Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag/freeze in-game despite being above recommended requirements?

Hey! I have The Sims 3 and five expansion packs of the game, I use minimal CC and my used mods are the likes of Overwatch and Master Controller. My laptop seems to be above the minimum (and even recommended) requirements for the game, yet I'm still having issues with lag in-game and common freezing, despite being on low graphic settings. The game becomes completely unusable if interfered with a mod like NRAAS Story Progression.

Laptop: Acer Aspire A315-51
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (however I've tried using the compability modes of Win7 and 8)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-7100U CPU 2.40 GHz Quad-Core
Memory: 4 GB DDR4
Storage: 128 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD
Resolution: Full HD
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 620

Does anyone have any clue on reasons why my game is like this? Any tips or feedback would be helpful!

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    This game requires a mid range gaming desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware unless you have a more powerful gaming laptop. Your laptop is designed for general use and is not meant to run a 3d game like the sims. It does not meet requirements to run this game. There is nothing you can do to change hardware in your laptop to make it meet requirements. Laptop processor and video card can not be upgraded and your processor and video card are one. Your stuck with the specs you buy when it comes to laptop. If you want to play this game the way it was meant to be played, you would need another computer that meets requirements. Sorry for the bad news.

What Ep's are you playing? If you have Pets, Seasons, IP and ITF , these are the most powerful Eps in the game and require a good gaming computer to run them. the more you add to this game, the more demanding the game becomes.

You can try uninstalling the more powerful eps, Play on low, play in windowed mode, and or lower your game resolution in game options. All will take stress off your computer

Make sure the game is installed on D drive not C drive. Your C drive is too small to game on
    @igazor can this laptop handle story progression mod? Thanks
  • ddominicddominic Posts: 352 Member
    This game requires a mid range gaming desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware unless you have a more powerful gaming laptop. Your laptop is designed for general use and is not meant to run a 3d game like the sims. It does not meet requirements to run this game. There is nothing you can do to change hardware in your laptop to make it meet requirements. Laptop processor and video card can not be upgraded and your processor and video card are one. Your stuck with the specs you buy when it comes to laptop. If you want to play this game the way it was meant to be played, you would need another computer that meets requirements. Sorry for the bad news.

Is that entirely true though? I've met people with low-to-mid range laptops with smooth running games. Not to mention the fact that most of the general non-gamer public that plays The Sims games uses laptops.
    What Ep's are you playing? If you have Pets, Seasons, IP and ITF , these are the most powerful Eps in the game and require a good gaming computer to run them. the more you add to this game, the more demanding the game becomes.

Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons and University Life.

The game is installed in the C drive, but all the files are only 16.9 GB, so considering the drive is 118 GB and there's 50 GB of free space left, I don't see why there would be a huge issue? But I might try reinstalling it to D drive if it would improve the gameplay.

edited March 2018
    Every computer is different . This game does require a a mid range gaming desktop. Most people can not run this game on a low end laptop and take the risk of of shortening the lifespan or ruining the laptop trying to play this game on hardware that should not run this game. There are those lucky few who have low end laptops that somehow get the game to run but it's not the majority. It's usually older laptops too and those laptops will get damaged over time from playing this game.. Your laptop is newer than the game. The intel 620 integrated card is not designed to run this game, low end and integrated with your processor. You only have 4 gb ram which is also a problem. The game alone needs 4 gb ram to run. You need extra ram to run windows, origin , your processor and video card. windows 10 takes allot to run. Eventually your game saves will run into error code 12 for not having enough memory for the game

Many people play this game on a gaming computer and know better than to try and play this game on a low end laptop. You will get far less game issues having a computer that meets requirements. The sims 3 is a pretty powerful game and would not be classed as a "Casual" game. The sims 2 takes allot less to run and your laptop might be fine running that whole game

You need to leave 50 gb hard drive space with this game. For now your fine but you may need to change the install . If right now you have 50 gb free this would not be your lag issues. It would be the EPs you have installed and running the game on low end hardware. From what I hear story progression needs a good gaming computer to run that. That is why I pages igazor who is a mod expert.

