written hilarious! xD you have a chance fail or succeed. You still have something to work for, and it brings that sketch pad I never touched to life, heh~ I am def over the moon~
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    For those who have played through them already, I have a question. Do you unlock reward items upon promotion like in the original options? (Or do you need to use mods/cheats to get that good easel?)
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited April 2019

I don’t mean to sound insensitive but you must have missed the part where Sims 4 is a live service game and a part of that is patch content, or engagement content.

This content is not free - it was included in the service we paid for that EA mandated for this game, among many others. I get irked when I see people tossing around the old “they don’t have to release content in patches”- because that’s literally a part of the live service model. These aren’t gifts - although they can be presented as such, this is a business transaction. They are recognizing revenue for these additions. At no point are they just the development team being nice. They are there to make people boot up the game every once and awhile.

I don’t mean to sound insensitive but you must have missed the part where Sims 4 is a live service game and a part of that is patch content, or engagement content.

This content is not free - it was included in the service we paid for that EA mandated for this game, among many others. I get irked when I see people tossing around the old “they don’t have to release content in patches”- because that’s literally a part of the live service model. These aren’t gifts - although they can be presented as such, this is a business transaction. They are recognizing revenue for these additions. At no point are they just the development team being nice. They are there to make people boot up the game every once and awhile.

Way to rain on our parade...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ESTAQ99ESTAQ99 Posts: 8 New Member
    > @nerdfashion said:
    Way to rain on our parade...

But certainly true. The reality of it is that for most people this new update is just an annoyance since it messed up with hundreds (several hundreds) of mods and cc's and added very little to the game. Most of it has been already added by modders long time ago.