• ddominicddominic Posts: 352 Member
    Every computer is different . This game does require a a mid range gaming desktop. Most people can not run this game on a low end laptop and take the risk of of shortening the lifespan or ruining the laptop trying to play this game on hardware that should not run this game. There are those lucky few who have low end laptops that somehow get the game to run but it's not the majority. It's usually older laptops too and those laptops will get damaged over time from playing this game.. Your laptop is newer than the game. The intel 620 integrated card is not designed to run this game, low end and integrated with your processor. You only have 4 gb ram which is also a problem. The game alone needs 4 gb ram to run. You need extra ram to run windows, origin , your processor and video card. windows 10 takes allot to run. Eventually your game saves will run into error code 12 for not having enough memory for the game

Many people play this game on a gaming computer and know better than to try and play this game on a low end laptop. You will get far less game issues having a computer that meets requirements. The sims 3 is a pretty powerful game and would not be classed as a "Casual" game. The sims 2 takes allot less to run and your laptop might be fine running that whole game

You need to leave 50 gb hard drive space with this game. For now your fine but you may need to change the install . If right now you have 50 gb free this would not be your lag issues. It would be the EPs you have installed and running the game on low end hardware. From what I hear story progression needs a good gaming computer to run that. That is why I pages igazor who is a mod expert.

Alright, thanks for your feedback! I'll try to stay away from playing with this much content for now, and if that doesn't solve the problem then I'll go ahead and uninstall. :smile:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    @igazor can this laptop handle story progression mod? Thanks
    Hi there.

Not sure where the above recommended requirements assessment was coming from on that system, but I guess it depends on who was doing the recommendations. Phoebe didn't mean that you cannot play on a laptop, she meant that laptops require stronger components to get the same results that desktops can get. Though it sounds like you have moved on from that part of the discussion.

Processor: You are right on the edge of expected playability there with respect the heavier hitting EPs. We would recommend a 2.4 GHz i5 or higher, and again laptops need more power. Some of the newest i3s are more than sufficient, but those are the ones are running over 3 GHz. Again, this one is right on the edge so different players' experiences with TS3 will vary. By the way, your processor isn't really quad core, I believe it has 2 cores (not 4). The game itself is only designed to use 2 cores anyway, but Windows and other processes running alongside of it can cause strangled processor syndrome far too easily as the game is being played on dual.

RAM: Again, a bit iffy. 4 GB total is just not enough when the game itself can call for and use up to almost 4 GB. Win 10 needs 2 GB or more for itself and the processes it's running during gameplay. And if you ever have any other apps like a web browser open during gameplay, that can kill performance across the board. Some/most programs will call for virtual memory to be used when RAM is too tight so that they can keep running, but TS3 does not handle virtual memory (paging) well and that can make the game unstable.

We recommend at least 6 GB, but at least 8 GB tends to work out better. This is the one component that most laptop owners can improve upon by adding more.

Graphics: The Intel integrated graphics have come a long way over the years. The base game and a couple of the earliest released EPs should be quite playable on your HD 620 although maybe not on the highest of Game Options graphics settings and not at very high resolutions. The heavy hitting EPs, Pets, Seasons (possibly IP and ITF) may be too much for it, especially as the game will call upon processor power and RAM that you do not have to pick up the slack where there is no dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics card of sufficient strength -- that would be an Nvidia GTX 1050 mobile or higher, or the equivalent on the AMD side, for the current new product lines.

NRaas StoryProgression:The impact of SP will vary widely from one user and one game to another. Some will barely feel its impact, others will find their games grind down to a halt or a laggy mess too easily, yet others will find themselves somewhere in between with things more tolerable. Again, as we are already on the edge here on the hardware front and the processor already has too much being thrown at it, SP will just add to the load. What would make it much worse would be running SP at Normal progression speeds (City Hall, NRaas > SP > General Options > Adjust Speed), perhaps try running it on Slow or Snail. The resident population of the worlds in play will also be a huge factor, the more sims SP has to push around and manage, the heavier the impact will be. Worlds themselves and how they are designed will also play a role in performance, some are just smoother to play than others. And some like Isla Paradiso (which you would not have) and Bridgeport (which you do) need some serious fixing up before they can become playable for any length of time. SP doesn't help as it keeps pushing the not actively being played sims around to places they cannot reach due to incessant routing failures in such worlds.

Sorry, but I really think Pets and Seasons would be no-goes on that system. How SP will then behave if tried again and at slow progression speeds would vary as described.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    I'm in the process of buying a new laptop the good people on here have given me some great advice on what to look for in my price range but I really want nraas mods especially story progression. I'm running it on my present laptop but only have a couple of the early expansions.

This is the laptop I'm looking at.
    Acer nitro 5
    Intel i5-8300H processor
    Ram 8gb/storage 1TB HDD
    Graphics: NVIDIA geforce GTX 1050

Does this laptop have the requirements to run the mods as well as the game.

Thank you in advance for any device.

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying a new laptop the good people on here have given me some great advice on what to look for in my price range but I really want nraas mods especially story progression. I'm running it on my present laptop but only have a couple of the early expansions.

Acer nitro 5
    Intel i5-8300H processor
    Ram 8gb/storage 1TB HDD

A laptop with those specs would be capable of carrying the entire game (all EPs) and a reasonable collection of mods on mostly high settings. It can be improved upon if your budget can withstand it, a 1050Ti or 1060 card would be a bit stronger, and while having an HDD only and no SSD to install on is fine, startups, saves, caching, and catalog builds in CAS and Build/Buy are much faster on SSDs. But large enough SSDs (at least 512 GB) do tend to drive the pricetags up.

As for NRaas StoryProgression, once we start talking about a suitable system such as this one, the impact will come down to not system component barriers any longer, but the populations and sizes of the worlds you are playing and how well made they are.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Bessieboo wrote: »

Acer nitro 5
    Intel i5-8300H processor
    Ram 8gb/storage 1TB HDD

A laptop with those specs would be capable of carrying the entire game (all EPs) and a reasonable collection of mods on mostly high settings. It can be improved upon if your budget can withstand it, a 1050Ti or 1060 card would be a bit stronger, and while having an HDD only and no SSD to install on is fine, startups, saves, caching, and catalog builds in CAS and Build/Buy are much faster on SSDs. But large enough SSDs (at least 512 GB) do tend to drive the pricetags up.

As for NRaas StoryProgression, once we start talking about a suitable system such as this one, the impact will come down to not system component barriers any longer, but the populations and sizes of the worlds you are playing and how well made they are.

Thank you for the advice. Still have a couple of months before i buy so will see if i can stretch to the 1050Ti graphics card. :)
  • silverwood02silverwood02 Posts: 73 Member
    I have a laptop and the 1050 card with 6 RAM, all works ok. But you have to cap the frame rate as I have been told otherwise its over 300FPS.
  • SimmerBrianSimmerBrian Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi! I'm having some issues with the sims 3. It's just laggy, and freezes WAY more than it should. I have a GTX 1060 3gb, 16gb of ram, An amd 6300 6-core 3.50 gb processor, run it on an ssd, and windows 10 professional. I have all expansions, about 3 stuff packs, a little cc, and a good probably 350 pieces of store content. I've done everything I could find to make it better, altered the 3-d application questions, made it recognize my GPU, changed the ram from 2 to 4, delete the necessary files from the sims 3 documents folder, don't play with maxis settings, ect. Please help! I love the sims 3 and it makes me sad that my brand new computer can't run it very well, it runs kind of okay but is a bit ridiculous, and yes i do know the sims 3 was just built crappily, but I've seen people run it good, with slightly worse hardware than me.
    Oh and I have nraas, overwatch, and error trap
    I was also wondering, if my video card is capable of running the game good? I know it should be, bu the sims 3 just hates new graphics cards, so I just don't get it, any info is appreciated! Thanks! Also sorry for explaining this in 3 postes, I just kept thinking of things to add
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @SimmerBrian Your computer should be able to run TS3 quite well, and your graphics card in particular is strong enough to handle the highest graphics settings. In fact, it's so powerful that it could throw excessively high frame rates if you don't cap them manually. If you haven't already done this, you should take care of it now, before doing any other troubleshooting.

To see your in-game frame rates, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-c) and enter "fps on" without quotes; a number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen. Your fps should never go above the refresh rate of your monitor. ("fps off" makes the number go away.) If you're seeing high rates, you can try enabling vertical sync via the built-in Nvidia Control Panel. If that doesn't work—it won't work at all in windowed mode—the next tool to try is Nvidia Inspector (free download). Here are screenshots of the setups for both tools, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Some of the steps you've taken are unnecessary, in particular whatever you did to "change the RAM from 2 to 4." TS3 can already use almost 4 GB RAM without any fix, and the technique described refers to the upper limit of the game's script heap, not memory. (It also miscounts the number of zeros, so that the number changes from 20 GB to 40.) Anyway, you can and should undo this step.

I'm not sure what you did with the 3D settings, but if you're using Nvidia GeForce, that could also explain at least part of why the game isn't running correctly. Try disabling or uninstalling the app to see if it helps.

If your game still runs slowly after all this, please run a dxdiag, paste the results on a free filesharing site like pastebin.com, and leave a link here. You'll need to break up the link; use spaces or something.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also list the packs you have installed, and the world(s) in which you're playing—some are better made than others.
    Thanks I will try
    I also don't understand about the Geforce thing you mentioned, by disabling or uninstalling it, that would mess with my display settings, my packs are all expansions, Diesel, and town life stuff. And I can change back the ram, i will also try the dx thing. Thanks :)